Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

We Won!!! 12 day for Xmas Deal is Off!!!!

Options
  • 03-12-2009 6:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭

Power to the people!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,025 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Power to the people!!!

Where'd you hear this? It's not really about winning for me, it's about the reality that Ireland can't afford the public sector at it's current rates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

what exactly did you win?

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭CityCentreMan

Just turn on your radio!

This is the first time in a very long time that our government have stood up to the unions.

The only reason they did is because they were frightened by the alternative as voiced by the people. WE WON!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭seangal

Power to the people!!!
    This just show the problem facing ireland
    There are no winners in any of this

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭CityCentreMan

Yes there are winners. The ordinary people of Ireland are the winners!!

The people of Ireland voiced their opinions by email, by phone to their TD's and ministers, thru the media and thru channels such as this.

This is the first time that our government have stood up to the public Sector Unions and have listened to what the ordinary people want.

We have shown clearly that we will not stand to be bullied by by the PS Unions who have never been stood up to before. This is a turning point!

The worm turns - Power to the people!

We need some proper government and hopefully the guys in Leinster House will now be emboldened to stand up against vested interests and to govern as they are supposed to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

Power to the people!!!

+1 spot on OP although there is still a lot of hard work to do and we now need a Government to make radical changes.

Yes it is a victory of sorts but a lot to do now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

I'd call that a win.

It's a bad time and essentially there are no real winners, but this is really good news for non-public sector workers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

Take it easy guys. It ain't over til the fat lady sings!!!!(though it's looking hopeful!)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

Yes there are winners. The ordinary people of Ireland are the winners!!

You know that people who work in the public service are as you put it also 'the ordinary people of Ireland'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭Figerty

A great Irish Sean Nos singer once said of an unappreciative audience..
    ' The fools the fools they have left us the fools...'

You have now become the stooge of the government who set up the public vs private worker, and now you claim a victory over the supposed failure of a pay deal when you should be looking at how they got us into a position of financial weakness from a position of strength.

Boy have you fallen for the months of PR spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Excellent result. This is very important.

First, the unions only offered a "do less for less" deal when we need to at the least maintain necessary services.

Second, it was utterly regressive: The lowest paid Public Sector workers would take the exact same % hit as the upper civil servants. Given the hamfisted way the pension levy was implemented, it might actually end up that the higher paid take a relatively less hit.

Third, public sector pensions are inexplicably linked to current pay. This is why the unions are fighting so furiously to prevent any hit to the top level pay: they want their pensions untouched.

But I would be cautious - I always knew the "nurses/gardai/firefighters" trotted out to justify 200K Euro salaries for bureacrats were just puppets, but I found it hard to credit they could actually believe this regressive deal was going to be fair.

Public anger did catch Cowen off guard; as someone pointed out, its rare to see a government make a mistake like this and to see such a collective reaction of incredulity and anger to it: Even NAMA has its defenders, though they will vanish as the true scale of the losses becomes clear.

Cowen's love of making a "deal" maybe blinded him. But I was surprised the FF backbenchers suddenly sprang to life to represent the people - Id think that some of those Frontline alliance dudes might have felt they were getting marginalised/screwed and started dialing up FF TDs to outflank the bigger unions?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

Figerty wrote: »
    A great Irish Sean Nos singer once said of an unappreciative audience..
    ' The fools the fools they have left us the fools...'

You have now become the stooge of the government who set up the public vs private worker, and now you claim a victory over the supposed failure of a pay deal when you should be looking at how they got us into a position of financial weakness from a position of strength.

Boy have you fallen for the months of PR spin.

No, people can worry about blame after.
    First, we have to make a collective effort to save the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

dan_d wrote: »
    Take it easy guys. It ain't over til the fat lady sings!!!!(though it's looking hopeful!)

Will Harney be singing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭am i bovvered

You know that people who work in the public service are as you put it also 'the ordinary people of Ireland'.

Not all the people, and you know that !! There is a significant amount of lower paid workers but hiding behind them is the vast majority who have to face up to the reality of what is needed and required.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

A type of privileged ordinary, it would seem.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Threats to hit them in the pocket may have helped:
    Small business representatives today issued an angry response to indications that the Government was considering a plan to enforce unpaid leave in the public sector, instead of direct pay cuts, as a means of achieving €1.3bn in savings.

The Irish Small & Medium Enterprises association (ISME) said many members had said that they feel they have no option but to withhold taxes in a form of protest.

Read more: http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/small-businesses-in-threat-to-withhold-taxes-436815.html#ixzz0YfLTRfaC

Civil disobedience by taxpaying small businesses is a pretty serious indicator.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Scofflaw wrote: »

cordially,
    Scofflaw
    That's actually pretty impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,196 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

cordially,
    Scofflaw
    Fair play to them, wonder if they would go through with it, it's all getting very interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭funnyname

We need the Goverment to do something radical but it ain't gonna happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

mickeyk wrote: »
    Fair play to them, wonder if they would go through with it, it's all getting very interesting.

If ISME were able to show me that it would be a general campaign, I'd have done it. Admittedly I'd go for plámássing my delay rather than just outright saying it was a protest (Revenue penalties aren't to be taken lightly), but it comes to the same thing in the end.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭pawrick

this is a joke on everyone, it actually sickens me to hear people congratulating the backbenchers who have sat around through out the life of this government and past ones looking out for only them selves - now that FF are unpopular and they are asked for some reform them selves they rush out to be the champions of the people - yes some joke on us all - keep voting them in

reform is needed all round - Fianna Fail has proven it can not govern wisely and can not make decisions which it stands by. Nothing has changed in it's populist agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

...Source/Link to prove this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭pawrick

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

I think the OP has been reading too much Indo and Sindo :D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,253 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Why not implement this where possible in addition to a tiered paycut?

Even if it were done on an entirely voluntary basis, there'd be scope for pretty hefty savings.

Every bit of fat that can be trimmed must be and if there are departments or quangos that can do without some of their staff for a few days out of the year, and those staff are happy to take the extra days off, they should be encouraged to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,601 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Sleepy wrote: »
    Why not implement this where possible in addition to a tiered paycut?

Even if it were done on an entirely voluntary basis, there'd be scope for pretty hefty savings.

Every bit of fat that can be trimmed must be and if there are departments or quangos that can do without some of their staff for a few days out of the year, and those staff are happy to take the extra days off, they should be encouraged to do so.

Indeed,
    It should be offered as well the tiered paycut you speak about and may yet be so.

On a separate point:
    People talking about victory and speaking about the "ordinary man" are starting to sound like the very union heads they detest.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Haven't ISME and IBEC members being doing this for years ?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,601 ✭✭✭✭kippy

parsi wrote: »
    Haven't ISME and IBEC members being doing this for years ?

Thats a tad unfair and complete impossible to back up now, isnt it?

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

kippy wrote: »
    Thats a tad unfair and complete impossible to back up now, isnt it?

As jimmmy would say - I heard it in the pub: one of my buddies is a leading member of ISME and he showed me the tax that he wasn't paying etc etc etc

However the Revenue kindly publish lists of defaulters:

http://www.revenue.ie/en/press/defaulters/index.html

Advertisement