Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Cam Newton running in from within 10 constantly doesn't make them one of the best in the league!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

kmart6 wrote: »
    Cam Newton running in from within 10 constantly doesn't make them one of the best in the league!

It doesn't. 3rd in rushing yards, 11th in passing and 5th in scoring does.

Just don't think you can compare those two teams! As a D we've been screwed with injuries...pass rush has been solid all year thanks to Mathis and Freeney...beasts...secondary has been woeful...and traditional we can't defend the run!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Ok I have read the past pages and did a search before I get accused of reposting :eek:

There are lots of these Sports Science videos on youtube
    Here is one for Drew Brees

Worth watching a few of them if you've time to spare

Incredible what Brees can do

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭RGIII

Lots of talk about Jon Gruden to the Rams. Interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

RGIII wrote: »

If it gets him off of ESPN, then thank God.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

RGIII wrote: »

Jeff Fisher will most likely get the Rams job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

Booo, love Gruden on MNF!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

"The RAMS! The St. Louis Rams! They're a HELL of a football team! Bradford! I LOVE this kid!" -- Gruden.

:pac:

The Colts bid for #1 pick in the draft has got a huge boost by the fact Dan Orlovsky's wife just had triplets...poor fecker prob won't get a wink of sleep between now and Sunday :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

The Colts bid for #1 pick in the draft has got a huge boost by the fact Dan Orlovsky's wife just had triplets...poor fecker prob won't get a wink of sleep between now and Sunday :pac:

That situation is so interesting. Anyone looking at it logically from an organisational standpoint knows it's way, way better for the Colts to lose than to win the game, yet the players themselves will want to win for their own 'pride', a term that has to be used very, very loosely in the context of a 2-13 season.

What happens if the Colts are four behind and have time to play? Or a point up going into the stretch? Does the defensive co-ordinator fudge his lines? You want to see the game played in the best spirit but it'd be atrocious if the Colts threw away Luck for a meaningless victory over an almost equally awful team.

Ah the problem with this whole thing now is the Jags are so bad that if the Colts aren't giving a 100% it'll really show up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Ok I have read the past pages and did a search before I get accused of reposting :eek:

There are lots of these Sports Science videos on youtube
    Here is one for Drew Brees

Worth watching a few of them if you've time to spare

Incredible what Brees can do

Been posted before, but still incredible to watch. Brees' accuracy is frighteningly good.

Syferus wrote: »
    That situation is so interesting. Anyone looking at it logically from an organisational standpoint knows it's way, way better for the Colts to lose than to win the game, yet the players themselves will want to win for their own 'pride', a term that has to be used very, very loosely in the context of a 2-13 season.

What happens if the Colts are four behind and have time to play? Or a point up going into the stretch? Does the defensive co-ordinator fudge his lines? You want to see the game played in the best spirit but it'd be atrocious if the Colts threw away Luck for a meaningless victory over an almost equally awful team.

It means nothing to Caldwell to lose. He's out of a job either way. Might as well get an extra win on the CV. Ditto, a lot of big players whose contracts are up.

I fear the Colts will spend the next 10-15 years watching Andrew Luck in the playoffs year after year, from their couches.

Do you really think Caldwell is gone!? I think he'll be kept on!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Just watched the Bengals season of Hard Knocks there and was going through Wikipedia seeing how some of the players featured got on in the future.

I took an interest in Chris Henry from the pieces I had seen of him. Looked like a complete troublemaker but someone who was an explosive, exciting player to watch and seemed to be turning his life around on what was almost certainly his final chance.

Went on to his page to see if he had managed to stay out of trouble only to discover he died halfway during that season after falling off a truck during a ''domestic dispute'' with his fiancée :eek: Only 26 and had 3 kids as well, very sad. Seemed like no matter what he did he was the type of person that something bad was always likely to happen to.

Do you really think Caldwell is gone!? I think he'll be kept on!

With it being the Colts, nothing would surprise me, but a big clean up of the front office is needed, and I don't think Irsay is ready to sack the Polians.

Either way, Caldwell's not gonna want to lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭deisedude

Paully D wrote: »
    Just watched the Bengals season of Hard Knocks there and was going through Wikipedia seeing how some of the players featured got on in the future.

I took an interest in Chris Henry from the pieces I had seen of him. Looked like a complete troublemaker but someone who was an explosive, exciting player to watch and seemed to be turning his life around on what was almost certainly his final chance.

Went on to his page to see if he had managed to stay out of trouble only to discover he died halfway during that season after falling off a truck during a ''domestic dispute'' with his fiancée :eek: Only 26 and had 3 kids as well, very sad. Seemed like no matter what he did he was the type of person that something bad was always likely to happen to.

Hard Knocks is a brilliant show. Shame there was no series last year. You hit the nail on the head with Henry. He was talented but a magnet for trouble. Unfortunately for years the Bengals resembled a day camp for jailbirds! Even this year Benson and Simpson have got in trouble and i wouldn't be surprised if they aren't Bengals next year

deisedude wrote: »
    Hard Knocks is a brilliant show.

Fantastic series, I expect nothing less from HBO. You know it's good when it can make you almost kind of nearly like a Jets player or two! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Ouch, that's a right dig from Bart Scott :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Not sure if posted already but here's Cam Newton mic'd up.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-films-sound-efx/09000d5d8257ec49/Sound-FX-Cam-Newton

Love when he gave the ball to the kid. Great player and team mate. I like him more and more.

Love that after the WR got in his ear about taking the ball off him after the long TD,Cam gives him the ball to give to a fan after the 49 TD run!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

deisedude wrote: »
    Hard Knocks is a brilliant show. Shame there was no series last year. You hit the nail on the head with Henry. He was talented but a magnet for trouble. Unfortunately for years the Bengals resembled a day camp for jailbirds! Even this year Benson and Simpson have got in trouble and i wouldn't be surprised if they aren't Bengals next year

Yep, it's a brilliant show.

I was surprised to see that the Bengals were associated with players like that. I guess there's always going to be players on a roster who are some sort of trouble, but Marvin Lewis came across as a very decent fella who wouldn't really associate his team with them. Ochocinco was superb, really funny. You've got to love that confidence even if it can come across as annoying at times.

The Jets season was very good. Rex Ryan was TV gold.

I watched the Ravens one which I really enjoyed but because it was one of the first made I didn't find it as informative or detailed as the newer seasons. The Cowboys one made me want to punch the screen whenever Jerry Jones was on :pac:

I'll watch the Chiefs season tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

Any word on Hard Knocks coming back this year?

I'm sure it will be, HBO wanted to make it again this year but couldn't put it together with the lockout. It's a ratings hit every year, I've no doubt it'll be back.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Pretty bizarre fine for a TD celebration ...Love the bit in bold.

"METAIRIE, La. -- Saints running back Pierre Thomas has been fined $12,500 for a uniform violation and a touchdown celebration in which he placed a bow on a football and gave it to a fan.

The fine for the celebration is $7,500. Thomas also violated NFL policies by wearing Christmas-themed green and red tape on his black and gold Saints uniform, and his fine for that is $5,000.

Notice of the fines was taped to Thomas' locker by teammates with a big red bow on top as part of a prank.

Thomas says he's still happy he "gave a lucky fan a wonderful gift." He says he'd noticed the woman in Saints gear behind the end zone and figured she deserved it."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

adrian522 wrote: »
    Pretty bizarre fine for a TD celebration ...Love the bit in bold.

"METAIRIE, La. -- Saints running back Pierre Thomas has been fined $12,500 for a uniform violation and a touchdown celebration in which he placed a bow on a football and gave it to a fan.

The fine for the celebration is $7,500. Thomas also violated NFL policies by wearing Christmas-themed green and red tape on his black and gold Saints uniform, and his fine for that is $5,000.

Notice of the fines was taped to Thomas' locker by teammates with a big red bow on top as part of a prank.

Thomas says he's still happy he "gave a lucky fan a wonderful gift." He says he'd noticed the woman in Saints gear behind the end zone and figured she deserved it."

These celebration fines have reached completely insane levels, people want to see a show, a bit of fun or even a bit of melodrama in the case of some of T.O.'s celebrations. Trying to set a good example is all well and good as an ideal, but I don't think anyone wants to watch Autobots play.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Syferus wrote: »
    These celebration fines have reached completely insane levels, people want to see a show, a bit of fun or even a bit of melodrama in the case of some of T.O.'s celebrations. Trying to set a good example is all well and good as an ideal, but I don't think anyone wants to watch Autobots play.

I still remember Moss' TD record catch against the Giants, and he was doing a dance in the end zone. Moroney came in, and kind of shuffled his feet, and drew a flag for 'excessive celebration'. Just for kind of dancing with Moss as he celebrated an NFL record. There should be boundaries alright, but that was just crazy.

That Aussie punter for LSU too who had a TD ruled out this season for 'taunting' as he held out the football for a millisecond when going into the endzone too. crazy stuff.

FreeOSCAR wrote:
    Friendly bet? I say the Jets don't make it past the Wildcard Playoffs. If I'm right, I design a nice shiny Patriots sig for you to use that can only be removed after the Superbowl, if I'm wrong, you can pick a Jets one for me to use.

Awesome. Your on. :)

I'll get to designing this sig later ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

if raiders lose and Bengals lose, does the bronco's result have any bearing on Titans making the playoffs?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement