Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

supporting England @ world cup

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭mormank

Des wrote: »
    Not just you, but any cretin who uses this as an excuse is extremely idiotic.

You don't HAVE to consume UK-based media. No-one is forcing you to watch bbc, itv or sky, or buy "Oirish" versions of the english papers, or read english websites.

So this "never hear the end of it" bollix is a fairly stupid thing to say.

If you don't like what you see/read/hear then stop watching/listening/reading.

It's. that. simple.

nah i see what you're saying but i dont buy it. it is not a crime to read english newspapers or watch the beeb. and to say you dont have to watch the beeb when you enjoy match of the day or whatever is at best a bit rich. it is not that simple an argument im afraid.

also, i see what people are saying when they say they would like to see france do terribly. i will be taking a different approach, i want france to win it! that way for the next four years we can take solace in the fact that even the world champions could not beat us fairly in 180 mins!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

why are you obsessed with Germany and Argentina. The rivalry there has a lot more to do with football than it does politics. England has been to war with most of the planet, why single out those two countries?

With regards Germany, England and Germany have been rivals for years, but the two semi final defeats are probably what heated it up and with regards Argentina, the Hand of God incident followed up later by a very well contested game where David Beckham made that key.

I certainly wouldn't want either of those two teams to lose specifically though, unless it was against England.
    You know Fred, Ive got some time for you as a football fan. AFAIK you are from Portsmouth and you follow Portsmouth and England. But if you dont get why an Argentinian fan would dislike your crowd for singing about the Falklands war, or why a German would dislike yous singing "Ten German Bombers" in the middle of a Stuttgart square, as I just posted, or why an Irish fan would dislike yous for throwing coins and seats and singing "No surrender to the IRA" and booing our national anthem from the west stand in Landsdowne Rd (which I had the pleasure of witnessing in person) then Im afraid I dont follow your reasoning. Im afraid football is not like the sanitised premiership everywhere else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

I think people have no problem with England or wishing them well, they just dread what would happen if England win it. Nearly every England away jersey since 1966 has been the same red colour scheme as they won in the final just in case :P. We're guilty of going overboard celebrating our successes and or even small successes (woo Egan won a silver medal, he's a hero!!) though, maybe it's just us being bitter :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I dont want to win it, but doesnt mean that they cant, if they get a bit of luck and get a favourable draw for the knockouts they will go far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

CiaranC wrote: »
    You know Fred, Ive got some time for you as a football fan. AFAIK you are from Portsmouth and you follow Portsmouth and England. But if you dont get why an Argentinian fan would dislike your crowd for singing about the Falklands war, or why a German would dislike yous singing "Ten German Bombers" in the middle of a Stuttgart square, as I just posted, or why an Irish fan would dislike yous for throwing coins and seats and singing "No surrender to the IRA" and booing our national anthem from the west stand in Landsdowne Rd (which I had the pleasure of witnessing in person) then Im afraid I dont follow your reasoning. Im afraid football is not like the sanitised premiership everywhere else.

German fans love us.

135231-celtic-greeted-with-no-surrender-banner-in-hamburg-410x230.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

ABE here :)

Hi Abraham.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭adm

I wanted Liverpool to win in the Champions League final in '05.

I'm a utd supporter.

You are not a Utd supporter :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Des wrote: »
    Stuttgart.
    Genoa.

QED.

Irish people are as bad as English people in this regard. Stuttgart was 21 years ago, and people still bang on about it.

Who put the ball in the English net indeed. :rolleyes:

But, Des, for Ireland it was slaying a giant. What are they, the 3rd or 2nd biggest country in Europe? It's the equivalent of Korea beating Italy, or NI beating Spain. We have to take our small pleasures where we can.

In 1966 one of the world's football superpowers won the WC (albeit in benefit of a debatable decision) AT HOME. To be still banging on about succeeding at something they should win every 4th/5th time is not the equal of our little feat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

adm wrote: »
    You are not a Utd supporter :D

I would have said he/she is typical, tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

"Experts" on sky news already mapping England's route to the final of the World Cup. Certain tabloids calling the group "a walk in the park" and "easy". These guys are the reason i want Engerland to fail badly next summer.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Bandit12 wrote: »
    "Experts" on sky news already mapping England's route to the final of the World Cup. Certain tabloids calling the group "a walk in the park" and "easy". These guys are the reason i want Engerland to fail badly next summer.
    Stop watching Sky News and reading the tabloids then. It really is that simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

The fact that England have got a fairly decent squad and are on paper in an '' ok/ not to difficult group '' means that the ''we'll win it '' hype '' will go into overdrive much that earlier .Beckham has started it already and injuries aside , they might just have an edge in this one that was missing in previous WCC .That said I will support them.If only because as an Irishman , I live in this country now and not out of any national pride.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

As a lifelong Ajax fan I'm going to do the same as in 2006 when Ireland weren't there, support the Dutch! So I would hope that England certainly do not win.

Also living in the USA right now I'd hope they could do one against England in the opening game. Soccer fans here are generally a good bunch. I'd like to see them do well.

Hup Holland Hup!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 589 ✭✭✭vincenzo1975

love to see england fall on their face. If Ireland have a derby team, its england simple as that. Good old fashioned rivalry.

The english media were split on the handball affair, a lot of them pointed out that robbie keane handled plenty of times and that ireland should shut up about it. Also had a good laugh at us when blatter cracked the 33 joke, so no support from me there.

My wife is portuguese, so I am following them. seeing Portugal Knock england out of the last euros was one of the sweetest feelings. many pints were had to celebrate in the celbridge house.

Ronaldo - legend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Don't buy into the English Hype. Every four years, it's always "our best team since '66". I think they will get through the group stage, maybe even coming second to the US but will fail in the next round.

Look at their team: Dodgy goalkeeper, center backs(Rio/Terry) who's best days are behind them with poor backup (Upson? Brown?), in attack they have Rooney but not much else with limited/one dimensional players in Crouch and Defoe. They have fine full backs in Johnson and Cole and two very good players in the middle with Lampard and Gerrard.

It's not a World Cup winning team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Mad_Max

I won't be supporting them as such but I would like to see them win it even if it means it's all we'll hear about for the rest of the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Iron Hide

No hope in hell, we never heard the end of Wilkinson and the 2003 Rugby World Cup so god knows what they'd be like if Terry, Rooney and co. won next year...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Do you all have a loud, obnoxious English man at work with you or what? What's this never hear the end of it nonsense?

As an English man, the answer was clear cut. As for my thoughts on how England will do, I think they have a chance and I think there is nothing wrong with believing that they can. Can't see how anyone would fault that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Mad_Max

Kold wrote: »
    Do you all have a loud, obnoxious English man at work with you or what? What's this never hear the end of it nonsense?

As an English man, the answer was clear cut. As for my thoughts on how England will do, I think they have a chance and I think there is nothing wrong with believing that they can. Can't see how anyone would fault that.

Nothing wrong at all. I think they've a decent shout too. Have some hard earned euros on them to do it!

As for the never hearing the end of it, I know more about the 66 final than any other :P

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Red Storm wrote: »
    No hope in hell, we never heard the end of Wilkinson and the 2003 Rugby World Cup so god knows what they'd be like if Terry, Rooney and co. won next year...

Actually the coverage was quite low key.

What about the coverage regading Irelands grand slam?

What abput the coverage in the lead up to the France game?

What about the match commentary on the French game?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

This thread is pathetic. People complaining about the English media and their biased coverage of England's world cup exploits? The English media (and most of the Irish media) is dominated by English football every week. So English club fans lap up all of the coverage of the English media every week but when the players get together to represent the FA, you change your tune and all off of a sudden hate English football?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

come on england! I fancy australia to do well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

This thread is pathetic. People complaining about the English media and their biased coverage of England's world cup exploits? The English media (and most of the Irish media) is dominated by English football every week. So English club fans lap up all of the coverage of the English media every week but when the players get together to represent the FA, you change your tune and all off of a sudden hate English football?
    Yes that's right i do change my tune. Next.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭LowOdour

The reason I wont be supporting them...is because of crap like this in the English tabloid. One of that backs pages has this headline this morning

England
    Algeria
    Slovenia
    Yanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

LowOdour wrote: »
    The reason I wont be supporting them...is because of crap like this in the English tabloid. One of that backs pages has this headline this morning

damn sight better than some of the tripe in the irish ones over a replay im sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

England
    Algeria
    Slovenia
    Yanks

So when a tabloid makes up things it's crap and when it tells the truth it's also crap?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Nothing against England I just prefer to watch Spain and hope they win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Thats a classic clever tabloid headline, I like it. And its true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Nah, I want to see England lose in the final so that I can see Gary Lineker, Alan Shearer and Ian wright cry on national television.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

62% is not a true reflection on the Irish public wanting to see England do well.

On here we have many Man Utd, liverpool and Arsenal fans who wants to have Shreks and Stevie G's babies and are so smitten by Love that they couldnt possibly shout against them.
    A true reflection of the Irish public would be far from the soccer foum on boards.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,363 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

They don't..reverse the figure ie 38%

whycliff wrote: »
    62% is not a true reflection on the Irish public wanting to see England do well.

On here we have many Man Utd, liverpool and Arsenal fans who wants to have Shreks and Stevie G's babies and are so smitten by Love that they couldnt possibly shout against them.
    A true reflection of the Irish public would be far from the soccer foum on boards.ie

:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

CHD wrote: »
    I dont want them too simply because we will have to hear about it for next 50 years and there is teams who play better football who i'd like to see win. Don't mind if they do.

It's not then fault of the English that our media is so piss poor that we have to take theirs and call it our own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Will I support the English football team? Yes
    Do I want them to win it? Not necessarily.

As stated before, the world will never hear the end of it if they do - we still hear about 1966 FFS!

But it would be incredibly hypocritical of someone like me, who supports a Premier League Team, not to support the national side my club's players play for.
    Saying that, I will also be supporting Spain - and DO hope they win it :)

Comng from an Arsenal fan, that comment simply defies logic.

m@cc@ wrote: »
    It's not then fault of the English that our media is so piss poor that we have to take theirs and call it our own.

Speak for yourself. What exactly do you mean?

• Advertisement

Comng from an Arsenal fan, that comment simply defies logic.

Arsenal are an English club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Arsenal are an English club.

With no English players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

With no English players.

Not that it matters either way but, there just wasn't a good enough academy at Arsenal when Wenger arrived to keep a strong base of English players at the club and be successful without spending massive amounts of money. That has started to change now as Wenger has helped develop an excellent youth academy which has started to finally produce quality young English talent.

With no English players.

Actually we do have English players, no matter, we are still an English club.

Actually we do have English players,.

A few fringe players that you could count on one hand.

• Advertisement

A few fringe players that you could count on one hand.

As I said it doesn't matter we are still an English club

Technically, yes.

Technically, yes.

No technically about it we are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

England
    Algeria
    Slovenia
    Yanks

Typical English tabloid crap.

Sensitive petals?

England
    Algeria
    Slovenia
    Yanks

England
    Never
    Gracious
    Loudmouthed
    Arrogant &
    Never
    Downplay (their chances of winning)

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

snaps wrote: »
    Typical English tabloid crap.

I'm sure tabloids in other countries are balanced and neutral

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

I could do one for Republic of Ireland but its far too much work.

mike65 wrote: »
    I could do one for Republic of Ireland but its far too much work.

Ireland
    Rarely
    Ever
    Let
    Any
    Nonsense
    Decisions lie

No one is disputing that. That's not the point he was making.

• Advertisement
Advertisement