Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Public Sector" usage pattern as a term, in posts.

Options
  • 03-12-2009 6:17pm
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

ok, as part of this thread on Public Sector Threads, we decided to run a query and analyse the results (Rossnor were bored and I suggested it).

The results are actually quite startling...as far as a "zeitgeist trend" goes, its pretty telling. I've attached the XL spreadsheet to this post of the results.

Have a looksee....

The sheet shows
    A. the number of posts which included the specific phrase "public sector" in it
    B. the number of total posts for that month
    C. the percent of A in B.

DeV.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Ha, nice stats. What happened in Feb 09? Emergency Budget?

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I dunno but I can only say that my maths lecturers would have classified those numbers as "statistically significant". A phrase I confess an undying love for :)

DeV.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

OK DeV can you translate that for people who run out of mathematical ability when they run out of fingers? IE Me. :o:D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

seamus wrote: »
    Ha, nice stats. What happened in Feb 09? Emergency Budget?

Yeah, the pension levy.

Seemed to have been a bit during benchmarking too, but not "significant".

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Wibbs, it means "this is very very likely NOT to be simply a coincidence" :)

The humour comes from the fact that a jump from 0.01% in March 06 to nearly 1% so far this month is very very clearly NOT a statistical anomaly and reflects a definite shift in posting usage.

Translation: Lots of people started using the term A LOT in a very short space of time. :)

Interesting reading all the same... I dont know of much that would challenge that for "hot topic of the year".... perhaps "french cheat" last month might have, but those are flash in the pan events, this is a seismic movement in terms of public interest.

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,210 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Rossnor: Jedwards smarter cousin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Rev. BlueJeans

DeVore wrote: »
    Interesting reading all the same... I dont know of much that would challenge that for "hot topic of the year".... perhaps "french cheat" last month might have, but those are flash in the pan events, this is a seismic movement in terms of public interest.

DeV.

I only hope it's a sign of things to come in Irish society. To use the old cliché, "there's a lot of anger out there".

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Any chance of a thread count where Public Sector is in one of the posts in that thread? Or posts in threads containing Public Sector?

Also, I'd like a list of users who most use the term please. Should prove interesting!

Sorry, the stats geek in me is coming out...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

nesf wrote: »

Also, I'd like a list of users who most use the term please. Should prove interesting!

Sorry, the stats geek in me is coming out...

That I'd like to see too. Hope Im not in the top 10

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Wow, very telling

And how I hate my Data Analysis and Statistics lectures :(

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

You should make a dictionary of keywords first. e.g. PS, PubSec, etc.

Personally, I think the term "PS employees" seems to be most frequent in usage than any other term.

There would be strong correlation with the trend shown in that document. It wouldnt really add much to the sum of our knowledge.

Also, while I made have said Conor and Ross were a "bored" its not because they arent busy, believe me they are :) so I dont want to be bothering them for stats all the time but it did seem like a nice zeitgeist piece of info.

DeV.

DeVore wrote: »
    There would be strong correlation with the trend shown in that document. It wouldnt really add much to the sum of our knowledge.

Also, while I made have said Conor and Ross were a "bored" its not because they arent busy, believe me they are :) so I dont want to be bothering them for stats all the time but it did seem like a nice zeitgeist piece of info.

DeV.

Ah but correlation is one thing but what's important is the concentration of these posts in threads, whether they're spreading outside of their regular forums and whatnot. Though yeah, it's unreasonable for us to expect Conor and Ross to act as the "BSO" in addition to all their other duties! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

Nice! Could be an interesting addition (stats much like Google Analytics) to boards.ie one day, perhaps? Or would it only be useful to a tiny bunch of nerds like me, nesf, etc.

:)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

To me, having had to deal with the vitriol for the past while, that's kind of a depressing statistic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Rev. BlueJeans

Wait until next week, and the budget ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

If you say public sector backwards 3 times infront of a mirror then mary harney throws ducks at your house.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Do you have the stats for Your Ma usage on afterhours?:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Interesting stats, if you were to remove Jimmy's posts and would the graph go back to normal. :)

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

It would be interesting to see who the most prolific anti-PS posters are and if they contribute to any other fora on Boards.

Whilst the PS might be the current zeitgeist does this fad (another word for zeitgeist) result in longer-term boardsies ?

Boards touts itself as a community - sometimes you'd find yourself arguing with someone in one forum and exchanging useful info with them in another forum but the current crop of one-trick-ponies seem to have no interest in this.

parsi wrote: »
    It would be interesting to see who the most prolific anti-PS posters are and if they contribute to any other fora on Boards.

Whilst the PS might be the current zeitgeist does this fad (another word for zeitgeist) result in longer-term boardsies ?

Boards touts itself as a community - sometimes you'd find yourself arguing with someone in one forum and exchanging useful info with them in another forum but the current crop of one-trick-ponies seem to have no interest in this.
    Im not sure witch-hunting posters is a good idea.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Anonymised statistics FTW.

It would be useful for boards to know the paths that its users take.

A stat of the top 5 posters who post on <insert current fad> have X posts in <current fad forum> and Y posts in other fora.

It's a bit like the research folk do on websites - do users stick to particular pages or do they explore..?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

parsi wrote: »

When it comes to politics I don't think boards.ie is community per se, feels more like a battlezone.

The Lisbon Treaty was also a fad for a while with droves of the "one-trick-ponies".

Alan Rouge wrote: »
    When it comes to politics I don't think boards.ie is community per se, feels more like a battlezone.

The Lisbon Treaty was also a fad for a while with droves of the "one-trick-ponies".

Politics is a civil war carried out by non-violent means essentially.

nesf wrote: »
    Politics is a civil war carried out by non-violent means essentially.
    Debate: the ultimate turn-based strategy game.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

How do I open this in Open Office?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,993 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Can we graph the number of occurrences of the term "private sector" alongside it and see if the lines diverge?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,421 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Terry wrote: »
    How do I open this in Open Office?
    Try "save to disk" and then open it.

Compacted graph attached (and don't whinge you can't open png files!).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Many people just use the abbreviation PS

is this taken into account?

Advertisement