Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

should actually change his name to Ndumbdumb Suh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Dan Orlovsky - the QB with a kickers name - starts for Indy at the Pats this weekend. It's gonna be a bloodbath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Cam Newton wrote: »
    Dan Orlovsky - the QB with a kickers name - starts for Indy at the Pats this weekend. It's gonna be a bloodbath.

Ah don't go hexing the game. :D Our secondary still have the potential to make any QB look awesome haha :D

I will change my username to Dan Orlovsky if the Colts finish within 10 points of us, that's how confident I am.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

I will change my username to Dan Orlovsky if the Colts finish within 10 points of us, that's how confident I am.

Quoting just in case it does happen :P No ninja edits on my watch!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Line for the Colts game: Patriots by 21. I'd still back the Pats to beat the spread.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

matthew8 wrote: »
    Line for the Colts game: Patriots by 21. I'd still back the Pats to beat the spread.

I think that would have to be the highest line i've ever seen for an NFL game, its like the pats are playing a completely different sport!

There's something so poetic about the fact the last time Orlovsky started a game in this league, his team were confirmed as the first ever 0-16 team.

There's something so poetic about the fact the last time Orlovsky started a game in this league, his team were confirmed as the first ever 0-16 team.

The fact that intentionally walking out of your own endzone to avoid a sack and subsequently giving up a safety is referred to as "doing a dan orlovsky" says it all. In a 0-16 season they lost that game by those two points. This game is going to be seriously lolworthy

The funny thing is, I don't think he even meant it. He thought the flag was for a false start! :D

• Advertisement

The funny thing is, I don't think he even meant it. He thought the flag was for a false start! :D

it was still one of the funniest things i have ever seen in the NFL. It was like watching something out of that NFL top 10 episode on the NFLs worst teams ever (essential viewing simply for comedy value, it's absolutely ****ing hilarious)

spiralism wrote: »
    it was still one of the funniest things i have ever seen in the NFL. It was like watching something out of that NFL top 10 episode on the NFLs worst teams ever (essential viewing simply for comedy value, it's absolutely ****ing hilarious)

I kind of feel bad for anyone backing up a top QB. :D You can see when they play their first few games they look like deer in headlights. Its almost like they havent played before. But it seems the Colts never really thought about backing up Manning properly before look at all the backups they have had. Orvloski being the prime example haha At least the Pats and Green Bay and Saints have decent enough backups.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Jebus, Spiralism, I've seen some fancy and top notch signatures in my time but your Von Miller one takes the biscuit!

Jebus, Spiralism, I've seen some fancy and top notch signatures in my time but your Von Miller one takes the biscuit!

Wouldnt be fair to say it's mine now, i got it in the graphics gallery on the broncos message board... Pretty serious though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Peyton Manning and you have a deal ;)

10 or less, I'll be Peyton Manning until the Superbowl. 21 or more, and I get to design a lovely Bill Belichick signature for you for the same length of time.

Deal? ;)

10 or less, I'll be Peyton Manning until the Superbowl. 21 or more, and I get to design a lovely Bill Belichick signature for you for the same length of time.

Deal? ;)

Can't say fairer than that. You're on :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Does anyone else pick a random draft year in Wikipedia and spend hours reading about how the careers of the top picks from those years went, or similiary scrolling down the list and randomly picking lower picked players to see how their careers went, or is it just me? :pac:

I started from 2000 earlier and came up with some interesting findings:

2000 top pick - Courtney Brown (had a decent rookie season and career was finished by injury). 13 of the 1st round picks turned out to be pro bowlers.

2001 top pick - Michael Vick (enough said really, turned out excellently). 16 of the 1st round picks turned out to be pro bowlers.

2002 top pick - David Carr (Had 4 starting seasons with Houston before becoming a back up for Car, NYG, SanF and NYG again. Listed as one of the worst QB busts ever and ranked 10th on Fox's worst #1 picks ever). 10 1st round picks become pro bowlers.

2003 top pick - Carson Palmer (7 years as a starter with the Bengals, smashed mutiple team records, still starting today with the Raiders. Has to go down as a success). 13 1st round picks became pro bowlers.

2004 top pick - Eli Manning (Like Vick he's a success, enough said). 15 1st round picks became pro bowlers.

2005 top pick - Alex Smith (tough rookie season, struggles with injuries, personality clashes with his coach, but seems to be doing very well this season. Seems to be a bust though). 10 1st round picks became pro bowlers.

2006 top pick - Mario Williams (Turned out excellent. 2 time all-pro and 2 time pro bowler along with the Texans single season sack record holder). 15 1st round picks became pro bowlers.

2007 top pick - JaMarcus Russell (A complete bust, any idea how this went so wrong?) 10 1st round picks became pro bowlers.

2008 top pick - Jake Long (Success. 3 time pro bowlers, 1 time all-pro). 7 1st round picks became pro bowlers.

2009 top pick - Matthew Stafford (Too early to say?) 5 1st round picks have become pro bowlers so far.

2010 top pick - Sam Bradford (Too early to say?) 4 1st round picks have become pro bowlers so far.

2011 top pick - Cam Newton (Success?)

I just think it's interesting to look at see over the last 10 years how the top/1st round draft picks have gone on to do. Do you think it's mostly down to luck whether teams have success during the draft? Is it mostly down to scouting? Or is it a combination of lots of things such as luck, scouting, players ability to adapt, players work ethic, coaching potential out of players, etc.

One things for sure, it's certainly a very interesting system!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Luck plays a part with injuries, that's it really. I'd consider work ethic to be grouped with scouting. A team scouting a player should always look into how much work in puts in off the field in terms of watching film, working out, lifestyle etc etc. In terms of top 10 coaching is less important than knowing the correct situations to put them into but further down the draft coaching because more important obviously.

Also, Jamarcus Russell was a bust because he had zero work ethic, horrible fat piece of ****.(Still so bitter about that pick)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

Really hope the Texans can still grab a playoff spot and stay top of their division. With the rotten luck they have had with QB injuries, they deserve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

I felt sorry for Carr. Houston had no offensive line for him. He was sacked so much: 76 times in 2002 (most ever) and 68 times in 2005. Took 9 sacks and a dozen hits in his first game or two. He took ridiculous punishment.

Houston took him as the number 1 pick yet neglected everything else. How do you make a QB better than he can be? Offensive line, receivers and generally, a good team. Houston didn't think of that and rushed to make Carr the new messiah and the face of the franchise. Carr wanted to be good and tried hard - started 75 of 80 games and managed to throw for at least 2000 yards in each season; even hitting 3500 in one year. A near miracle on that team although Andre Johnson helped out considerably.

Near the end Carr lost heart and his work ethnic slackened. Wouldn't yours? Sacked hundreds of times and hit more. Houston cut him and he's been journeying around the league since. He is a bust for the status of his pick but he needs some compassion, there have been some far far worse than him, JaMarcus Russell, I'm looking at you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

TaosHum wrote: »
    Really hope the Texans can still grab a playoff spot and stay top of their division. With the rotten luck they have had with QB injuries, they deserve it.

As a titans fan I hope they don't :P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Same thing as Tim Couch really, good QB drafted into one of the worst NFL teams around and told to make it work. Never stood a chance. Gotta feel bad for some of these guys though, there is being drafted into a team like the Rams where their is progression on the horizon and then there are some teams where you go "There goes my career".

Stev_o wrote: »
    Same thing as Tim Couch really, good QB drafted into one of the worst NFL teams around and told to make it work. Never stood a chance. Gotta feel bad for some of these guys though, there is being drafted into a team like the Rams where their is progression on the horizon and then there are some teams where you go "There goes my career".

That's how it's starting to look for Bradford.

Stev_o wrote: »

You reckon? The rams have been consistently one of the worst teams in the NFL for a number of years now, the only team less talented in the league would probably be the browns and even they can manage to win more games than them

Bradford is developing David Carr syndrome, he's getting hit over and over without fail, it's eventually going to get to a point where something breaks and it becomes "aw **** it, im just going to throw a horrible rushed pass because i want to be able to walk tonight". Real shame too, he has some potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

spiralism wrote: »
    You reckon? The rams have been consistently one of the worst teams in the NFL for a number of years now, the only team less talented in the league would probably be the browns and even they can manage to win more games than them

Bradford is developing David Carr syndrome, he's getting hit over and over without fail, it's eventually going to get to a point where something breaks and it becomes "aw **** it, im just going to throw a horrible rushed pass because i want to be able to walk tonight". Real shame too, he has some potential.

I think they suffered from a horrible horrible draft by Spag. Mean who did they draft that's producing? They got caught by not picking up a decent WR to carry the load. Their O Line was terrible that's a given a guess a consliation is that they this years O Line prospects are fantastic (Worth nothing I don't think any of the OL drafted this year bar Soldner have really delivered).

They ll find a way.

Not good news for Denver:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/11/30/von-miller-has-thumb-surgery-could-miss-vikings-game/
    The Broncos could be forced to continue their playoff push without their star rookie linebacker.

Lindsay Jones of the Denver Post reports that Miller had thumb surgery Tuesday to repair torn ligaments in his thumb. He was hurt sometime in the fourth quarter of the 16-13 win over the Chargers, but insisted on returning to the game after getting the thumb taped. Miller dropped Ryan Mathews Mike Tolbert for a loss on a key third down play in overtime, setting up a longer field goal for Nick Novak that Novak wound up missing.

That kind of play has been par for the course for Miller this season. He’s been a big reason why the Broncos defense has turned things around from their poor performance in 2010 and he’s the leading contender for Rookie of the Year as a result. Losing him would be a huge blow for the Broncos, but his chances of playing sound pretty good at this point.

Per Jones, this kind of injury and operation would normally keep a player out at least a week. Miller has vowed to play and his ability to play with the injury last week bodes well for his chances. If Miller can’t play, Mario Haggan would start in his place.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Paully D wrote: »
    Does anyone else pick a random draft year in Wikipedia and spend hours reading about how the careers of the top picks from those years went, or similiary scrolling down the list and randomly picking lower picked players to see how their careers went, or is it just me? :pac:..

I do this quite often if I've nothing else to do. Very interesting to see the guys who seemingly had the ability to make it but for one reason or another just didn't. Actually looking through previous Heisman winners it's amazing the amount of guys who didn't live up to expectations.

From the era of footballers that I would recognise (circa 2002-present) - the following would be considered let downs - Leinart, White (undrafted), Troy Smith, Reggie Bush (as such). That's 4 from 9 with Newton, Bradford, Palmer, Ingram and Tebow (both too early to call) being successes.

The amount of free agent footballers around the place that leave college and go undrafted or are cut and just bounce from practice team to practice team must be unreal. Those guys you have to have respect for - the likes of Danny Amendola, Tramon Williams, Wes Welker who all went undrafted but worked hard and made it.

Also, why didn't anyone take a chance on Troy Smith this year? He looked semi-decent for 49ers last year towards end of the season from what I remember.

• Advertisement

He'll play, if not we'll see him the following week and will get by without him providing Adrian Peterson doesn't make it. They don't have him and their only other offensive option will be Harvin who gets to match up with Champ Bailey. I like our chances tbh, knock on wood.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement