Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Hairy Nipples 87

Hazys wrote: »
    Top Ten Plays of the Past 25 Years...it does exactly what it says on the tin

For me i think the Manning one should have been number 1! What were the circumstances surrounding the number 1 play? Even Harrisons was better than that and im a Ravens Fan!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

For me i think the Manning one should have been number 1! What were the circumstances surrounding the number 1 play? Even Harrisons was better than that and im a Ravens Fan!

I also notice they're pretty much all from the 2000s, shouldn't be called top 10 of 25 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

They threw in the Montana play to stretch it to 25! It's a joke of a list really!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Wallace watch continues:
    ESPN wrote:
    The Pittsburgh Steelers plan to tender, not franchise, restricted free agent Mike Wallace, according to a source close to the wide receiver.

This means another team could try to sign Wallace to an offer sheet that the Steelers would have the right to match -- or get a first-round pick in return.

The highest qualifying offer for Wallace is about $2.75 million, nearly matching the amount that Pittsburgh is now under the salary cap. To franchise Wallace would cost Pittsburgh $9.5 million, which it currently does not have the salary-cap space to absorb."

I think Wallace is easily worth a first rounder, particularly a late first round pick, if you have cap space of course, which the steelers don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Danger_dave1

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/18362/free-agent-preview-mike-wallace

Very interesting articles. Bill Barnwell is the head writer for NFL on the grantland network. He's writting these articles from the viewpoint of the players agent for free agency value.

• Advertisement

kmart6 wrote: »
    They threw in the Montana play to stretch it to 25! It's a joke of a list really!

Steve Young even.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

49ers have placed the non exclusive franchise tag on safety Dashon Goldson, this means that in all likelihood CB Carlos Rodgers will hit Free Agency.

matthew8 wrote: »
    Steve Young even.
    Whoops...that's who I meant...was watching something about Montana when I posted that!

Just watching an interview with Big Ben on SportsCenter here, and if you didn't know who he was you're think he's an O-Lineman....puts on a serious amount of weight every off season!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

**** just hit the fan in New Orleans.
    NFL security determined between 22 and 27 defensive players on the Saints, as well as at least one asst. coach, maintained a bounty program.

Supposedly Greg Williams over saw it. Basically players were rewarded for purposely injuring other teams players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

This could see a punishment similar to Spygate.

• Advertisement

It'd be worse than Spygate surely!?

It'd be worse than Spygate surely!?

That all depends. If they targeted Tom Brady, they'll be kicked out of the NFL. If not, a slap on the wrist.

That's shocking by the Saints. I hope they receive a massive penalty for it.

I think it will be much bigger than spygate. It seems they targetted Favre and Warner, and everyone will remember the Saints vs vikings play-off game and how badly Favre was injured. Also you have issues like salary cap violation and under the table payments to plays into the mix aswell. The biggest issue is the raging boner Goddell has had for player and QB safety which this obviously complete goes against, this could very well be the end of the Saints as a play-off team.

Edit: It will be interesting to see what happens to the coaches. Obviously Williams is now DC but the Raiders HC Dennis Allen was the Saints secondary coach around this time, hopefully he wasn't involved.

That all depends. If they targeted Tom Brady, they'll be kicked out of the NFL. If not, a slap on the wrist.
    I genuinely lol'd!

Peter King says that Tom Benson (Saints owner) found about it and told Mickey Loomis (GM) to put an end to it straight away, but he didn't.

A surefire way to lose your job if ever there was one!

Wonder if this might affect the negotiations between the organization and Brees...already miles apart, he might be happy with the tender and get outta dodge then after!

Although, don't see him as one to run considering everything he has done for NO!

Wonder if this might affect the negotiations between the organization and Brees...already miles apart, he might be happy with the tender and get outta dodge then after!

Although, don't see him as one to run considering everything he has done for NO!

I think all the players will be queuing up to gtfo of there. I suppose the only good thing for them is they already used this years 1st round pick last year.

Doubt there'll be sanctions in place by this years draft anyway!

I think it will be much bigger than spygate. It seems they targetted Favre and Warner, and everyone will remember the Saints vs vikings play-off game and how badly Favre was injured.

Schefter just said that Jonathan Vilma put $10k on the table in the week of the NFC Championship and said it was for whoever injured Favre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

Just out of curiousity did the Saints have a lot of "illegal hit" type penalties over the last few years? I dont remember their defence being ill-disciplined. I know that bounties are illegal in football but its not as if the Saints were going around punching players after the whistle etc.

frostie500 wrote: »
    Just out of curiousity did the Saints have a lot of "illegal hit" type penalties over the last few years? I dont remember their defence being ill-disciplined. I know that bounties are illegal in football but its not as if the Saints were going around punching players after the whistle etc.

Well there plenty of late hits on favre in that game that were pretty unnecessary.

frostie500 wrote: »

Well you aren't going to make it so obvious that you give up 15 yards and a first down/risk ejection every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,121 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I think this deserves its own thread, its going to be a huge story for quite a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,801 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Brett farve watch has now moved to twitter. He is only on it three hours and he has nearly 18K followers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

adrian522 wrote: »
    Well there plenty of late hits on favre in that game that were pretty unnecessary.

Yeah Im just after watching the highlights from that game and there was quite a few vicous hits on Favre. Lots of late hits, a couple of times he was driven in the ground and then there was one massive hit in the 3rd where he was hit hit and low by two defenders. With hindsight its pretty clear that the defence did all they could to get him injured and out of the game

• Registered Users Posts: 9,934 ✭✭✭nerd69

if some1 gets found guilty of this im thinking lifetime ban from anything nfl related has to be stamped out quick

First bet of the season put down today. Texans Superbowl (10/1) and USC National Championship (9/1) double at 108/1. Book it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Onecoolcookie

First bet of the season put down today. Texans Superbowl (10/1) and USC National Championship (9/1) double at 108/1. Book it ;)

USC at 9/1 is very nice, might have a look at that one myself!

• Advertisement

I know it's college ball but since that's quiet at the minute....
    9fmNn.gif

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement