Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Warner and Elite have history from their Giants days - Warner was going well in Manning's first season but they decided to switch to Manning mid-season and it completely tanked the Giants play-off hopes. Not the best source for advice on Manning, and his own HOF credentials are in a similar 'probably will get there' situation as Manning's.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

So tallaght has now closed his account...getting bare around here!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Tristram

If at first you don't succeed, rage-quit. Works every time!

6 posts in the last year in here and you can determine that....fair play!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

All the best people shut their account, change their mind and come back for the chat :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Raiders release cornerback Standford Routt. Reggie and company cleaning house early.

Just on a follow up to this, tallaght has been in touch with me!

He has closed his account due to a very hectic schedule in the coming months, coupled with, and to quote the man himself:
    the knob ends have killed the fun around these parts

I do have to agree, I think we have had a great season here in American Football, but recently there seems to have been a lot of people who will just pop in and start an argument about something where they won't acknowledge the facts and have a proper debate on the matter. I believe these people know who they are, and enjoy it but god it's become incredibly frustrating!

There have been a few great newcomers this year, off the top of my head I'm thinking PaullyD and Pudsy33 who have added a lot to the forum which has been great and has added to the place....as well as in Tebow bandwagoners!:rolleyes:

I really don't know what I'm hoping to achieve with this, just wish all the crap of recent months can be cut out and if something is going to be debated do it properly! Less the place is dragged down the better!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

Kurt Warner is not OK with Eli being a future HOFer

Ouch, I think someone is jealous !!

Kurt Warner was better than Eli will ever be imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Ah, that's pretty shít to hear. TO was a great poster to read in terms of knowledge of the game. Didn't always agree with how he argued some things but in fairness it can be pretty infuriating at times.

Between him and Tom Brady/Archi/Peyton Manning/Cam Newton - bit of a loss in quality posting this season around here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Don't worry lads, you've got me now, circle of life et all.

I even watched my 2nd ever game last night. :cool: :cool: :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Its a great pity that TO and Cam/Tom have closed their accounts. They both seemed hugely knowledgeable and I learned alot from reading their posts. But, that said, there are still a lot of good posters around here! Hopefully the start of the new season will bring more people in, and maybe even some of the old favourites back!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Its a great pity that TO and Cam/Tom have closed their accounts. They both seemed hugely knowledgeable and I learned alot from reading their posts. But, that said, there are still a lot of good posters around here! Hopefully the start of the new season will bring more people in, and maybe even some of the old favourites back!

Yeah its a real pity. They had some really good contribution around here. In a way its a pity the sport is getting bigger and therefore attracting more attention. I've never seen the forum as busy as the night of the superbowl. Some new posters were saying things that the likes of TO couldnt ignore.

Hopefully we get them back arond the time of the draft :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Don't worry lads, you've got me now, circle of life et all.

I even watched my 2nd ever game last night. :cool: :cool: :p

What was it ? :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Forgot to post this up yesterday, Chad Ochocinco will be Chad Johnson from July. His fiancé didnt want to marry him and have a made up name for her surname. And something to do with Reebok and Nike changing jerseys and paying for a name/number change. (I think Adrian Peterson wanted to change his number but would have cost him over $1m to do so.)

Edit; link here to Ochocincos name change.

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22475988/34774699

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

Very sorry to hear TO left and so soon after Tom/Cam/Peyton it seems like we've lost our two most recognisable and knowledgeable posters here, hopefully they'll be back soon. As was pointed out there's been a huge increase in posters here recently but now the season is over i'd imagine it will get die off and leave the passionate fans here to keep the forum going until Sept.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

OAOB wrote: »
    V As was pointed out there's been a huge increase in posters here recently but now the season is over i'd imagine it will get die off and leave the passionate fans here to keep the forum going until Sept.

This is the best time of the year :D

We engage in wild speculation about free agency, dream up ridiculous trades with no backup and then everyone else jumps in and ridicules you

And then we do the mock draft

Here is last years draft, everyone did great work
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=71353368

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

mikemac1 wrote: »
    This is the best time of the year :D

We engage in wild speculation about free agency, dream up ridiculous trades with no backup and then everyone else jumps in and ridicules you

And then we do the mock draft

Here is last years draft, everyone did great work
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=71353368

I love the build up to the draft, everyone is so wrong its ridiculous. And with some big trade up for RGIII going to happen this year mock drafts become even more inaccurate:D

The boards draft last year was great, i especially liked how it became rushed right at the end and only a handful of people picking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭neilster

Very sorry to hear TO left and so soon after Tom/Cam/Peyton it seems like we've lost our two most recognisable and knowledgeable posters here, hopefully they'll be back soon. As was pointed out there's been a huge increase in posters here recently but now the season is over i'd imagine it will get die off and leave the passionate fans here to keep the forum going until Sept.

hearhear myself and TO have had our moments but will be sorely missed as will the others

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭neilster

kmart6 wrote: »
    Just on a follow up to this, tallaght has been in touch with me!

He has closed his account due to a very hectic schedule in the coming months, coupled with, and to quote the man himself:

I do have to agree, I think we have had a great season here in American Football, but recently there seems to have been a lot of people who will just pop in and start an argument about something where they won't acknowledge the facts and have a proper debate on the matter. I believe these people know who they are, and enjoy it but god it's become incredibly frustrating!

There have been a few great newcomers this year, off the top of my head I'm thinking PaullyD and Pudsy33 who have added a lot to the forum which has been great and has added to the place....as well as in Tebow bandwagoners!:rolleyes:

I really don't know what I'm hoping to achieve with this, just wish all the crap of recent months can be cut out and if something is going to be debated do it properly! Less the place is dragged down the better!

I would agree and maybe people as opposed to arguing in the face of a lot of fact ...maybe people would look into it a lot more ....i dont know as much as you on TO Leaving but we all saw his points being writ large in the result the other night ...the facts didnt lie

and when someone argues long laboriously and ad nauseum that black is white its frustrating

What was it ? :)
    AFC Wildcard - Bengals v Texans.

It was alright, got a bit boring!! There aren't that many to choose from online if you're not willing to pay!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭heyjude

Raiders release cornerback Standford Routt. Reggie and company cleaning house early.

Quite a statement by Reggie and Co and what a comedown for Routt, from being probably the second best paid cornerback behind Revis to being released in less than a year. Mind you, he led the league in TDs conceeded(9) and also led the league in penalties on him with 17.

So Reggie and Co are laying down a marker that a big contract has got to be matched by big performances. With their limited draft picks, I wonder can they afford to cut any of the other high paid underperformers and whether they have identified a free agent to replace Routt or whether they'll just promote one of the rookie CBs from last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Kurt Warner is not OK with Eli being a future HOFer

Ouch, I think someone is jealous !!

Kurt has his legacy though, i cant see why he'd be jealous and he doesn't seem the type. Eli is getting HOF at some point now but Warner will certainly be voted in, possibly 1st ballot. A true great of the game, his last two seasons really drew the line on a great career.

It was alright, got a bit boring!! There aren't that many to choose from online if you're not willing to pay!!
    Have you tried ten yard torrents?!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

It's a real shame, much as i disagreed with TO on the whole Tebow thing he really was one of the best posters here, as was Tom/Cam/Peyton. Guess some of the newer lads like myself and Paully D will have to pick up the slack...

bruschi wrote: »
    Forgot to post this up yesterday, Chad Ochocinco will be Chad Johnson from July. His fiancé didnt want to marry him and have a made up name for her surname. And something to do with Reebok and Nike changing jerseys and paying for a name/number change. (I think Adrian Peterson wanted to change his number but would have cost him over $1m to do so.)

Edit; link here to Ochocincos name change.

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22475988/34774699
    Yeah noticed him going on about this on twitter...keeps saying it's cause of an arrest warrant and can't get him if he changes his name ha!

Think it's crazy that the players have to pay the suppliers if they want to change their name/number...not there fault if the suppliers are lift with stockpiles of stock, more bad management on their own part!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,368 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

It really does suck when you get people making comments and telling others they are wrong but not backing it up with anything worthwhile. Tallaght used to get a bit stressed with it sometimes. We had some real good arguments, and I and he had them with Archi too before he left and we were all Patriots fans.

Its not going to be nearly as good around here without those two guys. I've backed off a bit over the last couple of months due to other commitments, Davyjose is another one who doesn't post much anymore. There are others who have left too who wouldn't have been just as regular as us on here. Hazys doesn't post as much anymore either now that I think of it. Blue_Lagoon or Black Swan is another thats disappeared and was great in the college forum.

We have gotten some good new posters but there is still a huge gap in standard to where this place was 12 or so months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Have to say I'm also disappointed to see Tallaght Outlaws go, along with Cam Newton.

Both have helped me a lot since I first started posting on here and made some great contributions.

I think Cam's Classics could have been a great addition to the forum, especially over the next few months when regular football is at an absolute minimum.

I have to admit that I can see why they have gone though. Sports forums especially are very frustrating. I have stopped posting on the soccer forum on here myself because you can't criticise a particular team without it descending into the same old arguments all the time. I have no doubt I'll be back posting on there in the future all the same and I hope TO and Cam come back onto this forum.

Rumours that TO has had to leave because he's actually Cormac from Tallafornia remain unconfirmed!

kmart6 wrote: »
    Have you tried ten yard torrents?!
    Looks like a great site but seems the tracker site is closed to new members. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

As someone who has just started watching NFL this season, here's a few games I'd recommend you try and watch from this year (off the top of my head so will probably forget some and included some games others won't like, but anyway):

1st game of the season - Saints V Packers

Regular season - Patriots V Bills (September), Ravens V Steelers (November), Broncos V Vikings (December), Giants V Cowboys (December)

Playoffs: Saints V 49ers (best game all year IMO, make sure to try and watch this!!), Broncos V Steelers, Ravens V Patriots.

That should keep you going for a while anyway :)

• Advertisement

Paully D wrote: »
    As someone who has just started watching NFL this season, here's a few games I'd recommend you try and watch from this year (off the top of my head so will probably forget some and included some games others won't like, but anyway):

1st game of the season - Saints V Packers

Regular season - Patriots V Bills (September), Ravens V Steelers (November), Broncos V Vikings (December), Giants V Cowboys (December)

Playoffs: Saints V 49ers (best game all year IMO, make sure to try and watch this!!), Broncos V Steelers, Ravens V Patriots.

That should keep you going for a while anyway :)
    Cheers dude, I had looked up what games to checkout and the Saints v Packers game came up but I haven't had any luck finding any files that are online. There are some torrents but don't fancy waiting a week for it to download!!

I found the Saints v 49ers though! Downloading now, 8.5Gb :eek: Will watch it tomorrow, nice one!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement