Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Looks like a great site but seems the tracker site is closed to new members. :(
    Right, as much and all as watching a full game can help it'll be very tedious.....the main highlights on each game center on the NFL website will cover a lot!

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭TJ Mackie

FYI for all of ye American Football fans who have had to put up with the "rugby for pussies" digsover the years....

It looks like those poor rugby boys have had to call off their big game because it was a bit cold in France!

Toughen up chappies! :D

Tom-Brady-Snow-Games.jpg
    snow_14.jpg
    NFL_CLE_BUF.jpg
    SeaGals-on-Snow-nfl-cheerleaders-469532_456_414.jpg

I know your only having a laugh but it's the right decision!

-5 and a frozen pitch, would have been madness to expect them to play on,th! Much easier for the NFL lads in those conditions with all their gear! Lot different banging your head off frozen ground with a helmet than without,even with the helmet it prob sucks!

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭TJ Mackie

Ill trust your judgement - i dont know anything about either sport, i just thought it was funny after the thread in after hours last weekend! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Under general banter I'll add this video

A week in the life - Steven Jackson

Nice video, just thirty minutes and shows what a player may go through for recovery and training
    The guy is a class act, take note DeSean Jackson

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

kmart6 wrote: »
    I know your only having a laugh but it's the right decision!

-5 and a frozen pitch, would have been madness to expect them to play on,th! Much easier for the NFL lads in those conditions with all their gear! Lot different banging your head off frozen ground with a helmet than without,even with the helmet it prob sucks!

Banging your head off a frozen surface with those forces would lead to serious brain damage or even death. Add in falling from lineouts on your back or even collapsing scrums it all spells serious damage.

What I can never understand though is how NFL players continually wear next to nothing in that weather :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 38,368 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Stev_o wrote: »
    Banging your head off a frozen surface with those forces would lead to serious brain damage or even death. Add in falling from lineouts on your back or even collapsing scrums it all spells serious damage.

What I can never understand though is how NFL players continually wear next to nothing in that weather :eek:
    In the winter time they have heaters behind the players to keep them warm. In the hotter temperatures they have fans blowing behind them to keep them cool. Its only for the time they are on the pitch that the cold weather affects them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

404414_129925353796234_100003363096802_124373_708755573_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Tristram

mikemac1 wrote: »
    All the best people shut their account, change their mind and come back for the chat :cool:

Happens every year. Thankfully this was a quiet exit. Not sure why people feel the need to announce their departure. To each their own.

• Advertisement

He didn't announce it, it was noticed and due to that he got in contact to put some explanation behind it!

It's not something that happens every year, and there's a lot of it around boards as a whole in recent months, very noticeable and well known posters closing their accounts, which is unfortunate!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Arguements and debates in sport are only natural. Opinions form the topic of discussion for most threads and people will always have a different opinion to your own. You should be able to accept and give a fairly considered opinion yourself without resulting to debasing a poster or personal abuse.

I think the American Football forum is alot less catty and prickly than the Soccer forum, thats not to say that there isnt the odd posts here and there that are immature, condescending and obnoxious. But I feel as awhole its best to ignore engaging in them type of back and forward posts with someone who clearly won't even acknowledge your own opinion.

If you cant accept the right to an opinion different to your own and feel the urge to argue with every single post that you disagree with rather than moving over it and looking for a post you do like. Then sports forum aren't the place for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

If you cant accept the right to an opinion different to your own and feel the urge to argue with every single post that you disagree with rather than moving over it and looking for a post you do like. Then sports forum aren't the place for you.

Or on the other hand, sports forums ARE the place for you; as its always good to have two sides to every arguement and debate; thus is the world and progressive thought moving forward. As they say "even a broken clock is right twice a day".

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Andre80Johnson

When will Nike be releasing pictures of next seasons jersey etc. Can't seem to find any information, other than the gloves they previewed.

When will Nike be releasing pictures of next seasons jersey etc. Can't seem to find any information, other than the gloves they previewed.
    Hard to know, but don't be expecting anything drastic, going to stay pretty much the same! Although, I read somewhere that the Seahawks will try have a significantly different one due to the fact they haven't had a new jersey in awhile!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

probably about launch time, wouldn't surprise me if we only saw them the first week of April or so!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

The big issue with the Ireland-France game was that Stade de France has no under-soil heating and the pitch was lethally hard whereas the most 'janky' NFL stadium has under-soil heating so even in deep snow and ground frost the surface is plenty forgiving enough to play.

Heck, the only reason the Ice Bowl happened was because the under-soil heating failed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

In soccer you need to do courses and coaching badges. You often hear of older players working towards their UEFA coaching badge so they are prepared for retirement

Does such a thing exist in American football?
    Supposing Matt Birk, veteran center of the Vikings and Ravens retires there are lot of fans hoping he'd come in as a coach.
    Now he's never said he wants to be a coach but it's something fans think about. Plus the Ravens Oline coach is not far away from getting sacked.

Do former players need to do courses before they can become coaches?

I don't realy know and it's hard to find info out there

Never heard of having to do any courses! I'm sure once they've shown a high football IQ and shown the right characteristics they'd be considered!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭AIR-AUSSIE

mikemac1 wrote: »
    In soccer you need to do courses and coaching badges. You often hear of older players working towards their UEFA coaching badge so they are prepared for retirement

Does such a thing exist in American football?
    Supposing Matt Birk, veteran center of the Vikings and Ravens retires there are lot of fans hoping he'd come in as a coach.
    Now he's never said he wants to be a coach but it's something fans think about. Plus the Ravens Oline coach is not far away from getting sacked.

Do former players need to do courses before they can become coaches?

I don't realy know and it's hard to find info out there

Top 26 ex players as coaches

Random fact: Tony Dungy the only player to catch and throw an interception in the same match...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

AIR-AUSSIE wrote: »
    Top 26 ex players as coaches

Random fact: Tony Dungy the only player to catch and throw an interception in the same match...

Random Fact II: A Bill Cowher tackle ended Jeff Fisher's playing career.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

High school football going to be played in Navan

http://www.thescore.ie/friday-night-lights-navans-pairc-tailteann-to-host-high-school-american-football-game-358023-Feb2012/

I presume this is just to gain more publicity for the game in the Aviva but i'll go along to it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭poldebruin

probably about launch time, wouldn't surprise me if we only saw them the first week of April or so!

Here's a link to to the jerseys that "leaked" last year from Nike. They were later found to be just a design students concept or some such, but some nice ideas all the same.

32 team uniforms redesigned

Love the Broncos one. The Chiefs one is a disaster.

Nike have confirmed there will be only slight changes made and the biggest change will be the material used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭poldebruin

davyjose wrote: »
    Random Fact II: A Bill Cowher tackle ended Jeff Fisher's playing career.

Random Fact III Herm Edwards was responsible for the "Miracle at the Meadowlands"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,887 ✭✭✭deisedude

poldebruin wrote: »
    Here's a link to to the jerseys that "leaked" last year from Nike. They were later found to be just a design students concept or some such, but some nice ideas all the same.

32 team uniforms redesigned

Love the Broncos one. The Chiefs one is a disaster.

Nike have confirmed there will be only slight changes made and the biggest change will be the material used.

I'd love if the Bengals one looked like that. I refuse to buy the current jersey because its so ugly

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Those jerseys all look horrible enough to turn me off the NFL.

Well considering they are concepts you won't have to worry bout that!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

I actually love the Patriots one.

Steelers ones are hilariously bad.

Like the Cardinals, 49ers, Rams, and Vikes.

Pats one is very Captain America!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

kmart6 wrote: »
    Pats one is very Captain America!

Yup! The students really took the "Patriots" theme aboard!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement