Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

supporting England @ world cup

• 03-12-2009 5:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭

I for one will be. When I was younger I never would in fact I supported anybody but them but I really hope they win it.

I think their reaction to THAT handball really impressed me. They kept it in the media and were very supportive.

I really just want to know are you going to?

Look forward to LOI boys telling fans of English teams we have to.

Do you want England to win the world cup? 84 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 84 votes

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

I dont want them too simply because we will have to hear about it for next 50 years and there is teams who play better football who i'd like to see win. Don't mind if they do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭DoireNod

Their media and any media for that matter will put out stories that will sell newspapers. I don't think they really care that much. I'll never support England, why should we? I don't think England deserves our support because their media spun out a few stories and sold a few extra copies of paper. We have our own country and we aren't at the World Cup, so I won't be supporting anyone in the World Cup - that's not to say I won't watch it. In international football though, I'll not be supporting anyone other than Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

i voted no.

purely because i would like Spain to win first.

but i don't mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

While Ireland's qualification was not guaranteed had france not scored that goal, the treatment we have had from FIFA as an organisation is enough to ensure I will be boycotting the World Cup. It has no validity for me.

But, all other things being equal, I would support France or any other country before I'd support England.

You're a Man U fan, would you ever support Man City in the Champion's League when your club are not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Where's the "I couldn't give a flying fuck either way" option?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Seeing as im English and support the team I may as well vote yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭liamygunner29

so far no one has doesn't want them to win it based on the fact their England?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I don't care, I'll be up for Germany though!

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

nipplenuts wrote: »
    While Ireland's qualification was not guaranteed had france not scored that goal, the treatment we have had from FIFA as an organisation is enough to ensure I will be boycotting the World Cup. It has no validity for me.

But, all other things being equal, I would support France or any other country before I'd support England.

You're a Man U fan, would you ever support Man City in the Champion's League when your club are not?

I wanted Liverpool to win in the Champions League final in '05.

I'm a utd supporter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭In_tuition

I wouldn't go as far to say that I want them to win.

Would prefer to see the best nation win, if that's them so well and good.

I'd watch their matches with interest. I lived in their country for 8 years and not once had one of them a bad word to say about mine. If they are good enough I'll applaud them.

I think Serbia will win :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

Nope. I would prefer other teams to win it.

And before anyone comes out with the lame argument that because you support Liverpool, ManU etc you are automatically obliged to support England consider this:

Arsenal fans from Ireland don't start support Tottenham all of a sudden just because their team has been knocked out of the FA Cup and Robbie Keane plays for them. Sure they support Robbie when he plays for Ireland, but not when he plays for Tottenham. By the same reasoning, Irish Liverpool fans cheer on Steven Gerard when he play for Liverpool but not when he plays for England.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Xavi6 wrote: »

Pretty much this. I won't be unsupporting them but they're just another foreign country among 32.

Its right underneath the " if i dont care,why am I here making comments" option

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Being a quarter English, COME ON ENGLAND!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

I think supporting England makes sense if you follow the Premier League. I think objections to it don't make sense - unless you object to supporting Premier League clubs too, as plenty of people here seem to.
    Personally, I usually support Germany or the Netherlands if Ireland aren't in a competition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

I want Italy or Spain to win it, so thats one reason why I voted no.
    It's England, that's another reason.
    If they do win it we'll never hear the end of it, my final reason.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

p_larkin99 wrote: »
    Seeing as im English and support the team I may as well vote yes.
    How do you HONESTLY think you lot will do? Are you buying into the this is our year lark?

I can see heartbreak brought on by yourselves as usual!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Its right underneath the " if i dont care,why am I here making comments" option

Hmmmm it seems you forgot to include that one as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

I would very much like for england to knock france out 3-0.

The first, a wayne rooney 'drogbaesque' dive to win a penalty.
    Number 2, a jermaine defoe strike where he was 25 yards offside.

And finally, henry to miskick a clearence from a corner which is then 'punched' into the net by peter crouch.

Karma restored.

England to then bottle it against the germans in the semi final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Will I support the English football team? Yes
    Do I want them to win it? Not necessarily.

As stated before, the world will never hear the end of it if they do - we still hear about 1966 FFS!

But it would be incredibly hypocritical of someone like me, who supports a Premier League Team, not to support the national side my club's players play for.

Saying that, I will also be supporting Spain - and DO hope they win it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I don't want them to because I don't particularly like their style of football and they haven't really many exciting players bar Rooney.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Always have done, after Ireland obviously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭VinylJunkie

Most people on here support English teams week in week out so I don't see why they wouldn't support them in the world cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 340 ✭✭ADTR

No.

CHD wrote: »
    How do you HONESTLY think you lot will do? Are you buying into the this is our year lark?

I can see heartbreak brought on by yourselves as usual!

lark, lol!

Honestly I think it will go the same way it usually does and we all know the criteria by now.

I think going into the tournament there will be (and somewhat rightly so) talk of us having a chance. The problem though is that a lot of people will be getting carried away with themselves in England and a good few idiots think we will be the favourites - LOL, watch other leagues please!!

Id say itll be us getting out of the group, probably topping it, and then maybe getting through the next round. Then we will come up against a good team and as usual be beaten.

JUST PLEASE NOT ON ****ING PENNOS!

oh, and we wont play good football!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭deisedude

I won't be supporting England but thats because i always cheer for the underdog. Honduras FTW:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I would also hope that the Irish reaction around HenryGate have put to bed the guff about If England win it, we'll never hear the end of it.

The premier league is marketed as a global franchise so why is it hypocritical not to support them?

Is it not just as hypocritical if your team is made up of players from a certain nation (Arsenal 4 years ago with France) not to support them?

My team Arsenal has 1 English player in the 1st team and chances are he won't be at world cup so why woud that make me support England? Its not like I give a ****e bout any other team in the league. Its Arsenal I support not the premiership.

Most people on here support English teams week in week out so I don't see why they wouldn't support them in the world cup.

This does my head in and I know its not just you who has said this.

An Irish person supporting United has no obligation to support England. Its completely different supporting the English national team to a club team. Fair enough some people may support them but it should not be because they support a club from the English league.

I've no doubt that some will look out for their club players which is fair enough and some go with the 'its our neighbours' etc which again is fair enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

You mean the Atari Jaguar vote?

This does my head in and I know its not just you who has said this.

An Irish person supporting United has no obligation to support England. Its completely different supporting the English national team to a club team. Fair enough some people may support them but it should not be because they support a club from the English league.

I've no doubt that some will look out for their club players which is fair enough and some go with the 'its our neighbours' etc which again is fair enough.

There is a difference, but that person clearly would have a preference for English football if the club they support is in England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,950 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Having an English birth cert, I wouldn't mind too much. After all, they gave my mother much better after birth service when compared to the Irish one after my sister was born!

It wouldn't bother me really...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

Yes. And I'll also be supporting Spain and Holland. When 2 of those teams play against each other (and I'm pretty sure they will), I'll just be looking forward to a great match.

Ush1 wrote: »
    There is a difference, but that person clearly would have a preference for English football if the club they support is in England.

This has no influence over the national team at all.

The English league is not the English national team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Badly phrased question , I don't want them to win it,As I don't want any team to win it really , Would I be bothered if they win ? No , In fact I'd quite like to see them win it as I know a lot of people from there and they're all decent folk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

I wanted Liverpool to win in the Champions League final in '05.

I'm a utd supporter.

Oh good god :eek:

If it was the other way around I would never ever support United.

This has no influence over the national team at all.

The English league is not the English national team.

Of course it does?? Most of the English national team play in English clubs.

Obviously the English league is not the English national team but that's where their players were born, raised, learned and play their football for the most part.

joe123 wrote: »
    Oh good god :eek:

If it was the other way around I would never ever support United.

Yeah I just cannot understand this at all but thats for another thread. Enough Utd-Pool crap around these parts.

I am not fussed about it but the fact that their media would talk about it until I am dead & buried would make me say no. I have a funny feeling they're going to do well in the tournament. Since I've been around I've never seen them have a better squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

I like the Premier League so, yes, I hope they do well, but I'll be supporting the team that plays the best football so probably Spain. :)

• Advertisement

Of course it does?? Most of the English national team play in English clubs.

but they dont support the english league, they support a club there.
    Obviously the English league is not the English national team but that's where their players were born, raised, learned and play their football for the most part.

For me this has SFA to do with anything. I really think you need to separate a clubs identity with that of the national team whose league they are in.

but they dont support the english league, they support a club there.

For me this has SFA to do with anything. I really think you need to separate a clubs identity with that of the national team whose league they are in.

Sorry, if you support a team from that league, you DO support that league. Why would you support that club otherwise? You would take preference to support a club from a league you don't like?

It has SFA to do anything? Right, I suppose that's why Ireland play like they do and Spain plays like they do.:rolleyes:

Sorry, if you support a team from that league, you DO support that league. Why would you support that club otherwise? You would take preference to support a club from a league you don't like?

Well it looks like we just think differently. I do not support the premier league, I support one and only one club from that. My sole interest is Man Utd. When other clubs get to European finals I dont care if they win and If theyre a big rival I would prefer the other team to win.

e.g. in 05, I wanted Milan to beat Pool. Same applied 2 years later.
    It has SFA to do anything? Right, I suppose that's why Ireland play like they do and Spain plays like they do.:rolleyes:

I think you misunderstood what I was getting at. Im not talking about a style of football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 411 ✭✭fkt

Can you imagine having to listen to the English Cockney media, SSN or Richard keys if they win?

I absolutely despise London FC and one of the highlights of 2010 is going to be them getting kocked out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

I'll be supporting any team that play England. I hope they get stuffed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

I should...
    I'll try...
    But ultimately I won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

Think of everything that is English:

Martin Johnson.
    Lawerence Dallaglio
    John Terry
    Joe Cole
    Shrek (Wayne Rooney)
    The Rag that is The Sun
    Magie Tatcher
    Cockney rhyming slang
    The Queen
    Their Anthem "God Save the Queen"
    Big Ears

Not a chance, now that Ireland are no longer invloved the only interest i will have in the World Cup is England and watching them fail miserably..which they inevitably do.
    Seen them playing the Brazil B team there recently and tehy tore them apart,should and could have been 5-0.
    Great satisfaction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 411 ✭✭fkt

I can't stand the FA, the referee's assosiation, cockney press etc., but I still support Liverpool.

You don't choose who you support.

Well it looks like we just think differently. I do not support the premier league, I support one and only one club from that. My sole interest is Man Utd. When other clubs get to European finals I dont care if they win and If theyre a big rival I would prefer the other team to win.

e.g. in 05, I wanted Milan to beat Pool. Same applied 2 years later.

I think you misunderstood what I was getting at. Im not talking about a style of football.

Well, style of football is dictated by the domestic league. It's no coincidence that the Serie A and Italian national team are historically branded as defensive, most of there league is made up of Italians. Likewise the English league being "physical" and the idea of the traditional English centre foward, hence Emile Heskey starting for England NT. There is massive link between domestic leagues and the national team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

whycliff wrote: »
    This of everything English:

Martin Johnson.
    Lawerence Dallaglio
    John Terry
    Joe Cole
    Shrek (Wayne Rooney)
    The Rag that is The Sun
    Magie Tatcher
    Cockney rhyming slang
    The Queen