Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lost my genuine Windows XP Home CD, replacement?

• 03-12-2009 5:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭

So I lost my Genuine Windows XP Home CD. I still have the serial key. How do I obtain a new one from Microsoft? I'm trying to find it on their website but keep getting directed to a page where they want to charge me 72 EUR to ask a question.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

I am not sure if you can get if for free from Microsoft.

If you still have the serial (if its installed on your machine it can easily be found) then search on google, find a good source, download, burn it on a cd and for reinstallations use your legal key.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Yah, I still have the serial.

I'd rather not download an untested ISO and would rather know the one I'm getting is genuine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,015 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Who is your desktop manufacturer? They normally keep restore discs which you can buy.

It was a retail copy which makes it even more annoying !

Well anything I suggest from this point would probably be illegal (though not likely to be unethical) Your only other option is to find a friend who has the XP Home Retail Version CD.

• Advertisement

I can get the illegal solutions handy enough but I'd rather an original disk etc. I guess I'll keep battling on.

Thanks anyway.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

try ebay or adverts.ie :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 689 ✭✭✭tudlytops

You can't get it from them without paying, that's how they make their money.

But if you have the nr, it should be on your PC, you can use anyone's CD, but you will have to go on the internet to find the drivers for your PC, I'm assuming you need to reinstall windows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Get a friend with an MSDN subscription to download a copy of the XP SP3 iso and give it to you. At least now you know it's clean and untampered.

Yes, it can be frowned upon but you've legally owned a copy of the software before, and not having the install disc shouldn't prevent you from using that license IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 689 ✭✭✭tudlytops

I reinstall systems all the time on PC's that people have lost their CD's, just borrow an original CD from someone you trust and use the Key on your PC, nothing illegal about this.

then go on the internet and get the drivers.

• Advertisement

Where in msdn is it? Someone is telling me they can't find it.

Can you give me a link assuming you have access too? I'll get someone with a password to download it then.

Thanks.

Its in the protected/secured MSDN somewhere. Not the public list. You need to have a subscription to the MSDN to get it.

Its not an option, unless you know someone at an IT or in a Corporation. Those subscriptions go for Thousands.

Deleted

Theres actually a delete button on the Edit Pane for that.

Overheal wrote: »
    Theres actually a delete button on the Edit Pane for that.
    Not on the mobile theme there isn't :(

Advertisement