Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trade Unions will be crushed

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,916 ✭✭✭doc_17

dny123456 wrote: »
    Union membership should be outlawed for public sector? I know the gardai aren't allowed to strike, but are they allowed to be in a union?

yes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭Count Dooku

dny123456 wrote: »
    Union membership should be outlawed for public sector? I know the gardai aren't allowed to strike, but are they allowed to be in a union?
    Only in critical services, like gardai, schools, revenue and health
    As price for that they should be touched by cuts
    For all other like financial regulators, planning authorities and other clerks refuges salaries must be cut by 50% of everything above industrial average
    Poor country cannot afford overpaid clerks. When average salary in private sector will start to grow, they automatically will get pay increment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭frman

Ah even if you didn't allow strikes, when it comes to throwing toys out of the pram, it amazes me how there is suddenly an outbreak of flu.

Striking is better for the public purse as we don't have to pay salaries.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Is this comment attributed to Peter McLoone a threat of disorder?
    Peter McLoone of IMPACT told RTÉ that the Finance Minister Brian Lenihan had cautioned last year that pay cuts in France could lead to riots - and warned that we could expect a similar reaction here.

Taken from this article on RTE

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

schween wrote: »
    Won't they just call a strike and hold the country to ransom?

Because they have absolutely no support outside of the public sector and only a very slim majority in most unions within, where they have a majority at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Jesus Christ, are these guys out to ruin themselves?!
    Liam Doran's gem of a comment during the week.
    And now McLoone threatening the government and general public with civil unrest?!

These guys may be viciously against cuts to pay and not succeeding, but they're doing a damn fine job of cutting public sympathy for them!

It's comments coming from the likes of Doran and McLoone that divide public and private sector, not some big FF/media conspiracy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

ninty9er wrote: »
    Because they have absolutely no support outside of the public sector and only a very slim majority in most unions within, where they have a majority at all.

+1 , strikes have limited effect unless the general public support them and the nurses apart , thier is very little support for public sector strikes , the goverment have plenty of support to hang tough with the unions

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

irish_bob wrote: »
    +1 , strikes have limited effect unless the general public support them and the nurses apart , thier is very little support for public sector strikes ,
    The nurses were out not so long ago and got very little traction with the public. I think having guys like Doran represents them does take away somewhat from the Florence Nightingale image.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭seclachi

gandalf wrote: »

People on the mainland riot frequently though, here its far less frequent, and any time I heard of them it was more of a sectarian thing anyway. Its amazing how the union heads have managed to get themselves reviled, there almost worse than bankers and politicians at this stage. If they actually cared about there unions maybe they would step aside and let more moderate leaders in, I would imagine they would gain alot more for there members.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭mallet head

gandalf wrote: »

That"s absolutely disgraceful. He should either A. Resign or B. be charged under the incitement laws.

It's now completely obvious that these guys have lost touch with reality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

ninty9er wrote: »
    i have to agree with you, btw we should meet up for a christmas beer, providing politics does not rear its ugly head, as we have to stop bickering anonamously,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭mallet head

Dannyboy83 wrote: »

Jaysus thank god we didn't buy a few APCs last week. The Indo would have gone into overdrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

old boy wrote: »
    i have to agree with you, btw we should meet up for a christmas beer, providing politics does not rear its ugly head, as we have to stop bickering anonamously,

Hmm theres a thought I actually don't think there has ever been a politics beers before!

Advertisement