Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using Commute for Training

Options
  • 03-12-2009 4:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭

At the moment most of my cycling is commuting. For 2009 I'll have cycled about 4,000km's of which about 3,000km's will have been commuting.

I want to get better at cycling and plan to do alot more for 2010, I've joined Swords Cycling Club and plan to go on their weekend spins (They roped me in to paying for the racing but I don't know if I'll do it, unsure of my ability).

My commute recently changed to a 50km round trip and for 2010 I plan to cycle it roughly 3 times a week.

Is there a way to use the commute to improve my cycling? ie. Using the commute home for intervals.

I commute on the fixie, should I use the road bike some of the days if doing intervals?

Any advice would be appreciated.

I've just realised this is probably more for the cycling forum....Mods move it if you like.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭LastGasp

Are you my cycling doppelganger or something ?

At the moment most of my cycling is commuting as it's winter, and hard to get out. For 2009 I'll have cycled about 4,000km's of which about 1000km's will have been commuting.

I want to get better at cycling and plan to do a good bit more for 2010. I'll be joining Orwell Wheelers Cycling Club and have started to go on their weekend spins when I can (I will get a CI Licence but I don't know if I'll do races, very unsure of my ability to keep up).

My commute is a 38km round trip and at the moment and for 2010 I an doing it 4 times a week.

I take it fairly handy going in as I don't have time to shower when I get there. I push the pace a bit on the way home, sprint off from the lights etc.

I commute on the fixie at the moment, seems to be working well, and save the road bike for the weekends.
    Vélo wrote: »
    At the moment most of my cycling is commuting. For 2009 I'll have cycled about 4,000km's of which about 3,000km's will have been commuting.

I want to get better at cycling and plan to do alot more for 2010, I've joined Swords Cycling Club and plan to go on their weekend spins (They roped me in to paying for the racing but I don't know if I'll do it, unsure of my ability).

My commute recently changed to a 50km round trip and for 2010 I plan to cycle it roughly 3 times a week.

Is there a way to use the commute to improve my cycling? ie. Using the commute home for intervals.

I commute on the fixie, should I use the road bike some of the days if doing intervals?

Any advice would be appreciated.

I've just realised this is probably more for the cycling forum....Mods move it if you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ryder

Those are pretty decent commuting distances. I train a lot on my fixie (77gi) but do intervals on the turbo. Dont have evidence to back this up, but think that intervals would be best done on a geared bike to get the cadence benefits, adjust for wind hills etc. Anyway, you could use your commutes home for a steady time trial tyre effort instead? Good luck

Advertisement