Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

deise_boi wrote: »
    The sooner the better! :D

Ugh 2 days of work after the first game of the season will be rough though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

Ugh 2 days of work after the first game of the season will be rough though!

*cough* sick day *cough cough*

:D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

See below, the 49ers have signed lb Ahmad brooks, to a 6 year deal, I consider this to be an important signing for SF, and apparently not much of a cap hit either...

The 49ers recently announced they have signed outside linebacker Ahmad Brooks to a six-year contract worth a reported $44.5 million. Before you freak out over that total, the guaranteed money is said to be $17.5M, which is a VERY modest number.

Typically it's said to look at the first three years of the contract in terms of signing bonus and guaranteed salary. While we don't have the breakdown just yet (as of typing this), I would assume Brooks got somewhere between $5M and $10M for signing bonus and that his guaranteed salaries are relatively low. His cap number would look to be pretty low with that guaranteed money total, too.

This may spell the end for Parys Haralson, at least as a starter with Trent Baalke essentially naming Aldon Smith the starter on the right side and Brooks inking a multi-year deal. Something tells me Haralson won't want to be a back-up and the 49ers might not want to pay him millions to do so.

Many hope that the team will now turn it's focus to CB Carlos Rogers, another key contributor on one of the league's best defenses. It has been said however that the defensive front seven largely contributed to the secondary's success in 2011, something th coaches are said to believe as well.

The 49ers have been rumored to be ready to franchise free safety Dashon Goldson, who has been said to be seeking a large multi-year contract after having his best season yet as a 49er.

Alex Smith is all but certain to re-sign as Jim Harbaugh and Trent Baalke have both said how comfortable they are with the fact that Smith will be the QB in 2012.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Top Ten Plays of the Past 25 Years...it does exactly what it says on the tin

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Marshall Lynch beast mode won the NFL Flims play of years!

That punt by Dodge V the Eagles was awful! straight down the middle and short!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Marshall Lynch beast mode won the NFL Flims play of years!

That punt by Dodge V the Eagles was awful! straight down the middle and short!

I think Dodge got waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much blame for that punt. To start with the snap was high, but DeSean Jackson fumbled his punt and the tackling crew were further downfield than they typically would be, so for that play the tacklers should get the blame. Of course the rest of the team blew the lead.

kmart6 wrote: »
    NFL on a Wednesday...that's going to be weird!

And moving it for a political event no less. They should have held it on the Thursday as a statement that the NFL doesn't move its dates for anyone. I get the feeling this Obama guy doesn't really like american football, I think he scheduled a state of the union adress during the Lions-Saints playoff game.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

matthew8 wrote: »
    And moving it for a political event no less. They should have held it on the Thursday as a statement that the NFL doesn't move its dates for anyone. I get the feeling this Obama guy doesn't really like american football, I think he scheduled a state of the union adress during the Lions-Saints playoff game.
    It's the Democratic convention, which as far as I'm aware would have been set in place for that weekend before the Giants won the Superbowl, so to try and say Obama purposely did it is a bit ridiculous!

Hardly surprising....
    End of an era: Steelers will release Hines Ward.

It's the Democratic convention, which as far as I'm aware would have been set in place for that weekend before the Giants won the Superbowl, so to try and say Obama purposely did it is a bit ridiculous!

It's not purposely, but whoever scheduled it ignored the start of the NFL. Clearly the Panthers owner doesn't mind though.

• Advertisement

Another $3.4 million saved on cap space for the Steelers. If they hold on to Mike Wallace because of all these moves, those number crunchers deserve all the praise.

Another $3.4 million saved on cap space for the Steelers. If they hold on to Mike Wallace because of all these moves, those number crunchers deserve all the praise.

I think the salary cap is a bit excessive. That you need to make huge cuts everywhere just to keep a wide receiver is a bit much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

I think the salary cap is a bit excessive. That you need to make huge cuts everywhere just to keep a wide receiver is a bit much.

I think it is probably the most important thing in NFL! The salary cap and the draft are what make the NFL so good!

I think it is probably the most important thing in NFL! The salary cap and the draft are what make the NFL so good!

But the new cap is too low.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,934 ✭✭✭nerd69

I think Dodge got waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much blame for that punt. To start with the snap was high, but DeSean Jackson fumbled his punt and the tackling crew were further downfield than they typically would be, so for that play the tacklers should get the blame. Of course the rest of the team blew the lead.

i agree love the play as an eagles fan but it was a bad snap and he was a young kicker under preasure and freaked out and even at that most players in the nfl would have gone nowhere with the return just bad bad luck all in all and he got dropped for it to its turned out well for the giants but was surprised he seems like a good punter did anyone else pick him up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

But the new cap is too low.

The cap goes up next year

Which is why Ray Rice is getting franchised for now and the team are not rushing to get the contract done and Joe Flacco and Laderius Webb won't be getting their new deals anytime soon though talks are ongoing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

DeSean Jackson gets the tag from the Eagles, glad to see him stay just hope that we can get some sort of a long term deal done. I know Jackson was a distraction this year but he's shown throughout his career that he is one of the elite receivers in the league

That's a great deal for him, going on the way he carried on last year he's very lucky to be getting that much money!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

As kmart says, he's very lucky.

The way he carried on last season was a joke and I thought his antics against the Seahawks where he wouldn't even acknowledge his team-mates would have been the straw that broke the camels back.

I can understand why he was angry that he wasn't getting big money compared to others, but he didn't do himself any favours at all last season.

No doubt he's lucky to still be there but as an Eagles fan if he can get back on track this year then all is forgiven. I think in many ways it was understandable that he got pissed off last year. He earned 640k whereas guys came into the team(Vince Young on 3 million) and he saw the team clearly undervaluing him.

To some extent I can sympathise with DeSean. At the end of the day the NFL is such a physical league where careers can end at any time. I think given that his contract was so undervalued compared to his production it was understandable that he was unwilling to put in the 100% effort for fear of getting injured last year. At least this year we will see him at his best and totally committed again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

frostie500 wrote: »
    No doubt he's lucky to still be there but as an Eagles fan if he can get back on track this year then all is forgiven. I think in many ways it was understandable that he got pissed off last year. He earned 640k whereas guys came into the team(Vince Young on 3 million) and he saw the team clearly undervaluing him.

To some extent I can sympathise with DeSean. At the end of the day the NFL is such a physical league where careers can end at any time. I think given that his contract was so undervalued compared to his production it was understandable that he was unwilling to put in the 100% effort for fear of getting injured last year. At least this year we will see him at his best and totally committed again

Yeah I agree, I can completely understand why he wasn't (rightly) happy with the money situation.

There can be no complaints from him next season if he does pick up the reported $9.5m for the year anyway.

Kris Dielman has retired for the good of his health!

Emotional press conference, with himself and Rivers in tears!

Kris Dielman has retired for the good of his health!

Emotional press conference, with himself and Rivers in tears!

Yeah in some ways its great to see a player decide that the potential for long term health problems trumped a desire to play in the league, especially considering Dielman could have played for another five or six years. Its clear it was a very difficult decision but clearly the right one to take.

Paully D wrote: »
    Yeah I agree, I can completely understand why he wasn't (rightly) happy with the money situation.

There can be no complaints from him next season if he does pick up the reported $9.5m for the year anyway.

But that's the way contracts go! He signed one that gave him that money each year, he was happy to sign it, how are the team to blame for him performing beyond what was expected, if he hadn't started acting out so much last off season then maybe he woulda have been offered a new contract, then he showed he couldn't/wouldn't perform because of it all! He should have honored what he signed!

Compare that to Cruz, practically, one of the main pieces in winning the Superbowl, only got somewhere around $500,000 and will get similar next year, yet all you'll here from him is he's so happy to be where he is, will work hard like normal, and when the time comes he'll think of his contract and expect to get paid on how he's performed and carried himself!

But that's the way contracts go! He signed one that gave him that money each year, he was happy to sign it, how are the team to blame for him performing beyond what was expected, if he hadn't started acting out so much last off season then maybe he woulda have been offered a new contract, then he showed he couldn't/wouldn't perform because of it all! He should have honored what he signed!
    I think in theory I agree with you about honouring a contract but that isnt a two way street in the NFL where teams routinely cut players with three, four or even five years remaining on their contracts. Players know that teams view them as dispensable so they have changed their viewpoints as a result. Im not in favour of players doing what Jackson did last year but I can understand it when you have played to such a degree better than your compensation.
    Compare that to Cruz, practically, one of the main pieces in winning the Superbowl, only got somewhere around $500,000 and will get similar next year, yet all you'll here from him is he's so happy to be where he is, will work hard like normal, and when the time comes he'll think of his contract and expect to get paid on how he's performed and carried himself!
    I think that Cruz and Jackson are very different situations. Jackson has been the Eagles number one receiver for the each year he has been in the league and one of the most important special team players not called Hestor in the NFL.
    Cruz is an undrafted free agent who has had one stellor season. Cruz is entering his contract year and knows that with one more big year he will be able to hit the free agency market and get a big pay day. If he had two or three years remaining on his deal do you think he'd be happy to play at that level of pay?

Yeah in some ways its great to see a player decide that the potential for long term health problems trumped a desire to play in the league, especially considering Dielman could have played for another five or six years. Its clear it was a very difficult decision but clearly the right one to take.

I only got to hear the press conference once, but what he said gave me the impression that he really didn't want to be retiring, now I know that's obvious, but what I mean is it kinda seemed like a decision that had been influenced by family or those close to him, and without them he'd be playing on!
    I think in theory I agree with you about honouring a contract but that isnt a two way street in the NFL where teams routinely cut players with three, four or even five years remaining on their contracts. Players know that teams view them as dispensable so they have changed their viewpoints as a result. Im not in favour of players doing what Jackson did last year but I can understand it when you have played to such a degree better than your compensation.

I think that Cruz and Jackson are very different situations. Jackson has been the Eagles number one receiver for the each year he has been in the league and one of the most important special team players not called Hestor in the NFL.
    Cruz is an undrafted free agent who has had one stellor season. Cruz is entering his contract year and knows that with one more big year he will be able to hit the free agency market and get a big pay day. If he had two or three years remaining on his deal do you think he'd be happy to play at that level of pay?

True, I can see your point! Look at I think it's Wimbley with the Raiders....they're going to cut him unless he renovates his contract! Think it's something crazy like $90million over 5years...just your typical Raiders contract really!

Well I'd love to think he'd be happy with it, and that there is some decent one's left that don't just jump ship at the first chance...unfortunately that doesn't seem he case...just look at Manningham!

Worth watching for his Purdue comment - genuinely made me lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,934 ✭✭✭nerd69

the Jackson ones a tough one it annoyed me that he tanked on what at the time we taught was going to be a big year for us but he's not been paid what he's worth and while he's not worth the larry fitz money he's looking for he prob should have been given a new contract 2 years ago.

i agree with kmart6 on the one hand he did sign that contract but why shouldnt he look for his money look at whats happening peyton now he signed a contract with the colts and had a hall of fame career for them and there replacing him in the draft and there right to do so but how can we criticize players for looking for extra money and not being loyal when teams do the same and no1 says anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

He could still be traded though, I guess the Eagles might wait and see how free agency pans out the wideout market first.

I can understand Jackson's reluctance to ply full tilt due to him being a player that goes over the middle a lot and is on return duty, there is a good chance a player doing that at his build could get seriously injured (I know any player can get injured at any moment in the NFL) and he didn't want that to happen in his last year of his rookie contract and not get paid this year. Its very frustrating watching that (esp for Eagles fans) but is it any worse than holding out?

• Advertisement

Worth watching for his Purdue comment - genuinely made me lol.

That was a hard watch tbh....watching grown mean like that cry over the bond they have is surreal, great to see, but gets me going then!:o

Surprisingly the Purdue comment didn't make it onto Sprtscenter!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement