Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

if raiders lose and Bengals lose, does the bronco's result have any bearing on Titans making the playoffs?

No, Titans are out.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

some of the records that were set this year:
    Single season passing yards record
    Old: Dan Marino – 5,084 yards (1984)
    New: Drew Bress – 5,476 yards

Highest single season quarterback rating
    Old: Peyton Manning – 121.1 (2004)
    New: Aaron Rodgers – 122.5

Most single season pass completions
    Old: Peyton Manning – 450 (2010)
    New: Drew Bress – 468

Highest single season pass completion percentage
    Old: Drew Brees – 70.6% (2009)
    New: Drew Brees – 71.6%

Most single season passing yards by a rookie
    Old: Peyton Manning – 3,739 yards (1998)
    New: Cam Newton – 4,051 yards

Most single season 400+ yards passing games
    Old: 12 (2004, 2010)
    New: 17

Most single season rushing touchdowns by a quarterback
    Old: Steve Grogan – 12 (1976)
    New: Cam Newton – 14

Most team single season passing touchdowns
    Old: New England Patriots – 50 (2007)
    New: Green Bay Packers – 51

Most single season team passing yards
    Old: St. Louis Rams – 5,232 yards (2000)
    New: New Orleans Saints – 5,347 yards

Most single season offensive yards by a team
    Old: St. Louis Rams – 7,075 yards (2000)
    New: New Orleans Saints – 7,474 yards

Most single season first downs
    Old: Kansas City Chiefs – 398 (2004)
    New: New Orleans Saints – 416

Most single season all purpose yards
    Old: Derrick Mason 2,960 yards (2000)
    New: Darren Sproles – 2,969 yards

Most single season yards receiving by a tight end
    Old: Kellen Winslow – 1,290 yards (1980)
    New: Rob Gronkowski – 1,327 yards

Most single season touchdowns caught by a tight end
    Old: Antonio Gates, Vernon Davies – 13 (2004, 2009)
    New: Rob Gronkowski – 17

Most single season points scored by a kicker
    Old: Gary Anderson – 164 (1998)
    New: David Akers – 165

Most single season penalties conceded
    Old: Kansas City Chiefs – 158 (1998)
    New: Oakland Raiders – 168

Most single season penalty yards conceded
    Old: Kansas City Chiefs – 1,304 yards (1998)
    New: Oakland Raiders – 1,358 yards

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Hey at least the Raiders have won something this year...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Steve Spagnuolo is the first Black Monday casualty, he's been sacked by St. Louis.

Turner, Morris and Caldwell would be best advised to take the batteries out of their cellphones today.

• Advertisement

The GM Devaney is also gone in st louis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

some of the records that were set this year:

They forgot the most impressive of the lot.

Most Wins by a Head Coach/Quarterback Duo:
    Old Record: Don Shula/Dan Marino - 116 wins
    New Record: Bill Belichick/Tom Brady - 124 wins

Morris is gone according to Schefter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Spagnuolo is a good coach, I was hoping he'd get another year. He may get another head coaching job some day

For now I would think Andy Reid has a DC spot open for him
    Spagnuolo has already spent a few years with the Eagles

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

The Polians have been fired in Indy.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d825a6ca7/article/colts-begin-house-cleaning-by-firing-execs-bill-chris-polian?module=HP11_breaking_news

Strangely, Bill Polian was hired the day after Indy earned the 1st draft pick in 1998, and has been fired the day after earning the 1st draft pick in 2012.

• Advertisement

Uh...I fear for who's going to end up being in charge of us!!

Most 4th Quarter touchdowns was broken to!

Old: Namath and Peyton 14 TD's
    New: Eli 15 TD's

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Hammar

Paully D wrote: »

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d825a6ca7/article/colts-begin-house-cleaning-by-firing-execs-bill-chris-polian?module=HP11_breaking_news

Strangely, Bill Polian was hired the day after Indy earned the 1st draft pick in 1998, and has been fired the day after earning the 1st draft pick in 2012.

Jim Caldwell likely to follow them out the door.
    Bill certainly had a huge part in the Colts success, as he was involved with the building of that formidable offense, Manning,James,Wayne,Clark all under his regime and he also made some terrific pick ups in the lower rounds,getting Ryan Diem in the 4th round, Mathis in the 5th and Cato June in the 6th who was a key part in our super bowl success.
    He had two first round picks whom you would have to consider outright busts
    Jerry Hughes (2010) and Marlin Jackson (2005).
    His overall record however speaks for itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭Justin10

Im going say it now, I hope Norv Turner stays in charge of the Chargers. If not some offensive is going to get really good really fast.

Hope AJ is booted out the door. Cant argue with the last 5 drafts. Have been very poor.

Jason LaConfora is tipping Norv Turner to come to Baltimore as OC if he gets fired

LaConfora is from Baltimore so maybe he has some info

For sure the Ravens would be happy to have him
    The Chargers tore the Ravens to shreds two weeks ago

Hammar wrote: »
    He had two first round picks whom you would have to consider outright busts
    Jerry Hughes (2010) and Marlin Jackson (2005).

I'd have to disagree with you there! Saying he's a bust is a bit harsh! He was a solid enough CB/S for us, did a good job replacing Sanders when he went out injured for the season!

And without his interception of Mr Brady we may not have even had the chance to win the SuperBowl!

Big blow to Pittsburgh: Steelers RB Rashard Mendenhall tore his ACL and is out for the season.

Confirmed

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Hammar

kmart6 wrote: »
    I'd have to disagree with you there! Saying he's a bust is a bit harsh! He was a solid enough CB/S for us, did a good job replacing Sanders when he went out injured for the season!

And without his interception of Mr Brady we may not have even had the chance to win the SuperBowl!

You're probably right there,its a bit unfair to label him an outright bust,
    He did have a bad knee injury in 2008,so we undoubtedly didn't see the best of him because of that.
    Even the likes of Rob Morris whom wasn't a sexy pick back in 2000 contributed a fair amount to the colts cause,even if he was never going to be a perennial pro-bowler.
    Polian's overall record is impressive,With the exception of Hughes,whom the colts have virtually given up on,He hasn't made many poor choices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

Rochey18 wrote: »
    Im going say it now, I hope Norv Turner stays in charge of the Chargers. If not some offensive is going to get really good really fast.

Hope AJ is booted out the door. Cant argue with the last 5 drafts. Have been very poor.

Really can't decided if i want Norv and AJ fired or kept, the team plays savage football at times but they're just too inconsistent. If you bring in a new regime there will have to be a rebuilding period more than likely. It always seems like we have the potential to do well but we just don't achieve it.
    In regards to draft busts i read a good article on bolts from the blue that put up a good case for justifying the reasoning behind the 1st round picks that became busts.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Raheem Morris fired in TB which is a bit crazy, they suffered more then anyone during the lockout having such a proper young team.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Any one know of a film about a team that drafted a lot of last round players and won the Superbowl a year or two later surpassing all expectation?

A mate described something along those lines and says it's a true story, but doesn't know the name of the team or the film!

baz2009 wrote: »
    Any one know of a film about a team that drafted a lot of last round players and won the Superbowl a year or two later surpassing all expectation?

A mate described something along those lines and says it's a true story, but doesn't know the name of the team or the film!

He's not got it completely wrong and is thinking of Moneyball by any chance?

Doesn't meet your description exactly but maybe The Replacements

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Replacements_(film)

• Registered Users Posts: 38,369 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Paully D wrote: »

:):):):):)

Somebody posted this on another site and I love it.
    He had a pretty disappointing performance on the rules committee this year. He really tried to eliminate the forward pass a week before the season started, but some others resisted his suggestion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

baz2009 wrote: »

Are you sure he's not referring to Any Given Sunday?

A 3rd string seventh rounder rookie QB. However, lot's of your description doesn't match that movie at all. I'll have another think about it.

EDIT: I don't think any movie fits that tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Stev_o wrote: »
    Raheem Morris fired in TB which is a bit crazy, they suffered more then anyone during the lockout having such a proper young team.

I guess Tampa were just youngry for change. :o

Watching the Stanford game here and how coincidental is it that their Special Teams Coordinator is Brian Polian, and considering his families relationship to the Colts and the fact Luck is more than likely going there!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

By the sounds of things from San Diego, he's kept his job... no idea what the story with AJ is, he'll keep it too with a bit of luck.

Norv is one of the best offensive minds in the NFL but i'll still maintain that he's a poor HC and is a bit too much of a nice guy to be a great leader of men. The players LOVE him though so i think they'll lobby for him to stay. If not...Colts perhaps? I think he'd thrive, Manning is the one doing the leading there, on top of half the coaching and him and Norv in charge of an offence would be a sight to behold

Regarding Black Monday, I'm very surprised the Colts fired Bill Polian before Caldwell, very kneejerk imo as he's been one of the best executives in the league over the last decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭Justin10

Rumours going around twitter last night that Manning has requested to be released or traded.

This morning on NFL has a story that Manning is shocked with the firings.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Rumours going around twitter last night that Manning has requested to be released or traded.

This morning on NFL has a story that Manning is shocked with the firings.

I believe BP was going to sit Luck and play Manning and financially that doesn't make sense.

Another reason could be that he just got sick of the blatant nepotism involved.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement