Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavily pregnant and still smoking and drinking

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

But some people just can't breastfeed, not an option. Also if it was harmful to the child it would not be legal.

You mean like certain E numbers? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

neeb wrote: »
    The WHO says the mother milk in a bottle or doner milk should be used before formula.

I can't believe that I got a warning for saying that formula is harmful to babies. Could you point me to some scientific references to support that please

Does it really need scientific references? Does the WHO say formula in Ireland is harmful to babies or does it recommend breast milk? For the second time, not following WHO recommendations is not the same as giving your baby a harmful product. If you look in any school playground can you spot the babies that were fed breast milk & those that were formula fed? No. Me neither. You think formula is harmful = does damage, common sense would tell you that's nonsense (certainly in this part of the world) & your language choice is designed to be inflammatory. :rolleyes:

The chemical codes "E numbers" are found through-out the natural world. It would be nigh on impossible to get through life without consuming E numbers even if you avoided all food additives.

My son was premature and had severe reflux, he was given a formula by his paediatrician as well as my breast milk. It saved his life - I'm failing to see how it could be regarded as harmful. Thalidomide is harmful to babies, nuclear radiation is harmful, there are a multitude of things that are harmful to babies, that damage them, hurt them and kill them. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

I couldn't breastfeed and I have raised 3 perfectly healthy children on formula.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭snuggles09

foxy06 wrote: »
    I couldn't breastfeed and I have raised 3 perfectly healthy children on formula.

+1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

I also could not breast feed, I was stubborn and tried and tried, I resprted to using a pump and after 25mns could not even get a drop, there was literally nothing there, surely if it were not for forumla my child would have starved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

The OP was talking about a woman who is a nurse. If she is smoking and drinking heavily she should know the harm it can do to her baby. If she was trying to get pg then she should hae been cutting out smoking before hand. If she was unable to do so should that not have given her some concern about getting pg. She knows the risks and is willing to take them. No doubt she will be the gob**** in A&E with her asthamtic baby wondering why he/she is so sick and not willing to take any responsibility for her childs health. Mind you it will be the childs lifelong burden to bear - not hers.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭neeb

Does it really need scientific references? Does the WHO say formula in Ireland is harmful to babies or does it recommend breast milk? For the second time, not following WHO recommendations is not the same as giving your baby a harmful product. If you look in any school playground can you spot the babies that were fed breast milk & those that were formula fed? No. Me neither. You think formula is harmful = does damage, common sense would tell you that's nonsense (certainly in this part of the world) & your language choice is designed to be inflammatory. :rolleyes:

Breastfeeding is better for babies
    Formula is designed to replace a better product, so if it did not exist babies would be healthier, so its harmful, no?
    Its our culture to think formula is fine, its not true.

About the mom who was smoking and drinking, those things can be addictions over which she may have very little control. Its very sad for her baby but possibly also sad for her. Another part of our culture is to think anyone with a drink problem has brought it on themselves and should be able to stop easily, thats not true either.

Formula is designed to replace a better product, so if it did not exist babies would be healthier, so its harmful, no?

Just because there is potentially a better alternative does not mean it is harmful. I say potentially as the alternative isnt always available to everyone, as shown above. I would side with you and say breast feeding is better, and that is why I tried so hard to do it, but without formula what would have happened to my child since I could not produce the goods??? After 5 days of pain for me and starvation for her as she was getting next to nothing all I could do was give her formula, even then the nurses advised to try longer but I could not do that to my child.

NO. :confused:

If formula didn't exist many more babies would die because they would have nothing to drink. There are lots of wonderful ways to promote breastfeeding, using inflammatory language against formula has never been one of them.

Water is a better alternative for me than apple juice. Does that equate to apple juice being harmful? Of course not. Breast milk has lots of added benefits that formula doesn't, that doesn't make formula harmful, it makes it a second best choice. I think you are being deliberately obtuse.

• Advertisement

About the mom who was smoking and drinking, those things can be addictions over which she may have very little control. Its very sad for her baby but possibly also sad for her. Another part of our culture is to think anyone with a drink problem has brought it on themselves and should be able to stop easily, thats not true either.

The woman in question planned to have her baby. Maybe she should have dealt with her addictions before doing this. She is smoking B+H - she could move to a lower tar cigarette if she coldn't quit altogether, as well as cutting down on the number. Anyone I know who smoked during pg cut way down and went onto lighter cigs if they couldn't quit. There is no suggestion this woman is an alcoholic she just drinks scotch. If she is an alcoholic then she was incredibly foolish to plan to have a baby at all. As a nurse she knows the risks. Our culture may be quick to judge people with addictions but I fine we're also quick to makes excuses for them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

There's a lot of women here saying "I smoked all through my pregnancy and my kids were fine", well you were very lucky! My mother smoked through her pregnancy on me, I was premature and spent most of my childhood on a ventilator with bad asthma. My mother still continues to smoke into my face and actually had the nerve the other day to blame my asthma on stress or some nonsense she read in womans own.
    I never forgave her for wrecking my lungs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

The chemical codes "E numbers" are found through-out the natural world. It would be nigh on impossible to get through life without consuming E numbers even if you avoided all food additives.

My son was premature and had severe reflux, he was given a formula by his paediatrician as well as my breast milk. It saved his life - I'm failing to see how it could be regarded as harmful. Thalidomide is harmful to babies, nuclear radiation is harmful, there are a multitude of things that are harmful to babies, that damage them, hurt them and kill them. :confused:

I quoted my post and highlighted the key word in it for you ;)

I quoted my post and highlighted the key word in it for you ;)

Thanks. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Ciara7

There's a lot of women here saying "I smoked all through my pregnancy and my kids were fine", well you were very lucky! My mother smoked through her pregnancy on me, I was premature and spent most of my childhood on a ventilator with bad asthma. My mother still continues to smoke into my face and actually had the nerve the other day to blame my asthma on stress or some nonsense she read in womans own.
    I never forgave her for wrecking my lungs.

I do disagree with smoking but also think people blame smoking too easy. People say this and that happened because my mam smoked but they could easily be the same even if she didn't smoke something we will never know!!
    My friends little fella is on inhaler after inhaler in and out of hosp with asthma and she never smoked my point is if she did smoke while pregnant she and I would prob say it was down to smoke but she didn't so what his sickness down too!!!

Ciara7 wrote: »
    I do disagree with smoking but also think people blame smoking too easy. People say this and that happened because my mam smoked but they could easily be the same even if she didn't smoke something we will never know!!
    My friends little fella is on inhaler after inhaler in and out of hosp with asthma and she never smoked my point is if she did smoke while pregnant she and I would prob say it was down to smoke but she didn't so what his sickness down too!!!

My DS has a mild form of asthma. I can't "blame" smoking either but my GP assures me that if I was a smoker my DS would have full blown asthma and would be a very sick child. Your friend can't "blame" fags either but if she did smoke her son would be far sicker. Some children are born with conditions but at least your friend can look at herself in the mirror and know that she didn't contribute to his illness. Imagine how she'd feel if she had smoked and had a sick child.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭neeb

NO. :confused:

If formula didn't exist many more babies would die because they would have nothing to drink.

They would be wet nursed or drink doner milk like what happened before formula was invented

They would be wet nursed or drink doner milk like what happened before formula was invented

I was a milk donor, I think you are being ridiculous. Formula has it's place, it's not the devils drink, ffs. How people choose to feed their children is up to them, formula is not so monumentally damaging to babies in Ireland that it's worth getting your knickers in a twist about. My son was fed both formula and breast milk & it meant he put on weight faster & his life was out of danger faster, could have been a very different story on breast milk alone. What do you think infant mortality rates were before formula was invented for babies in his condition?! :rolleyes:

I think it may be another thing to add in here that some mothers just do not have healthy diets and therefor formula may be better for them. When I was attempting to breast feed I tried to eat as healthy as possible but my diet is far fom healthy at the best of times, as much as I try I always revert back and I could bet that formula would have more goodness than anything I would have produced with my normal diet. I am sure this applies to a lot of people. And no before anyone tries to say I should lead by example or my children will be the same, my kids happily enjoy large veg dinners, lots of fruit etc etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Pregnant women should also be forced to give up stressful Jobs as its harmful to the baby. They should also be forced to breast feed.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

Boston wrote: »
    Pregnant women should also be forced to give up stressful Jobs as its harmful to the baby. They should also be forced to breast feed.

How can a pregnant woman breast feed? Shove her nipple down her throat or up her vagina?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Jo King wrote: »
    How can a pregnant woman breast feed? Shove her nipple down her throat or up her vagina?

Husbands need milk to yea know.

If you're going to be ridiculous, so can I./

Great! Thread hijacked by the breast v bottle brigade. Yawn :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I am locking this thread, I expected a lot better from several posters, next time there will be bans.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement