Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

supporting England @ world cup

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Most people on here support English teams week in week out so I don't see why they wouldn't support them in the world cup.

My English club only has about two English players and one of them probably won't established as first team/backup (Jack Wilshere) so that rules that reason out,
    I hope to see them do well though, Up for the Netherlands :D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

you obviously know something i don't. Beating Germany or Argentina would be important, but more for footballing reasons than anything else. they are our peers.

There may be a degree of schadenfreude in watching bitter scotsmen crying into their tennants, but seeing Scotland lose isn't exactly an uncommon event is it?

All I'll say is I think I know the mindset of the average football fan and I would have to disagree that the average England fan's mindset is as you describe. Liverpool are not exactly United's peers at this precise moment in time but you can be sure United fans still love seeing them lose. It's because of the rivalry involved.

I am aware too that the English media are not representative of every English person, however when it comes to the representation of sport the media's influence is fairly significant and does carry a lot of weight. So too do journalists. Thus when the likes of Lineker, Hansen, Keys, Gray, Wright etc feed the hype machine it is bound to have an adverse effect on those who aren't going to fall for it, ie the Scots, the Welsh and the Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

God almighty hasn't anyone spotted the nonsense of moaning about the English media in England? You watch it/read it/listen to it, so you better put up with it.

Seriously grow up and get over yourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

I cannot wait to see England fail miserably, i will be shouting for everyone they play including France.
    I dont have to and i wont justify it to anyone.
    The only people in the world that like to see England do well is the English, so dont take it personal.

On the Wimbledon subject. Henman Hill.... Murray Field... i mean come on FFS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

mike65 wrote:
    God almighty hasn't anyone spotted the nonsense of moaning about the English media in England? You watch it/read it/listen to it, so you better put up with it.

Seriously grow up and get over yourselves.

Where is the nonsense? We watch, read and listen to the Irish media as well and I think most of us would say that RTE have on plenty of occasions produced shoddy efforts of journalism, sporting or otherwise. Should we put up with that as well?

The idea of having to put up with poorly conceived views is ridiculous in fairness. If Garth Crooks talks out of his backside on the BBC we are quite entitled to call him out on the rubbish he spouts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

I wouldnt support England. Very little to do with the history, mostly because we'd be hearing about it for..fúcking..ever. They've been talking about winning it again since 1966. The longer that famine goes on the more I hope the hyperbole will die down.

I know it wont though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

If your complaining about Journalism their is tons of shoddy journalism in England and no doubt them winning the trophy would exacerbate it but then why read it newspapers like the Gaurdian are pretty good and articles are written from a fairly neutral prespective if your reading/watching it you are obviously buying the wrong papers or watching the wrong channel.

I hope England do very well this summer and I hope if they don't win it that at least for once let them win a penalty shoot out in the previous round first they really have to get that monkey off there back

I still think Spain/Brazil have the best chance of winning it tho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

I wouldn't mind seeing them doing well, but I don't feel obligated to support then because I support United (and keep an eye out for a few lower division sides). I just hope to see some great games and I'm not too bothered overall who wins it.

If they win it, fair play to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

If England win it, you'll be hearing "TWO WORLD CUPS & TWO WORLD WARS", for the next millenia. I'd nearly prefer France to win. Nearly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Irish fans of English football saying "well never hear the end of it" because all the do is watch English football is a touch ironic, no?

I dont like England, I hope they lose. If they win, Ill never have to hear about it becuase the BBC and Sky dont cover Irish football so I dont watch them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

I hope England win. Most definitely. I'd love to see Lamps, Terry, J. Cole and A. Cole et al get WC Winner's Medals! Be so good. Plus, England are a great side, with a great manager and they deserve a World Cup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Spain, Serbia or any country that starts with S it seems...

England, nyeh, France, non!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭liamygunner29

CiaranC wrote: »
    Irish fans of English football saying "well never hear the end of it" because all the do is watch English football is a touch ironic, no?

I dont like England, I hope they lose. If they win, Ill never have to hear about it becuase the BBC and Sky dont cover Irish football so I dont watch them.

u must be short on telly so from november to march? what do you do between mondays and fridays?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Will have no problem supporting them , Go on England , only for ye I be living in a national forest for the rich .;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

If England win it, you'll be hearing "TWO WORLD CUPS & TWO WORLD WARS", for the next millenia. I'd nearly prefer France to win. Nearly.
    I can say without a doubt if France where playing Engerland i'd be hoping France hockey them. Yes that's how much i enjoy watching Engerland loose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭Rondolfus

DazMarz wrote: »
    I hope England win. Most definitely. I'd love to see Lamps, Terry, J. Cole and A. Cole et al get WC Winner's Medals! Be so good. Plus, England are a great side, with a great manager and they deserve a World Cup.

"Lamps, Terry,J.Cole,A.cole" =lol Four reasons why I don't want them to win anything.

"They deserve to win a world cup." Firstly, they have won a World cup already and secondly I'd love to know why you feel they deserve to win another? Since 66 they have gone into every World Cup roaring like lions and bowed out whimpering like lambs. Furthermore, considering they have a population of over 50 million and are considered the home of football, they have hardly set the world alight in terms of their entertainment value. Compare watching England to a country like Spain (which actually has a smaller population), and the gap in overall quality is immense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

63% of people Dont want England to win. I would make an estimate that 80% of those people support an English Club (with the vast majority of those supporting one of the Big 4, but thats a different issue) and refer to them as "we"! A bit of consistency people please!

I wont be supporting England, I never do. But I dont support any English clubs either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

If they do win it we'll never hear the end of it, my final reason.
    Not just you, but any cretin who uses this as an excuse is extremely idiotic.

You don't HAVE to consume UK-based media. No-one is forcing you to watch bbc, itv or sky, or buy "Oirish" versions of the english papers, or read english websites.

So this "never hear the end of it" bollix is a fairly stupid thing to say.

If you don't like what you see/read/hear then stop watching/listening/reading.

It's. that. simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

04072511 wrote: »
    63% of people Dont want England to win. I would make an estimate that 80% of those people support an English Club (with the vast majority of those supporting one of the Big 4, but thats a different issue) and refer to them as "we"! A bit of consistency people please!

I wont be supporting England, I never do. But I dont support any English clubs either.

there is a massive difference between not supporting England and taking enjoyment from seeing them lose.

People not supporting England is understandable. they should have no more allegiance to England than they do Spain or Italy.

getting enjoyment from seeing England lose is just pathetic.

• Advertisement

getting enjoyment from seeing England lose is just pathetic.
    What? I get enjoyment from seeing Bohemians lose. Everyone likes seeing local rivals getting beat

What? I get enjoyment from seeing Bohemians lose. Everyone likes seeing local rivals getting beat

Bray Wanderers are your local rivals, Wicklow Derby tbh

Is this the Bohemians that you play two, maybe three times a year and are competing against each other for the same thing year in year out? because that is proper rivalry. Rivalry usually goes both ways as well.

Is this the Bohemians that you play two, maybe three times a year and are competing against each other for the same thing year in year out? because that is proper rivalry. Rivalry usually goes both ways as well.
    So we arent allowed dislike England. Fair enough, wouldnt want to hurt your feelings. Presume England fans will now become magnanimous towards their German friends too?

Rondolfus wrote: »
    The English still bang on about Maradona and its been 24 years. We'll see if the Irish are still on about Henry in 24 years. Until then give us the benefit of the doubt.

Stuttgart.
    Genoa.

QED.

Irish people are as bad as English people in this regard. Stuttgart was 21 years ago, and people still bang on about it.

Who put the ball in the English net indeed. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,466 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

i won't mind seeing England do well, if there are a few United players involved. I'd like to see Rooney really 'do it' on the international stage. The players I support week in, week out for United, I also like to see do well internationally.

Though i'm not so sure about Evra at the moment. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,466 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Rondolfus wrote: »
    This may be a generational thing , but I had to actually google stuttgart to realise what you were talking about.....So naturally I'd have to disagree with you on that point.

Besides I was comparing how two countries reacted to incidents of cheating. Fratton Fred said the Irish made t*ts of themselves. I was pointing out his hypocrisy. Your comparison, even though its not true, is totally irrelevant to the original point.

RTE had a program dedicated to Stuttgart (and we didn't do any more than win a game....) not so long back. We love our past victories just as much as England, and at least they are going on about a WC win. We are banging on about a win in a group - which we still didn't get through as we lost both other games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭Rondolfus

RTE had a program dedicated to Stuttgart (and we didn't do any more than win a game....) not so long back. We love our past victories just as much as England, and at least they are going on about a WC win. We are banging on about a win in a group - which we still didn't get through as we lost both other games.

Again this is totally irrelevant. I was highlighting how Fratton Fred was being hypocritical saying that the English were laughing at the Irish over how we acted like t*ts over the Henry affair. I was highlighting hypocrisy! Nothing more nothing less.

As for your other point... yes lets get into the busines of comparing England with a population of over 50 million with Ireland a nation of 4 million...:rolleyes:. Do you seriously think are expectations should be the same????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭patmac

I wanted Liverpool to win in the Champions League final in '05.

I'm a utd supporter.
    Agreed not a real one obviously. I have an English passport, I was born in England, lived there through the last recession, some of my friends are English, I support Man Utd. Support England? No fcking way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Incorrect we drew with the Soviets in the next game. Get your facts right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

I wouldn't mind seeing England win the world cup

Mainly cos I like Capello and said when he was appointed that he would be the man to win something for England and I would like to be proven right

Personally I think they will fall just short this time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

p_larkin99 wrote: »
    lark, lol!

Honestly I think it will go the same way it usually does and we all know the criteria by now.

I think going into the tournament there will be (and somewhat rightly so) talk of us having a chance. The problem though is that a lot of people will be getting carried away with themselves in England and a good few idiots think we will be the favourites - LOL, watch other leagues please!!

Id say itll be us getting out of the group, probably topping it, and then maybe getting through the next round. Then we will come up against a good team and as usual be beaten.

JUST PLEASE NOT ON ****ING PENNOS!

oh, and we wont play good football!

I think(and hope) you're wrong here p.
    We're properly equipped this time around with Capello being the outstanding difference from previous years.
    I watched every qualifying game and the difference was obvious.
    We were very well organised,played some excellent football at times and gave 100% right up to the final whistle.

The second Croatia game was when I realised we might actually have a real chance this time,England were 4-1 up with a few minutes to play,game and qualification in the bag but Capello wouldn't let them ease up, he's still screaming at his players to push on for another goal.
    This attitude was missing in previous years,and for me Capello has made a huge difference with his mindset and organisation of the whole international setup.

There are alot of good teams there,and it will be tough but we have a chance unless we have have a peno shoot out against Germany.:)

COME ON ENGLAND!!

The second Croatia game was when I realised we might actually have a real chance this time,England were 4-1 up with a few minutes to play,game and qualification in the bag but Capello wouldn't let them ease up, he's still screaming at his players to push on for another goal.

This attitude was missing in previous years,and for me Capello has made a huge difference with his mindset and organisation of the whole international setup.

There are alot of good teams there,and it will be tough but we have a chance unless we have have a peno shoot out against Germany.:)

COME ON ENGLAND!!

I would agree with that. England have lacked hunger/desire or even the killer instinct in previous world cups. Capello seems to make them want it a lot more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Ah next summer on this forum is going to be such fun.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Is the WC draw online anywhere this afternoon?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

I don't want to see England win because I dislike the majority of the players in their team!

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Prufrock

I said yes in the poll more for the fact I'd like to see England do well. They have one or two players that could steal the show at the WC. It'll be interesting to see what Rooney does this time around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

I voted yes, because I am English !!!!!!

Sorry you guys missed out would have been much more fun with you there for sure !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

I'm in the process of tidying this up, this is a football forum, not a political forum, not a free for all for prejudice based on whatever misguided thoughts lead someone to believe they have a platform to spout ****e on.

If you can't discuss a subject like adults, based on football reasoning then you can take a break from the forum. Any further derailing of this thread will lead to instant bans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭Harpy

I said yes because i would love to see the likes of wayne rooney, beckham , gerrard and the likes to get a world cup medal...
    not looking forward to hearing the media if they do win it, but lets face it we're just as bad as them in that sense..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

Its irrelevant who we shout for eitherways, as i genuinely think England will go out at the 1/4 final stage and could go out before hand depending on the draw.

With the like of Brazil,Spain,Argentina,Germany,Netherlands,Portugal,France and the South American pair of Chile and Paraguay who done well in their qualifying campaigns in S.America, these will all play better quality football in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

I'm apathetic one way or the other to be honest, but if they don't win it this time it could be a long time before they have a chance again. The England team of the last 10-12 years has been unparalleled in the level of ability right the way across the side, with less and less English players making the grade at the top level these days they could be starting on a downward slope after this world cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

I think(and hope) you're wrong here p.
    We're properly equipped this time around with Capello being the outstanding difference from previous years.
    I watched every qualifying game and the difference was obvious.
    We were very well organised,played some excellent football at times and gave 100% right up to the final whistle.

COME ON ENGLAND!!

Good post Danny.

I dunno, I think I have now learned (from harsh past experience) to be pretty pessimistic with England.

I also now have quite a few concerns about Capellos first XI.
    Rio doenst seem to be getting any kind of run in the utd team and I think that could be massive. His experience and the way he complements Terry will be vital against a bigger team.
    I still think our midfield isnt balanced and even then I wonder who our first choice right winger is.
    The goalkeeping situation doesnt look like getting resolved and I really hoped that we would have a definite first choice which in turn would help our our defence.
    Heskey isnt getting his game at club level. This may mean he's 'fresh' for the WC but without a season behind him I worry. He needs a move and first team football.

I was very impressed with qualifying. We seemed really professional throughout and like you said Capello very definitely stamped his mark on the team, instilling the mindset/organisation etc you referred to.

After the lat qualifying campaign though (ugh, McClaren) am i just happy to be there. Couldnt face another summer without being at a major tournament.

Iago wrote: »
    I'm apathetic one way or the other to be honest, but if they don't win it this time it could be a long time before they have a chance again. The England team of the last 10-12 years has been unparalleled in the level of ability right the way across the side, with less and less English players making the grade at the top level these days they could be starting on a downward slope after this world cup.

There are a few of this crop that would possibly still be around in four years, but generally though, I would agree that this team is the best for a long time and England's chances won't be as good for a while to come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

I wanted Liverpool to win in the Champions League final in '05.

I'm a utd supporter.
    Your in a very very small minority i'd say. I was delighted when Barca played Utd off the pitch last May.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭mormank

im hoping that this thread is a way of weeding out people that we should ban forever from boards...if not im hoping that by voting yes a deadly virus was unleashed into the cpu of any person that clicked it!!!

oh i voted no by the way!! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭mormank

Will I support the English football team? Yes
    Do I want them to win it? Not necessarily.

As stated before, the world will never hear the end of it if they do - we still hear about 1966 FFS!

But it would be incredibly hypocritical of someone like me, who supports a Premier League Team, not to support the national side my club's players play for.

Saying that, I will also be supporting Spain - and DO hope they win it :)

ok this post is a contender for the most self contradicting post ive ever read on boards. congratulations!! was that what you were going for?

why is hypocritical to not support the national team of players that play for your club?? joke tbh! liverpool feilded a side against everton with no less than 8 different nationality of player playing for it which will all be playing in the world cup. doesthis mean im a hypocrite in your eyes if i dont support all 8 national sides at the world cup. FAIL!!

Are you taking the piss? You dont think there are valid discussions on why one team wouldnt like another for political reasons in the football world? Both Englands biggest rivalries are more than a little bit political - Argentina & Germany

why are you obsessed with Germany and Argentina. The rivalry there has a lot more to do with football than it does politics. England has been to war with most of the planet, why single out those two countries?

With regards Germany, England and Germany have been rivals for years, but the two semi final defeats are probably what heated it up and with regards Argentina, the Hand of God incident followed up later by a very well contested game where David Beckham made that key.

I certainly wouldn't want either of those two teams to lose specifically though, unless it was against England.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Probably said before ....

I will be supporting England when (if) they play France .
    Same goes for all French opposition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,363 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

ABE here :)

Advertisement