Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Paully D wrote: »
    Tell me this lads, is there a player of Irish/UK nationality, who is now based in America and is wanted by some NFL or top college teams?

Someone had said to me yesterday they were reading something in the paper about the above. The story goes that his father had moved over there to take a job, the young lad had ended up playing american football and had turned out to be quality.

Could be a load of shite as it was the mother who had asked me about it :pac:

Id say the article was about Darragh O'Neill a Punter for the Colorado Buffalo's. He is a second team Freshamn All American Punter right now and he is behind Aussie born Brad Wing. If O'Neill keeps it up over the next few years no reason why he wont get a look in for the NFL. Irish Born been there since he was 3 spent summers back in Ireland playing Gaelic Football.

http://www.irishcentral.com/story/sport/from-the-bleachers/cork-man-darragh-oneill-punts-his-way-onto-colorado-university-football-team-131208809.html

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭RGIII

They could be talking about Francis Kallon Jr, a 6'6 260 pound freak from London who has been recruited by Georgia Tech.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/01/sports/ncaafootball/recruiters-pounce-on-british-transfer-with-no-football-experience.html?_r=3&pagewanted=1

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

RGIII wrote: »
    They could be talking about Francis Kallon Jr, a 6'6 260 pound freak from London who has been recruited by Georgia Tech.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/01/sports/ncaafootball/recruiters-pounce-on-british-transfer-with-no-football-experience.html?_r=3&pagewanted=1

It'll be very interesting to see how he does in college football.

RGIII wrote: »

From what Paully was told it was most likely O'Neill as his old man moved over to the US to work. Kallon's Mother moved over with him last year.

Jebus though cant wait to see how Kallon takes on college ball. Imagine him bulking up more.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Fcuking mental...at least they won the game and whatever trophy it was!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Delighted for the Colts fans.

Is it possible that the Vikings could trade the #1? Ponder looks to be a very sound player who with time and experience will improve and with the draft picks they coudl trade for the right picks; gain more receiving options, protection and can build a team around?
    Good article on Ponder here:
    http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/QB-Master-Class-Chris-Weinke-on-Christian-Ponde?urn=nfl-wp10645

As for the Rams, they will not beat the Steelers or 49ers so would they go over Bradford? I doubt it after ensuring his franchise tag, they might also trade.

But then again is it possible for any team to pass on the brightest/hottest/best/etc prospect in years? Is it really conceivable for 2 teams to trade the pick? really?

Do the Colts have a plan? Sport should always be about winning no matter what! But have they shot themeselves in the foot? If they miss the 1st choice and Manning struggles to comeback surely they will struggle in the short to mid-term to rebuild the franchise?

All that said, I can only say its going to be an interesting off-season!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Is it possible that the Vikings could trade the #1? Ponder looks to be a very sound player who with time and experience will improve and with the draft picks they coudl trade for the right picks; gain more receiving options, protection and can build a team around?
    http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/QB-Master-Class-Chris-Weinke-on-Christian-Ponde?urn=nfl-wp10645

As for the Rams, they will not beat the Steelers or 49ers so would they go over Bradford? I doubt it after ensuring his franchise tag, they might also trade.

But then again is it possible for any team to pass on the brightest/hottest/best/etc prospect in years? Is it really conceivable for 2 teams to trade the pick? really?

Do the Colts have a plan? Sport should always be about winning no matter what! But have they shot themeselves in the foot? If they miss the 1st choice and Manning struggles to comeback surely they will struggle in the short to mid-term to rebuild the franchise?

I honestly think the Vikings would be absolute idiots to not go for Luck if they're Number 1. If he takes to the NFL like most feel, imagine having him at QB and Peterson in the backfield. Instantly a better team and could have a go at the play offs.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Who'd get the #1 between Rams, Viking and colts if they all have the same records? What's the tie breaker?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

SantryRed wrote: »
    I honestly think the Vikings would be absolute idiots to not go for Luck if they're Number 1. If he takes to the NFL like most feel, imagine having him at QB and Peterson in the backfield. Instantly a better team and could have a go at the play offs.

It is very true and they then in turn could trade off Ponder! Win/Win!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭neilster

adrian522 wrote: »
    Who'd get the #1 between Rams, Viking and colts if they all have the same records? What's the tie breaker?

I think you are after mentioning the order yourself, in event of rams and vikes tying, its rams no 1 and then vikings , something tells me the Colts may play out of the first two and not even tie-break ...the defense is playing dominantly and with the schedule

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

adrian522 wrote: »

Was curious about this myself...
    The first tiebreaker is strength of schedule. The team with the weakest strength of schedule gets the pick, because it performed as badly as the others with the overall worst record while playing the easiest opponents. All three contestants for the No. 1 pick have played tougher than average schedules, as measured by the combined won-loss record of their opponents in all games (counting twice the record of teams that have played them twice). That’s partly because each team didn’t get to play itself, and because nearly every one of its opponents has an easy win against the team. Minnesota’s opponents are 115-81, the Rams’ are 111-85 and Indy’s are 106-90. So the Colts remain in the driver’s seat for the top pick if all three finish 2-14, a realistic scenario since the Colts play 4-10 Jacksonville in the season finale.

More here: Just Colts’ Luck: Win Hurts Draft Hopes. It's not locked up yet, the Rams could still overtake them for easiest schedule.

I think the Colts would be crazy not to throw the last game, and the pick got even more valuable yesterday, with Matt Barkley declaring his intention to return to college for another year.

Edit:
    According to this: Colts flirt with blowing the Luck pick, the Colts will clinch the #1 pick with a loss next week to the Jags.
    Also makes an interesting point that the Jags might have an incentive to lose that game, to keep Luck out of their division.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

NFL.coms standings are still showing the Colts as being last. not sure if is the way it will finish though.

you create an interesting debate and a potential bidding war in off-season based on the draft order and the teams in the frame .

Lets start in the likely no 1 pick , id have to say after last night and the colts-texans game that may be the Rams who have cap number millions tied up in Sam Bradford...they have the guts of $30m tied up in him and that may be reason enough not to make a QB change no matter who is available ...they may also view that he is good enough and he needs weapons and Justin Blackmon appears a couple of picks later ?

Then to the Vikes , they may feel that Luck is a "once in a lifetime" player and assemble picks to give to the Rams but has as good a Left Tackle prospect came up in a while as Matt Kalil , a huge need and maybe the Vikes thinks Ponder has shown enough and just needs protecting . There isnt a huge financial hit in cutting Ponder but they would like to pick Luck as opposed to trade for him.Lets not forget that Barkley going back to USC may place a higher value on Luck and RGIII and the price isnt worth paying

Then to the Colts who if Manning comes back will not be as interested. If it is not known by the draft that he is definitely coming back then the Colts would definitely be a Rams trade partner if they didnt have the pick themselves. They may be interested in Luck anyway but Manning will have a big effect on it or would they listen to a superstar trade to a team like Miami, Redskins even the Ravens ??

The Jags could be next and with a new coach and a new owner they could be a very high prospect for Luck if they assembled picks . Blaine Gabbert is toast if rather unfairly (it echoes the Carolina situation last year) and if Luck was available they would move but if Morris Claiborne falls to them or sit likely that will be the pick. Luck could also attempt to block this pick like John Elway

Tampa are losing Talib possibly and Ronde Barber so Claiborne or Dre Kirkpatrick will be their pick

Cleveland on account of Payton Hillis as a problem and Colt McCoy needing help may go with Trent Richardson (a safe pick) or a posession reciever like Jeffrey which maybe counts them out (or not i will talk of that later )

Buffalo are interesting as Gailey could be gone and Fitzy with him but i think they survive and they pick someone like Coples

Miami would have the firepower to attract Luck but they may set their sights on RGIII , i think they are a very likely trade partner

As are the Redskins, Dan Snyder always likes to make a big splash and i think RGIII may be the best player in the draft with good instincts at protecting the football , Olympic Hurdler standard speed and great intangibles like being the son of army people and coming from a less fashionable school ..i think Snyder might assemble picks for RGIII and the let the Luck stuff play out which is what Miami may do also

Carolina much like the Jags (unless Luck lands in their lap) will pick the best defensive player available

So i would say the intrigueing them come April is Clevelands' position. Yes they have glaring holes like a posession reciever, 2 running backs , a corner but they have TWO No1 picks and that may be the determing factor to Luck or RGIII being picked Cleveland after trading 2 no picks , a 2 or 3 pick and others

Lets look at the Julio Jones trade last year

The cost of moving from No. 27 to No. 6 was sending that No. 27 pick, along with second- and fourth-round choices this year and first and fourth-round picks in 2012 to Cleveland. Its illustrative that Bill Belichek told the the GM in Atlanta this was too expensive but maybe so for a reciever

But if Cleveland had pick FIVE and they sent that to the Rams along with the 26th pick that would beat everybody else along with other picks . It could allow the Rams to pick Justin Blackmon and a D'onta Hightower, Janoris jenkins Courtney Upshaw and Jared Crick for example. I think the Browns might be the kingmakers here . Can you imagine Luck or RGIII if Holmgren got his hands on them

I think the presence of their two picks and Miamis and the Redskins interest will make it expensive for others like the Cardinals , Seattle or the 49ers (despite what Harbaugh says) . This may make a hot secondary market in Landry Jones. Hes not perfect but he does a lot well a lot of the time. Seattle may be the keenest trade partner as they have a brilliant safety tandem, good young corners a sound defense and apart from a game changing reciever they may be the closest to really contending . Kansas might be the other team thinking of LJones

certainly it will be a fascinating draft

padraig_f wrote: »

More here: Just Colts’ Luck: Win Hurts Draft Hopes. It's not locked up yet, the Rams could still overtake them for easiest schedule.

I think the Colts would be crazy not to throw the last game, and the pick got even more valuable yesterday, with Matt Barkley declaring his intention to return to college for another year.

Edit:
    According to this: Colts flirt with blowing the Luck pick, the Colts will clinch the #1 pick with a loss next week to the Jags.
    Also makes an interesting point that the Jags might have an incentive to lose that game, to keep Luck out of their division.

This raises the interesting topic of how do players play those last games ......i suspect a lot of players play like they are playing for their jobs and maybe the Colts are a hotter team right now , certainly the defense and Reggie Wayne are playing well and Wayne maight be a free agent . Also coaches are coaching for their jobs like Caldwell , Norv Turner even a Romeo Crennell (in an audition) , certainly the fire is under them and Leslie Frazier is secure (keep losing) and the Jags is (undecided and keep losing) and Tampa (Morris dead in the water and keep losing) so maybe the Colts rise up . I wonder if Spagnolo may have lost the locker-room and they stay losing and Caldwell survives , its interesting .

padraig_f wrote: »

Edit:

what if Jags lose to Colts (could happen unwittingly if Gabbert sucks again) and the Jags try and trade with the Rams or Vikes for Luck with the Colts out of running

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

It would be absolutely hilarious if after all this Andrew Luck was a total bust.

Good to see Adam back with his fountain of knowledge from draft blogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Ah Jesus. It's Christmas, for feck's sake!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

neilster wrote: »
    you create an interesting debate and a potential bidding war in off-season based on the draft order and the teams in the frame .

Lets start in the likely no 1 pick , id have to say after last night and the colts-texans game that may be the Rams who have cap number millions tied up in Sam Bradford...they have the guts of $30m tied up in him and that may be reason enough not to make a QB change no matter who is available ...they may also view that he is good enough and he needs weapons and Justin Blackmon appears a couple of picks later ?

Then to the Vikes , they may feel that Luck is a "once in a lifetime" player and assemble picks to give to the Rams but has as good a Left Tackle prospect came up in a while as Matt Kalil , a huge need and maybe the Vikes thinks Ponder has shown enough and just needs protecting . There isnt a huge financial hit in cutting Ponder but they would like to pick Luck as opposed to trade for him.Lets not forget that Barkley going back to USC may place a higher value on Luck and RGIII and the price isnt worth paying

Then to the Colts who if Manning comes back will not be as interested. If it is not known by the draft that he is definitely coming back then the Colts would definitely be a Rams trade partner if they didnt have the pick themselves. They may be interested in Luck anyway but Manning will have a big effect on it or would they listen to a superstar trade to a team like Miami, Redskins even the Ravens ??

The Jags could be next and with a new coach and a new owner they could be a very high prospect for Luck if they assembled picks . Blaine Gabbert is toast if rather unfairly (it echoes the Carolina situation last year) and if Luck was available they would move but if Morris Claiborne falls to them or sit likely that will be the pick. Luck could also attempt to block this pick like John Elway

Tampa are losing Talib possibly and Ronde Barber so Claiborne or Dre Kirkpatrick will be their pick

Cleveland on account of Payton Hillis as a problem and Colt McCoy needing help may go with Trent Richardson (a safe pick) or a posession reciever like Jeffrey which maybe counts them out (or not i will talk of that later )

Buffalo are interesting as Gailey could be gone and Fitzy with him but i think they survive and they pick someone like Coples

Miami would have the firepower to attract Luck but they may set their sights on RGIII , i think they are a very likely trade partner

As are the Redskins, Dan Snyder always likes to make a big splash and i think RGIII may be the best player in the draft with good instincts at protecting the football , Olympic Hurdler standard speed and great intangibles like being the son of army people and coming from a less fashionable school ..i think Snyder might assemble picks for RGIII and the let the Luck stuff play out which is what Miami may do also

Carolina much like the Jags (unless Luck lands in their lap) will pick the best defensive player available

So i would say the intrigueing them come April is Clevelands' position. Yes they have glaring holes like a posession reciever, 2 running backs , a corner but they have TWO No1 picks and that may be the determing factor to Luck or RGIII being picked Cleveland after trading 2 no picks , a 2 or 3 pick and others

Lets look at the Julio Jones trade last year

The cost of moving from No. 27 to No. 6 was sending that No. 27 pick, along with second- and fourth-round choices this year and first and fourth-round picks in 2012 to Cleveland. Its illustrative that Bill Belichek told the the GM in Atlanta this was too expensive but maybe so for a reciever

But if Cleveland had pick FIVE and they sent that to the Rams along with the 26th pick that would beat everybody else along with other picks . It could allow the Rams to pick Justin Blackmon and a D'onta Hightower, Janoris jenkins Courtney Upshaw and Jared Crick for example. I think the Browns might be the kingmakers here . Can you imagine Luck or RGIII if Holmgren got his hands on them

I think the presence of their two picks and Miamis and the Redskins interest will make it expensive for others like the Cardinals , Seattle or the 49ers (despite what Harbaugh says) . This may make a hot secondary market in Landry Jones. Hes not perfect but he does a lot well a lot of the time. Seattle may be the keenest trade partner as they have a brilliant safety tandem, good young corners a sound defense and apart from a game changing reciever they may be the closest to really contending . Kansas might be the other team thinking of LJones

certainly it will be a fascinating draft

You should really quote your sources

Syferus wrote: »
    Ah Jesus. It's Christmas, for feck's sake!

What has the time of year got to do with anything? I mean what if I told you I didn't celebrate "Christmas" and thus it has no bearing on my opinion or change the way I would reply to folk. Very narrow minded of you to bring it up as if it should mean something :D Not only that I did say it was good to have him back. :D

• Advertisement

is there anyway that someone could read an awful lot on something from a lot of places and then just decide something might occur , id say there is 20 different influences going on

some of it could happen or none thats what makes the draft fun ...what does someone else think ?

so what do you think?

What has the time of year got to do with anything? I mean what if I told you I didn't celebrate "Christmas" and thus it has no bearing on my opinion or change the way I would reply to folk. Very narrow minded of you to bring it up as if it should mean something :D Not only that I did say it was good to have him back. :D

thanks tallaght

matthew8 wrote: »
    It would be absolutely hilarious if after all this Andrew Luck was a total bust.

i agree but i dont think so ...what do others think of kellen moore he was on espn lately

so what do you think?

To early to tell until all the candidates confirm they are going into the actual draft. Two sure things decided to stick around in college for another year so no point speculating until March at the earliest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Neilster, genuine request here - will you please learn to use the multi-quote function? Im not taking a shot at you or anything, just pointing out the function is there for a reason so please use it.

To early to tell until all the candidates confirm they are going into the actual draft. Two sure things decided to stick around in college for another year so no point speculating until March at the earliest St.
    l

Barkley and the guy with Samoan name from Stanford ? how did the Linebacker Burfact play in Bowl game against Boise State...seen a little of it bit of it ... didnt see him doing anything

Neilster, genuine request here - will you please learn to use the multi-quote function? Im not taking a shot at you or anything, just pointing out the function is there for a reason so please use it.

no bother

be interested what yourself and other thought tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

l

Barkley and the guy with Samoan name from Stanford ? how did the Linebacker Burfact play in Bowl game against Boise State...seen a little of it bit of it ... didnt see him doing anything
    no bother
    be interested what yourself and other thought tbh

bush_doing_it_wrong_1.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement