Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭RGIII

https://twitter.com/#!/bradyfan590/status/160032739020636160
    Multiple sources telling me St. Louis Rams will host game at Wembley Stadium this fall against AFC East opponent. Either Patriots or Jets.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Have any of you watched this? Run Ricky Run from ESPN's 30 for 30.

A description here:
    Ricky Williams does not conform to America's definition of the modern athlete. In 2004, with rumors of another positive marijuana test looming, the Miami Dolphins running back traded adulation and a mansion in South Florida for anonymity and a $7 a night tent in Australia. His decision created a media frenzy that dismantled his reputation and branded him as America's Pothead. But while most in the media thought Williams was ruining his life by leaving football, Ricky thought he was saving it. Through personal footage recorded with Williams during his time away from football and beyond, filmmaker Sean Pamphilon takes a fresh look at a player who had become a media punching bag and has since redeemed himself as a father and a teammate.

Very interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Yeah great watch! Nearly all those 30 For 30's are brilliant!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

One of the best documentaries around. As kmart says all that '30 for 30' series is brilliant. Think there's a thread on this forum somewhere about them.

Run Ricky Run, is probably the best NFL/football related one followed by 'The U' and 'The Best There Never Was'.

Non football related - 'The Fab Five', 'June 17, 1994' and 'Unguarded' are personal favourites.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

I love the one about the two basketball players from eastern europe, I think its called once brothers, its heartbreaking but brilliant at the same time !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

One of the best documentaries around. As kmart says all that '30 for 30' series is brilliant. Think there's a thread on this forum somewhere about them.

Run Ricky Run, is probably the best NFL/football related one followed by 'The U' and 'The Best There Never Was'.

Non football related - 'The Fab Five', 'June 17, 1994' and 'Unguarded' are personal favourites.

if you like fantasy sports Silly Little Game is good and I quite liked Small Potatoes: Who Killed the USFL? as well.

Yeah watched 'Fab Five' again today....cocky fcukers the lot of them...but it worked...well kinda!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

God a lot of them would break your heart.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Have you watched Without Bias and the Guru of Go?

Jaysus they're both very sad...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I loved ... "Winning Time: Reggie Miller vs. The New York Knicks " Really great and of course "The U" the best of the football ones I think.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Best one "The Band that wouldn't die"

Shows the Colts leaving Baltimore

Lot of bitterness over what happened, most of it gone at this stage as Baltimore embraced the Ravens
    Should have left the Colts name in the city though

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭UCD AFC

Catching Hell is my fave, about a fan who interfered with a foul ball, stopping his team from catching it (possibly)....it escalates from there

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭DBIreland

Can the entire 30 for 30 series be bought in Ireland?
    I had a quick look online and it appears to be only available via region 1 imports.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

DBIreland wrote: »
    Can the entire 30 for 30 series be bought in Ireland?
    I had a quick look online and it appears to be only available via region 1 imports.

pretty much any dvd player can be decoded to be region free. look it up online, plenty of websites with free codes to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭DBIreland

OK, have just ordered the entire 30 for 30 series based purely on this thread...

Shoulda saved your money and got it online!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Anyone else getting annoyed at how the soccer forum are treating American Football ? If I see them compare fantasy premier league to fantasy nfl one more time my head will explode !

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Cutler has got that hot reality bird up the duff, wonder when they'll get married and then divorced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Talk about being bitter:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/01/23/ravens-ayanbadejo-says-he-wont-watch-unsuper-bowl/
    Ravens’ Ayanbadejo say he won’t watch “unSuper Bowl”
    Posted by Mike Florio on January 23, 2012, 10:02 AM EST

With all sorts of allegations and smack and excuses landing on Twitter in the wake of the conference title games, Ravens linebacker Brendan Ayanbadejo has chimed in. Specifically, he says he won’t be watching the upcoming game between the Giants and Patriots.

“Truth being told I am not sure I’m going to watch the unSuper Bowl since the two best teams are sitting at home #ravens #49ers,” Ayanbadejo said.

We re-tweeted the message to our 200,000-plus followers (you can easily become one, too), after the Ravens had re-tweeted it. And that may be the more significant development.

It’s one thing for a player to chew on sour grapes. It’s quite another for his team to essentially endorse that viewpoint via the “RT” function on Twitter.

The reaction to our re-tweet has been fairly strong. For the many of you who don’t, won’t, and never will use Twitter, you can sound off in the comments.

The comments under it crack me up also. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

The comments under it crack me up also. :D

My fav, has to be an Irish person:
    elementaleffect says:
    Jan 23, 2012 10:36 AM
    Tough titties. Get over it

This pmsl:
    xpensivewinos says:
    Jan 23, 2012 10:24 AM
    Rex Ryan is salivating, praying this delusional loser is a free agent so he can sign him. Just his kinda guy. You fail in front of the whole world and then talk like it never happened.

Meanwhile on earth, the winners are doing exactly what Sean Connery told Nicolas Cage they do in “The Rock.”

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Blured

Interesting article on the Colts big decision over Manning

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Peyton-Predicament-Part-1.html

Didnt realised we would have the answer so soon - at most a few weeks after the Superbowl

Hazys wrote: »
    Imagine they cut him for the Superbowl....it'd be cruel but I'd have to laugh!

Blured wrote: »
    Interesting article on the Colts big decision over Manning

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Peyton-Predicament-Part-1.html

Didnt realised we would have the answer so soon - at most a few weeks after the Superbowl
    That article really only states what is already known! Nothing new in it!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Stupid comment by Ayanbadejo but he's still a very good player when he has to fill in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

kmart6 wrote: »
    Imagine they cut him for the Superbowl....it'd be cruel but I'd have to laugh!

He isn't on the roster at the mo, he's on the practise squad so they'd have to promote him to cut him, unlikely but the way things have gone for him this season...you never know.

His brother, Ray played in the Superbowl 4 years ago. I mostly remember him for being on the last Pats kickoff coverage of the game and anhilating the Giants returner before the 20. i thought that set the tone to stop the Giants next drive...nope Giants had nearly a 90yrd drive and a miracle catch to win the game :mad:

Hazys wrote: »
    He isn't on the roster at the mo, he's on the practise squad so they'd have to promote him to cut him, unlikely but the way things have gone for him this season...you never know.

His brother, Ray played in the Superbowl 4 years ago. I mostly remember him for being on the last Pats kickoff coverage of the game and anhilating the Giants returner before the 20. i thought that set the tone to stop the Giants next drive...nope Giants had nearly a 90yrd drive and a miracle catch to win the game :mad:
    Well if they win hopefully he'll get a ring, not sure what the Patriots policy on that is!

Well see that's why BB doesn't like Ross, if his brother had just hit him a bit harder he coulda forced the fumble and the Pats woulda won the Superbowl! :P

Love Jared Allen in this....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

kmart6 wrote: »
    That article really only states what is already known! Nothing new in it!

I'd say this article, posted in the Indystar the other night, is a lot more telling as to where Manning stands.

http://www.indystar.com/article/20120124/SPORTS15/120124015/?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|IndyStar.com|p

It's actually upset me to read. I think he knows his days are numbered, and the axe is going to fall at given time, with little or no notice. So sad. Such a ****ty end to an era.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

I've read that piece on Manning and makes me disappointed and sad. From 2007 when I started watching NFL he's been one of the first players I was in awe with. A guy I think epitomises what I love about any sport; commitment, attitude, humble, smart, apttitude and the obvious talent.

Im not psychologist but it looks like he's weighing his options, coming to resolutions and some of the phrases are striking as said in the article he's an active participant in his own life and well aware what is going on around him.
    “But I understand how it works. I understand tough decisions have to be made. There’s personal and there’s business and that’s where we’ve got to separate the two. I’ve seen other guys leave places and it was personal. I’ve invested too much into this city for that to happen. We live here, we’ve given lots of time and money to the community and our church, and that’s never going to change. Nothing changes that.”

I hope he doesn't retire really I do. I would feel sorry for Colts fans to see him leave for another team. But football moves on, life moves on and that legacy can never be touched. "Thats never going to change. Nothing changes that."

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement