Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

To me it seems kinda obvious that he won't be with the Colts next year. He wasn't happy with the change in GM etc and I think hes just really unhappy with the atmosphere around the place. Could be a draft day trade.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

For the Colts to get back to being a Play Off contender they need to trade Manning. I know that sounds completely mad since we all agree for the Colts to get into the playoffs they need Manning! But they really need to bring in quality players and Manning will give them a Kings Ransom in draft picks and players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Manning won't be traded. He'll be released. Think it's March they decide whether to pay him $28m bonus owed.

If he's released they get nothing. If they successfully trade him they don't incur his 28 million pay check is that right? So it's more of a question on whether a team has enough cap room to fit him.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Stev_o wrote: »
    For the Colts to get back to being a Play Off contender they need to trade Manning. I know that sounds completely mad since we all agree for the Colts to get into the playoffs they need Manning! But they really need to bring in quality players and Manning will give them a Kings Ransom in draft picks and players.

Not if he's health is still questionable, in the current situation I can't see teams giving up much for him at all.

• Advertisement

adrian522 wrote: »
    Not if he's health is still questionable, in the current situation I can't see teams giving up much for him at all.

You'd be surprised. Sure Carson Palmer was traded for a 1st round pick and more after not being near a football for months at the age of 32. Mannings name will carry the value.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I think it's 99.9% certain that he won't be there next season.

The Manning article to me, sounds like a man who is absolutely sick about what has happened (terrible season in which he was left helpless on the sidelines through injury, all the changes that have come about in the organisation) and although it will be very emotional having to leave a place he's played at for 13 seasons, I think he somewhere deep down will be glad of the change as the organisation will be almost completely different to what he's become accustomed to.

Where could we realistically see him next season?

The Jets seem like a good option for him as they actually have a half decent team on paper, but as was pointed out to me before Sanchez is on a huge contract so something would have to be done there. I don't know if he'd want to play for such a boisterous organisation though.

The Dolphins owner has said he is ''looking for a franchise QB'', but with their new HC having worked with Flynn before he will know the type of system he plays already so could be a much cheaper than Manning but still very good option for them.

How about the Seahawks? They do need a QB but I guess they'd like someone younger and cheaper too as they seem to be building a youthful team and would probably look at Flynn also. It'd be very hard to see them pulling off a signing like Manning and will probably look to do something in the draft regarding the QB position.

Washington love a big free agent signing and need a franchise QB to kick the organisation back into life. They do play in the same division as Eli though, don't they? They have very, very poor receivers though so he'd probably have nothing to hit.

The Chiefs have a lot of cap money to spend and could give him a top dollar contract. I've read that Peyton has some friends on the roster, and likes their GM.

As a big Tebow fan, dare I suggest the Broncos? Lots of cap space, he'd get a lot of time in the pocket when playing for them, their HC is defensive minded so would probably let Peyton control the offense which I'm sure he'd want to do having done it for years at the Colts.

I guess he nor the Colts will want him anywhere near their division, and lets be honest, he's surely going to want a top dollar contract.

Above is just some options anyway. If I was to pick one I'd say the Broncos would actually be the best fit, but it'd be very hard to see them ditching Tebow after what happened this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,743 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Stev_o wrote: »
    If he's released they get nothing. If they successfully trade him they don't incur his 28 million pay check is that right? So it's more of a question on whether a team has enough cap room to fit him.

The money is due before the football season starts so they can't trade him before the money is due. If they want to trade him, they HAVE to pay. The only way of not paying him, is releasing him. If they keep him to trade him, they will take a massive cap hit in 2012 and 2013 (around 40million and 30million afaik).

They either stick with him and trade away Luck, or they release him and they get nothing for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

There no chance he is traded. His cap hit is massive. He'll be released or else retire. The hunt for him will be very interesting though if he doesn't retire.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭fox65

Mannings contract is 90mil over 5 years from july 11. They have already paid him 20 odd, in march they fork over another 20 odd. So after this point its 50 mil over 4 years.

This isnt a massive hit. If colts keep him, pay the march bonus, his contract is managable. His trade stock goes up even more. In effect the colts will pay to get draft picks. I see a trade happening

• Advertisement

fox65 wrote: »
    Mannings contract is 90mil over 5 years from july 11. They have already paid him 20 odd, in march they fork over another 20 odd. So after this point its 50 mil over 4 years.

This isnt a massive hit. If colts keep him, pay the march bonus, his contract is managable. His trade stock goes up even more. In effect the colts will pay to get draft picks. I see a trade happening

Pay $28m for draft picks? Unlikely, especially when they won't be a lot of value for him. Maybe a 1st rounder at most. I also think paying $12m a year is alot for not having a player.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,743 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Pay $28m for draft picks? Unlikely, especially when they won't be a lot of value for him. Maybe a 1st rounder at most. I also think paying $12m a year is alot for not having a player.

why would you think 'maybe a 1st rounder at most'? I'd be expecting a trade value way over what was dealt for Carsten Palmer.

If he is fit, he is as elite a QB as you could get. If a team can't get Luck or RGIII, a future franchise QB, who better could be got?

why would you think 'maybe a 1st rounder at most'? I'd be expecting a trade value way over what was dealt for Carsten Palmer.

If he is fit, he is as elite a QB as you could get. If a team can't get Luck or RGIII, a future franchise QB, who better could be got?

Palmer was a desperate trade done by someone who was a rookie HC who had no experiene as a GM or negotiating and new he had to win to keep his job. Not only that but he is 4 years younger so you're getting more value long term. You won't get better QB but how many teams would give up multiple high picks for a probable 2 year QB? Chiefs, Cards, Redskins and Seahawks are probably the only like ones. I also think the Redskins are unlikely as Shannahan doesn't seem like the guy to hitch himself to a 2 year QB in a desperate attempt to win now.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I also think the Redskins are unlikely as Shannahan doesn't seem like the guy to hitch himself to a 2 year QB in a desperate attempt to win now.

Snyder does though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Those days are over

Snyder doesn't go for high priced wasters anymore
    Edit, not saying Manning is a waster, just a lot of the big signings in Washington have failed

It's a new regime in Washington and they used twelve draft picks during the last draft

Paully D wrote: »
    Snyder does though.

Shannahan has full control over everything in Washington. If Synder wants Manning he'll be looking for a new HC to go with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Shannahan has full control over everything in Washington. If Synder wants Manning he'll be looking for a new HC to go with it.

I don't see why this would be the case. Manning, as someone said, will be released, so the Redskins can probably pick him up relatively cheaply. Why not make a 2 or 3 year deal, with nothing to lose?

Let's be honest, Manning doesn't seem the type to risk his future health for a pay-packet. I think his return would depend on him being able to perform at close to his best. As far as professional athletes go, he's as mature and pragmatic as they come, so if he comes back*, he'll be an absolute steal for a team.

IMO if he doesn't retire, he'll have his pick of teams (would love to see him in Seattle -- he'd be playing a few hours drive from my front door :)). Either way, I'll always watch out for him, and hope he succeeds wherever he does go.

*And I find it hard to believe he's putting all this work in at the gym, watching the team he built collapse around him, if he weren't confident of getting healthy.

That discussion was based on Manning being traded. If he's released a lot of teams will be interested I think. However we were talking about if Manning was traded and would he get more picks then the Palmer trade and what teams would be interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

These really show's the class of the individual....

The colts are in rebuilding. The same phrase comes up with regards the new GM of the colts. to get the salary cap under control. This suggests that , they might / probably will lose some vets.

Their salary cap for next year will take the imediate hit if they do clean house.

The question is the CBA, there is a salary floor build in. this ensures there has to be a minimum team salary. But i'm not sure when it kicks in. If it kicks in this season. Taking the 28$mil hit might be needed to come in complience with league rules.

Does any one know when this salary floor starts?

• Advertisement

That discussion was based on Manning being traded. If he's released a lot of teams will be interested I think. However we were talking about if Manning was traded and would he get more picks then the Palmer trade and what teams would be interested.

The jets have some talent. They make the postseason often but it seems that sanchez cant push them over the edge.

Chiefs maybe but its a new coach. Also Cassel is Piolos man from Pats. With dolphins signing green bays oc. They might look at flynn first.

What do people think will happen kolb in Arizona?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭neilster

davyjose wrote: »
    I'd say this article, posted in the Indystar the other night, is a lot more telling as to where Manning stands.

http://www.indystar.com/article/20120124/SPORTS15/120124015/?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|IndyStar.com|p

It's actually upset me to read. I think he knows his days are numbered, and the axe is going to fall at given time, with little or no notice. So sad. Such a ****ty end to an era.

Good article Davy as someone on si.com described it does seem like one side of a divorce battle giving an interview searching for the hearts and minds of the family and friends before the inevitable split occurs

In this case the hearts and minds are the fans and populace of Indianapolis. i think Peyton knows what will occur in March

here are two great articles from NFPost discussing if a) the Colts pay Manning his $28m option and move forward and the resultant scenarios and b) dont exercise the option

It does seem that Tom Condon & Manning and the design of the 2011 contract fenced the Colts in and if you go on that basis that securing Andrew Luck safeguards a franchise for close to a decade whilst peyton safeguards it more in the short-term and that you cant pay the Qback position $50 in 2012 , Manning will be cut ...as they say in the article the biggest "if" is will Manning be healthy on March 28th

Here are the articles

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Peyton-Predicament-Part-1.html

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=nfp-20120126_peyton_predicament_part_2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭neilster

davyjose wrote: »
    I don't see why this would be the case. Manning, as someone said, will be released, so the Redskins can probably pick him up relatively cheaply. Why not make a 2 or 3 year deal, with nothing to lose?

Let's be honest, Manning doesn't seem the type to risk his future health for a pay-packet. I think his return would depend on him being able to perform at close to his best. As far as professional athletes go, he's as mature and pragmatic as they come, so if he comes back*, he'll be an absolute steal for a team.

IMO if he doesn't retire, he'll have his pick of teams (would love to see him in Seattle -- he'd be playing a few hours drive from my front door :)). Either way, I'll always watch out for him, and hope he succeeds wherever he does go.

*And I find it hard to believe he's putting all this work in at the gym, watching the team he built collapse around him, if he weren't confident of getting healthy.

again excerpts from that article:

Free agent like no other

Assuming Manning is healthy – and that may be the biggest “if” of this entire discussion – he may be the most attractive free agent in the history of football. Simply, elite quarterbacks such as Peyton Manning never hit the open market; this is why such ransoms are paid in trades for quarterbacks such as Jay Cutler and Carson Palmer.

also this seems the agents advice as Andrew Brandt is an agent

Reading between the lines from interviews, tweets and perhaps conversations with confidante Rob Lowe, my sense is that what Irsay truly wants is for Manning to retire. He does not want to cut or trade Peyton Manning. Thus, that leaves two options: (1) going forward with the financial and organizational commitment to a player that may be compromised physically, or (2) having Manning retire, certainly with some continuing role on the team.

The problem for Irsay is that Manning – despite no immediate assurances from the medical side – wants to play.

What I would do

As hard as it is to part with the face of the franchise, I would move on.

The confluence of three factors – (1) a massive financial commitment required — $35.4 million in 2012 alone, (2) an uncertain neck condition involving regeneration of nerves (this is not a shoulder or knee injury), and (3) a special player in Luck, available for half the price at the same position – all conspire towards a parting of ways.

Like the Packers and Brett Favre, the Colts would prefer a nice, easy retirement from their longtime superstar, with a non-playing role with the team to come. Sometimes, however, the script does not have a clean and tidy ending. There are factors to this negotiation that are beyond the parameters of the contract or any negotiations. This could get messy. The public relations spinning has begun and emotions will run high.

March 8th beckons, with the eyes of the football world upon it.

As a released player rather than an unrestricted free agent whose contract has expired, the Colts can neither (1) place the Franchise tag on Manning, nor (2) receive a 2013 compensatory draft pick if Manning signs elsewhere.

Again, it is curious why the Colts would agree to this poorly timed option clause, but Manning used his leverage to create options for himself.

so it does appear Manning through his leverage has left a situation where if healthy he gets released as a free agent and gets to pick his team . And the article goes on to explain it will have to be a competitive team as he gets to pick the team and that would mean one with a reasonable Back up QB plan like Seattle TJack, Miami and MMoore.

Manning may view Washington as already competitive on the defensive side of the ball . As Seattle in a similar position and Denver but others are sure to appear good

A playoff team in Denver is certainly possible . The sense of old-school values and continuity would negate Baltimore & Flacco but is his (Flacco) hold on the job that secure (his championship game performance was an upgrade on before notwithstanding) which brings us to the two most likely Arizona & the 49ers. I for one dont see the Jets making the move ... i think RRyan will try and resurrect Sanchez before discarding him

I think Kolbs hold on his job is very tenuous...they had a bad line with the worst LT in the league but Kolb was atrocious and the availability of Matt Flynn will surely test that job security but a fit-again Manning is a no-brainer but would Arizona's ability to win be good enough for Peyton?

Which brings us to SanFran ...they are already good enough with an elite defence ....they need an elite reciever but they have just been to the Championship Game . They have a respected coach ...good with quarterbacks , surely it would tick all the boxes for Manning so now can he be fit to hold up his end !!!!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

I really think his days are numbered with the colts. Irsay is not at all happy with the way hes been acting.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7507255/indianapolis-colts-jim-irsay-upset-peyton-manning-manning-went-public-comments

The interview Peyton gave will have no bearing point on whether he stays or not...it's all going to come down to his health!

kmart6 wrote: »
    The interview Peyton gave will have no bearing point on whether he stays or not...it's all going to come down to his health!

Healthy or not Manning won't be staying with the Colts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Anyone else see this? Taiwanese Super Bowl Preview:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭Justin10

I said it weeks ago, Manning wants out of the colts.
    He is finished with them.

Rochey18 wrote: »
    I said it weeks ago, Manning wants out of the colts.
    He is finished with them.
    No, Manning wants to be able to play football first, preferable with the Colts!

• Advertisement

Joint statement from Irsay and Manning:
    “We would like to dispel any misperception that there might be any hard feelings between us,” the statement reads, ignoring the fact that the perception arose from their own words — and their compulsion to respond to each other’s words. “Since 1998, we have enjoyed a great relationship, based upon mutual respect and trust. We have always been able to talk and address matters we’ve faced over the years, not just as owner and player, but as friends. We had a long talk today and we want to assure Colts fans everywhere that we are both committed to maintaining our close relationship and to working together through any challenges the future may bring.”

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement