Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

31 students arrested after Christmas party in the City

• 03-12-2009 6:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭

Gardaí in Waterford arrested 31 students last night and in the early hours of this morning for a range of public order offences and Fighting in the city.
    It is understood the students were out celebrating their annual Christmas Day event when the arrests were made.

Most of the arrests took place in the city centre, Lismore Park and Templars Hall housing estates.

Gardaí say they will be talking to authorities at Waterford Institute of Technology in relation to the matter. Gives the Gardai something to do lol

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

RobitTV wrote: »
    Gardaí in Waterford arrested 31 students last night and in the early hours of this morning for a range of public order offences and Fighting in the city.
    It is understood the students were out celebrating their annual Christmas Day event when the arrests were made.

Most of the arrests took place in the city centre, Lismore Park and Templars Hall housing estates.

Gardaí say they will be talking to authorities at Waterford Institute of Technology in relation to the matter. Gives the Gardai something to do lol

I was out running last night,passed muldoons-Rubys crossroads and there was loads of messing going on,a selection of them decided to run down the road with me,soon shook them off,wasnt a joke for them after about 100 metres,that was around 7:30...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭irishvamp90

I went down from limerick to my friend last year and it was shocking,the loat of students acting like complete scumbags was unreal.Not saying it was all W.I.T students it was a mix of w.i.t.,people down from other colleges and just alot of wasters from other countys to get drunk cheap mid week.We got attacked by some waster from kilkenny,whothe guard told us had lots of drunk offences in kk and waterford but seemed all respectable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Out of the four odd christmass days I went too,

1. Girl got glass beside me in the Dome yeer man just threw his pint over his shoulder ala begbie in trainspotting.

2. A Girl got raped on the quay.

3. A guy git run over by a lorry after from what I heard he climed onto it at a red ligght.

4. An all out riot broke out and they had to pull the fire alarm in the dome to get everyone out.

5. An apartment got thrashed I mean thrashed in manor village the lads who lived there got evicted and fined something like 11k.

6. I was half jumped outside abbra forr no reason only the fact the guards where there i'm sure I would have got my ass kicked.

Problem is its not "christmass day" anymore that was canceled by the college after incident 1. there is NOTHING they can do about it as its just a randomly picked wednesday in december every year and not offical.

Oh and of course BLOODY STUDENTS :pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

overall, it's just a messy, messy night.. and there's nothing that can be done about it, since there's no real organisation involved.

Myself, I wound up in work today with pink polkadot socks.

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭irishvamp90

Im in lit,im getting my free fee's but its shocking the amount of scobes/scum/chavs that are going to college it really has downed the value of going

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

On my way home yesterday I came onto paddy browns road via the cork road and there was about 10 guards outside The Park Inn about 5:30. If the trouble was starting that early it must have been a crazy night in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

Next Year the Gardai will be Prepared If the gardai Arrested 31 people this year what is it going to be like next year??

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭zeppe

Well it looks like the guards were a bit tougher this year which is good.
    They could do with some riot police too at this stage though, this kind of behaviour should not be tolerated. I was in the old RTC from 90-92( f**k, 17 years ago!) and there was nothing like this carry on. I'd love to know what exactly has changed. More money, cheaper alcohol, cocaine?
    I know I'm getting old and digressing a bit but I worry for the safety of my children in this country nowadays..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Dr. Baltar

As a student myself, I've got to say that this kind of behaviour sickens me. Sure I go out and have a laugh and get drunk ect. but there is a line between fun and fun at someone elses expense. It's sad that a minority such as this brings the reputation of all students in Ireland down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

I went to WIT and hung around with lads from Wexford and Tipp there. There were absolutely insane. I think there is something about growing up in the country, they seemed to think they could anything and it was ok like fighting bouncers, ripping stuff of walls, kicking full wheelie bins out onto the road and thats the mild stuff. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Dr. Baltar wrote: »
    As a student myself, I've got to say that this kind of behaviour sickens me. Sure I go out and have a laugh and get drunk ect. but there is a line between fun and fun at someone elses expense. It's sad that a minority such as this brings the reputation of all students in Ireland down.

I have often stood up for students on here, I work in UCC and I do feel they get a raw deal at times. BUT it is not a small minority on christmass day. if anything it seems to be 50/50.

Sure on regular student nights it can be 99% of them are only drunk/have to be brought home but for some reason this day at least for every year I was in WIT all bets where off.

Very worrying trend IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

WIT want to have the college upgraded to a uni?:confused:Not with this carry on. God help the residents.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭j walsh

I was working in Oxygen night club last night and in fifteen years of doing door work, It was one of the worst nights that I've ever worked, I wouldn't say people causing trouble was 50/50 as there's an awful lot of nice students out there but there was some amount of scum bags out last night, I saw so many incidents where people just walking past people and bumping into them and getting smacked in the head and then all hell breaks loose, it was happening all night long, They really gave the majority students a bad name.
    The amount of them that had no respect for property, others, bouncers and more so gardai was unbelieveable.....
    I think there was a full moon last night as well so that would play a part in the madness. don't laugh I'm serious....Along with drinking all day as well of course...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Elbows22

j walsh wrote: »
    I was working in Oxygen night club last night and in fifteen years of doing door work, It was one of the worst nights that I've ever worked, I wouldn't say people causing trouble was 50/50 as there's an awful lot of nice students out there but there was some amount of scum bags out last night, I saw so many incidents where people just walking past people and bumping into them and getting smacked in the head and then all hell breaks loose, it was happening all night long, They really gave the majority students a bad name.
    The amount of them that had no respect for property, others, bouncers and more so gardai was unbelieveable.....
    I think there was a full moon last night as well so that would play a part in the madness. don't laugh I'm serious....Along with drinking all day as well of course...

Oh the memories of working in oxygen for college christmas :). To be fair a lot of the trouble around last night was from people coming to waterford for the christmas day and not students themselves. Im not backing up students because personally i hate them (different breed of people altogether) but from what ive seen and heard this was the case. Park inn had to be closed and cleared out at 4 ish on the day - they do this every year - students early in the day then close and reopen for regulars later on about 8. Apparently a young lad was hit by a car outside madigans at the end of the nite with the girls driving the car doing a runner. Crazy night but just your typical Wednesday nights just a little bit busier. Theres talk of banning college christmas days in the wit altogether but i can't see this working as they will all go out in there numbers on the first Wednesday of December as this is traditionally the day set out for it.
    Some of the madness last night - riots in rubys, oxygen and harveys and people urinating everywhere including up against bars,cars and well basically everywhere - madness - some of them just need a good kick in the a**e. Templars Hall is just gone rediculious but to be honest residents should have thought about where they were moving to before they moved into the biggest student housing estate in the city -no excuse i know but sure what did they expect??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Feck it I was gonna go into town and all. Damn hicks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭shapez

Can someone give an outline of exactly what kind of mayhem went on? Are we talking drunk & disorderly offenses, fights etc. I did hear of a couple who were caught having sex in the front lawn of a house in Lismore Park at 12.30 in the afternoon. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭Mr check raise

shapez wrote: »
    Can someone give an outline of exactly what kind of mayhem went on? Are we talking drunk & disorderly offenses, fights etc. I did hear of a couple who were caught having sex in the front lawn of a house in Lismore Park at 12.30 in the afternoon. :rolleyes:

Damn i missed it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

shapez wrote: »

I believe there was a caller on to Billy McCarthy saying that a man and his daughter were stopped at traffic lights somewhere in the evening and a student repeatedly exposed himself to the girl. When told to stop by the father, he replied that he likes them young! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭shapez

gscully wrote: »
    I believe there was a caller on to Billy McCarthy saying that a man and his daughter were stopped at traffic lights somewhere in the evening and a student repeatedly exposed himself to the girl. When told to stop by the father, he replied that he likes them young! :mad:

Whoa. Sounds like the whole town was something out of a Resident Evil movie. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

gscully wrote: »

I drove home from work at 4pm and at the roundabout on Paddy Brown's Road by the college I saw nearly 10 people get knocked down. Students who were absolutely wasted were walking through moving traffic, completely oblivious. I said to myself that there was definitely going to be some sort of crash sooner or later..

Lo and behold I drove by the same spot around 6pm a car was being removed from the junction of Paddy Brown's Road and Sunrise Crescent. The whole front of it was smashed. I was told later that a drunk driving student had enough of queuing in traffic, decided to drive up on to grass next to the road to pass out traffic and swiftly drove straight into a tree. The drunk driving student part hasn't been confirmed but the car definitely hit the tree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

Yip, saw that as well around 6.15 when I was dropping my son up to boxing. Car smashed in on grass verge just down from Bad Bobs. Two youngish girls around 18 -19 being questioned by Garda.

Later when I was collectiing him at about 7.45 there were two cars at the island across from AOL on main Cork Road at the traffic lights pulled up on the grass and about 8 or 9 youths gathered around the cars - looked like one had also hit a tree.

But cant confirm what their occupation was.

Also noticed the unmarked Garda cars patrolling the Lismore Park areas and a number of Gardai on the corner of the Park Inn.

In my opinion the ones that were arrested that were students should be expelled and made an example of and maybe this would be a future deterrent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

jimbojazz wrote: »

In my opinion the ones that were arrested that were students should be expelled and made an example of and maybe this would be a future deterrent.

Agree with you on that one. Send them home with no registration or fees refunded with no further chance to ever attend the WIT again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

That's what happens when they let the riff raff into 3rd-level. Education-for-all me hole!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

Paddy@CIRL wrote: »
    Agree with you on that one. Send them home with no registration or fees refunded with no further chance to ever attend the WIT again.

Agreed! Amazing how they can march in protest about tuition fees, complaining that they'll have no money, yet they spend an absolute fortune on drinking and partying, and obviously have no concept of value if they can treat their cars so recklessly...not to mention the little value they have for human life!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭calerbass

Howdy, to say that its only a minority is wide of the mark, more like the majority. My sister has a house in Templars Hall and i can tell you if you went in their on a wednsday night it would nt be just one or two houses. What she is putting up with there is just unbelievable. She previously brought one landlord to court through going to the court clerk and lodging a complaint under the noise pollution act. The landlord was continously hostile and refused to sort the problem which led him to court. He was living across the road with students so how do you deal with the likes of him, this guy owned five houses and was from limerick. He got what he deserved in court and was warned if he found himself back in the court over the samer problem within a year he would get 30 days in prison.

She like all the other genuine residents should not have to put up with what goes on there, they can have all the stewards in yellow jackets they want policing housing estates but as long as their is no direct disciplinary action in the college for students behaviour outside of it, it will never be sorted. The law is an ass because the guards cant act but if you go up to john st and act the monkey you ll be arrested. People should make their voice heard when their campaigning for a university, local councillors with their mickey mouse videos on you tube saying how great it would be to have university status my ass. I hope it never happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I wasn't out because I knew this kind of carry on would go on. It always does. Bunch of sheep feel the need to go out at get off their face before lunchtime. I was talking to a taxi driver last night and he said he was giving loads of them taxis home at 4PM because they were already twisted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭actuallylike

ziedth wrote: »
    Oh and of course BLOODY STUDENTS :pac::pac::pac::pac:

Not really fair with your label 'student' there, they're just young scumbags that happen to be students, the fact that they're students obviously has nothing to do with it. I'm a student (mature) and I resent every time a student does something out of college, people blame it all on students.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its on Liveline!

www.rte.ie/radio1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

Guy from Lismore park on Joe duffy now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

I went to WIT and hung around with lads from Wexford and Tipp there. There were absolutely insane. I think there is something about growing up in the country, they seemed to think they could anything and it was ok like fighting bouncers, ripping stuff of walls, kicking full wheelie bins out onto the road and thats the mild stuff. :eek:

If you exchange the Counties of Mayo and Roscommon for Wexford and Tipp the exact is true for Sligo, throwing life preservers into the river is a big one with the Galoots here.

Advertisement