Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

Have seen a few articles recently about how the NFL should adopt an NBA style Draft lottery instead of the current system because of the Colts and Fins supposedly "tanking" this season in order to draft Andrew Luck.

What would you guys think if they NFL made the move to go with the lottery?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

TaosHum wrote: »
    Have seen a few articles recently about how the NFL should adopt an NBA style Draft lottery instead of the current system because of the Colts and Fins supposedly "tanking" this season in order to draft Andrew Luck.

What would you guys think if they NFL made the move to go with the lottery?

Wouldn't it defeat the purpose of the draft in the first place though?

It would probably stop teams tanking but could you imagine the ridiculous trading that would come out of it. Imagine the Superbowl winner getting the first pick and deciding fook it lets barter up that 1st pick for many others knowing they would get them through desperate teams.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

It would probably stop teams tanking but could you imagine the ridiculous trading that would come out of it. Imagine the Superbowl winner getting the first pick and deciding fook it lets barter up that 1st pick for many others knowing they would get them through desperate teams.

Nah man doesn't work like that. The 16 worst teams would be in the lottery. The top 16 picks stay in order.

Nah man doesn't work like that. The 16 worst teams would be in the lottery. The top 16 picks stay in order.

Ah cool dont know much about the nba :D when he said lottery i presumed free for all type.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

Ah cool dont know much about the nba :D when he said lottery i presumed free for all type.

Yeah I should have pointed that out :o

Personally I wouldn't be too in favour of it, as it would take away one of the more unique parts of the game, in that the worst teams get the 1st shot at the best talent available. Think it could be alot more difficult for bad teams to get better if they are continuously picking in the 10-16 range.

Also,I really dont believe teams are deliberately tanking their seasons in order to get the number 1 pick. It just doesn't benefit anyone associated with the team, be it the GM, Coaching staff and players.

• Advertisement

TaosHum wrote: »
    Yeah I should have pointed that out :o

Personally I wouldn't be too in favour of it, as it would take away one of the more unique parts of the game, in that the worst teams get the 1st shot at the best talent available. Think it could be alot more difficult for bad teams to get better if they are continuously picking in the 10-16 range.

Also,I really dont believe teams are deliberately tanking their seasons in order to get the number 1 pick. It just doesn't benefit anyone associated with the team, be it the GM, Coaching staff and players.

Honestly it doesn't bother me if teams tank so they can get Luck or their best man in the draft. They have to re-build somehow and if means losing games is the way to do it why not ye know. Once they don't make a habit of it every year why not ye know. Their seasons are right off already anyways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

The whole tanking thing is just bull**** anyway. Do you really think Sparano tanked the season so he can be fired and the next head coach can pick Luck? Hardly. I'd be surprised if cadlwell keeps his job but considering he was only ever a pupper coach he still has a chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

The whole tanking thing is just bull**** anyway. Do you really think Sparano tanked the season so he can be fired and the next head coach can pick Luck? Hardly. I'd be surprised if cadlwell keeps his job but considering he was only ever a pupper coach he still has a chance.

Coaches don't tank, but players sure as hell give up on them which is as good as tanking.

Im on the fence on the tanking as to if its real or not but as I said it doesn't bother me though. But there have been suggestions made that there agreements in place between the GM/Owners and the Coaches. So when you ask would Sparano do it? Probably if he is asked to and guaranteed his job for the following season. But again they are only murmurings.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Perhaps something where the 3 worst teams go into a lottery with each obviously having a 33.33% chance of landing the first pick would be better?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Cam Newton wrote: »
    Coaches don't tank, but players sure as hell give up on them which is as good as tanking.

Players aren't purposely losing so they can draft luck/higher on the board which the generally understanding of the word tanking I think. I don't think a guy like Jake long is oging "gonna let this guy go by me unblocked cos I want us to lose this game".

Im on the fence on the tanking as to if its real or not but as I said it doesn't bother me though. But there have been suggestions made that there agreements in place between the GM/Owners and the Coaches. So when you ask would Sparano do it? Probably if he is asked to and guaranteed his job for the following season. But again they are only murmurings.

Rumour is Dolphins have already made contact with Cowher about the head coaching job. I'd be very surprised if he stays on or any coach who goes 0-16. As Cam Brady says, if the players have quit on the coach then he can never be kept on really, it just sends out a terrible message.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

The Colts are nothing without an elite QB, and the Dolphins have been looking for the next Marino for a long time. Neither Sparano nor Caldwell deserve their jobs anyway. The Dolphins definitely look like they are sucking for Luck. If they both go 0-16, who gets him? Am I right in saying the team with a weeker schedule gets him? In that case the Dolphins aren't in luck (pardon the pun) because their division is very strong and the Colts division is very weak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Tie breakers
    • Strength of schedule for the previous season is the first tie-breaker for teams with the same winning percentage. The team with the lowest strength of schedule percentage wins the tiebreaker and picks ahead of all other teams with the same record.

• Divisional and conference records are the next step in the tie-breaking procedure.

• As a last resort, a coin toss is used to determine the order of selection for teams with the same winning percentage.

ESPN have the strength of schedule list
    http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/35095/2011-strength-of-schedule

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

I can't believe players and coaches would tank, when these guys have jobs and contracts at stake. Regarding my Colts, I just think it's difficult for players who are used to winning regularly, with Super Bowl aspirations, to go out and make the hits (in a sport as dangerous as this), and have the motivation required to win.

We do know the value of a Franchise quarterback as much as anyone though, and with only a few years left in Manning, the timing is good. But no way are these guys tanking. Just that 2% can be the difference between 8-0 and 0-8.

matthew8 wrote: »
    The Colts are nothing without an elite QB, and the Dolphins have been looking for the next Marino for a long time. Neither Sparano nor Caldwell deserve their jobs anyway. The Dolphins definitely look like they are sucking for Luck. If they both go 0-16, who gets him? Am I right in saying the team with a weeker schedule gets him? In that case the Dolphins aren't in luck (pardon the pun) because their division is very strong and the Colts division is very weak.
    Stronger Schedule.

edit: Weaker. My head is working backwards. that's only fair though. If you lose to the Jags and Titans twice, you are definitely the worst team in the league lol

davyjose wrote: »
    Regarding my Colts, I just think it's difficult for players who are used to winning regularly, with Super Bowl aspirations, to go out and make the hits (in a sport as dangerous as this), and have the motivation required to win.

Just a contrast, Jared Allen is putting up DPOTY numbers when his team has a horrible losing record

I'd lay that one on the coaches in Indy

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

I'm not quite sure where to put this. I didn't want to start up a new thread so said I'd post it here because I think it qualifies as being pretty awesome and is football related.

It's basically about a guy in high school who's confined to a wheelchair. In the last game of the season he gets to come on the field and scores a touchdown. I thought it was pretty cool and nice touch.

There's a video of him scoring his touchdown below the article, which can be found here.
    Trent Glaze always gives 110 percent.

The Ohio high school student, who has muscular dystrophy and uses a wheelchair, always dreamed of playing football. But physical limitations made it impossible, ABC reported.

That didn't stop him from joining the Fairfield Union High School football team, according to his interview with ABC.

After the clock ran out on Friday's game against Teay's Valley High, Glaze had one of his biggest wishes come true, according to the Lancaster Eagle Gazette. Both teams took the field for one last play, and the senior wheeled himself into the end zone for a touchdown.

"I still get butterflies thinking about it," he told local station 10TV.

Glaze was also named a team captain this year, and even took the school's homecoming king crown, according to the local station. But nothing seems to top this experience.

"It was his opportunity to shine," Fairfield Union coach Tom McCurdy told 10TV. "He's my right-hand man. He's always telling me what we need to do [and] what needs to improve."

According to the Gazette, McCurdy says Glaze one day hopes to become a coach himself, and he could see it happening. "His goal is he wants to coach. He listens hard to what we try to teach, and he gets after the guys," the coach said.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Jopari87

I find it hard to believe that NFL players would tank a season. NFL is too physical that players get injured if they let up.

Many players, like Wayne and Mathis, are also playing for a contract also, so tanking will hardly be in their interests. Also players who make it as far as the NFL are fairly driven and hate losing. And I doubt current NFL players are thinking let's get Luck.

Teams wouldn't be long in cutting players who are putting in effort, ala Bernard Berrian.

Finally for people saying owners want to tank the season to get Luck, the likes of Dolphins are already struggling to fill the stadium so going 0-16 wouldn't help.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

I'm not quite sure where to put this. I didn't want to start up a new thread so said I'd post it here because I think it qualifies as being pretty awesome and is football related.

It's basically about a guy in high school who's confined to a wheelchair. In the last game of the season he gets to come on the field and scores a touchdown. I thought it was pretty cool and nice touch.

There's a video of him scoring his touchdown below the article, which can be found here.
    He Fumbled on the 2 yard line. Awful player! Maybe worse then Tebow!

;)

Seriously touching story. Fair play to him.

mikemac wrote: »
    Just a contrast, Jared Allen is putting up DPOTY numbers when his team has a horrible losing record

I'd lay that one on the coaches in Indy

Jared Allen was a shambles a year ago. Right after the Vikings dropped from an elite team, to a dire team. The coaching sucks in Indy, no doubt. But the players' psychology is the key here. You're talking about potential Hofers looking like the amateurs. Going 0-8 is very, very difficult to do with guys like Freeney, Mathis, Clark, Wayne, Saturday on your team.

• Advertisement

Carlton Mitchell? CARLTON MITCHELL!?!?!

http://www.stationcaster.com/stations/wknr/media/mpeg/11_03_11___The_Tirade-1320343425.mp3

Best rant ever, absolutely hilarious :D

Carlton Mitchell? CARLTON MITCHELL!?!?!

http://www.stationcaster.com/stations/wknr/media/mpeg/11_03_11___The_Tirade-1320343425.mp3

Best rant ever, absolutely hilarious :D

Truly awesome rant in stitches here haha :D You made my night dude.

I didn't see it in the gameweek thread, may as well add it

Sanchez%252520flinch.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

^^^^^^

Beautiful

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

I'm getting infuriated by the Browns offense. I'm a Ravens fan but I like the Browns because I feel for them as we stole their franchise. Their OL and TEs are pretty good, but everywhere else is shocking. The running backs are playing extremely poorly and Pat Shurmur seems inept at play-calling. I mean, you have a 3rd round pick in his 2nd year at QB and going extremely pass-heavy? Come on. Colt McCoy's getting no WR help either. I think they should trade for Michael Bush. He performs for the Raiders every time he starts and the Browns have draft picks while the raiders need them. Signing Bush would allow the Browns to balance out the offense. On Sunday they were schooled by the Texans, who managed to destroy a great defense despite missing their top WR. They should try to emulate Houston's great offense and use their RBs and TEs as much as possible. Also, stop starting this Massaquoi guy, he's not very good at all.

mikemac wrote: »
    I didn't see it in the gameweek thread, may as well add it

Sanchez%252520flinch.gif

The best bit was the aftermath. He then tries to block the CB and gets owned :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Danger_dave1

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7218353/quarterbacking-made-simple

Interesting article on how Harbaugh has improved Smith's game.

There's badass, and then there's the Brian Cushing standard of badass, which is pretty much Greek mythology style badass.

An example of this would be doing something badass such as laying out an offensive lineman on his ass, then taking off your helmet and headbutting him, while he still wears his. Fast forward to 2:35 and behold the Brian Cushing standard of badass:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

An example of this would be doing something badass such as laying out an offensive lineman on his ass, then taking off your helmet and headbutting him, while he still wears his. Fast forward to 2:35 and behold the Brian Cushing standard of badass:

More dumbass than badass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

There's badass, and then there's the Brian Cushing standard of badass, which is pretty much Greek mythology style badass.

ROIDS GOOD!!!

He seems like good craic tho. He was totally in the right... until he tried the headbutt. Eejit :P

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement