Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

McNabb released by the Vikings. Houston or Chicago could beckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭deisedude

Paully D wrote: »
    Does anyone else pick a random draft year in Wikipedia and spend hours reading about how the careers of the top picks from those years went, or similiary scrolling down the list and randomly picking lower picked players to see how their careers went, or is it just me? :pac:

I don't go that far but I do try and keep track of how the careers of some of my favourite college players are doing in the NFL.

I also spent time the other night figuring out what the hell Jamarcus Russel is doing now!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

deisedude wrote: »
    I also spent time the other night figuring out what the hell Jamarcus Russel is doing now!

From Wiki:
    Russell held out[1] until the Raiders signed him to a contract worth $61 million with $32 million guaranteed.

I'd imagine he's doing quite a lot with that sort of money :pac:

EDIT - I'm sure you've probably read it, but an interesting article from him here:

http://insidesportsillustrated.com/2011/10/25/jamarcus-russell-the-most-maligned-figure-in-football-tells-his-side-of-the-story/

Will he get a second chance in the NFL?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

From Wiki:

I'd imagine he's doing quite a lot with that sort of money :pac:

EDIT - I'm sure you've probably read it, but an interesting article from him here:

http://insidesportsillustrated.com/2011/10/25/jamarcus-russell-the-most-maligned-figure-in-football-tells-his-side-of-the-story/

Will he get a second chance in the NFL?

He didn't seem to be very smart with his money

http://bankruptcycourtonline.com/bankruptcy-court/avoiding-bankruptcy/foreclosure/jamarcus-russell-foreclosure-sacks-former-oakland-raiders-quarterback/

Also he did get a second chance. Redskins invited to do a workout, turned up over 300lbs though.

In other Raiders new, Rolando McClain arrested. Terrible time for this, most important player on defense for us.
    As the victim begged McClain for his life, McClain allegedly fired a shot next to the victim’s ear.

Currently, McClain is being held on a $2,000 bond in Decatur. He’s been charged with four misdemeanors (discharging firearm, third degree assault, menacing and reckless endangerment.)

http://eye-on-football.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22475988/33614767

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Similar to you Paully D I took a look at a couple of drafts. Some notes.

In '05 from the sixth to the seventh round, picks 213-255 there were three QBs taken: Derek Anderson, Matt Cassell, and Ryan Fitzpatrick. Combine the three and they've been wildly productive for their picks - although Anderson has been frustratingly at a huge peak then an equally big decline.

Troy Williamson was taken with the seventh overall pick...since then, a stately 87 for 1300 and four TDs. With at least 11 drops in one season and at least two in the next. His wiki article is small but bigger than his career.

David Pollack was taken in the first round but suffered a severe neck injury and was forced to retire. Shame since he could have been bright.

Rodgers was famously forced to wait until 23 teams went over him. Picked at 24 and he's a sensational ball player.

Josh Cribbs, Heath Farwell, Chris Kluwe, Robbie Gould, and Michael Koenen went undrafted. How do scouts overlook these guys? Samkon Gado undrafted but had that great season in Green Bay and faded away.

Vincent Jackson was a nice find at the end of the second round. He's elite in my view.

Craphonso Ja'won "Cro" Thorpe in the fourth round. Always chuckled at his name as it is silly. Played with 9 pro teams from NFL to CFL to UFL.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

Josh Cribbs, Heath Farwell, Chris Kluwe, Robbie Gould, and Michael Koenen went undrafted. How do scouts overlook these guys? .

lots of top players go undrafted its not always just about their skill .look at Blount clearly talented enough the scouts knew it. but when your seen punching another player in a nationally televised college game boy does your stock drop fast

Was McClain's victim Danny Amendola by any chance?

Still one of the most punishing (illegal) tackles I've ever seen, he decimated poor little Danny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

With all tis draft talk,2008 will probably go down as the best ever for running backs. Any other years with similar talent at other positions?

1st round:
    Darren McFadden, Jonathen Stewart, Felix Jones, Rasard Mendenhall, Chris Johnson

2nd round:
    Matt Forte, Ray Rice

3rd round:
    Jamaal Charles

7th round
    Peyton Hillis

Other notable ones;
    Kevin Smith(3rd) Steve Slaton(3rd), Tashard choice(4th) Tim Hghtower(5th), Justin Forsett(7th). Also BenJarvus Green-Ellis, Danny Woodhead and Mike tolbert went undrafted that year.

Similar to you Paully D I took a look at a couple of drafts. Some notes.

In '05 from the sixth to the seventh round, picks 213-255 there were three QBs taken: Derek Anderson, Matt Cassell, and Ryan Fitzpatrick. Combine the three and they've been wildly productive for their picks - although Anderson has been frustratingly at a huge peak then an equally big decline.

Troy Williamson was taken with the seventh overall pick...since then, a stately 87 for 1300 and four TDs. With at least 11 drops in one season and at least two in the next. His wiki article is small but bigger than his career.

David Pollack was taken in the first round but suffered a severe neck injury and was forced to retire. Shame since he could have been bright.

Rodgers was famously forced to wait until 23 teams went over him. Picked at 24 and he's a sensational ball player.

Josh Cribbs, Heath Farwell, Chris Kluwe, Robbie Gould, and Michael Koenen went undrafted. How do scouts overlook these guys? Samkon Gado undrafted but had that great season in Green Bay and faded away.

Vincent Jackson was a nice find at the end of the second round. He's elite in my view.

Craphonso Ja'won "Cro" Thorpe in the fourth round. Always chuckled at his name as it is silly. Played with 9 pro teams from NFL to CFL to UFL.
    2008 will probably go down as the best ever for running backs.

1st round:
    Darren McFadden, Jonathen Stewart, Felix Jones, Rasard Mendenhall, Chris Johnson

2nd round:
    Matt Forte, Ray Rice

3rd round:
    Jamaal Charles

7th round
    Peyton Hillis

Other notable ones;
    Kevin Smith(3rd) Steve Slaton(3rd), Tashard choice(4th) Tim Hghtower(5th), Justin Forsett(7th). also BenJarvus Green-Ellis, Dann Woodhead and Mike tolbert went undrafted that year.

Very interesting stuff lads, cheers for posting.

With all tis draft talk,2008 will probably go down as the best ever for running backs. Any other years with similar talent at other positions?

1st round:

2nd round:
    Matt Forte, Ray Rice

3rd round:
    Jamaal Charles

7th round
    Peyton Hillis

Other notable ones;
    Kevin Smith(3rd) Steve Slaton(3rd), Tashard choice(4th) Tim Hghtower(5th), Justin Forsett(7th). Also BenJarvus Green-Ellis, Danny Woodhead and Mike tolbert went undrafted that year.

was a good post till you mentioned Tashard Choice and Justin Forsett :p:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

On the question of the draft - how many picks has Bill Belichick accumulated for the Patriots for next year (or posssibly the year after)?

I remember reading that over the last number of drafts he's managed to draft down for more and more picks or something along those lines.

Pretty sure we have 2 firsts, 2 seconds and 2 thirds in the upcoming draft. The odds of him using all them as straight up selections of players though are about 1 in a million, he'll trade at least 3 of them and probably end up with the entire first round of 32 picks in 2018.

Cam Newton wrote: »
    he'll trade at least 3 of them and probably end up with the entire first round of 32 picks in 2018.

This absolutly wouldnt surprise me :p:p

Used a fair few picks in the recent draft so he probably still has the best part of seven hundred stockpiled.

If we can get players like Gronk, Hernandez, McCourty and that, I'll be happy. But other than that it's frustrating waiting ages for the Patriots to pick and bam, there's a trade.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Quote:
    Russell held out[1] until the Raiders signed him to a contract worth $61 million with $32 million guaranteed.

I think it's absolutely sickening the money that professional sportsmen/women get. All their saleries should be capped. My system would be $1m per year cap, a top bonus of $50k and no more than 10 bonuses in a year.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

I think it's absolutely sickening the money that professional sportsmen/women get. All their saleries should be capped. My system would be $1m per year cap, a top bonus of $50k and no more than 10 bonuses in a year.

Sorry that's just stupid. True, english soccer players are overpaid but not football players. Think about the job they do. They've been playing sice they were young. They have a college education but football is all a lot of players know. With a 1million cap players would have to work 9-5 once they retire. That's a huge change from playing football on a sunday. Many players would find it quite difficult to adjust. Then you add in the fact that players suffer concussions throughout their careers. I forget the guys name but he was a former player who committed suicide so they could do tests on his brain. He was that sure that football was damaging for a players health.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

He was that sure that football was damaging for a players health.
    Maybe he should give up the day job then !! By your reasoning anyone who does a job that's dangerous should get paid millions, right ?

Maybe he should give up the day job then !! By your reasoning anyone who does a job that's dangerous should get paid millions, right ?

Well yeah, theoretically...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

lets see, image rights, shirt sales, interviews+other publicity stuff, a job your definately going to get injured in, the top 5 odd % of college kids make it, high pressure job. I say let them earn what they're worth

Sorry that's just stupid. True, english soccer players are overpaid but not football players. Think about the job they do. They've been playing sice they were young. They have a college education but football is all a lot of players know. With a 1million cap players would have to work 9-5 once they retire. That's a huge change from playing football on a sunday. Many players would find it quite difficult to adjust. Then you add in the fact that players suffer concussions throughout their careers. I forget the guys name but he was a former player who committed suicide so they could do tests on his brain. He was that sure that football was damaging for a players health.

You've a good argument but be realistic, $32 million before he put on a Raider helmet. That's grotesque money - I said it about the likes of Bradford earning so much guaranteed and it's even worse now that Russell was a canonical bust.

• Advertisement

Lets be honest here, sport is seen as entertainment. Top movie stars, top singers etc get paid literally tens of millions per film/concert tour, for example Usher made $75m for a few months tour, Di Caprio is on $25m a movie and might do 2, sometimes 3 a year and there's very little made of that. Sports stars always seem to bare the brunt of criticism when it comes to this sort of discussion.

Sports stars help to make their team literally hundreds of millions a year, and deserve to paid a salary in line with that. I'm not saying I agree or disagree that they're overpaid, but if your company was making hundreds of millions a year I'm sure you wouldn't be happy taking home $1m a year.

I think the criticism should be directed more at the people who help fund this which include us as fans, TV companies, etc. After all, if the fans stopped going and watching there'd be no product and the whole thing would fall into line with what we'd call normal finances.

Obviously the wage that Russell got looks outrageous now, but if he had been a success he would have been seen as a bargain by the Raiders, who probably would have made it all back very quickly on merchandise sales, increased ticket purchases, etc.

Obviously the wage that Russell got looks outrageous now, but if he had been a success he would have been seen as a bargain by the Raiders, who probably would have made it all back very quickly on merchandise sales, increased ticket purchases, etc.

I'm all for big money if players are successful and so will other fans. If Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, Tom Brady or Peyton Manning signed huge contracts for their teams, no one would bat an eyelid.

My concern is when players are given these preposterous guarantees before they advance their team forward. It's a 50:50 effort in many cases, they will or they won't. It should be guaranteed after a certain time or based on evaluations i.e have they got 10+ wins in a couple of season, or have they 3000 passing yards, or have they went to the playoffs. Hold the money and if they've been successful release it. Or break the money into incentives or yearly breakdowns. Awful waste of guaranteed money out the window if the player isn't a least bit successful.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Blured

Nonsense in my opinion. Players are paid a proportion of the revenue generated by their teams. You cant compare this to other "dangerous" jobs, because other jobs dont tend to generate this amount of income.

What you are proposing would just lead to the owners making a killing

Obviously Russell (and first round rookies in the last few years) made obscene money, not arguing that - just the cap suggested.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

Looks like Donovan is done. Nobody claimed him off waivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Cam Newton wrote: »
    Looks like Donovan is done. Nobody claimed him off waivers.

He was done before he started if he thought he'd be an instant buy at 1.5 million for a few weeks, Houston is set with Yates, Delholme and Clemens for now so it was really ever only going to be the Bears and they're still hoping to have Culter back in time for the play-offs. I can see McNabb signing new terms with the Bears if he's serious about contributing this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/160692463494?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_2474wt_1037

Tallaghoutlaws recommended this ball in the past. 28 quid or so if anyone fancies one for themselves or as a present.

We thought it was over but apparently not. According to Adam Schefter Brett Favre has said he would listen to an offer from the Bears

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

We thought it was over but apparently not. According to Adam Schefter Brett Favre has said he would listen to an offer from the Bears
    Just trolling packer fans is all he's doing these days.

Seems really bitter over greenbays success without him

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement