Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

kmart6 wrote: »
    That's a very old video and has been posted countless times!

First time I'd seen it today, apologies :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Sale of Packers Stock Turns Paper Into An Amazing Business

The Green Bay Packers are literally printing cash.

The thus far undefeated and reigning Super Bowl champions are selling stock for the fifth time in their history today.

The shares are said to have an actual value of about 3 cents, but the Packers are selling them for $250 each.

It offers almost no benefits other than a place at the annual meeting and a piece of paper proving that you're an owner. The shares haven't been approved by the SEC, don't appreciate and won't move you up the season ticket waiting list.

So why do the Packers do this?

Well, because they are remarkably good at selling almost nothing for a lot of money.

The last time the Packers did this, in 1997, they raised $24 million. This time, the goal is $20 million. While the goal is to peddle 80,000 shares, they are allowed to sell up to 880,000 shares. If they sold all of those, that would be $220 million.

"It's an interesting kind of hang-in-your-office piece of paper," said Drew Brooks, a displaced Packers fan who went to see the team play against the Giants In New Jersey on Sunday. "It has no real value, but the coolness is there. At the same time, it's kind of hard to swallow the idea of a $250 piece of paper."

Not to worry. There were plenty of factors lining up on Tuesday morning when the shares went on sale. The Website, was running slow for the first hour it was up, but 1,600 shares were sold in the first 11 minutes. And relative to inflation, the price of the shares have actually gone down since the team's last sale in 1997. An inflation adjusted $200 price in 1997 is $282 today. That's a good thing because it's $250 per share, but $25 processing fee is not included.

"If you've ever been to Lambeau Field, you know that feeling of being part of that community and I think if you own stock you would feel even closer to that community," said Packers fan Sterling Berry.

Ainslin Ronaghan, who was sporting a cheesehead bra to the game, said she was buying a share of Packers stock for her father for Christmas.

"It's nostalgia," Ronaghan said. "And can you think of a better Christmas present than to own an NFL team? I like to think I'll own a piece of (Packers linebacker) Clay Matthews. Even if it's a strand of hair."

Packers fans better read the fine print, which says: "If the Commissioner of the NFL decides that a shareholder of an NFL member club has been guilty of conduct detrimental to the welfare of the NFL then, among other things, the Commissioner has the authority to fine such sharehold in an amount not in excess of $500,000." :D

The terms also say that if it is found that a shareholder has bet on an NFL game, Roger Goodell could fine them as much as $5,000 and force them to sell his or her stock.

TBH if the Pats were selling them, i'd be down $250 and after the amount of abuse i shouted at Phillip Rivers at the Pats V Chargers game, i could be receiving a FedEx package from Rodger Goodell.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

I'd nearly but one for the craic...be pretty cool to be able to say I have shares in the Packers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Brady takes the rap for the sideline tiff last night.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/New-England-Patriots-QB-Tom-Brady-takes-blame-for-sideline-blowup-121211

Are you fcuking kidding me. Full solar eclipses happen more frequently than Brady Interceptions. It wasn't even that bad a bad throw. The cheek of O'Brien. New England would be having a losing season without Brady.

Here's the argument: http://www.cbssports.com/video/player/play/nfl/7rbbysNLhvn_Gmd2FneXIpHpTv0arb_g

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

From reading the links you posted, Brady tried to put blame on the WR when it was simply a shocking throw so the OC stepped in to put brady in his place :D

• Advertisement

Pretty much! He's been snapping at his WR's a lot more this season than before! Personally I think too much...instead of putting his hand up and taking the blame on bad throws!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,781 ✭✭✭Benimar

A day of sackings. My team, the Dolphins, have fired Tony Sparano. Todd Bowles is the interim coach.

A mixed day for Todds with Haley fired in Kansas City

• Registered Users Posts: 38,369 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Brady is always like an anti-Christ after an interception. Nobody usually goes near him and he just slams his helmet or kicks a bottle or something but people were near him after this one so there was always going to be trouble.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

davyjose wrote: »
    Brady takes the rap for the sideline tiff last night.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/New-England-Patriots-QB-Tom-Brady-takes-blame-for-sideline-blowup-121211

Are you fcuking kidding me. Full solar eclipses happen more frequently than Brady Interceptions. It wasn't even that bad a bad throw. The cheek of O'Brien. New England would be having a losing season without Brady.

Here's the argument: http://www.cbssports.com/video/player/play/nfl/7rbbysNLhvn_Gmd2FneXIpHpTv0arb_g

It doesn't really matter that it was Tom Brady. No player should be arguing with a coach like that on the sideline. Doesn't exactly set a good example when the team leader is in a fiery argument with his coach in front of everyone.

I'd prefer to see that though than laughing and joking about it...shows some passion!

There was some QB earlier in the year after a terrible play was caught laughing on the sideline straight away after...doesn't give the best impression!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

It doesn't really matter that it was Tom Brady. No player should be arguing with a coach like that on the sideline. Doesn't exactly set a good example when the team leader is in a fiery argument with his coach in front of everyone.

Exactly this and to be honest I would say Bill pulled Brady a side and explained that to him. As I said earlier in the thread regardless who is right or wrong no player including Brady should talk to a coach like that. And in fact Brady is a stroppy mofo when things aren't going his way anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

From: Sports Tickets [mailto:sportstickets@ticketmaster.ie]
    Sent: 14 December 2011 13:12
    To:
    Subject: Emerald Isle Classic - Notre Dame V Navy

The Emerald Isle Classic – Notre Dame V Navy

When: Sat 1 Sep 2012

Where: Aviva Stadium

Presale starts Thursday 15th December at 10am.

Aviva Stadium will host the 86th playing of the Navy-Notre Dame game on September 1st 2012. The Navy-Notre Dame rivalry is the longest continuous intersectional rivalry in college football with the two schools having met every year since 1927.

The game will be a full NCAA regular season game and the outcome is expected to have a major effect on both teams National Championship prospects. Both teams have visited Dublin in the past, having played against each other in Croke Park, Dublin in November 1996. On that occasion, Notre Dame won 54-27.

Speaking of the decision to take the game to Ireland, Naval Academy Director of Athletics, Chet Gladchuk, said: "To see this stadium is to believe it has to be one of the finest venues in the world. Although modest in capacity, few stadiums anywhere have attended to the detail, aesthetics and fan comfort found at Aviva. I guarantee those who travel to Ireland and attend this event will enjoy an experience that will be awesome and a memory not to be forgotten. Navy is very much looking forward to our visit and the wonderful experience we expect our coaches, players, fans and friends will enjoy."

The Irish American Football Association (IAFA) also praised the decision of returning the game to Ireland. "We are delighted with the news that Navy and Notre Dame are coming to Dublin in 2012. Given the rivalry between the two teams, we are sure it will be a wonderful spectacle and will have a really positive impact on the game of American Football in Ireland."

Tickets go on presale on Thursday 15th December at 10am until Friday 23rd December at midnight. To purchase tickets please follow the link below and enter the password (the password can be used to purchase a maximum of 6 tickets). Tickets will be sold on a first come first served basis while stocks last.

Presale Link (active on Thursday 15th at 10am):

http://www.ticketmaster.ie/event/180...7926400?did=tm

Password (CaSE SEnsitIVe): ********

Regards,

Ticketmaster

If you have received this email, you have either subscribed to the Free E-mail News Service or are a former Ticketmaster customer that has selected "Yes" to receiving information from Ticketmaster and carefully selected companies. To remove yourself from this mailing list, please click on the link below.

Please do not reply to this email, as you will not get a response.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,259 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Crazy story with Bears WR/Special Teamer Sam Hurd. Signed from the Cowboys in the offseason. He was arrested last night in Chicago for drug dealing.

Brad Biggs on twitter is reporting the following:
    bbtwitter.png

What an idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Oatesy23 wrote: »
    Crazy story with Bears WR/Special Teamer Sam Hurd. Signed from the Cowboys in the offseason. He was arrested last night in Chicago for drug dealing.

Brad Biggs on twitter is reporting the following:
    bbtwitter.png

What an idiot.

1,000 pounds a week?! Where did he find all the hours in the day, his staff payroll must be the same size as the Bears' roster!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

10 Kilos and 1,000 pounds a week? Brings this to mind:

220px-ScarfacePacino.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭davetherave

First one was posted a week ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Have in the past 2 weeks managed to get a work friend of mine into NFL. He was one of these rugby guys that refused to watch it, gave it abuse over the protection, the stoppages the adverts.

THEN he read a story about none other than the Bronco's and Tebow's recent travails and he came back to me asking the ins and outs of it all.

So basically I went back to the start. I explained to him in the most basic terms that if you remove all the histrionics, the spectacle, the hyperbole surrounding players and media the actual sport/game itself is one of the most interesting tactical and athletical battles you will ever watch on any field of sport, including rugby. I broke it down to him that its like a piece of chess, that each player has a specific job to do that enables the next person to be able to do what he has to do, its teamwork through individual effort. That engaging physicality with a powerful mentallity is how I see the winners, the sport.

I sold it to him. He didnt even know that it was 11v11 at that time. He was miffed. NOW he his mailing me every hour about a highlight reel he saw, about the rules, the laws, players, plays, where to get more, where to see more, more, more ... I've created a monster!! and I love it!!! Pity he's now a Bronco's fan! haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Have in the past 2 weeks managed to get a work friend of mine into NFL. He was one of these rugby guys that refused to watch it, gave it abuse over the protection, the stoppages the adverts.

THEN he read a story about none other than the Bronco's and Tebow's recent travails and he came back to me asking the ins and outs of it all.

So basically I went back to the start. I explained to him in the most basic terms that if you remove all the histrionics, the spectacle, the hyperbole surrounding players and media the actual sport/game itself is one of the most interesting tactical and athletical battles you will ever watch on any field of sport, including rugby. I broke it down to him that its like a piece of chess, that each player has a specific job to do that enables the next person to be able to do what he has to do, its teamwork through individual effort. That engaging physicality with a powerful mentallity is how I see the winners, the sport.

I sold it to him. He didnt even know that it was 11v11 at that time. He was miffed. NOW he his mailing me every hour about a highlight reel he saw, about the rules, the laws, players, plays, where to get more, where to see more, more, more ... I've created a monster!! and I love it!!! Pity he's now a Bronco's fan! haha

It's amazing the amount of people Tebow has turned into American Football. There's a guy in accounting here and every Monday we go back and forth via e-mail about Tebow's latest heorics! :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭spillit67

Well Hanie has been dropped for the Bears.

Such a promising season 3 and a half weeks ago is in tatters. Ah well. I do kind of enjoy the playoffs more when my team isn't in it as strange as it sounds, the NFC Championship game last year for instance was torture!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

NFL store why you no work and no take money :(

Every now and then, you find an absolute gem of a website, and this is brilliant. Aaron Rodgers and Matt Flynn have apparently been working together in photobombing every Packers' captains pre game photo going back a few seasons.

tumblr_lw29f1rjI41r57igoo1_500.jpg

tumblr_luor478kf91r57igoo1_500.jpg

tumblr_lu9s78YLrU1r57igoo1_500.jpg

tumblr_ltkj219raJ1r57igoo1_500.jpg

tumblr_lte0c4Obj71r57igoo1_500.jpg

tumblr_lte3i9ei5W1r57igoo1_500.jpg

The rest can be found here :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

It's amazing the amount of people Tebow has turned into American Football. There's a guy in accounting here and every Monday we go back and forth via e-mail about Tebow's latest heorics! :o

I think my younger brother, thanks in part to me never shutting up about the broncos has got half his year not only into the sport but as dyed in the wool tebowites! Another fella who watched the broncos match with me on sunday down the pub is now getting into it...and is a broncos fan too, I've never seen anything like it, tebow really is larger than life!

You know they've been posted already?

You know they've been posted already?
    kmart6 wrote:
    Jesus...it's on the previous page!
    kmart6 wrote:
    First one was posted a week ago!

Change the record Buzz Killington.

What's the point in the same stuff getting posted up over and over?

What's the point in the same stuff getting posted up over and over?

What harm is it doing? I missed it last time, obviously others did too.

Is it stopping you sleeping at night? Does it bother you that much? It's Christmas, don't be a grinch!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

What harm is it doing? I missed it last time, obviously others did too.

Is it stopping you sleeping at night? Does it bother you that much? It's Christmas, don't be a grinch!

Have to agree with kmart and not a dig at you dude but there is so many fecking reposts on here nowadays its mad. Some are literally a page or 2 away from each other. At least with your one its a few months but some of the vids are on top of each other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Tell me this lads, is there a player of Irish/UK nationality, who is now based in America and is wanted by some NFL or top college teams?

Someone had said to me yesterday they were reading something in the paper about the above. The story goes that his father had moved over there to take a job, the young lad had ended up playing american football and had turned out to be quality.

Could be a load of shite as it was the mother who had asked me about it :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement