Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Development, Backup and Testing stratagy?

Options
  • 03-12-2009 5:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, I am looking for some pointers on the optimum set up for ongoing development of a web app.

Development in this case is happening between two teams in two offices and I want to try and keep the system independent of both and I am thinking of using the VPS offerings from Blacknight.

What I am thinking:

Original site live site on VPS1
    Development server is VPS2 and is used for testing before deployment to VPS1.
    Backups of VPS1 are sent to VPS2 regularly.
    SVN is set up on VPS2 for both teams to access.
    Regular backups of SVN are saved locally by both development teams.

Is there a better more optimum way of running this?

Thanks,
    Alan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

Id recommend a 3 tier system.

-Live.
    -Test.
    -Dev.

Each with its own servers and with dev using SVN.

Obviously your teams work mostly in dev and work towards getting product into test, once in test it is reviewed is successful it goes live otherwise its bounced back to dev.

Backups of live will be in Dev and Test.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Figment

Great thanks for that hobochris

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭TheWaterboy

Yes I would agree with HoboChris - I think its very difficult to test code properly without a dedicated test server especially when you have two teams in different offices.
    hobochris wrote: »
    Id recommend a 3 tier system.

-Live.
    -Test.
    -Dev.

Each with its own servers and with dev using SVN.

Obviously your teams work mostly in dev and work towards getting product into test, once in test it is reviewed is successful it goes live otherwise its bounced back to dev.

Backups of live will be in Dev and Test.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,681 ✭✭✭Trampas

Make sure your restores work.

The back ups always work but the restores is where the problem is ;)

Good change control system.

In testing try and do a load test as you never get this in dev and uat like you do in production.

Advertisement