Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Rochey18 wrote: »
    Rumours going around twitter last night that Manning has requested to be released or traded.

This morning on NFL has a story that Manning is shocked with the firings.

what happens with his contract if he's released?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Rochey18 wrote: »
    Rumours going around twitter last night that Manning has requested to be released or traded.

This morning on NFL has a story that Manning is shocked with the firings.

what happens with his contract if he's released?

If they don't pay him he is released.

I'd be very surprised if this move doesn't signal the end of the Manning era in Indy.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,259 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Jerry Angelo out as Bears GM
    pink-shirt-nets-fan-o.gif

Don't replace him with Tim Ruskell(Angelo 2.0) and I will be DELIGHTED.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭neilster

kmart6 wrote: »
    Incredible as a RB, not a QB!

I take issue with a lot of this on Newton , he is a rookie with only one season under his belt and i think most people would say he unquestionably has surpassed what Sam Bradford did the season before . Its unfair to measure him against seasoned pros

He also has surpassed marks and statistics that othe rookies like Josh Freeman has attained .

He has been more accurate and more talented throwing the ball than expected at 60% completions. His passer rating is 84 , again it is a good first mark. He has thrown for 4051 yards with Steve Smith his only real elite target. The tight ends have performed better than expected but he doesnt have an elite target at Tight End which would have helped. As a system quarterback and as a rookie he has outperformed what might have occurred . at 21 Tds vs 17 INT it could improve but i think it will with more weapons

When discussing his Rushing stats at 50 yards a game and 10 TDs , he could concievably earn a living as a Running Back if he wasnt a thrower . He is their teams best option in a lot of red zone offensive looks and they have chosen him with 10TDs the result.

Cam Newton at this present moment is easily on target for where Carolina envisaged him and will only improve

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Has Cam really closed his account??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

neilster wrote: »
    Cam Newton at this present moment is easily on target for where Carolina envisaged him and will only improve

True and weeks ago I retracted my statement abotu him and admitted I got it wrong about him.

Pity others on here wouldnt man up and admit they are wrong about Tebow ......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

D3PO wrote: »

Oh yeah because Tebow has proven us all wrong.

Edit: Oh I see what you did there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

True and weeks ago I retracted my statement abotu him and admitted I got it wrong about him.

Why, because we're in the playoffs? He still did win us 6 games on the spin and has us in the playoffs, we're not quite that fickle. Fans wanted him and we have to take the bad with the good and all that's been so far is 3 now meaningless defeats.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Jopari87

I think you have to give credit to Tebow for what he has done, but he will have to follow it up again next year to be regarded as a success imo, as defenses have begun to adapt to him.

After all Derek Anderson got a pro bowl in 2007 and hasn't been heard of since. The thing Tebow has to prove is that he is not like the Wildcat, and have a hugely successful year before teams adapt and stop it.

• Advertisement

6-for-22 for 60 yards, 1 INT and a passer rating of 20.6

yes you're right, those numbers prove he deserves to be a starting NFL quarterback...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

spiralism wrote: »
    Why, because we're in the playoffs? He still did win us 6 games on the spin and has us in the playoffs, we're not quite that fickle. Fans wanted him and we have to take the bad with the good and all that's been so far is 3 now meaningless defeats.

Kyle Orton won 6 in a row i remember and you's still hated him then.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

6-for-22 for 60 yards, 1 INT and a passer rating of 20.6

yes you're right, those numbers prove he deserves to be a starting NFL quarterback...

He's saying that Tebow isn't good enough you fool.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Stev_o wrote: »
    Kyle Orton won 6 in a row i remember and you's still hated him then.

Not at the time we didn't. He was even liked pretty well that year after the 2-8 collapse. It was only the 4-12 season that dug his grave, in particular after the oakland fiasco as his first 6 games he was class and got a lot of praise from broncos fans, myself included, check my posts from back then. Realistically though, the main issue with him at the end was that he symbolised the hated mcdaniels regime and a dark period in the team's history, the fans wanted to move on when it was clear orton hadn't in the team's 1-4 start.

matthew8 wrote: »
    He's saying that Tebow isn't good enough you fool.

no need for that. i didnt realise obviously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭poldebruin

arghhh.....the Tebow thread has spilled into general banter!

Cam Newton proved a lot of people wrong - including people who are paid to evaluate players. IMO he's had an incredible season, and I don't say that lightly. No one picked Carolina to do anything this year and they burst out of the gate and remained competitive in most games all year long.

You hear a lot about how much faster the NFL is compared to the college game, but when I see Cam Newton run, it looks pretty much the same to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Cam Newton has done a million times better then I expected him to, I thought he would be terrible but I am still not sold on him being a franchise QB and a top 3 guy that people now expect him to be. Similar to Tebow I think teams will be able to find ways to shut down him running and from what I've seen his decision making still needs work.

Cam Newton has done a million times better then I expected him to, I thought he would be terrible but I am still not sold on him being a franchise QB and a top 3 guy that people now expect him to be. Similar to Tebow I think teams will be able to find ways to shut down him running and from what I've seen his decision making still needs work.

...that's the best part - he's not the finished article yet. Of course I also thought Josh Freeman would kick on from last year, so what do I know!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

poldebruin wrote: »
    No one picked Carolina to do anything this year and they burst out of the gate and remained competitive in most games all year long.

Burst outta the gate?!...they started 1-5!:confused:

They only won 6 games! 2 against Tampa when they were having their worst part of the season! Then 1 each against the Colts(nothing to be proud of,Painter, Brown and Wayne were all the top performers that week), Texan(Yates outperformed Newton), Jags(another hopeless team this year) and the Redskins(which could prob be considered the best win of the lot)!

The Panthers have been hyped way too much this year IMO, and I know people will argue that it's just Newton there on his own but that's bull!

The 10 games they lost by an average of 11.6 points so they didn't keep it close!

• Advertisement

They only won 6 games! 2 against Tampa when they were having their worst part of the season! Then 1 each against the Colts(nothing to be proud of,Painter, Brown and Wayne were all the top performers that week), Texan(Yates outperformed Newton), Jags(another hopeless team this year) and the Redskins(which could prob be considered the best win of the lot)!

The Panthers have been hyped way too much this year IMO, and I know people will argue that it's just Newton there on his own but that's bull!

The 10 games they lost by an average of 11.6 points so they didn't keep it close!

Compared to last year, the losses were a lot closer, even though some had large margins, they only had 2 bad losses. But that's not the point. The point is that they are a very good team and with Beason back they will improve their run defense. Their offense is very potent and with Gettis back next year that adds another receiving option.

matthew8 wrote: »
    they only had 2 bad losses

Atlanta 14 points
    Tennessee 27 points
    Detroit 14 points
    New Orleans 28 points

That's 4 big losses in my eyes!

Ha! Maybe burst was too strong. But if you look at what they accomplished in those first 5/6 weeks or so....Newton was setting records and they were competitive against all but ATL and even then they were leading entering the 4th.

lost by 7 to ARI - scored 21
    lost by 7 to GB - scored 23
    Beat JAX
    lost by 5 to CHI - scored 29
    lost by 3 to NO - scored 27
    beat WASH

They finished with ranked 5th in scoring and 7th in yards offensively. You can colour me impressed with them this year, and I look for them to be competing for wildcard next year.

Got a TD against GB with 40 seconds to go...that's all that made that close!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭wonderboysam

dya ever wonder how much sex these college quaterbacks are getting.. sigh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

Chargers have decided they're going to stick with AJ and Norv for another season, last chance for them you'd have to presume

dya ever wonder how much sex these college quaterbacks are getting.. sigh
    Ah I'd say it's crazy...wouldn't be surprised if the Head Coach appointed someone to make sure they were all wrapping up...don't need a tonne of babies running around as a distraction!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

..don't need a tonne of babies running around as a distraction!

.. or a scorching case of herpes!

Atlanta 14 points
    Tennessee 27 points
    Detroit 14 points
    New Orleans 28 points

That's 4 big losses in my eyes!

The losses to Atlanta and Detroit were close until the last minutes of the game.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭neilster

Offensively they improved mostly due to Newton with a rebound from Steve Smith
    But defensively Carolina are the leagues worst and it isnt even close ...who is real quality on the DLine the Linebacking Corps or secondary ...really ?

When their number comes up in the draft they need to pick the best defensive players on the board be that Kirkpatrick , Claiborne or Dennard

Be it Poe , Coples , INgram ,Perry or an Upshaw, ZBrown or Kuechly ...whoever doesnt matter really ...they dont have to be specific ...just a 1st round pick in this draft will improve that awful defense ...you cant list defeats and score differentials without mentioning defense otherwise you are scapegoating their big hope.. Newton. If Carolina cant wheel and deal with their pick with QB -needy teams they could really replenish their biggest needs on defense

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement