Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Alternative to Print Catalogues?

• 03-12-2009 5:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41

Hi

I'm setting up a webshop but from potential customer feed back it has been suggested that a paper catalogue would be needed as well - not all my customers will be happy browsing a webshop.

Does anybody have any suggestions on a way around having to print off paper catalogues - and the associated costs.

The webshop will have over 70,000 parts so i wouldnt be able to include them all in a printed catalogue anyway.

Somebody has suggested a digital catalogue on a cd that the customer can browse on their own computer (off line) or even print off themselves.

What do you think?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭blue4ever

I worked in the directory business, print.

Volume - that's always a problem. The only thing I can suggest is that you 'replicate' the site on cd/dvd - however that's the same as going online!

Find out the objection to online first and see if there is an alternative.

70,00 parts at say 20 a page = 3,500pg - that's a serious book = expensive.

I would start back at the customers, what's their want, input, technical vice and start from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 iddy

blue4ever wrote: »

Find out the objection to online first and see if there is an alternative.....

70,00 parts at say 20 a page = 3,500pg - that's a serious book = expensive.

A lot of my potential customers just are not comfortable with using the internet but most seem to be ok with looking at a catalogue on a cd/dvd - just as long as it launches itself once it's put in the drive.

The print catalogue will have to be restricted to just a sample of what we offer - categories of items with some examples rather than a full listing.

Any idea of rough costing on a small run (talking 100's rather than 1000's)of catalogues similar to the viking direct one? about 50/60 pages A4?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭blue4ever

I couldn't help you there, but a low print run = v expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Pixelcraft

iddy wrote: »
    A lot of my potential customers just are not comfortable with using the internet but most seem to be ok with looking at a catalogue on a cd/dvd - just as long as it launches itself once it's put in the drive.

The print catalogue will have to be restricted to just a sample of what we offer - categories of items with some examples rather than a full listing.

Any idea of rough costing on a small run (talking 100's rather than 1000's)of catalogues similar to the viking direct one? about 50/60 pages A4?

100's isn't going to be an option, unless you won't mind spending 20 a pop. What's 'a lot of my potential customers' ? is it a worthwhile venture setting up an online store in the first place if that's true?

• Company Representative Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭TheCostumeShop.ie: Ronan

I agree with PixelCraft,

Viking and the likes run catalogs every few months to keep them relevant. I would imagine you would loose customers very quickly if they decide on a product from a catalog that is now discontinued and risk getting a bad reputation

At the end of the day it comes down to how much profit per customer will a catalog customer generate and is the increased cost of doing business with them worth the effort. Online orders and invoicing is automated, offline is more labour intensive.

You could run some small 4 page offer sheets (like the ones you pick up in aldi on the way it) - that might drive them to the website to buy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41 iddy

You could run some small 4 page offer sheets (like the ones you pick up in aldi on the way it) - that might drive them to the website to buy.

Great suggestion! Can't believe i didn't think of it myself - D'oh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 PHONiC.ie

Yeah, I would try and steer clear of the brochures. If you have your website and its a good one, commit to it and drive them towards it. The cd seems like the exact same thing, doesnt it?

Advertisement