Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

mikemac wrote: »
    CBS did a feature on Drew Rosenhaus

He's an arrogant SOB but he's successful at it

Interesting anyway and up on their website
    http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=7384066n&tag=contentBody;storyMediaBox

He's the real life Ari Gold, just without the weakness of, you know, loving his family.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Derrick Mason has joined the Texans for an undisclosed draft pick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Conditional seventh round pick

Jacoby Jones may be the most unpopular man in Houston, eleven targets on Sunday and one catch. Sloppy route runner despite his speed and potential.

Mason can offer more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

Have to say i'm a massive Mason fan. I was gutted when himself and the titans parted ways. May not be the quickest but excelent route running and safe hands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Cam Newton wrote: »
    Anyone else secretly hoping their team sends a 4th rounder to Seattle and try to reignite Aaron Curry?

I am :)

Curry is now a Raider :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

Cam Newton wrote: »
    Curry is now a Raider :(

Any news on what they gave up? Good trade if you ask me, Curry still has the potential to turn into a productive player and if he can fit into the Raiders system he has all the attributes to be successful. With so much young talent at the Raiders this could be a great signing

• Registered Users Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

frostie500 wrote: »
    Any news on what they gave up? Good trade if you ask me, Curry still has the potential to turn into a productive player and if he can fit into the Raiders system he has all the attributes to be successful. With so much young talent at the Raiders this could be a great signing

A 7th-rounder in 2012 and a conditional mid-rounder in 2013. Nice move by the Raiders with very little risk. He turned out to be a huge bust in Seattle though!!

Have to say i'm a massive Mason fan. I was gutted when himself and the titans parted ways. May not be the quickest but excelent route running and safe hands.

Definitly

Best reciever the Ravens ever had

In time Anquan Boldin should take this mantle but Mason will go down as a Baltimore legend

Leader of the Ravens offense for a long while, here he is playing while dislocating his shoulder three times
    Wow :cool:

Almost won a Superbowl with the Titans also

Time was right to release him from the Ravens, the Ravens now have Boldin, Lee Evans and some speedy rookies
    Tennessee was still his main team, Ring of Honour in Tennessee or Baltimore some day soon I guess

An interesting article on the tasks of a QB as the playclock winds down

It's long so I'll just link it
    http://www.cowboys24x7.com/columns/Pre-Snap-Read/A-BUSY-40-SECONDS

Good read imo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

Brandon Lloyd is off to the Rams according to ESPN: http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7115217/denver-broncos-trade-receiver-brandon-lloyd-st-louis-rams-sources-say

Pretty good move for them imo, probably gonna be a fifth round pick for him, and he could make Bradford look a lot better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

The Raiders will also have to pick up Palmer's Bengals contract of $7.4 million. That coupled with a first round pick means there's a huge risk been taken on Palmer. Then again, without the pick and money, there was a risk bringing him over.

Will be interesting to see how it develops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Lions just traded for Ronnie Brown from Eagles and sent Jerome Harrison to Eagles and an undisclosed draft pick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Rex says if the Chargers had hired him in 2007, he’d have a won a couple rings by now.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/10/19/rex-says-if-chargers-had-hired-him-in-2007-hed-have-a-couple-rings/

Seriously can anybody just shut this fool up? its just absolute drivel right now.

He's gone from saying the Jets are definitely going to win a Superbowl to if i had a different team to the Jets i would be able to win a Superbowl...great vote of confidence in your team right there.

Rex is still bitter and feels cheated he got passed over in Baltimore

But you won't find many Ravens fans who want him back

In contrast, Brian Billick is still highly thought of and acts with class, he's welcome in Baltimore anyday and gets a great reaction when he arrives with Fox

Been watching a Jon Gruden documentary and showing how a young Chris Simms was struggling badly with the verbage, I think verbage is the correct term

He'd be given a play and be told to repeat in the huddle and he'd constantly mess it up

Gruden then said Favre grasped it all pretty quickly and they showed a few clips of Favre listing off plays no problem. Gruden spent a few years in Green Bay

Could a coach in the Irish league post up a typical play? Just to see how long and complicated it is.
    Or are they top secret? :)
    Do ye include audibles and a kill option?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Hazys wrote: »
    Rex says if the Chargers had hired him in 2007, he’d have a won a couple rings by now.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/10/19/rex-says-if-chargers-had-hired-him-in-2007-hed-have-a-couple-rings/

Seriously can anybody just shut this fool up? its just absolute drivel right now.

He's gone from saying the Jets are definitely going to win a Superbowl to if i had a different team to the Jets i would be able to win a Superbowl...great vote of confidence in your team right there.

It's Rex being Rex but in no way was it a comment on the Jets, just that those Chargers teams had the talent to win Superbowls and, honestly, it's hard to argue that point.

Could a coach in the Irish league post up a typical play? Just to see how long and complicated it is.

Nowhere near as complicated as the NFL. Even College and High School playbooks are less complicated than the Pros.

A couple of examples of plays I used in 2010:

Twins Razor 32 dive

or

Trips right 2 lazer 47 speed sweep

or

Twins fake 32 dive 965

Now having said that my playbook has gotten more advanced in 2011 and for next year but I would rather not post the play names in here :D They include hot routes, Audibles and Options.

Edit: I will say though as attendances have gotten better for UCD and as the program grows I found it much easier to implement tougher playbooks. But the problem is with Advanced or hard to understand playbooks is that players who dont give 100% are constantly lost or getting plays wrong. Consistency is key and we don't always get that. That and UCD gets a bucket load of rookies every year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Syferus wrote: »
    It's Rex being Rex but in no way was it a comment on the Jets, just that those Chargers teams had the talent to win Superbowls and, honestly, it's hard to argue that point.

It has to be taken as a slight against his team. He obviously didnt mean to say it but indirectly he is saying his Jets team is not as good as the Chargers were and if he had a good team he would have won the Superbowl.

Anyway Norv's response:
    “I hadn’t seen his quote and I was a little bit surprised by the call,” Turner said. “And then after I saw the quote, I didn’t have a chance to ask him this, but I was wondering if he had those rings with the ones he’s guaranteed the last couple of years.”

Burn

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lionbacker

Lions just traded for Ronnie Brown from Eagles and sent Jerome Harrison to Eagles and an undisclosed draft pick
    Trade has been voided due to apparent health issues with Jerome Harrison.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

Been watching a Jon Gruden documentary and showing how a young Chris Simms was struggling badly with the verbage, I think verbage is the correct term

He'd be given a play and be told to repeat in the huddle and he'd constantly mess it up

Gruden then said Favre grasped it all pretty quickly and they showed a few clips of Favre listing off plays no problem. Gruden spent a few years in Green Bay

as Tallaght has already pointed out NFL plays would be more complex and they would normally call two plays in the huddle in the NFL anyway one run and one pass so they can kill out of the deemed play based on the look of the defense.

This has me looking back at my old 2008 and 2009 playbooks and its funny how simple it is in comparison to NCAA or College Football playbooks

Tight RIP Super Power right QB Right. (Run)

King Right Jet 637 Double check swing. (Pass)

thats without an motions etc. Far more complex in the NFL if you google you can find old bits of NFL playbooks online

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

Hazys wrote: »

Rex is like marmite...

While he can go overboard with his bragging (like above) generally he's interesting to listen to IMO and he can be quite funny.
    Plus it's hard to argue with his record right now. I wouldn't label him a fool though, he's way more meticulous than his statements would have you think.

D3PO wrote: »
    . Far more complex in the NFL if you google you can find old bits of NFL playbooks online

2004 Pats Offensive PLaybook

http://www.scribd.com/doc/62247644/2004-Patriots

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

I'm being really lazy, sorry, but any word on tickets for the Notre Dame V Navy game?

as Tallaght has already pointed out NFL plays would be more complex and they would normally call two plays in the huddle in the NFL anyway one run and one pass so they can kill out of the deemed play based on the look of the defense.

This has me looking back at my old 2008 and 2009 playbooks and its funny how simple it is in comparison to NCAA or College Football playbooks

Tight RIP Super Power right QB Right. (Run)

King Right Jet 637 Double check swing. (Pass)

thats without an motions etc. Far more complex in the NFL if you google you can find old bits of NFL playbooks online

Those plays were taken from a college playbook ;) For the most part High School and College playbooks are basic enough. When it comes to the playbook the complexity is down to whoever the head coach is. Most keep it simple for players to pick up. These plays you mentioned as well as the ones I did would be very similar to that used by high schools or colleges.

Looking at two playbooks I have here in front of me one from a high school and one from a D2 college they are handy enough. The difference is some like to use packages and each package will have an average of 4 or 5 plays per package. But the play calling is basic enough.

But if anyone wants to see examples of playbooks go here:

https://fastandfuriousfootball.com/

It has old NFL, College and High School playbooks. I have used it over the years for ideas. Love reading playbooks one of the things thats helped me grow as a coach that with experience and Coach friends in the US and clinics.

Those plays were taken from a college playbook ;) For the most part High School and College playbooks are basic enough. When it comes to the playbook the complexity is down to whoever the head coach is. Most keep it simple for players to pick up. These plays you mentioned as well as the ones I did would be very similar to that used by high schools or colleges.

yeah you were a lazy sod coach stealing playbook plays :p;) albeit I suggest the less complex plays in a college book.

but yeah your right most keep it simple sometimes less is more. Just take an inside Run to the right for example now they are still basic but you get the idea

Dive right
    42 Dive
    Trey left 42 dive
    Iso Trips left 42 dive

if you draw the 4 of those plays up they are all identical on the board, man for man.

sometimes the complexity is there just for the sake of it

Do you have a flea-flicker in your playbook guys? :D

yeah you were a lazy sod coach stealing playbook plays :p;) albeit I suggest the less complex plays in a college book.

Borrowing :D Come a long way since then. Have to start somewhere haha
    but yeah your right most keep it simple sometimes less is more. Just take an inside Run to the right for example now they are still basic but you get the idea

Very true.
    Dive right
    42 Dive
    Trey left 42 dive
    Iso Trips left 42 dive

if you draw the 4 of those plays up they are all identical on the board, man for man.

Yeah pretty much and as you pointed out above the run itself is the same but the formation will change or the blocking scheme will change etc etc hence where the complexity of play calling comes in.

sometimes the complexity is there just for the sake of it

I found starting out with UCD sometimes basic is best and then progress over the next couple of seasons.

you mustn't watch too much IAFL football :p:p

best trick play Ive seen in the IAFL was a fake extra point by the Dublin Rebels against DCU executed to perfection.

I found starting out with UCD sometimes basic is best and then progress over the next couple of seasons.

Nail on the head.

• Advertisement

Now that would be telling. But yes I do but haven't used it yet. Was actually going to use it against the Dragons last season but one of my linemen jumped so I changed the play after we lost 5 yards.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement