Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Funny; humans, for example:

I work with a few other sports fans we talk about football(soccer), golf, they talk about rugby, some even cricket. I was the only NFL fan. I recently got one my workmates into the NFL(now a Bronco's fan) by talking about it to him loads and rubbing off my enthusiasm for the sport, he got genuinely interested and took notice and watched games and read up on it etc.. we've talked loads every Monday for awhile about the weekends games and on lunches etc etc..

Well all of a sudden this morning we suddenly have a 3rd NFL 'fan'. He's walking around talking about 'How great was that game last night?' 'The Giants are my team, did you see that?' I enquire 'Whaaat? Where? Since When?' He replies 'Been following them for years!'

No you have not! We spoke last week about the playoffs and you didnt even know the QB's name!! BANDWAGONER!! Grrr!

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Concannon7

Guys is there any good podcasts on the NFL or American Football in general out there? Any good ones you would recommend. Just something I can listen to when walking the dog! Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

ESPN Football Today, it's superb

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/podcast/archive?id=2544457
    Link there or I'd say most get it through itunes

Comes out a little before six pm

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

mikemac1 wrote: »
    ESPN Football Today, it's superb

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/podcast/archive?id=2544457
    Link there or I'd say most get it through itunes

Comes out a little before six pm

Love that ESPN do their daily podcasts in the morning, it means us mere GMTers can still listen to the podcast on release day.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Guys is there any good podcasts on the NFL or American Football in general out there? Any good ones you would recommend. Just something I can listen to when walking the dog! Thanks.

The coaches show is very good and the NFL just launched a draft 2012 one which is very good.

• Advertisement

Interesting article on the Chiefs and their GM Scott Pioli
    http://www.kansascity.com/2012/01/14/3371495/arrowhead-anxiety-turnover-off.html
    Some of the first changes involved shutting off access and protecting information.

Non-football employees, including those who had worked for the Chiefs for decades, were told that they weren’t allowed on certain floors, or in certain areas of the team facility.

Business-side staffers with an office window facing the practice fields were made to keep their shades drawn during practices. The team president was no exception. A security guard made the rounds during practices, sometimes interrupting phone calls and meetings to lower shades.

I don't know if this goes on in New England where he came from
    Now I can understand security and I understand shutting down the possibility of leaks to the media.

Just thought it was interesting, even the team president gets involved

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Interesting article on the Chiefs and their GM Scott Pioli
    http://www.kansascity.com/2012/01/14/3371495/arrowhead-anxiety-turnover-off.html

I don't know if this goes on in New England where he came from
    Now I can understand security and I understand shutting down the possibility of leaks to the media.

Just thought it was interesting, even the team president gets involved

Saw that on Orangemane, seems to be a bit of a control freak alright to say the least

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Not to mention the lack of trust among the organisation and the amount of resentment it must drum up.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Caldwell has just been released by the Colts!

So now the search begins for a coach, and I don't think there's anybody out there I'd want at the minute!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,369 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

kmart6 wrote: »

So now the search begins for a coach, and I don't think there's anybody out there I'd want at the minute!
    cowherscowl.jpg

• Advertisement

Hmmm I suppose Cowher wouldn't be too bad! Might get something out of our D!

Watching the Press Conference announcing it now and Grigson is a terrible speaker, keeps banging on a about how he wanted to get to go Caldwell and the stereotypical 'hes a great Coach' line has been said around 10 times!

kmart6 wrote: »

Jon Gruden. Just so i don't have to listen to him on ESPN anymore

Oh no...ya can piss off with that one...ESPN can keep him!!

Mike Martz has retired from coaching.

Somewhat surprising move imo

Announcement coming tomorrow on the International Series, 4 teams I've been hearing rumored so far: Jags, Pats, Eagles and Rams

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭McG

Announcement coming tomorrow on the International Series, 4 teams I've been hearing rumored so far: Jags, Pats, Eagles and Rams

at least it can't be Jags v Rams

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

So if it is any of those 4 teams it will be:

Pats @ Rams
    or
    Pats @ Jags
    or
    Rams @ Jets
    or
    Jets @ Jags

it 100% wont be Jet @ Pats or Pats @ Jets.

I can see it being Jets and Jags.

could we see Pats @ Jags and Jets @ Rams maybe?

Ravens owner Steve Bisciotti was lobbying to get selected

Ravens are a small market team and dominated with near neighbours Philadelphia and Washington and Pittsburgh regarding fanbases
    So the owner and the team president want to get a profile

Thing is though Baltimore always sell out their stadium so I would think the home team for Wembley would be a struggling team

Oh the marketing teams would go into overdrive

Here's some Ravens defense
    800px-Two_ravens_and_the_Tower_of_London.JPG

could we see Pats @ Jags and Jets @ Rams maybe?

Jets play Rams at home and not in St Louis.

• Advertisement

Nah you are right I got their opponents from here:

http://www.thepigskinreport.com/2012/01/2012-nfl-schedule-new-york-jets/

Cared less to actually see If I could find it elsewhere as it is the Jets :D

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭barbarians

Only released less than an hour ago so your the first one with it! NFL really create some great videos!

Jerome Simpson is fooked:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/bengals/story/2012-01-19/simpson-indictment/52676660/1
    COVINGTON, Ky. – Four months after marijuana was delivered to Jerome Simpson's home, the Bengals wide receiver was indicted on a drug charge Thursday in Kenton County.

Bengals WR Jerome Simpson caught 50 passes for 725 yards and four TDs in 2011.

Simpson was indicted on one count of trafficking marijuana in excess of eight ounces. An arraignment date in Kenton Circuit Court was not immediately set. The charge is punishable by one to five years in prison.

Federal authorities swooped on his Crestview Hills townhouse in September and seized a package containing 2.5 pounds of California marijuana being shipped to the residence. Inside the home investigators found about six more pounds of marijuana, scales and smoking devices.

A path leading to Simpson's residence began Sept. 19, a California law enforcement official told the Enquirer shortly after the raid.

A narcotics unit devoted to detecting and tracking suspected marijuana shipments flagged a package, which originated in Eureka, Calif., at a Sacramento shipping center. California authorities then alerted Kentucky law enforcement agents about the package, and they kept an eye on it while it was delivered, according to authorities.

When the packaged arrived at Simpson's town home in the 2700 block of Mansion Place, Simpson's 27-year-old acquaintance, Aleen Smith, accepted it from the delivery man, according to authorities. Simpson was briefly detained and gave investigators permission to search his home. That's when the additional marijuana and scales were found.

Offensive tackle Anthony Collins was at the home when the package was delivered but was not indicted on Thursday. Bengals coach Martin Lewis has said the 26-year-old Texas native was not the subject of the investigation and that the player appeared to be at the wrong place at the wrong time.

Simpson gained national attention in December with his 19-yard catch-and-run for a touchdown against Arizona that included a somersault flip over Cardinals linebacker Daryl Washington from the 2-yard line into the end zone. The North Carolina native just completed his fourth year with the Bengals. He was drafted in the second round in 2008 and emerged as one of the team's starting wide receivers. Simpson attended Coastal Carolina for college.

This is the second Bengal this week to be the subject of court proceedings. Adam "Pacman" Jones pleaded guilty Wednesday in Hamilton County Municipal Court to one count of resisting arrest. The 28-year-old West Virginia native was sentenced to one year of probation, a $250 fine, 50 hours of community service and ordered to stay out of the Scene Ultra nightclub. When police officers arrived, Jones cursed at police.

Trouble started for Jones after an argument broke out July 10 at the nightclub in the 600 block of Walnut Street Downtown. When they tried to handcuff him, he waved his arms and tensed his muscles to try to prevent that.

In fairness he was lucky he got to play out the season and get a wage!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Former NFL wide receiver Terrell Owens announced on Twitter on Wednesday night that he's going to play and become co-owner for the Allen Wranglers of the Indoor Football League.

"It's official, it just went down, I'm headed back to Dallas," Owens said in a 22-second video posted on his Twitter account. "That's right, IFL, here I come. Allen, Texas, here I come. I'm going to be me."

Wranglers co-owner Jon Frankel said Owens agreed to terms Wednesday night and that he was in talks with the former Dallas Cowboys player for several weeks.

Owens visited Dallas last week.

"He's a great player, a winner, and I'm a big fan," Frankel said. "I want to make the Allen Wranglers the No. 1 attraction in Collin County."

The Wranglers play in Allen, Texas, a suburb roughly a half-hour north of Dallas. Frankel said Owens will play in all the home games, and it hasn't been decided whether he'll play in road games. The Wranglers' season starts Feb. 25 at home against Wichita.

The IFL is a 16-team league consisting of teams from various states, including franchises in Green Bay, Sioux Falls, Chicago, New Mexico, Wyoming and Nebraska.

Owens' agent, Drew Rosenhaus, didn't return a call seeking comment.

"[Owens] has an ownership stake," Frankel said. "This is a business decision. I'm glad everybody looks at the players' aspects. I can't believe T.O. will come out of that tunnel for the Allen Wranglers."

Owens
    Frankel said he would like to schedule a news conference at the Allen Events Center late next week. The news conference would be open to the public.

A third-round pick by the San Francisco 49ers in the 1996 NFL draft, Owens played for five teams duirng a 15-year career. He's second all-time in receiving yards (15,934), fourth in touchdowns (156) and sixth in catches (1,078).

Owens last played with the Cincinnati Bengals in 2010, catching 72 passes for 983 yards and nine touchdowns. Owens underwent surgery to repair a torn ACL suffered in 2011.

After recovering from the injury, he held a workout for NFL teams this fall. No NFL team showed up, but the tapes of the workout were made available. Owens didn't get a contract offer from a team and was hoping he would get picked up late in the 2011 season.

But it didn't happen, and it's prompted him to move toward a minor league football team. The Wranglers' general manager is former Cowboys great Drew Pearson, who also met with Owens in the past few weeks in an attempt to sign him.

Good to know hes actually doing something :) Especially considering some of the stories that had been circulating regarding his personal life.

That's what happens when you need money!

Thats awesome I know a few guys playing in that league. They don't make a lot of money though. good thing Owens went into owning the team as he would have made fook all as a player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,887 ✭✭✭deisedude

Jerome Simpson is fooked:

Aside from his touchdown flip and the odd acrobatic catch he hasn't been great. Too many dropped passes and runs poor routes. Most Bengals fans won't be too disappointed to see him go. He is a free agent anyway.

Jordan Shipley will be back as slot receiver and was showing good promise up until he got injured. Still this Simpson news may mean a rethink come to the draft. Another elite wide receiver prospect to take some of the burden off AJ Green please!

Speaking of Bengal jail birds Cedric Benson may not return to Cincy next year either going on reports

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement