Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wiring Extraction fan with no earth

Options
  • 03-12-2009 6:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭

Im trying to wire a small bathroom extraction fan. Ive got blue, yellow and brown wired up in my plug but when I get to the fan end there is only live and neutral. How do I go about earthing it if there is no connection in the fan to do so? Is it dangerous to just leave the earth wire sitting in the fan connected to nothing ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Rev. BlueJeans

The fan is most likely double insulated.

In this instance I would terminate the earth in a single strip connector, cut neatly from the strip with a sharp knife, and place it away from the phase and neutral terminals. At least it's there if ever needed.

Um, hold on. Plug?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

The plug has a earth wire alright but its inside the fan that I have no-where to connect the other end of the earth wire. Should I just stick the connector strip inside the fans wiring box and hook the earth wire to it? any safety issues with doing it this way ?

Where I'm coming from-is where is the plug coming in?

I assume you're not wiring this thing back to a socket?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

I thought the op was calling the connector block the plug but not sure now. Pic or the model of the fan would clear some things up

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Yep I am, the extractor fan not being used for a bathroom, its being used for a small greenhouse, I need a circulation of air going thru. So I was planning on hooking up this fan to it, comes supplied with wire and plug for socket but its not wired up. Thats why I was wondering about the earth in the fan unit.

Ah, that's a different story.

Once it's securely mounted, and the wiring isn't accessible by errant fingers, then all should be well, I'd think.

Advertisement