Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

First bet of the season put down today. Texans Superbowl (10/1) and USC National Championship (9/1) double at 108/1. Book it ;)

Tasty bet that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Onecoolcookie

Probably been posted before but this is brilliant!

http://www.jest.com/video/136067/tebow-tantrum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

As I expected, Manning done with the Colts.
    Peyton Manning's 14-year career as a member of the Indianapolis Colts is coming to an end.

Sources close to the team told ESPN senior NFL analyst Chris Mortensen that the announcement will come at a news conference in Indianapolis on Wednesday with both Manning and owner Jim Irsay in attendance.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7653897/sources-indianapolis-colts-part-peyton-manning-wednesday

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Delighted with that tbh, gonna be great to see so much change in the league next year !

The next few weeks are gonna be full of speculation :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

gotta admit, this is one hell of an offseason

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭SK1979

davyjose wrote: »
    gotta admit, this is one hell of an offseason

The off-season, just another thing the NFL seems to do so much better than Soccer.

This drama is great. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

SK1979 wrote: »
    The off-season, just another thing the NFL seems to do so much better than Soccer.

This drama is great. :)

Ah I dunno, don't think anything has really topped Deadline day on the January 2011 Transfer window.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

It's pretty much like two off-seasons rolled into one after last years disastrous wait for the CBA.

Some amount of talent on FA this time around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Vote Gronk for the Madden cover:

Gronk is some clown, always havin d' craic!

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/post/_/id/7653356/vote-patriots-madden-play-round

"All the chicks, bro"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Hazys wrote: »
    Vote Gronk for the Madden cover:

Gronk is some clown, always havin d' craic!

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/post/_/id/7653356/vote-patriots-madden-play-round

"All the chicks, bro"

I'm voting for him after that. :D

Don't want to vote for my own team's players because of superstition. That and with the possibility of Manning coming in, Tebow being on the cover could be a little awkward :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

For some reason I can't imagine BB would be too happy with that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

Some Broncos suspensions - Ryan McBean and DJ Williams gone for 6 games each, Virgil Green for 4.

Some Broncos suspensions - Ryan McBean and DJ Williams gone for 6 games each, Virgil Green for 4.

Should cost them their jobs. Maybe DJ would survive but the timing of this will leave Elway completely incensed. Not only that but better replacements are available that just happen to be Peyton's buddies like Gary Brackett. We've actually filed tampering charges with the league for releasing this info just as manning happens to be in town as it's a bit too much of a coincidence for our liking.

Hardly anything to do with Manning - NFL seem to release these bits of news on Fridays anyway. It wasn't just Broncos players either, Brett Hartmann was also announced as suspended today.

DJ Williams was suspended for providing a "non-human" urine sample. Rofl.

Did they mix his up with Tebow's?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

On March 2, 2012, Cox was found not guilty of sexual assault charges in Douglas County, Colorado criminal court.

Perrish Cox CB, one of McDaniels selections and a fifth round pick

Looked a very promising young player. But then we thought he was facing two to ten years in jail and he had ruined his career and his life

But now I see he was found not guilty.

Do the Broncos still hold his rights?
    Is he coming back?

I'm going to read more about this, do you know spiralism?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Slightly gone off Gronk since that night he was out partying after the Superbowl and all.

*note: could be drink in me bullsh**ting.

Per The Denver Post:
    Broncos linebacker DJ Williams has released, through his agents and the Broncos, the following statement. It is posted here in its entirety:

STATEMENT OF D.J. WILLIAMS, LINEBACKER, DENVER BRONCOS

I understand from media reports today that the NFL has announced a suspension based on a specimen that the NFL acknowledges did not contain steroids or any illegal substance. Instead, the NFL contends that I provided a non-human specimen.

I have never failed a test of any kind — for steroids or illegal substances — during my eight-year pro career. I am proud of my record and proud of the way in which I conduct myself as a professional athlete and citizen. We proved — conclusively — at the NFL hearing on this matter that the NFL and its specimen collector wholly failed in their duties to safeguard and process my specimen properly.

In fact, the specimen collector was fired by the NFL after compromising my specimen as well as others’. The hearing officer, an NFL executive, ignored the NFL’s own Policy, engaged in inappropriate communications with top NFL officials about this matter without my knowledge or approval, corrupted the system, ignored that my specimen had been compromised, and now has subjected me to humiliation as well as suspension. We will be vigorously pursuing my rights in the judicial system.

My suspension is unjust; the NFL has undermined and corrupted its own steroid policy.

Interesting development if true.

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Perrish Cox CB, one of McDaniels selections and a fifth round pick

Looked a very promising young player. But then we thought he was facing two to ten years in jail and he had ruined his career and his life

But now I see he was found not guilty.

Do the Broncos still hold his rights?
    Is he coming back?

I'm going to read more about this, do you know spiralism?

Apparently the prosecution made a total balls of things. Basically he tapped some young one at a party when she was completely locked out of it and got her pregnant, with the child identified as his. Dunno how in the name of God he got out of that one. If he comes back it's not to us, he'd presumably want a fresh start somewhere else. Not only that but Thomas had to testify against him and all

• Advertisement

Hate to triple post but this deserves a posting:

attachment.php?attachmentid=30379&stc=1&d=1331358496

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/12/league-strips-cowboys-redskins-of-millions-in-cap-space/

Pretty significant (and harsh) penalties for the Cowboys and Redskins for 'cheating' the cap, in an uncapped year.
    How many millions? Schefter reports that the Cowboys will lose more than $10 million — and that the Redskins will lose $36 million.

$36m :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,887 ✭✭✭deisedude

Chad Ochocinco invited 100 random people to a free dinner with drinks in New York tonight on Facebook. What. A. Legend!

Cap space as of yesterday:

Bengals: $49.9 million under.
    Broncos: $44.7 million under.
    Buccaneers: $42.7 million under.
    Jaguars: $40.6 million under.
    Chiefs: $32.5 million under.
    Redskins: $31.1 million under.
    Bills: $30.8 million under.
    Seahawks: $29.8 million under.
    Titans: $28.1 million under.
    Bears: $22.6 million under.
    49ers: $21.8 million under.
    Browns: $17.4 million under.
    Patriots: $16.2 million under.
    Chargers: $14.9 million under.
    Ravens: $14.45 million under.
    Dolphins: $11.8 million under.
    Colts: $11.6 million under.
    Steelers: $10.5 million under.
    Eagles: $9.6 million under.
    Vikings: $7.9 million under.
    Jets: $7.1 million under.
    Falcons: $5.8 million under.
    Packers: $5.4 million under.
    Saints: $5.2 million under.
    Cowboys: $4.7 million under.
    Rams: $1.2 million under.
    Giants: $3.8 million over.
    Texans: $4.7 million over.
    Panthers: $5.3 million over.
    Raiders: $7.4 million over.
    Lions: $11.5 million over.
    Cardinals: $16.4 million over.

The Cowboys and Redskins are now over!!

Also how are the Cardinals suppose to pay Manning at $16m over...and even more also, how are they so rubbish when they have the most expensive team?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,887 ✭✭✭deisedude

Didn't realise my Bengals had that much cap space :eek: Ah shur might as well throw our hat in the ring for Manning aswell, only down the road from Indy so he wont have to move too far :pac:

Going to file this one under weird and wacky

The ref warning the home crowd to be quiet and then threatening to take away a time out if they didn't
    The ref was ignored, the crowd only got louder

But it seemed to be a rule on the books, I wasn't aware of that.

Fair enough if the home team are messing with the public address system or messing with the band as that's just low class but I didn't know they would warn the crowd

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

Hazys wrote: »
    Cap space as of yesterday:

This must have been calculated before the Colts cut half their roster surely.
    I know the Chargers will have another 9.3m to spend after they cut McNeill tomorrow

Ravens: $14.45 million under.

Looks good but we have:
    Ray Rice on a franchise tag and he should get a four year deal
    Not more then four years, it was sheer madness to sign Willis McGahee to six year deal. Very good player, crazy deal. No running back should get a six year deal

Flacco is looking for a deal, he can wait until next year

Ben Grubbs LG is crucial and needs a contract.

Ladarius Webb CB is a RFA and needs to be locked up

Matt Birk C will come back, won't be high but won't be low either. Two million, one year maybe

I wish we have the Bengals cap room :(

Oh I forgot, Danelle Ellerbe MLB is trash and deserves to be cut but him and Ray Lewis are the only MLB we have under contract

Jameel McClain MLB, Jarett Johnson OLB and Cory Redding DE will all be looking for big deals and we can't afford them all. They will be missed if they move on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Trippie

The cowboys and redskins arent over, nearly certain I read they have 3 years to make up the cap space how they feel, so can take a big hit right away or space it out.

Still a bit harsh imo

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement