Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When is the best time to start breaking a horse

Options
  • 03-12-2009 4:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Hello all,

I have a two and a half year old sport horse filly at home she is around 16.1 H. I am wondering is she ready to be broken or should i leave her until she is a 3 year old which is may 2010 or does it make any real difference. What do ye think??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

What do you want to do with her? Are you going to keep her for yourself or sell her on after breaking or get someone to compete her?

Personally I'd leave it until springtime to back her and then bring her on over the summer. But if you want to sell her in the spring, it might be best to start working her after Christmas.

Really it just depends what you want from her and what suits you I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Martin252

Thanks for your fast reply. She is very well bred and i payed alot of money for her in the good old days so I,m going to be keeping her and competing her myself i think your rite there is no point in rushing her if shes not developed or ready for it. I started taking lessons 1 year ago and am jumping 1 meter now so hopefully i should be able to handler her and school her after she is broken. Hopefully

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭shanagarry

I feel quite strongly about not rushing horses into work. I prefer to go easy on them when they are young and reap the benefits by getting more out of them when they are older.

For a three year old I would do very little. Once she is bitted and maybe just lightly backed I would turn her away again. I don't believe in breaking younger than four, and even then I will take it easy. I'm from a show jumping background, but I don't have much time for young irlander and the like.

If you don't feel sufficiently comfortable, do get someone good in to ride her in the early days, even if it costs. The initial schooling is crucial.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Martin252

Ok thats good advice

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

shanagarry wrote: »
    I feel quite strongly about not rushing horses into work. I prefer to go easy on them when they are young and reap the benefits by getting more out of them when they are older.

For a three year old I would do very little. Once she is bitted and maybe just lightly backed I would turn her away again. I don't believe in breaking younger than four, and even then I will take it easy. I'm from a show jumping background, but I don't have much time for young irlander and the like.

If you don't feel sufficiently comfortable, do get someone good in to ride her in the early days, even if it costs. The initial schooling is crucial.
    +1 On all this.
    Just to add my 2pence worth. Its amazing how the art of longreining has been forgotten by so many people. If you know someone who will spend time long reining her doing things like just going out around an open field, thru water, up and down little banks and across small ditches it will stand to her so much in the long run.

• Advertisement
Advertisement