Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

supporting England @ world cup

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Poll says more about the makeup of the forum than anything.

I would say 80% + are from the Pale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭mobby

Yes. And if they do we will hear about it for the next 50 years. But sure we would be the same ourselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,048 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

mobby wrote: »
    Yes. And if they do we will hear about it for the next 50 years. But sure we would be the same ourselves.

We'd be worse.

We got to the quarter final in 1990 without properly winning a match and people still go on about it like it was the second coming of Christ or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

We'd be worse.

We got to the quarter final in 1990 without properly winning a match and people still go on about it like it was the second coming of Christ or something.

Or 1994, remember the Open Top bus for that and Joe Duffy in the park :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Joe Duffy in the park :o

If ever there was an opportunity for a clear shot sadly missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

If ever there was an opportunity for a clear shot sadly missed.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

mobby wrote: »

I will personally make sure of it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Rob113

Ireland
    Rarely
    Ever
    Let
    Any
    Nonsense
    Decisions lie

Please stop doing that. once was enough. Christ feels like we are back in school

Whilst i wont be supporting them per se. I would sit and watch all of their matches. I dont think i particularly want them to win the matches they are involved in but i am definitely more interested in watching them than most of the other teams. I wouldnt mind see them go as far as the semi's and then lose on peno's or something. Im happy to watch the final regardless of whos playing.

• Advertisement

In_tuition wrote: »
    2621120130_f1351f3b43.jpg

See this sort of stuff makes me feel queasy. I hate people on holiday sporting Union Jack clothes etc. I now dont want them to win at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Come on Germany. Don't care who we beat on the way.

Seriously. Only for the media crap I probably wouldn't feel so unsympathetic about England. But the media crap is just so bad. I mean wait another 3 months and two more successful friendlies and they will have it practically won by then. And don't get me started on all the war **** in the papers.
    Then I hear people saying 'ah that's just the media' but I can't help thinking that this must be to some extent a reflection on the 'English character'. And I don't like it.

Did I say I support Germany? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I hate this bullsh!t of "sure, you support an English club, so you should support their national team!" Why?? There are plenty of English football fans over there who don't care about the national team.

International football is different from club football!!

I won't be supporting England cos i'll be supporting Spain!!!

But if England come up against France, then it's England all the way for me!!!! I mean, 800 years of rape, murder and imperialistic conquerment is one thing, but what Thierry Henry did is unforgivable!!!

Lets move with the times!!! France are the enemy!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Rob113 wrote: »
    See this sort of stuff makes me feel queasy. I hate people on holiday sporting Union Jack clothes etc. I now dont want them to win at all.

I assume that seeing hordes of medium-well done Irish lads abroad wearing EPL, LOI, ROI and GAA shirts makes you want all the variations of same to lose too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

Your right you know, no other nations fans would ever support their country enthusiastically of course.

[IMG]http://www.muchos.co.uk/members/dannydiamond/ireland fans 2.jpg[/IMG]

This thread has shown alot of people up to be fair,and has highlighted the (minority of) small minded bigots that live among us.

Move on ffs,you're an embarrasment to the rest of us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Comng from an Arsenal fan, that comment simply defies logic.
    OPENROAD wrote: »
    Arsenal are an English club.
    With no English players.
    A few fringe players that you could count on one hand.

So Irish people only started supporting Arsenal when the majority of their players were non-English?

Did they f*ck.

Saying that it's ok to support an English club because "most of their players are foreigners" is a cop-out. A handy excuse for hypocrites but a crap one nonetheless.

Irish people have supported English clubs since Match Of The Day hit our screens in the mid 1960s.

All through the 1960s, 1970s and 1980s Irish people lapped up English soccer despite the majority of players being English. i.e. it's a non-issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

I don't want to see them winning the World Cup mainly because of the gloating they ensure, and the memory of the time we played them and they started pelting seats down at us.

Besides that, they should be winning the World Cup, they produce brilliant players, but brilliant players that can't perform together. They'll make it out of the group with ease but 2010 isn't the year when they win the World Cup.

Hopefully it will be same old England.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Sheepy99

why would you vote yes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,267 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I vote for "don't care".

I want Spain to win but if England were to win, I wouldn't be upset.

I can put up with their celebrations as I consume a lot of English media. It's a price I'm willing to pay to keep enjoying BBC and Sky. After all, their programming is not directed at us, it's directed at the English and, to a lesser extent, the other UK nations.

I don't remember anyone complaining when BBC One NI was rebranded BBC One-Nil for a month or so after they beat England at Windsor a few years back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Declan Ganley supports a No Vote (Cos he's not English)

Please stop doing that. once was enough. Christ feels like we are back in school

Yes sir. Can I go to the bathroom now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Sheepy99 wrote: »
    why would you vote yes?

Because you want England to win the World Cup,Seems self explanatory really

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    So Irish people only started supporting Arsenal when the majority of their players were non-English?

Did they f*ck.

Saying that it's ok to support an English club because "most of their players are foreigners" is a cop-out. A handy excuse for hypocrites but a crap one nonetheless.

Irish people have supported English clubs since Match Of The Day hit our screens in the mid 1960s.

All through the 1960s, 1970s and 1980s Irish people lapped up English soccer despite the majority of players being English. i.e. it's a non-issue.

And when did I say anything to disagree with ANYTHING that you have posted in your post? If you are going to quote me to make a point, please at least do me the courtesy of reading what I have previously posted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭patmac

Meh, I think it is more about small nation syndrome than small man syndrome. I would say a lot of people in Wales, Scotland and dare I say Australia would be amazed that 38% (or whatever) would be in favour of this poll. I would guess a national survey would have it around 20%.
    England's media (Skinner and Badiel, sun, mirror,etc) often ripped the piss out of the Scots(especially their goalkeepers), Welsh, Germans, Argies, Aussies, French etc, so it is for their superiority complex alone that others tend to dislike the English.
    As for the follow your English club so follow England argument I support Utd, but hate Chelsea, Liverpool, City as much so 3 to 1 against following England.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Wexler12

Im a real football fan so I hate the premiership and its stars for ruining Irish football

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Wexler12 wrote: »
    Im a real football fan so I hate the premiership and its stars for ruining Irish football

...right...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA that right there post of the century the english league has made irish players better, in turn making the irish team better, in turn making your post hilarious.

Oh my god theres actually tears in my eyes ok ok i'm calm now, keep it coming wexler12

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Wexler12

I dont care about the Irish team, its the LOI that matters:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I dont care about the Irish team, its the LOI that matters:)

And who do you support??

Advertisement