Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

"Jerseys that are not due to be changed will not be changed. Fairly obvious, but some people expected a rule exception since the company is changing. No exception. If you have gotten your logo, or any part of your uniform changed in the past 5 years, you will receive no actual design changes." from here http://www.reddit.com/r/nfl/comments/puxyg/my_store_is_getting_in_approximately_250000_worth/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Delighted the jerseys will actually be fitted now!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

matthew8 wrote: »
    Those jerseys all look horrible enough to turn me off the NFL.

Jaysus. I dont like jerseys so I wont bother watching a whole sport because of it. Cant say I've heard that one before.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

bruschi wrote: »
    Jaysus. I dont like jerseys so I wont bother watching a whole sport because of it. Cant say I've heard that one before.

especially about fan made jerseys...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

SantryRed wrote: »
    Delighted the jerseys will actually be fitted now!

Yep if that is the case I agree.
    It looked ridiculous seeing people wear these massive nightdress looking things around just catering for the lazy heavy American audience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

bruschi wrote: »

It was a bit of a joke now. I don't think anyone but the most fairweather fans could be turned off a sport by a jersey.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Nice round up of the NFL season just gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

nice vid not sure what to make of all the offensive records good players and all but the short offseason helped a lot

I still cringe at the injured Bronco's foot. Anyone know of his status? Perhaps spiralism and co.?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

I still cringe at the injured Bronco's foot. Anyone know of his status? Perhaps spiralism and co.?

you think thats bad check out the johnny knox i feared the worst when i saw it thought his spine was gone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

He'll be back by training camp according to reports once he has no set backs!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

All Hail... 12/12/12 is now proclaimed as Aaron Rodgers day in Wisconsin.
    The Wisconsin State Assembly has passed a resolution naming a day for Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers. The resolution designates Dec. 12, 2012, as Aaron Rodgers Day. The Assembly passed the resolution unanimously on Tuesday and sent it on to the state Senate.

Aaron Rodgers wears No. 12, hence the 12/12/12 designation. Rodgers led the Packers to a Super Bowl victory during the 2010 season, and was named the 2011 NFL MVP after throwing for 45 touchdowns and 4,643 yards with a league record 122.5 passer rating.

Rodgers, a first-round draft pick in 2005, replaced Brett Favre as Green Bay's starting quarterback in 2008.

They do love em their QB in Cheese country!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Brilliant, just in time for the end of the world!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Coach Tom Martinez died
    He was a QB coach who worked with Tom Brady and also prepared JaMarcus Russell for the draft

If you listen the ESPN Football today podcast you might remember he did two interviews with them two years ago
    Definitely the best episodes of that podcast I've ever heard

So if you're interested in learned what a QB coach does, what "mechanics" actually means and the skills that go into making a top QB both archived podcasts are well worth listening to

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/show?showId=footballtoday

It's a bit technical but very informative

I emailed them earlier this year asking would they get him back on the podcast but I wasn't aware at the time he was seriously ill

It's the offseason anyway, they are well worth a listen

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Broken tibia and fibula, pulled ligaments per his father's post on orangemane. Should be back for training camp, bout a 6 month layoff or so.

Savage video, needs more Tebow though :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

The Johnny Knox injury was the worst I've ever seen, at least visually, in any sport. The phrase "can't be unseen" comes to mind, but it was absolutely horrible how his body folded like that.

By the way, it's Cam here. Apologies for leaving giving no notice - work gets ridiculously busy every January and February, more so than any time of the year. Combined with exams I've got coming up, I didn't need the distraction and I have the worst will power ever, so simply not logging in wasn't an option for me. Plus, having to log in with the name Peyton Manning every day had lost it's novelty :o And to top it all off, there may have been an element of rage quit in there following what happened the SuperBowl :(

I wasn't kidding anyone thinking I could stay away for draft season anyway - my favourite time of year! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

The Johnny Knox injury was the worst I've ever seen, at least visually, in any sport. The phrase "can't be unseen" comes to mind, but it was absolutely horrible how his body folded like that.

By the way, it's Cam here. Apologies for leaving giving no notice - work gets ridiculously busy every January and February, more so than any time of the year. Combined with exams I've got coming up, I didn't need the distraction and I have the worst will power ever, so simply not logging in wasn't an option for me. Plus, having to log in with the name Peyton Manning every day had lost it's novelty :o And to top it all off, there may have been an element of rage quit in there following what happened the SuperBowl :(

I wasn't kidding anyone thinking I could stay away for draft season anyway - my favourite time of year! :D

Good to have you back man!

spiralism wrote: »
    Good to have you back man!

Thanks, I'll try not to be such an opinionated wanker this time! No promises though :o

Now! To get tallaghtoutlaws back...

As I've said already, he said he won't be around anytime soon!

• Advertisement

Thanks, I'll try not to be such an opinionated wanker this time! No promises though :o

Do you not miss the post count though? I couldn't miss my 3k odd post. I like having a number there.

Do you not miss the post count though? I couldn't miss my 3k odd post. I like having a number there.

Not one bit, there was a lot of incriminating evidence among all those posts - one of which was probably the most ludicrous statement ever posted on this forum back from 2008:
    JaMarcus is a quality QB, but as pointed out, wont be able to show that at the Raiders. Possible the worst protection in the NFL.

Can you blame me for wanting to distance myself from comments like that? :o

GIF of the season goes to Brandon Browner.

Blocks the shít out of three guys by himself....completely oblivious to the fact that Leon Washington calls a fair catch (or maybe not, he was after all the most penalised player in the league this year ;) )

1zlzq7r_jpg.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭RGIII

Haha, Browner can be sometimes too physical :pHere's a video of him suplexing Jerome Simpson :D

It's a great story though. CFL player last year, in the Pro Bowl the next. He struggled badly at first especially with speed receivers but came on a lot and developed into a great corner. 

Not one bit, there was a lot of incriminating evidence among all those posts - one of which was probably the most ludicrous statement ever posted on this forum back from 2008:

Can you blame me for wanting to distance myself from comments like that? :o

That is a zinger! Jeeez!

Undefeated won Best Documentary at the Oscars last night, can't wait to give it a watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

Undefeated won Best Documentary at the Oscars last night, can't wait to give it a watch.

+1

15336411.jpg

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell announced Tuesday that the 2012 season-opening NFL Kickoff game will be played first the first time on a Wednesday in order to avoid a conflict President Barack Obama's Sept. 6 speech at the Democratic National Convention.

The Super Bowl XLVI-champion New York Giants will host the game at MetLife Stadium on Sept. 5 at 8:30 p.m. ET. The game will be aired on NBC with the NFL Kickoff 2012 beginning at 7:30 p.m. ET.

The 2012 Democratic National Convention is being held in Charlotte, N.C., and Obama is planning to make his acceptance speech at Bank of America Stadium, home of the Carolina Panthers.

NFL on a Wednesday...that's going to be weird!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭deise_boi

kmart6 wrote: »
    NFL on a Wednesday...that's going to be weird!

The sooner the better! :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement