Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Steelers face salary cap hell

The team is going to be purged in Febrary

Next season it'll more little known players then New England's secondary :p

A fan put together a series of articles on how it'll work, cap projections, likely cuts and who needs to be restructured

Four part article, quite a bit of reading but it's interesting. There is no fifth part yet

http://www.steelerslounge.com/?s=salary+cap

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Don't know if anyone has put this up yet - worth a watch I think - but keep the Tebow comments on the other thread

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMK9FKMG3Nc

F*cking Skip.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

So if you were Jeff Fisher... Would you coach the Rams or Dolphins next year??

Fisher to Rams
    Billick to Dolphins

• Registered Users Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭Justin10

I think the Rams are in a better place. They have some serious players there but also have some seriously bad players starting too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭Justin10

Looks like Josh McDaniels on the way back to the Pats

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Who do you think will be HC in Tampa.

A team full of Talant that needs a strong Coach to get their heads out of their Asses.

Guys like Freeman, Williams and Blount dont become terrible players overnight.

Likewise guys like Talib on Defence have the talent, and the right coach could get it out of them.

Kind of reminds me of the lead up to the 2002 Season.
    Dungy was a good coach, just too nice, and the players especially on Defence played too nice.

In comes Gruden and brings a meaness to Tampa. They go on to win the Superbowl.

Where is our Gruden now? We need another mean Coach.

Bring back Gruden? ;)

Freeman, Blount and Talib, I LOVE these kids
    I tell ya, those guys are REAL football players :p

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Don't know if anyone has put this up yet - worth a watch I think - but keep the Tebow comments on the other thread

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMK9FKMG3Nc
    Why post a video about Tebow in this thread and then ask for Tebow comments to be in the the Tebow v Orton thread?!

Oh and has been posted already...weeks ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Freeman, Blount and Talib, I LOVE these kids
    I tell ya, those guys are REAL football players :p

On Adrian Clayborn: “I called him light switch, because he can go from 0 to 80 in a hurry.”

“He is built like a fire hydrant.”
    On Kyle Vanden Bosch: “He eats glass for breakfast.”
    “The Jets have to walk the talk.”
    “I’ve learned a lot of four and five syllable words from Jaworski. I don’t even know if they’re real words.”

http://thesportsgeeks.com/2011/11/08/ridiculous-jon-gruden-quotes-mnf-2011-part-1/

God I love how Gruden has become his own meme

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Honestly, the Dolphins are in a far better place than the Rams.

They've got a very solid defense that could easily be a top 5 or 7 with not alot of tweaking, they have a Reggie bush that now looks like the Reggie bush he was drafted as and they have a quality top receiver to pin the passing attack on.

Matt Moore has become the major point of contention for the Dolphins now, more than the head coaching choice - do they give him more time based on his unexpectedly good performances (new team, no off-season and thrust into the role in the middle of a game) this year - and he'd already shown glimpses of that in 2009 with the Panthers - or do they try to draft up for RG3 or have they have enough faith in Matt Flynn to try and get him on a big money deal? Moore has shown enough that he deserves to be in at least a starting QB competition where-ever he is, so I would wonder how either scenario happening would effect his place with the team.

With a good coach I could easily see the Dolphins do a 49ers and become a hard-nosed defensive team with good runners and decent QB play, so the new head coach has a big question mark at QB sitting at his desk when he arrives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Old news, I know, but it's almost as if Tony Dungy's football nous is dropping quickly. He's come out with some strange comments lately, not least that Aaron Rodgers is better than Brady or Brees. Why? Because he can run the ball. I'm not saying he's wrong, but Rodgers' elitism comes from his arm, let's face facts. Besides, does he not remember who he had as QB at Indy? Evasive in the pocket was Manning, but hardly mobile.
    Furthermore, Andrew Luck is quite a decent rusher, when he needs to be.
    And even furthermore, rushing in the NFL, in modern times is a recipe for an early retirement. Watch how Rodgers gradually reduces his rushing yardage over the years. Watch as Cam Newton will be all about the arm in 5 years time.

Very surprised by Dungy's latest remarks.

Rodgers isn't a large yardage runner, but one that shows enough aptitude for it that defences have to account for it in short-yardage situations or be continually burnt. Rodgers is passing as good as Brees or Brady at the moment; Dungy is right - Rodgers running ability is what makes him the better QB in the year 2012, no one is talking five years time.

I'd have to agree with Syrefus on this one!

When needed Rodgers can run to get the first down...Bress never runs cause he's all about throwing...and Brady has proven himself to be a woeful runner this year, on a couple of occasions he has started to run then tries to slide...but has managed to get his left knee(think that's his troublesome one) caught in the turf and could have done seriously damage to himself,bad times when you can't slide properly....that said he had the longest run of his career this year, 12 yards if I remember correctly!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

latest post from NFL on Facebook:
    Cuid a haon as ár tuar Superbowl: Cé a cheapann tú a bhuaigh an AFC Championship agus cén fáth?
    :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

latest post from NFL on Facebook:
    Cuid a haon as ár tuar Superbowl: Cé a cheapann tú a bhuaigh an AFC Championship agus cén fáth?
    :D

there has been updates all season for Irish fans, part of NFLs drive to keep going into international levels.

the latest update is: Cuid a dó as ár tuartha a Superbowl: Cé a cheapann tú a bhuaigh an NFC Championship agus cén fáth?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

I'm just thinking about (strange) novelty bets for the Broncos/Steelers game, and my reasoning is that with both teams suffering some injuries, and if Roethlesberger also gets injured (early), this game could go banannas :
    Record no. of punts in the game !
    A 0-0 scoreline !
    Maybe a scoreline of 12-9 (all FGs) !
    Brady Quinn to pass for a TD !
    Tebow to throw a 'perfect' game !!!
    Game still tied after OT ! (penalty shoot-out :pac:)
    Broncos to win (by 8 or more points) !
    Prater to win game on 65yard FG attempt !
    I'd imagine you'd get some pretty BIG odds on some of those idiotic suggestions :p

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Does anyone know what happened to the poster Cam Newton/Peyton Manning? Always enjoyed his contributions on here, but it seems he's closed his account.

Shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Paully D wrote: »
    Does anyone know what happened to the poster Cam Newton/Peyton Manning? Always enjoyed his contributions on here, but it seems he's closed his account.

Shame.

I didnt notice, that sucks :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

Assumed he was Eli Manning?

Only saw one of his posts though, thought it was weird that a 5/6 year old account named after a QB started posting here so soon after Tom (could never get used to Cam) stopped posting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Hopefully you're right MM

• Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Tristram

NBC just confirmed McDaniels is back to the Pats from Monday as an assistant until he takes over the reins again at end of season.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Paully D wrote: »

Shame.

I could be completely wrong here but I think he closes his account at exam time? Think he did it before.

Hopefully it's not a long term absence.

Can't reopen a closed account though...or can you?!

You cannot

You just start again :)

Wade Philips interviewing for the Dolphins next week!

Can see the Texans taking a few backward steps next year if that happens!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

kmart6 wrote: »
    Wade Philips interviewing for the Dolphins next week!

Can see the Texans taking a few backward steps next year if that happens!

Bad choice, if he sticks with Houston he'll win a ring as assistant coach, really talented young team

Wade Philips also linked to the Bucs and will interview there

Hmmm I meant to write Bucs earlier...no idea why I wrote Dolphins...brain fart!

Can't see Houston winning a SB any time soon!

• Advertisement

kmart6 wrote: »
    Hmmm I meant to write Bucs earlier...no idea why I wrote Dolphins...brain fart!

Can't see Houston winning a SB any time soon!

I certainly can. Their defense has been put in sterling order, their run game is almost injury proof and if Schuab/Leinhart get a bit of luck next year as well as getting more games out of Mario Williams and Andre Johnson - and being in a division where they'll easily be the best team talent-wise next season - they'll be there or there abouts next year too. There's alot of correlation between the Texans and the Saints before 2009 in my eyes and finally breaking through the glass ceiling this year should be exactly what they need to reach a new level.

Just look at how they're rolled with the punches this year. I don't think an AFC championship appearance is beyond them this season either, especially if Joe Flacco has another bad day.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement