Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open University Distance Learning

Options
  • 03-12-2009 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi, I hope this isn't in the wrong section (sorry if it is) but I was wondering if any of the donegal users on boards are doing or have ever done courses with Open University or other distance learning?
    I'm looking into doing one at the moment as circumstances dictate I can't go full time into student life just yet. I was just curious about what to expect and what impressions others had.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭0lordy

Probably not the right forum, but I've done an MBA through the OU. While I can't compare it with other university courses, I would highly recommend it. The distance learning works well, you can fit it around your own schedule, and you do build up a good working relationship with classmates. There are generally tutorials in Dublin or Belfast to attend every few months, and indeed some courses have residentials over a weekend, which really are a great experience, both academically and socially!

The exams might be in Derry if you're lucky, or else it's again Belfast or Dublin.

Drop me a PM if you want more detail, I'd be happy to answer any questions you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭RMDrive

I just completed an MSc in Technology Management from the AUA (Atlantic University Alliance). The distance learning thing was fine. You'd definitely get more from a classroom environment but it allows you much more flexibility.
    The quality of the learning is just as good as a taught course however there's a bit more pressure on you to get it done.
    Good luck if you go ahead with it.

Advertisement