Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trade Unions will be crushed

Options
  • 03-12-2009 5:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭

It looks like the end of the road for Irish Trade unions. The concession on the pay cuts and the pathetic attempt to sugar coat this with the redicularse idea of unpaid leave is one nail in the coffin. They had it too good with Bertie and since they have always got what they wanted in the last 10 years it seems they have lost their ability to fight. Same as under Maggie Thatcher

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭schween

I would say good riddance but I think they will cause a lot of trouble yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭znv6i3h7kqf9ys

I'd say the govt is going to shaft them in the budget and get 1 up by averting their proposed strike on thursday

Won't they just call a strike and hold the country to ransom?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

Cowen couldn't crush a paper cup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭znv6i3h7kqf9ys

schween wrote: »
    Probably try but if they were going to strike anyway let it be after they get shafted and let them loose more cred.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭freewheeler

I would like to state that our current problems were not caused by trade unions but rather by a sucession of useless Fianna Fail led governments. people seem to have forgotten this fact.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,985 ✭✭✭✭Stark

A few one day strikes here and there? Big deal. It's not like a Thatcher's Britain style war that we're facing into.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

Probably try but if they were going to strike anyway let it be after they get shafted and let them loose more cred.

wouldnt they only lose credibility if they went on strike after not getting shafted ? Surely going on strike after getting shafted would be more understandable?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭gerry28

I don't think Cowan is foolish enough to try and make such a mockery of the unions.

We pay our subscription for them to represent us. If cowan thinks he can take a blatant hand at them on this then he is taking a blatant hand at the union members.

For some reason when the pension levy was introduced people accepted it and moved on.

I get the feeling that this budget will be massively different.

Everyone at work is talking about the budget and are waiting and paying close attention to what will happen next tue.

Cowan could run the risk of losing thousands and thousands of votes for a very long time if they are deemed to be too harsh on the 9th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Long Onion

I would like to state that our current problems were not caused by trade unions but rather by a sucession of useless Fianna Fail led governments. people seem to have forgotten this fact.:confused:

And you, my good sir seem to have forgotten the fact that the Unions were implicit at every level in ratcheting up the cost of doing business in the country at every single partnership talk and benchmarking excercise over the past 12 years.

The massive profits in the private sector and the rapid rise in house prices were welcomed as a vehicle to ensure pay increases for members. The rising inflation was used for justifying benchmarking increases. Now that we have falling costs and deflation, the same unions re resisting the very logic they used to secure the gains in the past.

Meanwhile they continue to draw 6 figure salaries plus expenses and DB pension schemes - many of which, by the way, are benchmarked to civil service pay rates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,985 ✭✭✭✭Stark

gerry28 wrote: »
    Cowan could run the risk of losing thousands and thousands of votes for a very long time if they are deemed to be too harsh on the 9th.

He'll have gained my vote though. And I have never voted for FF in my life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭seangal

I'd say the govt is going to shaft them in the budget and get 1 up by averting their proposed strike on thursday

They will do this
    But then it is an all out strike for as long as it takes in beginning of January and then the government will get it P45
    I think this is what the media and unions wanted all along

We're passed the blame stage and the unions aren't helping.
    I mean the INO leader tells people to shut up and not interfere. Sorry Mr Trade Union man I didn't realise the future of the country is none of our business.

Stark wrote: »
    A few one day strikes here and there? Big deal. It's not like a Thatcher's Britain style war that we're facing into.
    Tell that to the parents of children that have to take days off work due to strike and the loss to the country is about 400 million a day for a public sector strike

• Registered Users Posts: 19,020 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

A bit of both tbh. Ultimately FF are responsible though, yes....but then again, who kept reelecting FF? The Irish people are, in general, idiots. How could we not collectively have seen this coming?

Long Onion wrote: »
    And you, my good sir seem to have forgotten the fact that the Unions were implicit at every level in ratcheting up the cost of doing business in the country at every single partnership talk and benchmarking excercise over the past 12 years.

The massive profits in the private sector and the rapid rise in house prices were welcomed as a vehicle to ensure pay increases for members. The rising inflation was used for justifying benchmarking increases. Now that we have falling costs and deflation, the same unions re resisting the very logic they used to secure the gains in the past.

Meanwhile they continue to draw 6 figure salaries plus expenses and DB pension schemes - many of which, by the way, are benchmarked to civil service pay rates.
    I disagree completely..trade unions are merely doing what they're paid to do ie negotiate the best possible deal for workers..wages have risen in this country as a direct response to the never ending screwing of Irish people by EVERYONE from the banks down to your freindly neighbourhood greengrocer and EVERYONE in between..sucessive governments have done NOTHING to prevent this from happening with the result that we now pay more for EVERYTHING than practially everyone else in the EU.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭danman

seangal wrote: »
    They will do this
    But then it is an all out strike for as long as it takes in beginning of January and then the government will get it P45
    I think this is what the media and unions wanted all along

The Unions or members haven't got the stomach for an all out strike.
    1 day strikes are all they can do.

250,000 people loosing weeks of wages, so the Union leaders can appear smug on TV?
    It would never happen.

1 day strikes save the economy 50million euro each. Bring it on, we'll have this problem solved in no time.

We're passed the blame stage and the unions aren't helping.
    I mean the INO leader tells people to shut up and not interfere. Sorry Mr Trade Union man I didn't realise the future of the country is none of our business.
    what he mean is people have called for 30k people to be let go in the public sector over and over
    But when the unions came up with the unpaid leave which would equal 5000k people less in the public sector they are now saying " this will destroy the service "
    They cant make there mind up FFS

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

Hold the country to ransom? In the last strike it seemed business as usual to me, In fact their was less traffic... it was brilliant. Not to mention the money that was saved in wages.

In the event they go all out the Army will take over Emergency services.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭baaaa

No,that's last years problems.
    This years problems are being caused by our inability to reduce public sector pay-ie the unions.

• Advertisement

danman wrote: »
    The Unions or members haven't got the stomach for an all out strike.
    1 day strikes are all they can do.

250,000 people loosing weeks of wages, so the Union leaders can appear smug on TV?
    It would never happen.

1 day strikes save the economy 50million euro each. Bring it on, we'll have this problem solved in no time.
    It saves the public sector pay bill 50 million
    It cost the Irish economy 400 million
    And we all know if any group can afford to lose a week wages it is the public sector workers and it is not them who are losing there home and in arrears with banks
    It would last about 3 day green would pull out and the FF back benchers will pull the plug on brian

hobochris wrote: »
    Hold the country to ransom? In the last strike it seemed business as usual to me, In fact their was less traffic... it was brilliant. Not to mention the money that was saved in wages.

In the event they go all out the Army will take over Emergency services.
    less traffic LOL
    that was because haly the country was shut down
    people did not go to work as they had kids to mind
    school, colleges closed

baaaa wrote: »
    No,that's last years problems.
    This years problems are being caused by our inability to reduce public sector pay-ie the unions.
    and who introduced benchmarking in the first place???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭danman

Where's this 400million coming from?
    I don't understand.

Wages bill was reduced, but how did it cost the economy 350million extra. please explain.

danman wrote: »
    Where's this 400million coming from?
    I don't understand.

Wages bill was reduced, but how did it cost the economy 350million extra. please explain.
    in production ect
    IBEC put the cost at 400 million due to people not at work and the cost of all the cancellation ect

and who introduced benchmarking in the first place???
    Who cares?we have to get rid of it now and the unions won't let us.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭bladespin

seangal wrote: »
    less traffic LOL
    that was because haly the country was shut down
    people did not go to work as they had kids to mind
    school, colleges closed

I went to work, as said already it was great, no traffic.

TBH the unions were as much a part of the problem as anything, they had their hands out in the good times and were happy not it's tough they're kicking up.

An all out strike would be laughable, there's people queuing up to take any job going so throwing an few troublemakers out and replacing them would send a very clear message, not a nice thing to do but the country's not in a nice place right now.

We've been saying for years that the country needs a radical shake up, now's the time.

baaaa wrote: »
    Who cares?we have to get rid of it now and the unions won't let us.
    well i m sure that a lot of people care that our futures are in the hands of the same crowd who created this mess in the first place!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

Exactly and the reason they were useless is because they just caved in to every demand.

The party is over. Now they have to clean up the mess and the Public Sector has a hangover but didn't mind binge drinking on the champagne for the past few years.

Benchmarking is dead Thank God.

• Advertisement

well i m sure that a lot of people care that our futures are in the hands of the same crowd who created this mess in the first place!!
    No they don't,right now the immediate concern is to keep country afloat.
    The future you speak about will not occur if the country goes down.

Advertisement