Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭neilster

I really think his days are numbered with the colts. Irsay is not at all happy with the way hes been acting.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7507255/indianapolis-colts-jim-irsay-upset-peyton-manning-manning-went-public-comments[/QUOTE]

To be fair what got this whole ball rolling and out in the public was Rob Lowes comments that Peyton was retiring ....and i think we all realise that Irsay said this ...wishes it happens and imparted this to Lowe ...and then for Lowe to say it is another highly placed source within the Colts is disingenuous....the Colts coming out publicly if indirectly about a retirement forced Manning into assuming a position where he felt he had to go public and we are now where we are

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Fcuking hell...times like this I wish I had a car over here! Ochocinco wanted to be driven to dinner so basically whoever collected him got taken...random but woulda been pretty cool!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

kmart6 wrote: »
    Fcuking hell...times like this I wish I had a car over here! Ochocinco wanted to be driven to dinner so basically whoever collected him got taken...random but woulda been pretty cool!

Ocho is being a bit wild with his money this week. He bought 70 pairs of Dre Beats to give to his teammates on the flight to Indy. Thats a damn expensive gift.

Ocho is being a bit wild with his money this week. He bought 70 pairs of Dre Beats to give to his teammates on the flight to Indy. Thats a damn expensive gift.
    Already in the Superbowl thread ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Depends. If it's a back-hand endorsement of some sort (compared with the cost of the coverage it got in adverts, it'd be quite cost-effective for the company) then he may not have had to pay a penny, not that Ocho hasn't enough bank to buy the entire NFL a set of expensive headphones.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

I wonder if they respect him now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

davyjose wrote: »

Who said they didn't respect him? Everything I've heard out of Patriots camp has been nothing but complementary on Ocho, especially with regards his professionalism - unfortunately it was always gonna be difficult for Ocho to fit into a Belichick system due to the type of player he is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

There was never any suggestion that Pats player never respected Ocho. For a guy who was always saying stupid things about the Bengals and his team mates he hasn't said one bad thing about the Pats or the players publicily and in fact when he is interviewed even with the lack of snaps he says good things and as do most Pats players when they get asked about Ocho.

Syferus wrote: »
    Depends. If it's a back-hand endorsement of some sort (compared with the cost of the coverage it got in adverts, it'd be quite cost-effective for the company) then he may not have had to pay a penny, not that Ocho hasn't enough bank to buy the entire NFL a set of expensive headphone.
    Beats don't need that kind of endorsement...they're huge already!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

kmart6 wrote: »
    Beats don't need that kind of endorsement...they're huge already!

Clearly they needed Dr. Dre's! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

There was never any suggestion that Pats player never respected Ocho. For a guy who was always saying stupid things about the Bengals and his team mates he hasn't said one bad thing about the Pats or the players publicily and in fact when he is interviewed even with the lack of snaps he says good things and as do most Pats players when they get asked about Ocho.
    Who said they didn't respect him? Everything I've heard out of Patriots camp has been nothing but complementary on Ocho, especially with regards his professionalism - unfortunately it was always gonna be difficult for Ocho to fit into a Belichick system due to the type of player he is.

Jesus lads, that's great to know. Thanks for the info.

Jesus lads, that's great to know. Thanks for the info.

Ah for fooks sake typical of how this forum has gone. You made the statement people respond to your statement and then you give a smart arse reply to it. :rolleyes: If you didn't want a response why bother posting in the first place? Daft at best.

Was thinking this morning about the pro bowl. I turned off after the first series. Its an absolute snoozefest with no effort being put in. Its just comical to watch the o line and d line touching each other putting in no effort.

How about instead there was a game between the 2 worst teams in the league for the no.1 overall pick. It gives us a meaningful game and solves the notion of a team tanking on purpose for the no.1 pick.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

One things I see on forums that annoy me along with Grammer Nazi's and Smart@sses is posting during live events.

Rather than watching, looking at the game and enjoying it there will be people posting here. Its a live sport dont be sitting on your computer trying to look like your the first one to see a TD or a FG, your not. Your not an announcer and your more likely to miss out on a play. Debate after the match when the full consequences of any 'controversial' holding or PI penalty is known to full. Enjoy the game in the moment, soak it in, watch everything, try understand whats going on at any give moment. Then come on here the next day and discuss the finer details.

Its just a pet grievance I have and its the same when I see people discussing a match on FB thats happening. I realise its sounds pretentious but it leads me to believe that people are not even watching sport anymore for the actual game/sport and more for the highlight moments and controversial outside things.

/rant over! (maybe I should be post it in the Soccer Forum)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

not the biggest fan of it myself, but at the same time, you can get away with it in American football as you could have a minute between a kick return and the offence starting, or when a time out is called etc. Doesnt really bother me too much either way though!

I don't mind guys saying a play was awesome but I cannot stand when people post something a commentator has just said to try and sound knowlegable, happens a good bit when a questionable play happens.

I don't mind guys saying a play was awesome but I cannot stand when people post something a commentator has just said to try and sound knowlegable, happens a good bit when a questionable play happens.

I hate people quoting something stupid one of the Sky or C4 guys say and taking it as fact!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Was thinking this morning about the pro bowl. I turned off after the first series. Its an absolute snoozefest with no effort being put in. Its just comical to watch the o line and d line touching each other putting in no effort.

How about instead there was a game between the 2 worst teams in the league for the no.1 overall pick. It gives us a meaningful game and solves the notion of a team tanking on purpose for the no.1 pick.

so then the worst team wouldn't get 1st pick? that doesn't seem fair...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

One things I see on forums that annoy me along with Grammer Nazi's and Smart@sses is posting during live events.

Rather than watching, looking at the game and enjoying it there will be people posting here. Its a live sport dont be sitting on your computer trying to look like your the first one to see a TD or a FG, your not. Your not an announcer and your more likely to miss out on a play. Debate after the match when the full consequences of any 'controversial' holding or PI penalty is known to full. Enjoy the game in the moment, soak it in, watch everything, try understand whats going on at any give moment. Then come on here the next day and discuss the finer details.

Its just a pet grievance I have and its the same when I see people discussing a match on FB thats happening. I realise its sounds pretentious but it leads me to believe that people are not even watching sport anymore for the actual game/sport and more for the highlight moments and controversial outside things.

/rant over! (maybe I should be post it in the Soccer Forum)

This is nothing but a rant. AF by its design is a game with a lot of stoppages giving ample time to comment between plays.

Saying you cant watch a game and post in between plays is just rubbish.

I havent seen that on here at all and even if it does we all know who is knowledgable and able to make their own opinions about any aspect of a play or game in this forum and those that just trot out platitudes or coment based on what they have read on other sites.

besides which just because somebody posts something similar to what a commentator or reporter says doesnt mean they dont know what they are talking about perhaps they jsut agree with their view.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

One thing i dont like on this forum is how some newbies to the game are treated by some of the more seasoned posters when they post an opinion that is off the mark.

Its doesnt happen that often but it can sometimes be a bit hostile to newbies trying to learn the game.

Hazys wrote: »
    One thing i dont like on this forum is how some newbies to the game are treated by some of the more seasoned posters when they post an opinion that is off the mark.

Its doesnt happen that often but it can sometimes be a bit hostile to newbies trying to learn the game.

I have only seen that when a newbie posts something way off the mark when trying to show they are amazingly knowledgable.

Ive never seen a newbie chastised for making a good point.

If you know what your talking and can put a coherent argument together then you wont be treated like a blagger.

when newbies come on posting about Tom Tebow and the likes and get slated for not having a clue I think its fair game.

Edit yes I purposely wrote Tom and not Tim.... to illustrate my point :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

D3PO wrote: »
    when newbies come on posting about Tom Tebow and the likes and get slated for not having a clue I think its fair game.

Edit yes I purposely wrote Tom and not Tim.... to illustrate my point :)

Tom Tebow!! Damn, I was just about to jump all over that!! :pac:

Hazys wrote: »
    Tom Tebow!! Damn, I was just about to jump all over that!! :pac:

:cool::cool:

Yep hes elite.

Just like Drew Breaze, Matt Shawbe, and that fella Grossman. Llyod Grossman isnt it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

In fairness the majority of posters on here are really helpful and genuine. It's not awful long ago that I started posting in here and was asking ridiculous questions about anything from the rules/draft/college bowls, and instead of getting ':rolleyes:' or narky answers everyone responded positively enough.

And in cases like that, I can imagine it gets very tedious for the same questions to be asked about the game all the time so someone would be well within their right to be annoyed.

Anyways, recently enough it's been a bit tetchy between everyone on here. End of season blues perhaps? :pac:

In fairness the majority of posters on here are really helpful and genuine. It's not awful long ago that I started posting in here and was asking ridiculous questions about anything from the rules/draft/college bowls, and instead of getting ':rolleyes:' or narky answers everyone responded positively enough.

And in cases like that, I can imagine it gets very tedious for the same questions to be asked about the game all the time so someone would be well within their right to be annoyed.

Ive never seen anybody slated for asking a question weather it be about a rule or tactics or anything. Ive only ever seen people slated for pretending to know what they are talking about.

for example somebody kept posting about Landry Jones using the wrong name. A well known error made on another football site.

This showed the poster was nothing but a blagger using somebody elses views to try and make themselves look like they knew what they were talking about.

New Panthers logo. Not that different but now three dimensional ! :)

nfl_a_pantherlogo_300.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Anyways, recently enough it's been a bit tetchy between everyone on here. End of season blues perhaps? :pac:
    I agree most are very helpful and intelligent. Don't see many belittling or pretentious/conceited posts to replies. Alot more friendly than the soccer forum where even praising a player can incite a near hatemail response.

As for my earlier rant. I probably should have posted it elsewhere as AF as rightly pointed out does allow for a few mins downtime whetep you use it go toilet, stick on the kettle or post on a forum.

The main underlying point I mentioned at the end was more and more people viewing sport as a whole as a circus or a soap opera and taking away from the actual enjoyment of watching an actual game, they would rather comment on a players race, religion, clothes, hairstyle etc etc

The main underlying point I mentioned at the end was more and more people viewing sport as a whole as a circus or a soap opera and taking away from the actual enjoyment of watching an actual game, they would rather comment on a players race, religion, clothes, hairstyle etc etc

Well tht's one thing that has not cropped in here!

As has been pointed out, AF is a much longer game, so very easy to post during the game, as for missing something while typing you'd really wanna have your head stuck in your keyboard/not able to multitask to miss something!

Really feel the rant was unnecessary as look at forums across Boards, from all the Sports, to Television to Technology, live commentary has already existed, it contributes to the discussion! You try and say wait till the end, why wait 3 hours to discuss a point if you can do it straight away!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Tristram

New Panthers logo. Not that different but now three dimensional ! :)

nfl_a_pantherlogo_300.jpg

My Panther friends are not happy.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement