Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

neilster wrote: »

Be it Poe , Coples , INgram ,Perry or an Upshaw, ZBrown or Kuechly ...whoever doesnt matter really ...they dont have to be specific ...just a 1st round pick in this draft will improve that awful defense ...you cant list defeats and score differentials without mentioning defense otherwise you are scapegoating their big hope.. Newton.

So what, pick any defensive player and that'll make a difference, think a bit more evaluation has to go into it!

Put it to you this was....against the Colts it was two interceptions in the redzone by the D that won that game! And out of the 6 games they did win, Newton only topped the other QB once so the D was doing something right!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭neilster

D3PO wrote: »
    True and weeks ago I retracted my statement abotu him and admitted I got it wrong about him.

Pity others on here wouldnt man up and admit they are wrong about Tebow ......
    Its probably best for us to put Tebow in proper perspective

He has great virtues and he surprised people and teams but now teams are pinning him into the pocket and he will have to adapt

I think John Elway if he really believes in Tebow can improve the throwing. He has shown on out routes and posts and other routes that he can connect ...throw a fast ball and clinch crunch throws but in recent games some throws spend way too long in the air ...Tebow has reached his ceiling ...can he improve ...well if anyone can ? he can but this may be his ceiling

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

But defensively Carolina are the leagues worst and it isnt even close ...who is real quality on the DLine the Linebacking Corps or secondary ...really ?

Chris Gamble would start on most teams, he's a Carolina cornerback. Charles Johnson would start on most teams, he's a Carolina DE. Jon Beason is an elite MLB, he plays for Carolina. The worst defense in the league is the Tampa Bay defense, and I'd rather Carolina's defense than the Patriots or Raiders defense.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Does Skip Bayless act controversial on purpose or is he just a massive, massive twat?

NFL version of Dunphy....so that should give you an answer!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭poldebruin

kmart6 wrote: »
    Got a TD against GB with 40 seconds to go...that's all that made that close!

ah, so they had the chance for a win with an onside kick recovery - even better :)

Offensively they improved mostly due to Newton with a rebound from Steve Smith
    But defensively Carolina are the leagues worst and it isnt even close ...who is real quality on the DLine the Linebacking Corps or secondary ...really ?

When their number comes up in the draft they need to pick the best defensive players on the board be that Kirkpatrick , Claiborne or Dennard

Be it Poe , Coples , INgram ,Perry or an Upshaw, ZBrown or Kuechly ...whoever doesnt matter really ...they dont have to be specific ...just a 1st round pick in this draft will improve that awful defense ...you cant list defeats and score differentials without mentioning defense otherwise you are scapegoating their big hope.. Newton. If Carolina cant wheel and deal with their pick with QB -needy teams they could really replenish their biggest needs on defense

I agree their defence is pretty poor, but it would take something special to be worse then Tampa Bay this year.

That said, I'm sure you are correct and Carolina will look at adding some defensive strength via the draft.

Strangely, it can be easier for a defence to improve dramatically without the need to change the personnel much, just by changing coordinator. Wade Phillips has made a dramatic difference in Houston and he did the same in Denver (many moons ago) You can frequently see a defence come from nowhere into the top 10 in any given year.

OAOB wrote: »
    Chargers have decided they're going to stick with AJ and Norv for another season, last chance for them you'd have to presume

Definitely last chance. San Diego have been guilty of gross underachievement with the level of talent they have - and to fail to get out of the West for two years in a row with that team is unforgiveable (then again - it seems not)

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/don_banks/01/03/norv.turner/index.html?sct=nfl_t11_a0

Rochey18 wrote: »
    Rumours going around twitter last night that Manning has requested to be released or traded.

This morning on NFL has a story that Manning is shocked with the firings.
    matthew8 wrote: »
    Chris Gamble would start on most teams, he's a Carolina cornerback. Charles Johnson would start on most teams, he's a Carolina DE. Jon Beason is an elite MLB, he plays for Carolina. The worst defense in the league is the Tampa Bay defense, and I'd rather Carolina's defense than the Patriots or Raiders defense.

They are the 27th ranked defense against 28 for oakland and 31 for New England so statistically you are right but all are bad defenses ... all three teams cant defend the run or defend the pass .Carolina have improved in 2011 on offense but all the change is needed in defense, they are players that are talented just not enough of them . On draft day they will pick the best remaining defensive player in the 1st round

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

poldebruin wrote: »
    Definitely last chance. San Diego have been guilty of gross underachievement with the level of talent they have - and to fail to get out of the West for two years in a row with that team is unforgiveable (then again - it seems not)

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/don_banks/01/03/norv.turner/index.html?sct=nfl_t11_a0

I actually think its a myth about how talented the Chargers are now, 3 or 4 years ago they had strength in almost every position but through injury and age thats not the case anymore. There defence especially has a lot of problems with no depth at linebacker or in the secondary. On offence they're pretty well set if they can find a good young player to back-up and eventually replace Gates.
    Having said all that they should still be winning the AFC West and are definitely underachieving under Norv and AJ but hopefully the realisation that its all or nothing next year might inspire them a bit more.

• Advertisement

poldebruin wrote: »
    I agree their defence is pretty poor, but it would take something special to be worse then Tampa Bay this year.

That said, I'm sure you are correct and Carolina will look at adding some defensive strength via the draft.

Strangely, it can be easier for a defence to improve dramatically without the need to change the personnel much, just by changing coordinator. Wade Phillips has made a dramatic difference in Houston and he did the same in Denver (many moons ago) You can frequently see a defence come from nowhere into the top 10 in any given year.

You make some good points on a defense rebounding so quickly . I think it ties into the draft in a way ...Corner backs rarely go in the top five ...and never top three ..i think someone said the last is 97 for shawn springs but a reciever will because that talent is harder to replicate , replace ...find again ...so Justin Blackmon may go top three to the Vikes but they wouldnt spend the pick on Dre Kirkpatrick and i think it shows in the Houston rebound

They went out and got Wade Phillips who knows defense , he put in his base 3-4 defense and was lucky that several of the players could play a 3-4 after being selected for a 4-3 in the draft . He obviously got them to play at a high level but selecting JJ Watt and Brooks Read who have shown elite talent quickly was huge but you are right...not forgetting their good showing in free agency . A solid draft from Carolina on defense could be huge particularly if they hoover up extra picks .

Someone else mentioned the Bucs and they are the worst ...i wouldnt dispute that but they had Bowers & Clayborn starting who have been injured previously and are very raw. There defensive tackles werent great and then Hainsworth came in . If they could get Albert to improve a little and the two rookies have an upside and draft a Corner like Kirkpatrick and more defensive pieces Tampa could rebound quite a bit ...You get the feeling they lay them a little on Raheem Morris . A real good defensive mind could get that group into the top half of the league on defense ...i know some people will say defense was Morris' forte but they gave up on him i think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Paully D wrote: »
    Does Skip Bayless act controversial on purpose or is he just a massive, massive twat?

Massive massive twat. He was an asshole before Tebow and even more of one now. He jumps on the going trend just to be an asshole. Never liked him.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Suggs has a go at Skip over Tebow

• Registered Users Posts: 38,369 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Wow two horrible creatures in that video. I despise Bayliss but I think I prefer him to that cretin.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

eagle eye wrote: »
    Wow two horrible creatures in that video. I despise Bayliss but I think I prefer him to that cretin.

Booooooooooo. Ball so hard University says be gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

If Bayless was posting here he would get banned for trolling

And you cannot question the Dean of Ball So Hard University

terrell-suggs-bsu-student-id.jpg

And wow, a Patriots fan disliking Suggs??
    No suprise ;)
    Suggs dared to touch Brady. See him there waving for a flag

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

interesting to see how potential playoff opponents view Tebow and the Broncos. Lack of respect there, although its probably a fair point.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    interesting to see how potential playoff opponents view Tebow and the Broncos. Lack of respect there, although its probably a fair point.

In fairness I know Flacco has a better all-round team on his side, but he's gotten very little credit for his side taking one of the top two seeds and winning their division whereas Tebow is raved about. And like Suggs says, you know who you'd rather have on your side. Likewise with Alex Smith and the 49ers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Is Wade Philips going to be back for the playoffs?

Of course his health is the most important thing and he should not rush

But just from a football perspective, well it's a different team without him.
    The players love him in Houston and rave about how simple yet how effective his scheme and calls are

It will affect the Texans anyway so would be interested to know if he'll be back

Not sure if he was on the sidelines for the last game, but he was back at training the week before so I'd imagine he'll be on the sidelines for the weekend!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

mikemac1 wrote: »

The players love him in Houston and rave about how simple yet how effective his scheme and calls are

It will affect the Texans anyway so would be interested to know if he'll be back

I think he was back last week but up in the coach's box.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

What did you/do you all think of Kyle Boller lads?

I've been reading a book about the Ravens from the 2004 season (Boller's 2nd season as a starting QB after been taken as the Ravens 1st round pick, 19th overall pick in the 2003 draft) and I'd be interested to get thoughts and opinions on him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Paully D wrote: »
    What did you/do you all think of Kyle Boller lads?

I've been reading a book about the Ravens from the 2004 season (Boller's 2nd season as a starting QB after been taken as the Ravens 1st round pick, 19th overall pick in the 2003 draft) and I'd be interested to get thoughts and opinions on him.

Garbage.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

What are peoples thoughts on what Greg Mcelroy said in a radio interview recently. Really criticised the team spirit and called out a lot of guys. Fair play to the rookie I say anyway :)

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ycn-10797359

Well he is getting tore to bits by other players over it!

What's said in the dressing room should stay there!

A rookie 3rd string QB out injured for the season should be keeping his mouth shut...not his place to pass comment!

What dressing room is going to want him in it after the Jets are done with him...

kmart6 wrote: »
    Well he is getting tore to bits by other players over it!

What's said in the dressing room should stay there!

A rookie 3rd string QB out injured for the season should be keeping his mouth shut...not his place to pass comment!

What dressing room is going to want him in it after the Jets are done with him...

I agree .....we dont need McElroy to tell us that something wasnt quite right with the Jets ...why a 3rd string QB who will undoubtedly always be on the trade/waive/release bubble until they get a chance to show they have value for a franchise would give us an inner look at a franchise in a fair amount of disarray is beyond me

id love to hear the conversation his agent had with him after that went public

mikemac1 wrote: »

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/kerry_byrne/11/16/wade.phillips/index.html

As a Dallas fan i read this and wept ....they are is no end date on this curse apparently ...i know it is just fun ...but to add some installments to the curse to update it and look as far as the draft

On Black Monday (some of this is tongue in cheek):

Chan Gailey is not fired
    Jason Garrett is not fired
    Jeff Fisher is not talked to by Jerry Jones
    Jake Delhomme prepares to play in the wild-card game

The curse of doug fluties laughs

As 2012 progresses

Ryan Fitz remains , the Bills do not draft a QB or sign a QB free agent
    After the Texans get one and done in the playoffs Wade remains to burnish the curse in Houston , the curse waits to wreak havoc on Tony Romo and the curse that made Mike Smith and Dimitroff totally lose it and ransom a franchise for Julio Jones who of course according to the curse does'nt deliver

My favourite line from the article is about the curse of Doug Flutie dusts off Wade Phillips' resume and sends it to Houston...great stuff ...all in fun but makes you think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Wes Welker was fined last week for wearing an unauthorised hat during his interview after the game. Fined $10,000 which he is appealing. He also tweeted 'Thanks for warning me the other 16 weeks I wore the hat' as he had worn the same hat at all his interviews all season long. Roger Goodell eh, always with his pulse on the things that matter most. Ochocinco congratulated him for being the first white wide receiver to get fined!

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Ochocinco-congratulates-pasty-pilgrim-Welker-o?urn=nfl-wp14904

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

Don't know if anyone has put this up yet - worth a watch I think - but keep the Tebow comments on the other thread

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMK9FKMG3Nc

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement