Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Wow, crazy news about Jerome Harrison.

Philly discovered a brain tumour in a test that without the trade he wouldn't have had.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Is there anywhere I can watch some behind the scenes footage such as dressing room stuff, coaches talks during time-outs, what the QB is saying to his offence, etc?

Also, is there anywhere to watch Hard Knocks online? I've searched but only found the Jets one which I really enjoyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Paully D wrote: »
    Is there anywhere I can watch some behind the scenes footage such as dressing room stuff, coaches talks during time-outs, what the QB is saying to his offence, etc?

Also, is there anywhere to watch Hard Knocks online? I've searched but only found the Jets one which I really enjoyed.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-films-sound-efx

Sound FX sounds like what you're looking for. Things like America's Game and A Football Life (both segmented on NFL.com as well) would be up that sort of alley in the clips they feature too, indeed most of NFL Films out-put uses mic audio quite liberally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

There's some really good shows on ESPN as part of Year of the Quarterback you might like Paully, especially The Depth Chart series which looks at the QB position at a number of esteemed college teams. The Auburn episode was great, I'm about to watch the Oklahoma State episode and Wisconsin is on in a few days. The Elite 11 series was great too, and of course the Tebow and Brady documentaries are among the very best things ESPN has done.

You'd also love Jon Gruden's QB camp where he just sits down with rookie QBs and goes through plays with them. Brilliant show once you can look past Gruden's infuriatingly positive outlook about everything! :pac:

Fantastic stuff. I'll check all that out over the weekend :)

I've got to say this forum is probably the best that I've encountered on Boards since I joined. Everyone's willing to give excellent help and advice to posters.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Check out Year of the Quarterback, it's up on youtube
    edit, sure this was posted above, I didn't read before typing

They cover Jake Locker, Tyrod Tyler and I've forgotten the other QB as they train for the draft.
    So working on their combine drills and meeting agents and getting coaching
    It's like one long job interview in a way

There is also an episode on Tebow
    I'm not going to get into of if people rate him or not, that's for the other thread
    But shows a lot of behind the scenes action of high school football which you don't often get to see. Seems to be almost a religion in Florida
    Youtube again

Cam Newton wrote: »
    You'd also love Jon Gruden's QB camp where he just sits down with rookie QBs

This guy, this guy, this guy, I tell you this guy is a REAL football player :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

Probably one of the best segments I've seen done by NFL Network was when prior to the draft Steve Mariucci was going through some drills with Christian Ponder and Blaine Gabbert. Worth checking out if your a fan of the NFL and I would watch an awful lot more of NFL Network if they put out more shows of this quality

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-draft/09000d5d81f00f86/Game-Changers-QB-film-study

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Just finished the Oklahoma State episode of The Depth Chart. Fantastic stuff, Brandon Weeden is so God damn likeable. Looking forward to that showdown with Oklahoma even more now, bigger than Bama - LSU imo. Would definitely recommend thus series to anyone who hasn't seen it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Paully D wrote: »
    Fantastic stuff. I'll check all that out over the weekend :)

I've got to say this forum is probably the best that I've encountered on Boards since I joined. Everyone's willing to give excellent help and advice to posters.

Totally agreed with that, I was in your position this time last year trying to find out stuff and everyone was great. It's great just reading the reasoned arguments too and you quickly pick up on stuff along the way.
    You'd also love Jon Gruden's QB camp where he just sits down with rookie QBs..
    This guy, this guy, this guy, I tell you this guy is a REAL football player

It's quite funny seeing him so excited sitting down with the QB's walking through the MNF. He's like a kid sitting down with his hero and being able to talk football.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

I'm watching Gruden talk with Locker and he's brilliant. I'm laughing here.

As Locker ran into a defender with his right shoulder. Gruden: "We throw with that shoulder, you're aware of that are ya?" is hilarious.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

I'm watching Gruden talk with Locker and he's brilliant. I'm laughing here.

As Locker ran into a defender with his right shoulder. Gruden: "We throw with that shoulder, you're aware of that are ya?" is hilarious.

As the years go one Gruden is turning into a space cadet. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Cam Newton on Boards... giz an autograph!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

NFL GAMEPASS OFFER!

€74 instead of €170!! only 19hours left... get on it!

http://livingsocial.com/cities/513/deals/162307-unlimited-live-access-to-nfl-game-pass

That's a cracking deal, gamepass is quality

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

mikemac wrote: »
    That's a cracking deal, gamepass is quality
    Yeah I couldnt recommend it highly enough, at 74 quid you cant go wrong

NFL GAMEPASS OFFER!

€74 instead of €170!! only 19hours left... get on it!

http://livingsocial.com/cities/513/deals/162307-unlimited-live-access-to-nfl-game-pass

So, so tempted. However, I went on a spending spree this week and I'm going away next week so can't afford it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

themont85 wrote: »

Some of the reaction to this by a certain set of Eagles fans on a certain forum made me literally get sick. Some twisted cnuts out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

presume they were wishing death??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,249 ✭✭✭Juwwi

Just wondering out of curiosity outside Ireland/England and sky sports how popular is American Football in Europe in the likes of France,Germany and Italy or is there other countrys its popular ?

Thanks in advance.

• Advertisement

robbie1977 wrote: »
    Just wondering out of curiosity outside Ireland/England and sky sports how popular is American Football in Europe in the likes of France,Germany and Italy or is there other countrys its popular ?

Thanks in advance.

Extremely popular especially in Germany and Italy.

Their Semi-pro and Amateur top leagues get the same attendances at games than the Airtricity league teams do here.

http://www.efaf.info/

The above link shows you how big their actual leagues have grown in the last 20 odd years. Add that to actual NFL fans and they are just as mad about American football as us lot.

Edit: To add ESPN show most of the Coverage for Football in Germany and Austria and a few of the other european countries carry football on their channels also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

pretty big, a few nfl players came through nfl europe

And no better examples then Kurt Warner or Jake Delhomme and there are others

It's very big in Germany, huge amount of supporters over there and they have an excellent league

On top of that there are a lot of US servicemen in Germany

pretty big, a few nfl players came through nfl europe

It should be said just about all them of them where US players, not national ones. I can't even recall a non-placekicker from Europe who played in a regular season game that played in NFL Europe.

Germany was obviously the heart of NFL Europe so it must be maddening for German fans that the NFL chose to exclusively focus on England to begin with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

Syferus wrote: »
    It should be said just about all them of them where US players, not national ones. I can't even recall a non-placekicker from Europe who played in a regular season game that played in NFL Europe.

Germany was obviously the heart of NFL Europe so it must be maddening for German fans that the NFL chose to exclusively focus on England to begin with.

I can't understand that either tbh. Soccer is king in both countries but the UK and Irish market is flooded with other team sports with a good following already. The German market to me seems ripe to exploit given the level of interest there already.

I know the UK TV market and language thing are obvious incentives for the NFL but I still think Germany would have been a far more logical choice.

Syferus wrote: »

The better example of players coming through Europe wouldn't be guys who played in NFL Europe but guys like Vollmer who played youth football in Germany and ended up going to college in the US and now on to the pros. There are large amounts of Scandanavians and Germans in the NCAA system at the moment especially throughout FCS,DII and DIII footballl.

The future of Europeans playing in the Pros is them getting recruited by US colleges from youth systems in Europe and then they make big impacts and get picked up in the Draft or from the FA.

NFL Europe was a way for the NFL to spread the brand into Europe when the Interest in Europe was at a high supposed high. But as the game grew on people and the lack of talent professionally fell people stopped going to NFL Europe games. NFL realised they weren't making money and dropped it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭heyjude

They were discussing on NFL.com, the terrible season that the Colts are having without Peyton Manning and said that if they finish with the worst record, they would face the option of taking Andrew Luck, who they say is the best qb prospect in a generation or "You poach an incredible haul of draft picks (and one exec intimated to me Luck's draft rights could reap two full years of a team's picks) to hand to the quarterback you already have, who happens to be an all-time great."

Now, a generation is usually regarded as 20 years, so is he likely to be a better qb than any qb drafted in the past 20 years ? I know they used the word 'prospect' and I know he's very highly touted, but ?

What is truly shocking though, is the suggestion that the trade price could be two full years draft picks(so roughly 14 draft picks), could he possibly be worth that much ? and would anyone even consider paying such a price ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

heyjude wrote: »
    They were discussing on NFL.com, the terrible season that the Colts are having without Peyton Manning and said that if they finish with the worst record, they would face the option of taking Andrew Luck, who they say is the best qb prospect in a generation or "You poach an incredible haul of draft picks (and one exec intimated to me Luck's draft rights could reap two full years of a team's picks) to hand to the quarterback you already have, who happens to be an all-time great."

Now, a generation is usually regarded as 20 years, so is he likely to be a better qb than any qb drafted in the past 20 years ? I know they used the word 'prospect' and I know he's very highly touted, but ?

What is truly shocking though, is the suggestion that the trade price could be two full years draft picks(so roughly 14 draft picks), could he possibly be worth that much ? and would anyone even consider paying such a price ?

Its interesting. I personally think that whoever gets the 1st overall pick should take Luck without consideration. But if a GM is pretty sold on Barkely (if he declares) and should be in a position to draft him if they trade down (3/4) then trading down, gaining a bunch of early draft picks for the next 2 drafts and in the process, get their franchise QB in Barkley.

Its to early to tell at this point, as we are not even sure Luck will come out, but things will get very tasty come March/April next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

TaosHum wrote: »
    Its interesting. I personally think that whoever gets the 1st overall pick should take Luck without consideration. But if a GM is pretty sold on Barkely (if he declares) and should be in a position to draft him if they trade down (3/4) then trading down, gaining a bunch of early draft picks for the next 2 drafts and in the process, get their franchise QB in Barkley.

Its to early to tell at this point, as we are not even sure Luck will come out, but things will get very tasty come March/April next year.

Well he doesn't have much option in that. He's finished his degree this year so he's definitly coming out. also, there is actually a good few teams who are in serious contention who could pass on Luck which is a surprise given how good of a prospect he is.

Rams - Sam Bradford number 1# overall pick two years ago, would you they really give up on him now? considering what they could get for the number #1 position I doubt it so I think the Rams would pass on Luck.

Panthers - Cam Newton last years number pick who has started well, no way Panthers take Luck.

Colts - One of the GOATs as QB on their roster, if he's 100% healthy very tempting to trade down and go for a superbowl over the next 2 years. Tough choice.

Vikings - A lot will depend on how Ponder performs for the rest of the season but giving on a 1st round pick after a year would be pretty stupid. But they could draft Luck and trade Ponder.

• Advertisement

That would make Miami the first team you'd be 100% sure of taking Luck if they had first overall, indeed you'd imagine in the event of the team with the #1 pick trading down they'd also have to be a front-runner.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement