Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

walking out of a job?

Options
  • 03-12-2009 5:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

i was just wondering if anyone here has ever walked out of their job for good reason (like bullying, isolation, unfair treatment)????
    and what happened when you tried to find a new job with references and stuff, or signing on social welfare?

im being bullied in work and have tried to sort it out with letters to managers and meetings with supervisors on 3 seperate occasions, and the situation has not improved!!! im on my last straw! its making my life a misery but especially comin up to christmas, i cant afford to leave - unless theres some way out of it!

id love to hear anyones own stories, i know theyd help alot!!!!!

thanks!!! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

Firstly walking out is not a good option because if you go for another job while you r previous company might offer excellent references regarding your time keeping etc etc one last question is

why did they leave?

and the simple answer is that they walked out, not a good answer to get.

why not give your notice and work it through if you really want to leave.

you can job hunt now and any new job will give appropiate time for you to leave your current job ie. 2 weeks before they want you to start with them.

If the new job wants you to start straight away they still might check references later on and can still take the rug from under you after a few weeks work if you got a bad reference however you wont get a bad reference if you left your old job at short notice for your new job.

on the bullying thing if its a case that you have endevoured to find a soloution your next course of action would be to consult a solicitor and if you are the true victim of bulling you could have a case for constructive dismissal if you find your self in a no win position forcing you to leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭nicegirl

Hi U1D2C3. First of all I am sorry to hear about what you are going through, its completely unacceptable. GerryCollins above has raised some good points, about should you consider getting a new job, and leaving your current employment. BUT there is another side of the coin.
    We are in the middle of a recession, and its the year 2009. In this day and age NO EMPLOYEE has to put up with bullying in the workplace, and as an employee you have a huge amount of employment rights with this issue. The fact that you approached management about your problems is correct. I would ask you though, is any of these meetings in writing? Did you have a work collegue present? If you are not in a Union, I suggest you join one straight away, and tell them your situation at work.
    I am in a similar circumstance, which has gone on for almost 2 years, and I never ever considered leaving, and am fighting for my rights, and you should to. I know alot about employment law, and have a book called "Employment Law" from the Law Society of Ireland, which is the book solicitors in Ireland use for studying employment law. It has been my bible through what I have gone through, and you will be amazed the amount of rights and employee has, and the obligations of an employer.
    Feel free to drop me a private message, and I will help you out, and give some advice if you like

Advertisement