Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

31 students arrested after Christmas party in the City

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,260 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Guy from Lismore park on Joe duffy now.
    Yeah you're furious are you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭shapez

Listening to Joe Duffy. Some people didn't even scratch the surface of what kind of events happened on Wednesday.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

mike65 wrote: »
    Its on Liveline!

www.rte.ie/radio1

Was it on Liveline earlier this week?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Don't think so but I haven't heard it every day. (check Liveline thread on radio forum)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭markok84

it's dem bloody stew-dents joe!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭TheFlatulator

I think a lot of whats your saying is hypocritical... These students are your brothers and sisters who go to college or are you friends or your relatives. So what have ye done to stop it bar bi*ch and whine....

What you need to do come down on them like a ton of bricks if you find out some one you know was doing that otherwise you are just pi**ing the wind.

Yes there are people out there that are scumbags but labling students as scumbags but where are there parents why they not given them the common sense to be nice. We are all accountable for this, so it will only get resolved when you yourself stand up and make your voice heard. It can done, when I was a student they wanted to ban christmas in 2001 and 2002, I took part in a demonstration and I also helped to stop anybody acting the maggot.

The same can be said for most people of waterford, when they out and get drunk, why not ban ruby, muldoons and all other pubs from serving because the irish publicans are greedy and thats why this allowed to happen. Why don't you target them, and then target the over active drink problem the irish nation has because you all have made this acceptable.

Do what I did when some some pi**ed against my front door, follow them and call the guards and lead them to your position and give a statement and have them charged...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭JohnC.

It's our fault? God forbid these students, who are allegedly adults, take some responsibility for themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭TheFlatulator

Where did they learn the behaviour from? Where did they get the acceptance of such actions?

We've allowed this to happen, are you as a future parent allow you kids to do this? I know I won't and I know my parents didn't... So ask yourself who do you know is a student. Then ask yourself, are they behaving like scumbags, if they are what have you done about it.

The fact is they won't take responcibility for themselves, so who should, I will, i'll stand up to them.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I think a lot of whats your saying is hypocritical... These students are your brothers and sisters who go to college or are you friends or your relatives. So what have ye done to stop it bar bi*ch and whine....

No relation of mine out there that night, that I can say for sure. In fact, any of my friends that went out that night were not acting in any shape or form that was to cause trouble.
    What you need to do come down on them like a ton of bricks if you find out some one you know was doing that otherwise you are just pi**ing the wind.

I can think of several of my close friends who would do exactly that in such an event, and try to cop them on during the night in question. At the end of the day, while we can try, its not always going to make the right impact.
    Yes there are people out there that are scumbags but labling students as scumbags but where are there parents why they not given them the common sense to be nice. We are all accountable for this, so it will only get resolved when you yourself stand up and make your voice heard. It can done, when I was a student they wanted to ban christmas in 2001 and 2002, I took part in a demonstration and I also helped to stop anybody acting the maggot.

Well, seeing as it was a student night out and a large majority out there were students (or of that age group) - its a somewhat fair assesment to make. I witneessed the ****e on John St. and they were mostly students (or of that age group). Not every student is a scumbag, fair enough, but "31 arrests" is nothing compared to the trouble that actually went on that night.

The event should be banned or controlled better - every year it gives a bad name to the city, gives hell for the Guards, local businesses and residents. With rapes and big accidents (some causing deaths) as a result of such occasions - it can no longer be deeemed acceptable and should be stopped.

[quote[The same can be said for most people of waterford, when they out and get drunk, why not ban ruby, muldoons and all other pubs from serving because the irish publicans are greedy and thats why this allowed to happen. Why don't you target them, and then target the over active drink problem the irish nation has because you all have made this acceptable.[/quote]

Well, on every night of the week or busy weekend when Waterford people and visitors go out on the piss it does not create as much havoc and stress that Christmas Day (and Rag Week in some respects) causes to the people of Waterford and the Guards. The trouble caused throughout the general drinking occasions throughout the year is very very small compared to that caused by the students going out on a full daily binge starting early in the morning working their way up to the early hours of the next morning.
    Do what I did when some some pi**ed against my front door, follow them and call the guards and lead them to your position and give a statement and have them charged...

A bit more to it then that, tbh. The incident should not have occured in the first place.

Where did they learn the behaviour from? Where did they get the acceptance of such actions?

We've allowed this to happen, are you as a future parent allow you kids to do this? I know I won't and I know my parents didn't... So ask yourself who do you know is a student. Then ask yourself, are they behaving like scumbags, if they are what have you done about it.

The fact is they won't take responcibility for themselves, so who should, I will, i'll stand up to them.

Parents have a huge role to play in this also, sure. But at the end of the day these people are now considered adults and should be well able to make judgement calls on when enough is enough (drink wise) and what not to do on a night out.

The only way this is ever going to be resolved is if the Guards take a VERY strict policy on this. Put in a number of restrictions for local pubs/clubs to curb the whole daily binge and clubs opening early to cash in on the pissed students. A large presense and be prepared to tell local businesses to "close up" if things get out of hand. A happy medium as such.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 pebblesman

Ok I think its horribly unfair to brand these 31 people in the same catagory as every student. Im in college in GMIT and we had our Christmas day party yesterday and yes i was drunk and so was 90% of the college but the night went along well without any hassle and that seems to be the same as every other event in the college. There are some people who do get out of hand but you dont have to be a student for that to happen.

Galway is a student city and Im sure that is fairly similar in Waterford. Galway would be nothing without the students and i see that with every bit of noise made by a minority and it is a minority is always pumped up into something its not. I remember last year there was supposed to have been a riot in our student village and without even thinking you have politicians ringing into radio stations callin for these students to be expelled without even knowing the full story. These are people futures they were just going to flush down the drain.

The college have not got the athority to expell these students from the college anyways as they are over 18 off college grounds and both WIT and there students union said it wasnt a college event....

pebblesman wrote: »
    The college have not got the athority to expell these students from the college anyways as they are over 18 off college grounds and both WIT and there students union said it wasnt a college event....

Incorrect. The college, to the best of my knowledge, have always had powers to root out this type of thing. They are using them against students causing trouble in student estates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 pebblesman

Sully wrote: »
    Incorrect. The college, to the best of my knowledge, have always had powers to root out this type of thing. They are using them against students causing trouble in student estates.
    Yes they can bring disciplinary action on anybody living in student accommodation but cannot expell anybody living in private rental. Its completely out of their hands

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 gordo666

i love the fact that people seem to be tarring the vast majority of students out that night with the same brush really. i'm a student myself, and i was out with a group of 10 or 15 friends (all students) on that night, after drinking most of the afternoon and evening, but did not cause a bit of trouble, and i'm sure roughly 90% of people could say the exact same thing.

i'm not disputing the fact these hooligans that destroyed the town and have made the rest of us that were enjoying the festivities need to be punished, because obviously they got arrested because they done wrong, and i'm sure some of them need to learn to cop on and grow the hell up... but i do not like the fact that there are people giving out about ALL students in WIT, especially when it has been claimed that only 1 or 2 of those arrested were actually students in WIT, with the rest being people visiting from other parts of the country, or possibly even locals

just for the record, i'm a waterford lad myself, so i am annoyed at the state of the place after it all, but i've seen saturday nights that have been just as bad, if not worse... and they aren't discussed for days on billy mccarthy or on liveline.... it just appears that since it's to do with the college everyone jumped at the opportunity to give out and have a moan about the students

so at the end of the day:

:mad: yes, it was disgraceful how filthy town was left after it all

:mad: yes, anyone that has vandalised the place needs to be punished, and don't think anyone can say otherwise

:cool: HOWEVER people need to realise that this happens more often than they think in waterford, and that saturday nights (where all the students come home from around the country to visit mammy and daddy) can be just as bad, if not worse.... we either just don't hear about it, or people tend to gloss over it because people don't want to acknowledge the fact that their precious little boy or girl could be stupid enough to get drunk and do something bold!!

If 90% of people did not cause a bit of trouble, 10% is still far too many to be causing trouble. Say there were 3000 people out that night, 300 of them causing trouble is far too many, it shows that there is a very significant proportion of scumbags in WIT - don't try to blame it on other students, FAS or people who arent students or whatever - WIT is a bit of a scum hole at this stage and that is a fact. Thank fcuk it will never be a University

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

Say there were 3000 people out that night, 300 of them causing trouble is far too many, it shows that there is a very significant proportion of scumbags in WIT
    :rolleyes:
    Apparently only 1 of the 31 arrested was a student in WIT, so that's a bit harsh now...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

The problem with the christmas day in waterford is that loads of people come down from dublin to visit friends for the night or whatever, thats what creates the problems!

I know plenty of people in WIT but i know far more that went down for the night out.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 phil16phil

I am a mature student studying a full time day course in WIT and the queue outside the dome that morning had to be seen to be believed. I,m not for one moment condoning what happened Wednesday. But people need to be reasonable.

The students are... by and large good people and good for the city. Blanket brandishing all students as scumbags, calling for the college to expel students over something that happens in town and bringing the University argument into the equation is unhelpful.

By all means highlight the issues but do it in a manner that is reasonable.

blue-army wrote: »
    :rolleyes:
    Apparently only 1 of the 31 arrested was a student in WIT, so that's a bit harsh now...
    Where is this one student being arrested figure coming from?

And if it is true (yeah right) it doesn't excuse the amount of trouble the scumbags caused on Wednesday night, it just shows more of them got away with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭homolumo

time to get rid of Christmas Day, it started off with the good intention of raising money for charity then the drinking took priority and now it is out of hand. WIT has a big part to play in this and even though closing the Dome would just mean drinking elsewhere it should close for the day. It all
    comes down to money and considering the incidents that have occurred over the years it beggars belief that WIT still plays a part in it. Looking at the bigger pic it is all just symptomatic of the Irish attitude towards drinking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 403 ✭✭counterpointaud

Where is this one student being arrested figure coming from?

And if it is true (yeah right) it doesn't excuse the amount of trouble the scumbags caused on Wednesday night, it just shows more of them got away with it

Yeah, I heard just 1 of the 31 were from Waterford. Can someone confirm which is true ?

For the record, I think we have a serious problem here. I used to rent in Templars hall a couple of years ago and it was already a nightmare then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭JohnC.

homolumo wrote: »
    time to get rid of Christmas Day, it started off with the good intention of raising money for charity then the drinking took priority and now it is out of hand. WIT has a big part to play in this and even though closing the Dome would just mean drinking elsewhere it should close for the day. It all
    comes down to money and considering the incidents that have occurred over the years it beggars belief that WIT still plays a part in it. Looking at the bigger pic it is all just symptomatic of the Irish attitude towards drinking.

It's been said a few times already that WIT don't play a part in it. It isn't an official event any more. They just take it upon themselves to get pissed and cause trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭j walsh

If it wasn't so mental out that night, there would have being a lot more than 31 arrested, gardai just didn't have the man power to arrest more, and were only making arrests for the more serious crimes!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭LETS BE AVN IT

Find it hard to believe only 1 of the 31 arrests went to WIT ! this just seems imposible with the 1,000s of WIT students out ! Think it was just a rumour started by someone trying to make the WIT look better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Find it hard to believe only 1 of the 31 arrests went to WIT ! this just seems imposible with the 1,000s of WIT students out ! Think it was just a rumour started by someone trying to make the WIT look better.
    I would be far more likely to believe that it was only one person from Waterford City that was arrested.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭LETS BE AVN IT

AdMMM wrote: »
    I would be far more likely to believe that it was only one person from Waterford City that was arrested.
    Ye same here! In fairness to local students they be the first to give out to one of their out of county mates acting the maggot! Local waterford people do have respect for the place as their the ones that have to listen to all the stick after something like this!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 935 ✭✭✭giles lynchwood

Go out,get pissed,throw up,loud,piss in public generally being a wanker,in step the guard's to restore law and order,paperwork,day in court and a dangerous criminal in the system.
    Cause a complete breakdown in law and order,run amok in stolen car's,carry gun's,pipebombs and cost us a fortune in garda overtime,result
    All charges struck out.Am i reading to much into this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭magicface

Happy Christmas to all these guys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

gordo666 wrote: »

:cool: HOWEVER people need to realise that this happens more often than they think in waterford, and that saturday nights (where all the students come home from around the country to visit mammy and daddy) can be just as bad, if not worse.... we either just don't hear about it, or people tend to gloss over it because people don't want to acknowledge the fact that their precious little boy or girl could be stupid enough to get drunk and do something bold!!

C'mon 31 people get arrested for drunk and disorderly behaviour more often than we think ? I've never heard of that many arrests in waterford, ever !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 935 ✭✭✭giles lynchwood

From 92 to 06 i worked in the latenight entertainment industry in waterford and was in constant touch with security,customers and staff
    My descripton of student's is and has been for many years.
    They drink to much,their loud,messy and puke everywhere,but there is no trouble in them.

Advertisement