Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

supporting England @ world cup

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

Ush1 wrote: »
    Well, style of football is dictated by the domestic league. It's no coincidence that the Serie A and Italian national team are historically branded as defensive, most of there league is made up of Italians. Likewise the English league being "physical" and the idea of the traditional English centre foward, hence Emile Heskey starting for England NT. There is massive link between domestic leagues and the national team.

How do you explain Brazil, all there players are playing in foreign leagues?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 411 ✭✭fkt

whycliff wrote: »
    This of everything English:

Martin Johnson.
    Lawerence Dallaglio
    John Terry
    Joe Cole
    Shrek (Wayne Rooney)
    The Rag that is The Sun
    Magie Tatcher
    Cockney rhyming slang

Not a chance, now that Ireland are no longer invloved the only interest i will have in the World Cup is England and watching them fail miserably..which they inevitably do.
    Seen them playing the Brazil B team there recently and tehy tore them apart,should and could have been 5-0.
    Great satisfaction.

It was the English B team, just so you know. Brazil had a relatively strong team out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 411 ✭✭fkt

Manchester United
    Liverpool FC
    Arsenal FC
    You're so witty. Have us all in stitches. Well in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Manchester United
    Liverpool FC
    Arsenal FC

Swift had it nailed down: Burn all that's British except for their coal teams.. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

I wanted Liverpool to win in the Champions League final in '05.

I'm a utd supporter.

not a real one......:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

It is ok to hate other countries by the way, The Polish hate the Germans, The English Hate the Germans,The Germans hate the English.
    The Latvians hate the Lithuanians and vice versa.
    Why is it that when I or someone else who is Irish state they hate the English, we're accused of living in the past and all this crap?
    I've nothing against the English people as a whole, i just enjoy immensely seeing there sports stars fail

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Julez

Yeah, I'd like to see them do well only they wouldn't stop going on about it forever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Ive nothing angainst the English Team itself...I just dont want them to win because of their scum fans and stupid media.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Ush1 wrote: »
    Well, style of football is dictated by the domestic league. It's no coincidence that the Serie A and Italian national team are historically branded as defensive, most of there league is made up of Italians. Likewise the English league being "physical" and the idea of the traditional English centre foward, hence Emile Heskey starting for England NT. There is massive link between domestic leagues and the national team.

Ì am in no way talking about style of football. Its completely irrelevant when talking about having to support England because you support a team from the English league.

edit:
    didnt take long for this thread to turn to ****.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

Haha the English like to see us do well but the feeling is never mutual. :D How many people here like watching English football?

Although I'd prefer not to hear a chorus of "Rule Britannia". :o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

yeah i have a few friends from there and its always been a nice place to visit. want gerrard to win it too :) + im going to put a sly bet on them. i think with capello there they are going to be very competitive. semi-finals at least

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

fkt wrote: »
    I can't stand the FA, the referee's assosiation, cockney press etc., but I still support Liverpool.

You don't choose who you support.

So who chose who you support? Unless you're from Liverpool or somehow "forced" to support them.

They learned to play in Brazil and in their domestic league, they were good players before they left.

p_larkin99 wrote: »
    Ì am in no way talking about style of football. Its completely irrelevant when talking about having to support England because you support a team from the English league.

edit:
    didnt take long for this thread to turn to ****.

I never said have to support England, I said a preference for English football, not irrelevant.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Think of everything that is English:

Martin Johnson.
    Lawerence Dallaglio
    John Terry
    Joe Cole
    Shrek (Wayne Rooney)
    The Rag that is The Sun
    Magie Tatcher
    Cockney rhyming slang
    The Queen
    Their Anthem "God Save the Queen"
    Big Ears

Not a chance, now that Ireland are no longer invloved the only interest i will have in the World Cup is England and watching them fail miserably..which they inevitably do.
    Seen them playing the Brazil B team there recently and tehy tore them apart,should and could have been 5-0.
    Great satisfaction.

You do realise England only had about 2 first choice players in the starting 11? And Brazil fielded a very strong 11? But of course you happily ignore that. Plus England were the better team for a good part of the game.

You obviously just saw what you wanted to see. You don't own this by any chance?

• Advertisement

not a real one......:mad:
    Cry me a river.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭chiefwiggum

yeah i think i'd like them to win it..alright their media will live on it for the next 50 years but our supported club teams are english(mainly) so we know the players..its time to forget the anyone but england thing....its now anyone but FRANCE lol... number 2 to 11 are probably the best team man for man at the moment...gk is a prob though for them.. maybe paul robinson should get another chance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

yeah i think i'd like them to win it..alright their media will live on it for the next 50 years but our supported club teams are english(mainly) so we know the players..its time to forget the anyone but england thing....its now anyone but FRANCE lol... number 2 to 11 are probably the best team man for man at the moment...gk is a prob though for them.. maybe paul robinson should get another chance
    i agree with your sentiments and i will be happy to see England do well in the competition. It would be nice to see a different nation win it rather than the same old France, Brazil or Italian victory. Robinson no way though, he's been good of late for Blackburn but is prone to making the most elimentary of errors! Ditto David James. I'd stick with Green as the number 1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Martin Johnson.
    Lawerence Dallaglio
    John Terry
    Joe Cole
    Shrek (Wayne Rooney)
    The Rag that is The Sun
    Magie Tatcher
    Cockney rhyming slang
    The Queen
    Big Ears

Leaving out the amount of positive things they have done in the past including inventing the game and what in gods name could you have against Joe Cole

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Bubs101 wrote: »
    Leaving out the amount of positive things they have done in the past including inventing the game and what in gods name could you have against Joe Cole

He's a snake, started his career at West Ham, then he went and joined Chelsea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

I really don't buy this whole "media" argument as a reason. I even have heard people say well their commentators are too one sided during matches as a reason, I take it no one was watching RTE for the French match then.

Our media are just the same when it comes to football or rugby.

Would have loved to see Sir Bobby win it for them back in 1990.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I remember the 2002 World cup when I was living in London, it amazed me the amount of pubs that were flying the Irish flag outside with the English flag. I found that most of the English would automatically support the Ireland team, which is pretty decent. We however are not as generous, a lot of people need to get over the inferiority complex. I personally just can't stomach the old aggressive imperialistic chants of 'Rule Britannia' and the like etc. Their media is another reason for turning one's stomach, they seemed to be perpetually amazed as to why they don't win it. Bear in mind their only victory in 1966, was a home town decision where the Germans were controversially robbed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

He's a snake, started his career at West Ham, then he went and joined Chelsea.
    You mean because he wanted to compete at the top level he is a snake? Grow up will you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

I hope they loose all three group games and Capello gets dressed in the front of some seedy tabloid in a turnip suit. Argentina all the way in South Africa for me.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭DoireNod

Maybe now, but a fair few still play in Brazil.

Sure look at the great Brazil teams.

Garrincha, Pelé, Jairzinho, Zico and Carlos Alberto spent most if not all of their careers in Brazil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,517 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

As much sense as it should make to want one of our closest neighbours to win it I just cant bring myself to agree.
    Not because of the people of England, or the players, but the media. You'd just never hear the end of it. It might sound childish but the thoughts of the media reaction turns my stomach to the extent that I don't ever want to see them win it.

Glazers Out!

Can people expand on the media thing, because I don't understand that, as I said the Irish media are the same with Irish teams, is it because it would get wide coverage (rightly so) in the UK media and as we get the UK media their would be a jeaslousy element that England have won and we have not.

If they won it (and they have a good outside chance) we would never hear the end of it. I can see it now. 24hr 7 days a week coverage on Sky news about Engerlands glorious triumph in South Africa. I would be forced to go live on a deserted island for a period no less than 5 years.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Bandit12 wrote: »
    If they won it (and they have a good outside chance) we would never hear the end of it. I can see it now. 24hr 7 days a week coverage on Sky news about Engerlands glorious triumph in South Africa. I would be forced to go live on a deserted island for a period no less than 5 years.
    Or you could not watch sky news..

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

I hope they don't win it for the simple fact that SSN and most of the papers will be harping on about it for a good year.

Tbh, I think they have fcuk all chance of winning it.

I do find it amusing though the way the english media build them up as potential winners of every tournament.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Il do as I always do. Support them up to around the quarter finals. The only reason I dont want to see them winning the thing is because of their media. Much like dublin in the GAA the media just NEVER shut up about them.

Although im looking forward to seeing France getting a hammering this year. If it was an England France final Id be shouting on England all day long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Why would any fan - never mind a fan of Ireland - want such an ungracious bunch of sore losers to experience the ultimate joy in football?

As a United fan I know all too well how they have made scapegoats out of their own players when their team has crumbled collectively as a unit under the weight of ridiculous expectation. Look at the targets that have met the wrath of their deluded media - Southgate, Beckham (the abuse he and his wife got was unbelievably disgraceful), Rooney, Ronaldo (wow he winked let's crucify him). How about that referee after Euro 2004 I think?

I haven't even got into the managers which would take even longer.

Just picture the day before England versus Germany in the 2010 Final. You'd have The Sun printing a front page feature with Churchill and a cigar emblazoned "This Will Be Our Finest Hour".

No f*cking thanks.

I also don't buy into this "They would wish us well" malarkey. I've read plenty of comments from England fans rubbing it in that we missed out in the cruel manner in which we did. "Get over it, enjoy it on TV" etc. I will root for them if they play France but that is it. I would rather see Spain or Australia do well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Why would any fan - never mind a fan of Ireland - want such an ungracious bunch of sore losers to experience the ultimate joy in football?

As a United fan I know all too well how they have made scapegoats out of their own players when their team has crumbled collectively as a unit under the weight of ridiculous expectation. Look at the targets that have met the wrath of their deluded media - Southgate, Beckham (the abuse he and his wife got was unbelievably disgraceful), Rooney, Ronaldo (wow he winked let's crucify him). How about that referee after Euro 2004 I think?

I haven't even got into the managers which would take even longer.

Just picture the day before England versus Germany in the 2010 Final. You'd have The Sun printing a front page feature with Churchill and a cigar emblazoned "This Will Be Our Finest Hour".

No f*cking thanks.

I also don't buy into this "They would wish us well" malarkey. I've read plenty of comments from England fans rubbing it in that we missed out in the cruel manner in which we did. "Get over it, enjoy it on TV" etc. I will root for them if they play France but that is it. I would rather see Spain or Australia do well.

Exactly, f*ck al this touchy feely "wish them well" boll*x.

I'll laugh loud and hard when they inevitably fail.

Possibly after years of us rubbing it into them they are getting their own back.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭bUILDERtHEbOB

I hope they go out to an Henry hand ball, would be interesting to see the reaction.

I hope they go out to an Henry hand ball, would be interesting to see the reaction.

You still won't see it brought up in the Houses of parliament like we did here :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Don't mind either way tbh, only reason I would go against them is the crazy media hype.

I'd prefer Holland to win or Brazil.

But I will however be supporting this man

wayne-rooney.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

I voted yes simply because they've some great players that i think deserve it.

I'd love to see the likes of Rooney, Gerrard, Lampard, Terry with world cup medals simply cos i think they're absolutely amazing. However my yes could turn to a no if Rio is there just cos i think he's ridiculously overrated and the media ram rio down your throat even though terry is ten times the player he is

Iang87 wrote: »
    I voted yes simply because they've some great players that i think deserve it.

I'd love to see the likes of Rooney, Gerrard, Lampard, Terry with world cup medals simply cos i think they're absolutely amazing. However my yes could turn to a no if Rio is there just cos i think he's ridiculously overrated and the media ram rio down your throat even though terry is ten times the player he is
    Chelsea fan?

Made me lol.

• Advertisement

Lol at anyone who will support Engerland because Rooney,Gerrard,Terry whoever play for them. I'll be hoping to see Stevie G crying like a baby when they get knocked out when they meet the first decent side they play.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

mars bar wrote: »
    Having an English birth cert, I wouldn't mind too much. After all, they gave my mother much better after birth service when compared to the Irish one after my sister was born!

It wouldn't bother me really...

err, the care you receive after having a baby is called post natal care...after birth is something completely different:D
    fkt wrote: »
    Can you imagine having to listen to the English Cockney media, SSN or Richard keys if they win?

I absolutely despise London FC and one of the highlights of 2010 is going to be them getting kocked out.

so if England win the world cup, you will be tied to a television set and forced to watch English TV?

Martin Johnson.
    Lawerence Dallaglio
    John Terry
    Joe Cole
    Shrek (Wayne Rooney)
    The Rag that is The Sun
    Magie Tatcher
    Cockney rhyming slang
    The Queen
    Big Ears

Great satisfaction.

and that, Gentlemen, proves OPENROAD's point above.
    Ive nothing angainst the English Team itself...I just dont want them to win because of their scum fans and stupid media.

I'm not Scum and I know lots of other England fans, several of whom post of here, that are not scum as well.

Maybe if England get into the semi finals even though they only manage to score one goal, I wonder if the BBC will release a ten year commemorative DVD, or maybe sky will show reruns of an old game to celebrate 25 years of beating a very poor German side 1-0.

Or maybe our media isn't that ****ing pathetic after all.

I love all the excuses for not wanting England to win. it has nothing to do with the media, or the fans or the style of football, those people who are looking forward to England failing are just suffering from small man syndrome.

Maybe if England get into the semi finals even though they only manage to score one goal, I wonder if the BBC will release a ten year commemorative DVD, or maybe sky will show reruns of an old game to celebrate 25 years of beating a very poor German side 1-0.

Or maybe our media isn't that ****ing pathetic after all.

I love all the excuses for not wanting England to win. it has nothing to do with the media, or the fans or the style of football, those people who are looking forward to England failing are just suffering from small man syndrome.

LOL. Climb down off that high horse. Are we supposed to believe if Germany, Argentina, or Scotland were playing that the English nation would come together to a man by rooting them all on in the spirit of goodwill? Do me a favour. Is that small man syndrome too I wonder? Or is it 'not wanting your rivals to do well' syndrome?

If you want to see how pathetic your media is just go watch Wimbledon in the summer and listen to the drooling over Andy Murray.

When it comes to media sycophancy, England can't be beat.

LOL. Climb down off that high horse. Are we supposed to believe if Germany, Argentina, or Scotland were playing that the English nation would come together to a man by rooting them all on in the spirit of goodwill? Do me a favour. Is that small man syndrome too I wonder? Or is it 'not wanting your rivals to do well' syndrome?

If you want to see how pathetic your media is just go watch Wimbledon in the summer and listen to the drooling over Andy Murray.

When it comes to media sycophancy, England can't be beat.

The majority of people in England couldn't give a monkey's chuff about any of those teams you mentioned. There would be very few people wanting them to either win or lose.

the media is pathetic, but just as pathetic as the Irish media is. Maybe you could give us some idea what the French, Italian or German media is like? or is it that you don't share a language with them and therefore don't watch their media?

Chelsea fan?

Made me lol.

truly hilarious. Liverpool fan. Take it you're a united fan

Iang87 wrote: »
    truly hilarious. Liverpool fan. Take it you're a united fan
    Yep, and an England fan, and I'd have Rio over Terry any day.

To say Terry is 10 times the player Rio is is utterly ridiculous.

• Advertisement

fair enough thats merely matter of opinion. I was a bit drastic with the ten times but i'd prefer Terry.

I guess i have a grudge against Rio cos when Carra and Terry were the undisputed best two in England around 04, 05 and 06 Rio was still gettin picked ahead of Carra at Centre back

The majority of people in England couldn't give a monkey's chuff about any of those teams you mentioned. There would be very few people wanting them to either win or lose.

the media is pathetic, but just as pathetic as the Irish media is. Maybe you could give us some idea what the French, Italian or German media is like? or is it that you don't share a language with them and therefore don't watch their media?

The majority of people in England might not care but we both know the majority of England FANS would care very much and would love to see Argentina, Germany and Scotland get stuffed by whoever they were playing. Just like the majority of Irish fans want to see England get stuffed.

As for the media issue, I don't think the Irish media is as bad as the English media to be honest, though I'd have no love for either, but the English media is legendary when it comes to scraping the barrel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

I wasn't there in a World Cup or Euro year but I lived in italy at the tail end of a Serie A campaign and the year AC won the CL and all I can say is if anything they're worse when it comes to the media in sports. There are 3 sports based papers each with their own bias and no pictures of Keeley hazel, all give their own views on everything (the worst probably being the rating of referees) and the demand for the game was so much so that the Under 21 championships/Olympic Qualification tournament was on national TV and then on Thursday night they replayed every game in Italy's World Cup win the year before

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,950 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

err, the care you receive after having a baby is called post natal care...after birth is something completely different:D

:o And I am one of "the wimmin" species as ye like to call it!

Shame on me.

The majority of people in England might not care but we both know the majority of England FANS would care very much and would love to see Argentina, Germany and Scotland get stuffed by whoever they were playing. Just like the majority of Irish fans want to see England get stuffed.

you obviously know something i don't. Beating Germany or Argentina would be important, but more for footballing reasons than anything else. they are our peers.

There may be a degree of schadenfreude in watching bitter scotsmen crying into their tennants, but seeing Scotland lose isn't exactly an uncommon event is it?
    As for the media issue, I don't think the Irish media is as bad as the English media to be honest, though I'd have no love for either, but the English media is legendary when it comes to scraping the barrel.

The Englsih media ia a pain in the arse, but it is the "English" media. An Irishman who finds it offensive should really stick to RTE tbh.

• Advertisement
Advertisement