Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

We thought it was over but apparently not. According to Adam Schefter Brett Favre has said he would listen to an offer from the Bears

From how he said said 'he hadn't any calls' a few weeks ago when asked I got a tinge of a sense that it wasn't the most impossible idea that he'd consider an offer. Between Farve and McNabb I'm taking Farve all day, if the price is right.

Devin Hester said bringing in a veteran QB isn't going to help, but with Cutler and Forte both out now the Bears have to ask themselves if the only chance of staying alive is introducing a wildcard at QB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Arawn wrote: »
    Just trolling packer fans is all he's doing these days.

Most likely this. Hinting at the Bears is Favre having a laugh at the Packers expense.

Seems really bitter over greenbays success without him

And i highly doubt a guy who has a Bowl win and is guaranteed a spot in the HOF is bitter over the Packers success. I think he just likes winding up the Packers considering the way they offloaded him wasn't a happy one.

As I said above Favre is just having the ****s and giggles with the Packers. If the Bears are stupid enough to give him a contract so be it. I would love to see him back though the man is a legend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

I would absolutely love to see Favre back in the playoffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

What's with wanting Favre back? The man's a legend but having him back would be ruinous to a team. Keep it where it is Brett.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Great video below, such a shame he only has 1 Super Bowl ring:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

As awesome and all as it'd be to see Favre back, there's little chance. Houston will stick with Yates I'd say and its probably too late in the season for an outsider to pick up the Bears playbook.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,259 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

I wont watch the Bears if Favre is QB. It wont happen though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Paully D wrote: »
    Great video below, such a shame he only has 1 Super Bowl ring:

Fantastic video. A bit of me is going to die when that man retires, what a ****ing hero

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Oatesy23 wrote: »
    I wont watch the Bears if Favre is QB. It wont happen though.

You'd be about the only NFL fan not to! :D

But in all seriousness, I don't doubt Farve would be willing to, this is the guy who was the Vikings QB for the last two seasons, and the Bears will likely need another QB as Hennie is struggling, Forte is done and the great white hope that is Luke McCown is apparently doing so badly in practice the Bears aren't even willing to activate him for games. They'll likely add McNabb, but they'd have to show a huge amount of hubris not to even test the waters with Farves.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

It's being leaked on Broncos boards that Pats @ Broncos has been flexed to Sunday Night Football on the 18th. Prime time is Tebow Time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

spiralism wrote: »
    It's being leaked on Broncos boards that Pats @ Broncos has been flexed to Sunday Night Football on the 18th. Prime time is Tebow Time.

1st seed battle on the cards? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭clare ny

Favre back I WOULD LOVE IT ....
    The x-mass day game in green bay would be tv gold ...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭deisedude

spiralism wrote: »
    Fantastic video. A bit of me is going to die when that man retires, what a ****ing hero

Good player but I could never call him a hero after what he did off the field

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

deisedude wrote: »

Reminds me of that speech that dude from SNL gave during the lockout at the ESPYs.

"Ray Lewis said that if the lockout didn't end soon, more players would end up getting in a lot of trouble. However, he did not speculate what he had in mind."

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Brett Favre is the reason I watch the NFL! The main is as my second ever comment on the NFL pages described him; a warrior! Would be immense to see him in the playoffs again if it is for the enemy.

Bears came out today and said they have no interest in Favre.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

Doesn't look like its on the cards... Pity, would have made things interesting!!

http://espn.go.com/chicago/nfl/story/_/id/7322319/source-chicago-bears-no-interest-getting-brett-favre

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

Damn you TallaghtO, stealing my thunder!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Most likely this. Hinting at the Bears is Favre having a laugh at the Packers expense.

And i highly doubt a guy who has a Bowl win and is guaranteed a spot in the HOF is bitter over the Packers success. I think he just likes winding up the Packers considering the way they offloaded him wasn't a happy one.

As I said above Favre is just having the ****s and giggles with the Packers. If the Bears are stupid enough to give him a contract so be it. I would love to see him back though the man is a legend.

Not much of a wind up really though. Packers are unbeaten and have a much better Quarterback under centre then Favre. If anything Packers fans would probably have prefered Farve going to the bears at it would gives them less of a chance to win then Haine.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

You mean when the court found him to be not guilty of murder?

• Advertisement

matthew8 wrote: »
    You mean when the court found him to be not guilty of murder?

I never said he killed anyone but there is plenty circumstansial evidence and testimony to raise enough suspicion about him being involved in someway. Regardless he still obstructed justice in a murder enquiry. Lewis admitted to giving an incomplete statement to police and telling his companions not to say anything. Hardly hero like behaviour

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

I never said he killed anyone but there is plenty circumstansial evidence and testimony to raise enough suspicion about him being involved in someway. Regardless he still obstructed justice in a murder enquiry. Lewis admitted to giving an incomplete statement to police and telling his companions not to say anything. Hardly hero like behaviour

People get wrongly imprisoned all the time. It's fairly natural for him to do everything he can to get a not guilty verdict. If the court didn't find him guilty, I see no problem with it. For the record I also think that OJ Simpson, while certainly not in the hero category, should not have had his name tainted after the jury's not guilty verdict.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

People get wrongly imprisoned all the time. It's fairly natural for him to do everything he can to get a not guilty verdict. If the court didn't find him guilty, I see no problem with it. For the record I also think that OJ Simpson, while certainly not in the hero category, should not have had his name tainted after the jury's not guilty verdict.

You do realise how OJ managed to get off right?

Question - just looking up the 'franchise tag' online and it's utterly confusing. Basically it's a way of ensuring your best player doesn't just hop ship when his contract runs down right? Why are players like kickers and back-up QB's franchised then? (Jeff Reed (Steelers) and Matt Cassell (by the Pats)) Would you not franchise tag your best player?

Ancient history now anyway. OJ deserves all the abuse he gets for writing this

OJSimpsonIfIDidIt.jpg

You do realise how OJ managed to get off right?

Question - just looking up the 'franchise tag' online and it's utterly confusing. Basically it's a way of ensuring your best player doesn't just hop ship when his contract runs down right? Why are players like kickers and back-up QB's franchised then? (Jeff Reed (Steelers) and Matt Cassell (by the Pats)) Would you not franchise tag your best player?

The Franchise tag only stops them jumping ship If its an Exclusive tag. For the most part most players tagged are given an Un-Exclusive tag which gives them the right to discuss with other teams and if he decides to join the other team the original team has the right to match the offer.

Matt Cassel was tagged as insurance just in case Brady didn't recover from injury. As for Reed the Steelers had yet to agree a contract with Reed and because they didn't use the tag on anyone else they used it on Reed to buy them sometime in negotiation talks with him for a contract.

Ironically they dumped him on to waivers a couple of months later after he missed a winning Field Goal to beat the Pats.

What TO said is pretty much spot on, but one important point is that with a Non-exlcusive Franchise tag if a team matches the contract then they have to give up two first rounders picks. So basically if a team wanted Matt Cassell and they offered to give him more money then Pats did they'd have to give the Pats two first round picks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Cheers TO, another bit learnt whilst dossing about!

It's hard to know just who is up for grabs each year and there seems to be very little movement of elite players to different sides as such. Mainly because if they're elite they're getting paid a shítload and teams can't afford them or they're at an already decent team, right?
    What TO said is pretty much spot on, but one important point is that with a Non-exlcusive Franchise tag if a team matches the contract then they have to give up two first rounders picks. So basically if a team wanted Matt Cassell and they offered to give him more money then Pats did they'd have to give the Pats two first round picks.

Thanks Chucky, so basically if, using that Cassell example, Kansas offered more than the Pats did and got the player - the Patriots get the Kansas first round pick and a second compesatory pick at the end of the round is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

It's hard to know just who is up for grabs each year and there seems to be very little movement of elite players to different sides as such. Mainly because if they're elite they're getting paid a shítload and teams can't afford them or they're at an already decent team, right?

Thanks Chucky, so basically if, using that Cassell example, Kansas offered more than the Pats did and got the player - the Patriots get the Kansas first round pick and a second compesatory pick at the end of the round is it?

Elite players dont move for a few reasons

1) they are normally tied to long contracts
    2) their salarys are high. NFL teams have a salary cap so you cant just load up with pro bowl talent.

however every year there are elite players available just not many

last season Nmandi Asmough (spelling) to the Eagles is an example. Albert Hainsworth to the Skins although hes a donkey now was another, Peppers to the Bears another etc

as for Cassell to the Chiefs I dont think he moved based on a non exclusive franchise tag move.

I think it was a straight up trade for him could be wrong though. to lazy to check

Cassel was traded in the end. Chiefs didn't need to offer him a contract. Pats handed him and Vrabel over to the Chiefs for the 34th pick in the 2009 draft.

• Advertisement

Elite players rarely move because they are rarely available. Generally a team will franchise tag them and then lock them up long term next season or even after tagging them. It just gives teams more time to sort out a contract and work the cap. Even with a non-exlusive tags they are very few players worth two first round picks and those that are will have the exclusive tag put on them so great players rarely see the open market.

It's not a compesatory pick. So basically the chiefs would be the ones giving up two first round picks. So for argument sake if the trade happened this year before the deadline then chiefs would have to give the pats their 2012 and 2013 first round picks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement