Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Danger_dave1

Since everyone in the American football forum checks this thread probably the best place for this post .

The Boards madden franchise is applying for a sub forum on American Football . The league has double in size since madden 11. The volume of post's is increasing every month. So the league is outgrowing the thread. Now there is an argument we should move to a games sub forum, but gamers don't play Madden. Its more American football fan's play Madden.

We feel the league could grow even more if its stays withing the American Football forum.

It effects the forum. I felt for posters within the forum you may not necessarily read the madden thread they should know about it .

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056536024

The league would love if everyone supported it but really all input is required. So please offer your opinion or post good or bad in the request thread and if you think its a good idea give it a +1

Dave

Sorry Mod's thought this would be the best place to make 90% of the community aware of request.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

Hall of Fame announcement show is underway. Im hoping for Cris Carter, Charles Haley, Willie Roaf, Will Shields and Bill Parcells to get in and then maybe someone like Eddie de Bartolo to get in as a contributor. I think it would be great to set the mark for a new-era owner this year in a class without a surefire lock.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Wondering does anyone have a stream that just shows nfl network? wouldn't mind being able to catch all the superbowl build up tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 39,898 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Butler, Dawson, Doleman, Kennedy, Martin and Roaf is the Class of 2012.

Chris carter is passed over again, Jesus H Christ it's a sick joke at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Some of the awards winners from tonight -

AP Defensive Player of the Year: Terrell Suggs

AP Comeback Player of the Year: Matthew Stafford

AP Coach of the Year: Jim Harbaugh

AP Rookie of the Year: Cam Newton

Defensive Rookie of the Year: Von Willer

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Some of the awards winners from tonight -

AP Defensive Player of the Year: Terrell Suggs

AP Comeback Player of the Year: Matthew Stafford

AP Coach of the Year: Jim Harbaugh

AP Rookie of the Year: Cam Newton

Defensive Rookie of the Year: Von Willer

According to twitter the results of the coach of the year vote was ...

"Jim Harbaugh got 45 votes, Mike McCarthy got three votes, John Fox got two votes. "

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

adrian522 wrote: »
    According to twitter the results of the coach of the year vote was ...

"Jim Harbaugh got 45 votes, Mike McCarthy got three votes, John Fox got two votes. "
    So?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

IMO John Fox should've got it. Jim Harbaugh inherited a good side.

matthew8 wrote: »
    IMO John Fox should've got it. Jim Harbaugh inherited a good side.
    What?! They had 8 wins and were outscored over the season!?

Harbaugh came from a college team, turned the 49ers around getting them to the Championship game and got Alex Smith playing fantastic!

He was well deserving of it!

To me these awards are a bit stupid, Brees wins Offensive POTY by a margin of 43-7 over Rodgers, yet Rodgers wins the MVP by a margin of 48-2 over Brees!

Both playing the same position yet they the voters turn it around so much...ridiculous really!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

kmart6 wrote: »
    To me these awards are a bit stupid, Brees wins Offensive POTY by a margin of 43-7 over Rodgers, yet Rodgers wins the MVP by a margin of 48-2 over Brees!

Both playing the same position yet they the voters turn it around so much...ridiculous really!

Clearly they wanted Brees to be recognised for his season and to share out the awards between two recipients rather than Rodgers just getting both. Otherwise it'd be a bit pointless to have an offensive POTY because (unless a defensive player has an extraordinary year) the MVP is most likely the real OPOTY really. Bit of a 1-2 system.

I know that's what they wanted, just seems pointless to me!

kmart6 wrote: »
    What?! They had 8 wins and were outscored over the season!?

Harbaugh came from a college team, turned the 49ers around getting them to the Championship game and got Alex Smith playing fantastic!

He was well deserving of it!

It's just that he completely turned around an awful defense (like he did in Carolina) and got a team to the playoffs when they really shouldn't have been there. The 49ers, as we saw towards the end of the 2010, were a good team that Harbaugh took over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Clearly they wanted Brees to be recognised for his season and to share out the awards between two recipients rather than Rodgers just getting both. Otherwise it'd be a bit pointless to have an offensive POTY because (unless a defensive player has an extraordinary year) the MVP is most likely the real OPOTY really. Bit of a 1-2 system.

Brees should've got both IMO.

davyjose wrote: »
    Brees should've got both IMO.

Neither should've been decided by now imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭walt colman

Watching it it was clear that every single active player in the theater felt like a complete tool being there instead of being tucked up in bed in a nearby hotel waiting to play in the big one on Sunday.

Edit: sorry I forgot - Go Patriots!

Patriots: 34
    Giants: 21

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

matthew8 wrote: »
    It's just that he completely turned around an awful defense (like he did in Carolina) and got a team to the playoffs when they really shouldn't have been there. The 49ers, as we saw towards the end of the 2010, were a good team that Harbaugh took over.

I don't know how you can possibly confuse the 2010 49ers with a good team.

The impact Harbaugh has had as been immense, yes singletary was awful but I think the improvement has been amazing, no to mention the players he has brought in, in the draft and free agency and all of a sudden players like Rodgers and Goldson are going to the pro bowl.

The 49ers towards the end of 2010 were a absolute mess to turn that around has been impressive.

Commissioner Roger Goodell told ESPN's Mike and Mike that, after what he saw last Sunday, the NFL will consider eliminating the Pro Bowl

Only reason the players will care is they won't get a free holiday to Hawaii!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Only 7 months to go! :pac:

5 if you wanna be generous;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Frisbee wrote: »
    Only 7 months to go! :pac:

Free Agency and the Draft in the next two and a half months will fill the gap a bit though...and sure then its minicamps and before you know it its training camp and preseason! Still though, Sundays are about to get very boring...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

spiralism wrote: »
    Free Agency and the Draft in the next two and a half months will fill the gap a bit though...and sure then its minicamps and before you know it its training camp and preseason! Still though, Sundays are about to get very boring...

Syncs up perfectly with the business end of the rugby calender and the GAA season. Ain't no off-season for fans here.

Could be a very long off season for us Colts fans :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Syferus wrote: »
    Syncs up perfectly with the business end of the rugby calender and the GAA season. Ain't no off-season for fans here.

I love it. Just after the All Irelands, there's the NFL to get you through the early dead months of the Premiership where the league hasn't warmed up at all, then once its finished, we're right into the Business end of the Soccer season, the the six nations,the latter stages of the Heineken cup, the league and club championships in the GAA and then the Championship to follow. Can't bate it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Plently to keep us interested

And the mock draft last year was great, must do that again

There are a few draft podcasts out there, Bucky Brooks from nfl.com has one, there on itunes.
    About six hours released so far, would keep you going for a while

They'll probably get Mike Mayock on at some stage

He will inform us who the heavy legged waist benders in this years class are :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Lads is there anything like a season review dvd or something I could watch? Wouldn't mind getting into the NFL a bit more but know nothing about it really, maybe if I watch the season review for last season or something I'll pick stuff up and prepare myself better for next season?

Em, you could watch America's Game, but that's just a review of the Superbowl winners season!

I'd say in the coming weeks there'll be season review video's popping up on NFL.com!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Kurt Warner is not OK with Eli being a future HOFer
    There wasn’t a quarterback just up and down the field carrying the team. Yeah, he made the plays down the stretch -- no question about it. He’s had two great playoff runs -- or his team has had two great playoff runs. But I also look at the rest of his career.

Ouch, I think someone is jealous !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Kurt Warner is not OK with Eli being a future HOFer

Ouch, I think someone is honest!!

FYP.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Kurt Warner speaks the truth

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement