Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Guys, if you had a choice between Cam Newton and Andrew Luck, who would you choose? Personally I'd take Newton.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

matthew8 wrote: »
    Guys, if you had a choice between Cam Newton and Andrew Luck, who would you choose? Personally I'd take Newton.

I suppose right now you'd have to take Newton because he has actually proven he can do it in the NFL. Whilst Luck is very, very highly rated, there's always that chance (however small) that he could be a bust.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭neilster

kmart6 wrote: »
    bush_doing_it_wrong_1.jpg

how do you do it again ?? Kmart the Waltons would be proud ..Haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

If you want to reply to three separate posts for example, click this button on the first two:

multiquote_off.gif

The button will turn red which means it will be included on your post.

and click the regular quote button on the last one. All three posts will then be quoted on your reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Depends on the team IMO!

Luck is considered a perfect fit to replace Manning with the Colts cause he's able to take control of an offense himself just like Manning has for the last decade!

Newton is completely different, not questioning his ability, great player who has proven himself in a way but can also be very erratic, but at the moment it seems it's very much about himself...think the Panthers have him doing a lot, I don't see the need for him to be getting all those TD runs from within 10yards...just feel the ball should be getting spread to the RB's a bit in those situations!

Personally I'd take Luck!

• Advertisement

Depends on the team IMO!

Luck is considered a perfect fit to replace Manning with the Colts cause he's able to take control of an offense himself just like Manning has for the last decade!

Newton is completely different, not questioning his ability, great player who has proven himself in a way but can also be very erratic, but at the moment it seems it's very much about himself...think the Panthers have him doing a lot, I don't see the need for him to be getting all those TD runs from within 10yards...just feel the ball should be getting spread to the RB's a bit in those situations!

Personally I'd take Luck!
    Actually I think that all the TD runs inside the 10 show how incredible he is in the redzone. Right now he looks like one of the best goalline backs in the league.

Bob Stoops (Sooners Coach) says that he thinks Landry Jones will return to Oklahoma for his senior year.

So now it's just Luck and maybe Griffin if he declares, with a big drop off to Tannehill, Foles, Cousins etc. Could be the year of the free agent QB instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

Bob Stoops (Sooners Coach) says that he thinks Landry Jones will return to Oklahoma for his senior year.

So now it's just Luck and maybe Griffin if he declares, with a big drop off to Tannehill, Foles, Cousins etc. Could be the year of the free agent QB instead.

Good call by Landry, his stock seemed to be dropping heavily after a poor end to his season.

I think you will find one of those 2nd tier QB's may move up into the first round. I remember Ponder and Locker last year were projected to go 2nd round in a lot of mock drafts around this time (along with Cam Newton) so I could easily see a guy like Ryan Tannehill making his way up.

Brandon Weeden is another wildcard.

Actually I think that all the TD runs inside the 10 show how incredible he is in the redzone. Right now he looks like one of the best goalline backs in the league.
    Incredible as a RB, not a QB!

Incredible as a RB, not a QB!

Do you think Ron Rivera honestly gives a shít if Cam runs it in or passes it in?

Stupid argument, 6 points = 6 points. If you have a weapon of Newton's red zone ability, then you use it. Simples.

• Advertisement

Well I'd say he does care if he passes it considering he's thrown 16 INTs!

Well I'd say he does care if he passes it considering he's thrown 16 INTs!

You're saying Newton shouldn't be running in all those red zone touchdowns.

Reminds me of the time you said Brady should stop passing to Gronkowski because it's too obvious.

You're the only person I know to advise teams to stop doing what's working for them. I suppose Drew Brees should start breaking out a few QB draws this weekend?

No matter what I have to say about anything you have an issue with it!

It was during the Washington game I said that about Gronk...and low and behold he was kept quiet enough against Denver with one big play...and Brady Had to throw to someone else for a TD Ochocinco!

No matter what I have to say about anything you have an issue with it!

I have an issue with dumb things, so when you say dumb things, then yes, I have an issue with what you say. When you don't say dumb things, I have no problem and will agree. Don't think this is exclusive to you.
    It was during the Washington game I said that about Gronk...and low and behold he was kept quiet enough against Denver with one big play...and Brady Had to throw to someone else for a TD Ochocinco!

...and he came out of that game against the Redskins with 160 receiving yards and 2 touchdowns. So what, he had a quiet game against the Broncos. Do you honestly think that's because Brady thought to himself "You know what, I have the best receiving tight end in the league here who is breaking records left, right and centre - but it's too obvious that I'm going to throw to him, so I'm just going to phase him out of our gameplan."

I get what you're saying, or at least trying to say but doing a very bad job of saying it. Sooner or later, Cam won't be able to run in all these touchdowns, and Brady won't be able to connect with Gronk at will.

Well, what I'm saying is it's not up to the Panthers or the Patriots to come up with an alternative, its up to opposing defences to show they can stop Cam running it in the redzone, and to shut out Gronkowski. It's beyond silly to think these 2 teams should stop running their best plays with their best playmakers while the success ratio of those plays are ridiculously high.

TL;DR - If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

TaosHum wrote: »
    Good call by Landry, his stock seemed to be dropping heavily after a poor end to his season.

I think you will find one of those 2nd tier QB's may move up into the first round. I remember Ponder and Locker last year were projected to go 2nd round in a lot of mock drafts around this time (along with Cam Newton) so I could easily see a guy like Ryan Tannehill making his way up.

Brandon Weeden is another wildcard.

I don't think it's a great move by Jones if he does stay. His stock falling coincided with Blake Bell getting more game time towards the end of the year when it was apparent the Sooners were out of the BCS title game hunt. Bell is very much seen as the next big thing in Oklahoma and there's no certainty Jones would even be the starter for a full campaign if he returns, especially as the Sooners have now seen what he's like without Ryan Broyles. With Barkley returning, Jones should leave now as the #3 QB - he'll be no higher than #3 next year up against Barkley, Wilson, Bray, Murray etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

I don't think it's a fair comparison. Luck hasn't yet played a snap in the NFL, while Neton has had a very strong Rookie season.

A year ago, however, you'd have been hard pushed to find anyone in the game who wouln't have chosen Luck.

Personally, I'd still choose Luck. He might be a bust, but Newton has a lot more to prove than just a good Rookie season too. Luck has all the tangibles and intangibles to someday be an elite calibre QB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭portumnadaz

If the Colts get Luck and can't get someone to take Manning they will be devastated in the salary cap.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭RGIII

That would be a terrible move for Jones. He's not going to improve as a QB going back into a spread system that hides his weaknesses. He needs to get into the pros and learn how to read a defence, how to dropback and his biggest problem how to perform well when under pressure.

I wouldn't draft him because I think he will bust but a team would look at his size and arm and draft him high.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

If the Colts get Luck and can't get someone to take Manning they will be devastated in the salary cap.

The New rookie salary scale means they won't really.

themont85 wrote: »
    The New rookie salary scale means they won't really.

Even though they won't have to pay Luck the extortionate amounts of money previous number 1 picks were able to demand, he'll still have to get paid the maximum he can be paid. Add that to the fact that Manning is due a $28 million bonus before the start of the season, and there's no way the Colts will tie up that much money to 2 players, only one of whom can play. Irsay has said that if Manning can play football next year, it will be for the Colts. I don't see Luck ending up in Indy any more, although that's more to do with the fact I don't see them with the number 1 pick anymore, they should beat the Jaguars next week. Even if they do end up #1, I think they'll trade out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Even though they won't have to pay Luck the extortionate amounts of money previous number 1 picks were able to demand, he'll still have to get paid the maximum he can be paid. Add that to the fact that Manning is due a $28 million bonus before the start of the season, and there's no way the Colts will tie up that much money to 2 players, only one of whom can play. Irsay has said that if Manning can play football next year, it will be for the Colts. I don't see Luck ending up in Indy any more, although that's more to do with the fact I don't see them with the number 1 pick anymore, they should beat the Jaguars next week. Even if they do end up #1, I think they'll trade out.

Nothing will really be proven about Manning's recovery until deep into next season and after he's took a few NFL-level hits, the Colts need a future at QB and with Barkley gone, Landry Jones will be the closest thing to a back-up option outside of Luck as RG3's draft stock will make trading down of little value to get him and he seems far less suited to a sit-and-learn role than Luck. The Colts find a way to lose next week if they know what's good for them.

Current draft order as at the end of the 6pm games:

1. Indianapolis Colts (2-13)
    2. St. Louis Rams (2-13)
    3. Minnesota Vikings (3-12)
    4. Jacksonville Jaguars (4-11)
    5. Cleveland Browns (4-11)
    6. Tampa Bay Bucs (4-11)
    7. Washington Redskins (5-10)
    8. Miami Dolphins (5-10)
    9. Carolina Panthers (6-9)
    10. Buffalo Bills (6-9)
    11. Kansas City Chiefs (6-9)
    12. Philadelphia Eagles (6-8)
    13. Arizona Cardinals (7-8)
    14. Seattle Seahawks (7-7)
    15. Chicago Bears (7-7)
    16. San Diego Chargers (7-7)
    17. Tennessee Titans (8-7)
    18. New York Jets (8-7)
    19. Oakland Raiders (8-7)(traded to Cincinnati)
    20. New York Giants (8-7)
    21. Denver Broncos (8-7)
    22. Dallas Cowboys (8-6)
    23. Cincinnati Bengals (9-6)
    24. Atlanta Falcons (9-5)(traded to Cleveland)
    25. Detroit Lions (9-5)
    26. Houston Texans (10-5)
    27. Baltimore Ravens (11-4)
    28. Pittsburgh Steelers (11-4)
    29. San Francisco 49ers (11-3)
    30. New Orleans Saints (11-3)(traded to New England)
    31. New England Patriots (12-3)
    32. Green Bay Packers (13-1)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

I don't think it's a great move by Jones if he does stay. His stock falling coincided with Blake Bell getting more game time towards the end of the year when it was apparent the Sooners were out of the BCS title game hunt. Bell is very much seen as the next big thing in Oklahoma and there's no certainty Jones would even be the starter for a full campaign if he returns, especially as the Sooners have now seen what he's like without Ryan Broyles. With Barkley returning, Jones should leave now as the #3 QB - he'll be no higher than #3 next year up against Barkley, Wilson, Bray, Murray etc.

Well thats the other side of the argument and your right, he's going to come under serious pressure to even hold onto his starting position.

I think though another year in college (granted he can hold onto his starting role) would be beneficial for Jones and help him develop further as a passer.

Also, next years draft class could be stacked if Murray and Bray come out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Mmmmm................strange, the NFL.com site is not loading for me (on any browser), anyone else seeing this ??!! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

Mmmmm................strange, the NFL.com site is not loading for me (on any browser), anyone else seeing this ??!! :confused:

Has been working grand for me

Does anyone here agree that the Colts defense has outstanding durability and stamina? It seems that every year the defense goes from muck to well above average at the business end of the season.

They've been pretty consistent all year but extremely hard when your never getting a hand from the Offense!

They've been pretty consistent all year but extremely hard when your never getting a hand from the Offense!

The offenses they've faced have been way better since the bye, and they did a nice containment job on NE and Carolina. Look at it this way, at the start of the year they gave up 27 to Cleveland, around 2 thirds through the year they give up 27 points to Carolina.

I don't think you can use those two teams as contrasting examples...Carolina are only two wins better off!

• Advertisement

I don't think you can use those two teams as contrasting examples...Carolina are only two wins better off!

Yes you can, Cleveland is one of the worst offenses in the league, Carolina is one of the best.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement