Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Thinking of getting Sky Sports package back on for the NFL and Premiership (soccer) has anybody got a listing for the NFL matches being showing?

Here's a list: http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12949,00.html

But a vast majority of "TBCs".
    Also how many matches are on the red button? Been years since watched it on the red buttn I forget.. was it 7 matches and 1 with constance updating of all the scores?

That package is gone, even though it was very popular. RedZone is on the red button.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Sky Sports show two live games every Sunday. You also have the red button option of the NFL Redzone. It's fairly chaotic because it's constantly leaping from game to game, but has no breaks at all, and you generally get to see every play of real significance. I wouldn't generally be a fan of it, and if there was a match on I didn't want to miss I'd just watch that, but occasionally find the Redzone feature good.

Later in the season, when there are Saturday matches you'll get those on Sky too.

If you got Sky Digital, you'd also have the late night game on Channel 4, and the MNF games on ESPN, which also has tonnes of college football and baseball!

Sounds crazy and messy! Back in the day you could actually pick differnt matches like what they do now for the Champions League Soccer on the red buttong. I much prefer that way!

Still gonna bite the bullet and get it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭evil_seed

does anyone here have nfl game pass and would you recommend it?

seriously thinking about getting it

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭ucd.1985

evil_seed wrote: »

Pm'd you my experience

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Its a great package,but you need a good internet connection and a decent spec PC/Laptop/Internet tablet to make it worth your while, preferably hooked up to your TV via HDMI.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

adrian522 wrote: »
    Its a great package,but you need a good internet connection and a decent spec PC/Laptop/Internet tablet to make it worth your while, preferably hooked up to your TV via HDMI.

My Internet isn't too good and I'm able to get good quality just watching it on my pc. It's probably the best quality stream I've ever seen. It also helps that if you watch games live it's at very off peak hours.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Well I think between 6pm and midnight on Sunday evening is pretty much peak time for Internet viewing.

What bitrate do you watch it at?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

Not sure of the exact bitrate, it's set to 3/5 on the yellow bars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I'm not that well up on the news and the US economy but one thing that struck me was the amount of empty seats at the Dolphins and the Bucs over the weekend.
    Not singling out just these two, just going on what I saw on Gampass for week one

The Jags have a long history of struggling to sell seats also

I don't know if this is a Florida economy issue, I suppose property or real estate as they say was a huge factor for Florida when it crashed, more so then other states.

Anyway, just an article if you look at these sort of issues
    Last season while the Tampa Bay Buccaneers were a success on the field, going 10-6 and remaining in the playoff race until the final game, the team was not as successful off the field.

Last season the Buccaneers failed to record a single sellout at 65,000-seat Raymond James Stadium and, as a result, had all home games blacked out within a 75-mile radius.

Buccaneers co-chairman Bryan Glazer told reporters recently that the team is “hoping” for sellouts this season:

“Obviously, the economy here is still in bad shape in the Tampa Bay area,” Glazer said. “But we think as the team wins and we move forward and the plan continues, the fans will start coming back. I think there are some people waiting to see what happens this year, but the plan continues to roll along. Each day, more and more people buy into it.”

“There is an increase in obviously the popularity of the two night games, but we still have a ways to go,” Glazer said. “We are still…the economy is still in the same situation it has been. We still have tickets to sell.”

So expect at least five or six blackouts in the Tampa Bay area again this season as the Bucs struggle to reconnect with their fans. Tampa is in a tough spot as the unemployment rate in Tampa hit 12.6 percent in December 2010. Thrown in the fact that the Buccaneers haven’t won a postseason game since their victory in Super Bowl XXXVII following the 2002 season and are 12 games under .500 in the last eight years, it is easy to see why fans are not clamoring to go to a Bucs game this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Tampa will be very lucky to get at most 5-6 sellouts let alone blackouts. Thr jags stadium looked really empty as well despite it being listed as 61k attending.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 816 ✭✭✭vinny chase

I've spent a fair bit of time in Tampa, and there really is something frustrating about why people there won't follow the local sports teams.

Back in '02 when they won the Superbowl I still had no massive problem getting tickets to games. The same is true of the Rays in baseball and the Lightning in hockey. I'd been at Rays' games where the ground looks about a quarter full.

At the same time, you'd routinely see big groups of people in bars and that on Sundays in Dolphins' jerseys or the usual Cowboys, Packers etc.

I think it goes back to the fact that the Buccs struggled so much in their early years that the local community never got behind them really.

A shame really, since the RayJay is a lot of fun on matchdays, and they're an exciting side to watch nowadays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Got lube?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/09/14/tom-brady-wants-the-fans-to-drink-a-lot-of-water/

I'm going to the game on Sunday and i'll be working nearly 20hrs straight on Saturday so I'm defly getting lubed up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Haha, the explanation that he meant water is straight from the Bill Belichick school of fúcking with the media. I love it :D

I posted on Neccesary Roughness a few months back as the series was starting

If you're interested, Terrell Owens plays a star cornerback in the season finale
    Does a decent job though he was realy just playing himself

On another note I watching the five series of Friday Night Lights again
    Can't believe I missed Nnamdi first time around, he plays a police officer in the Season Four premiere.
    He was excellent, future career in it for him

Trailer anyway if you want to catch up

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

It's a great product. I watch it on the highest setting and it never cuts out or stalls (looks like they buffer about a minute ahead so if there is any temporary drop in data-rate, you don't notice it). I have a standard enough eircom 8Mbps connection and have it connected via hdmi to my tv. The picture quality on all settings is very good, best thing I could say about it: you forget you're watching on a computer and think you're watching tv.

When watching games live a sunday, I like to switch between them depending on what's going on, which you can do quickly. I don't use the multi-game feature, as I find it too small to watch.

If you watch the games the next day, they remove all the ads & make it very seamless.

It's not cheap, so it has to be good, and it is. The only feature I'd like them to add is the ability to watch on two PCs simultaneously. I'd like to have one game on the tv and another one on my laptop. I guess this is to stop people sharing the subscription, but I think they could allow 2 connections from the same IP address.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

What's a good price or an American football ball in Ireland? Argos have ones for around €15 I think, the basic Wilson ones. I was in a sports store today (not one of the bigger ones) and was about to pick up a Nike ball and it was 30 quid! Found that very steep so I decided against it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    What's a good price or an American football ball in Ireland? Argos have ones for around €15 I think, the basic Wilson ones. I was in a sports store today (not one of the bigger ones) and was about to pick up a Nike ball and it was 30 quid! Found that very steep so I decided against it.

The €15 ones are cheap synthetic rubber and wont last long. The Nike ones are fairly decent and will last you longer. You will find them cheaper on Ebay. Look for a ball called a Wilson TDS on ebay solid ball and dirt cheap. We used them in the IAFL for a season or 2. Worked quite well.

The Wilson I had didn't last that long alright, still I got a fair amount of use out of it before it started to open up.

The Wilson I had didn't last that long alright, still I got a fair amount of use out of it before it started to open up.

Yeah any of the rubber ones fall apart quickly. The TDs is composite leather and they are tad more durable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Got one of these ones and it's a dream to throw around.

pDSP1-7265480p275w.jpg

• Advertisement

If you're going to Wembley they sell the offical NFL balls there as I remember

Tom_Brady wrote: »
    Got one of these ones and it's a dream to throw around.

pDSP1-7265480p275w.jpg

TDS is similar to that one but more durable. TB you should get yourself a TDS also cheap as chips.

mikemac wrote: »
    If you're going to Wembley they sell the offical NFL balls there as I remember

Only problem with those NFL balls unless you buy the real thing the rubber ones are crap and fall apart to easy. Never understood why they never sold the composite ones like Nike and Wilson for college and high school balls. Oh and because of the NFL logo you pay over the odds for the **** ones also. :D

None on eBay (at a good price) as far as I can tell. Dick's Sporting Goods have a few alright.

Only problem with those NFL balls unless you buy the real thing the rubber ones are crap and fall apart to easy.

I mean buying from the offical stands which are all around the stadium

Not the dodgy cockney wideboys who will be there too. ;)

None on eBay (at a good price) as far as I can tell. Dick's Sporting Goods have a few alright.

If you aren't in any rush for one. We will be ordering in bulk the end of the month and I can throw an extra one on the order for you. €25 each they usually work out for us.

mikemac wrote: »
    I mean buying from the offical stands which are all around the stadium

Not the dodgy cockney wideboys who will be there too. ;)

I knew what you meant but there is two types of NFL footballs. Real ones and Cheaper ones for the normal Joe. The cheaper ones are synthetic rubber and are rubbish I find. With the college balls you get cheap, middle and real ye know. With NFL you get cheap and expensive and there is no mix of quality in between. And the NFL logo on it gives them the right to bump up the price :D

If you aren't in any rush for one. We will be ordering in bulk the end of the month and I can throw an extra one on the order for you. €25 each they usually work out for us.
    That could work, and no - no rush for one. Cheers TO.

That could work, and no - no rush for one. Cheers TO.

No worries remind me at the end of the month start of October and I will get one to you and we can work it out then. Make sure to badger me about it though as I forget things very easily :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Anyone got any recommendations for good AF iPod Apps?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement