Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dirk's Super Training Plan 2010

• 03-12-2009 6:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭

...will be revealed shortly.

Under construction, etc.

Goals: Racing, no more certificate chasing for sportives. Maybe some TT work, just like Alberto I want to be an all rounder.

If in 6 months this is my only post and my training has been non-existent, I will give my road bike away for free. Honestly, it's now or never!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭abcdggs

Dibs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Noted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

If the deal falls through with abcdgss, I'll take it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Goals: Racing, no more certificate chasing for sportives. Maybe some TT work, just like Alberto I want to be an all rounder..............
    it's now or never!
    It is now in writing!

Best of luck Dirk

I'll take those wheels by the way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Dirk, you will love the racing.

Dibs on your Sidi overshoes and Italia jersey.

• Advertisement

sy wrote: »
    It is now in writing!

Best of luck Dirk

I'll take those wheels by the way
    Raam wrote: »
    Dirk, you will love the racing.

Dibs on your Sidi overshoes and Italia jersey.

Thank you both, your requests are also noted, as is Blorg's (does he really need yet another bike?).

Writing up the plan at the moment, basing it mostly on a weird mash-up of my Carmichael book and Raam's link to the 12 week winter plan along with some gym work.

I'm not sure if it will work and feel free to pick holes in it, but at least having this log might make me get out on the bike which has been something of a problem lately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭Junior

I'll have your soul since the vultures have taken everything else, best of luck dude !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

...Raam's link to the 12 week winter...

I must point out that Caroline linked to it first ages ago.

Woops, still have to upload the actual details.

Well, started today. Monday, Wednesday and Friday are "gym" days, where I can ridicule myself in front of giants lifting weights and pretty girls strengthening their buns.

I missed the entire month of november. I'll be honest, I'm not a gym person. Whenever I go I feel like everyone is watching me and shaking their heads at my pathetic attempts to curl a 2Kg dumbell (joke! I can lift 3Kg suckers!). I have always thought gyms were just the refuge of the vain and lacked the "natural" feel of exercising outdoors. Also, they are darned expensive!

So, I told myself "HTFU - what would Alberto do?". After pondering this for some time and accepting that I knew nothing about professional cycling, I hauled my rather untoned mass down to the gym.

Problem number one: I had forgotten the plan that the guy had made for me after I briefly described Lance's exercises in that video he made and asked for something along those lines. I think I ended up spending 15 minutes on the bike warming up, ramping it up to level 15 for a few big efforts. I seemed to be the only person sweating, and it was coming in floods. Legs wobbly, I dismounted from the bike and carried on with the rest of the programme (details later). I ended up making a lot of mistakes, forgetting the proper form and what not. I also noticed a nasty looking vein on my left calf (these freak me out, the possibility of varicose veins is something that worries me). Cycle home in the rain along the rock road and my legs didn't feel too bad (about 22km of cycling there and back).

I have also signed up for a spinning class, I will know tomorrow whether this is a waste of time or a useful addition to the plan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Pardon me for asking. But would it not be easier to get race fit by instead if spending that hour ir so in the gym you spent an hour on the bike three times week.
    I mean you like cycling and dislike thw gym. You are reasonably thin so hardly need go lose weight.

The only reason to go to gyms is to stare a the bikini clad babes while in the sauna.

• Advertisement

The main reasons are:

1) My brother is in France on erasmus and asked me to take his membership through a transfer until he came back. This worked out well intially because of...

2) I am light, but I lack power and have woeful flexibility. I wanted to work on these two things and while hours on a turbo might have helped, I thought that professional tutelage and a proper programme of focused weights and stretches would address these things. After all, I've been cycling a bit now and my flexibility is still poor, and my strength hasn't really increased.

And as you say, the talent on show makes a welcome change from the window to the back garden.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

ROK ON wrote: »
    The only reason to go to gyms is to stare a the bikini clad babes while in the sauna.

I followed the Joe Friel plan pretty closely one winter in particular and found immediate translations on to the strength on the bike. Partic as you switched through the phases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭godihatethehils

I have also signed up for a spinning class, I will know tomorrow whether this is a waste of time or a useful addition to the plan.

Eagerly awaiting a report from Dirk's first day at spin.....

Thursday 11th December - Beginner's spin class (can it be worked into the programme?)

I like argyle patterning.

Why? I can't really say, but when I saw the Garmin kit with it's argyle print, all orange and blue, I knew I had to have it. Wearing it on the bike felt good. I felt like a pro.

Wearing it to the gym, however, would have been a bad idea. Cycling is a loud sport, full of exuberant personalities (maybe it's a side effect of the doping?) and brightly coloured kits. But in the sterile surrounds of the gym, where black is the new black, I didn't think that the Garmin jersey would go down well. So, I threw it back into the wardrobe and grabbed a Briko red/white jersey for the spin class. Oh, speaking of the wardrobe, I have graduated from “a few cycling clothes sitting on top of/next to regular clothes” and now have a cycling wardrobe. Well, half a wardrobe. The walk in wardrobe cum massage area will have to wait.

Skipping ahead a bit and I'm walking to the spin room, which unfortunately is located past the main gym floor. So, there I am in my tight jersey and even tighter lycra shorts, trying to skip unnoticed past the weight lifters and bun pumpers, feeling like I should explain myself to anyone who gives me an odd glance.

Down a flight of stairs, right at the end of a corridor and I see “spinning room” on the door. I open it up and for a minute think I have been teleported into a club on Leeson street at 9pm. It's dark, with a UV lamp in one corner and a big backlit screen on the wall that switches colours every few minutes and, most strikingly, empty. I'm 5 minutes late.

Just around the corner are two people: a guy leaning against a bike chatting to the girl sitting on it. I had to look twice at her. No, she was not the stunning middle aged beauty I had been hoping for, but there was something familiar about her.

I shake hands with the instructor chap and we get started. Get started? Where the hell is everyone else? After the “is this your first time?” question asked of each of us we get down to business. Excellent, saddle me up and let's start feeling the burn!

No, first things first: setting up the bike. Yes, of course, adjust saddle, bars and away we go. Nope, wrong again. Cue the longwinded (more so than this post) talk about proper saddle position, bar height, aft-fore positioning illustrated with the usual body proportions used as measuring tape. Hips for saddle, no knees locking, elbow from saddle tip should be able to touch the bars, blah blah.

5 minutes later and we are on the bikes. At last. No, please, not again, don't start talking! And talk he did. The rest of the spin class (yes, it was most definitely a class, a lesson in fact) we talked about how to pedal, setting the right resistance, how to sit on the bike, the different hand positions available, what muscles we will be working, why you shouldn't go to Paul's spinning class unless you have been spinning a while and how to spot the slackers on the spinners.

20 minutes. I cycled all the way out here in the freezing cold to have a talk. I came here to feel pain, to suffer next to hot women and maybe pick up a phone number at the end. I sat there, nodding and smiling for 20 minutes. Was it not obvious from my gear that I have some idea about cycling? Probably not. Damn generic Briko jersey, I should have worn the garmin kit and talked about Bradley's latest twitter!

Sighing, I headed back to the changing rooms (skipping silently again) for a shower, even though I hadn't sweated one drop except in my rush to get over here on time. I went to the front desk and asked about the regular spin classes, 40 minuted of pain is what I was told. I damn well hope so, I thought as I headed back into the cold for my commute home.
    Lumen. The girl, she looked like Lumen but with a pony tail. Same eyes, same nose and I reckon the same sandbagging when she described her clicking knee to the instructor.

(Sorry for the blog like post – I was annoyed at wasting time and if I had said “Spin report: No spinning”, you might all have been disappointed).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,156 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

The girl, she looked like Lumen but with a pony tail. Same eyes, same nose and I reckon the same sandbagging when she described her clicking knee to the instructor.

Did you get a phone number? She sounds hot.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Well, thank god you realised it when you did.

Imagine the alternative. There is something about this girl that seems strangely familiar. This intrigues you and you strike up a conversation. You get on great, have a bit of a laugh and end up agreeing to go for drinks. The night flies by and next thing you know she's asking you back for a night cap. Back at her place things start to get passionate and just at the very height of it all you realise why she seems so familiar. Lumen. Lumen with long hair. Oh God.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭c0rk3r

cum massage area

Durty

All the best with the training.

c0rk3r wrote: »
    Durty

All the best with the training.

Yeah, I know I've used that word in a similar context in casual speech, but when typing I was like "actually is that how you spell it?". Normally when I am stuck for spelling I just throw the word into google and the first hit is always a dictionary definition. Suffice it to say, when I threw "cum" into google, I was greeted with some more explicit results.

Can't wait for the next installment!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

I also noticed a nasty looking vein on my left calf (these freak me out, the possibility of varicose veins is something that worries me). Cycle home in the rain along the rock road and my legs didn't feel too bad (about 22km of cycling there and back).
    The vein was probably a side effect of 'teh pump'. nothing to worry about. If you have questions about form and lifting you could check out the fitness forum. Good luck.

Also, did you purposively pick a gym that's out of the way so you have a long cycle?

:pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement

Cheers Brian, I'll give it a look, my form was non-existent.

I live about 5 minutes away from Westwood in Leopardstown, but it's a little busier and a 5km round trip is a little less fun than a 22km one.

Ok, the plan has had to be revised and compressed. Despite the excellent advice of Biker Joe, I am just going to jump straight into Caroline's 12 week winter plan.

Gym sessions break down as follows:

15 min warm up, generally go for the bike as I hate treadmills and despite the saddles being awful, I at least know how to ride a bike.

Legpress - 50Kg (12 x 3)
    Step Ups - 20Kg (12 x 3 - Each Leg)
    Static Lunge - 20Kg (12 x 3 - Each Leg)

Cat stretch (6 x 30 sec)
    Back Extension (12 x 3)
    Hamstring stretch (6 x 20 sec with a 10 sec "stretch further and hold")
    Inner Hamstring (6 x 20 sec)

Plank (3 x 40 sec)
    Crunches (12 x 3)

*12 x 3 seems to be some kind of "default setting", set by instructor and not me, if any fitness buffs think this needs modifying, let me know*

Gym days: Monday, Wednesday, Friday. Will taper back to 2 days a week in Feb.

Cycling: Will do a "copy and paste" on a week by week basis from the 12 week plan and include any commuting for that week. For first few weeks will try and keep HR average down.

Other sports: Monday is football 5/6/7-a-side. 1 hour of non stop running.

Copying Lumen, a weekly review rather than a day by day account.

So....

Week 1:

Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday Sunday
    Gym 1hrTest(Turbo) Gym(prog. review this week) 1hrAP1 Gym 1.5hrsPSx3 Club Spin/Rest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

I am just going to jump straight into Caroline's 12 week winter plan.
    ... I have heard that a few times, yet I can't remember it... My winter training involves getting on the bike as much as I can when I can and cycle my bikes ...

Week 1 review:

Monday - Went to the gym, good start to the week and I actually enjoyed it. Maybe it was the hot girl using the inner thigh machine or the fact that it was me and mostly old age pensioners exercising, but the gym was a nice place to be today.

Tuesday - No cycling, went out on a christmas night with my former postgrad chums. I was driving and it was a "ladies and gentlemen" night out, so I spent most of it trying to keep my nice suit from being ruined. EDIT: Forgot, monday 5-a-side was moved to today. 1 hour of running around punctuated by a 10 minute spell on the sidelines after taking a shot to the balls.

Wednesday - Gym review day. My instructor was how I imagine my youngest brother will be in 10 years time. It was actually the guy who took the spin class I went to (oh sweet irony) and he was asking me "when you go the beach and take off your t-shirt, what's the first thing girls notice?" I wanted to say "my crippling insecurity", but he was looking for something to do with the upper body exercises he was planning. He took one look at my "climbers physique" and started suggesting I do some upper body stuff. When I said I found the legpress easy, he cocked an eyebrow and added another exercise: one legged presses "until failure". He dropped the lunges and added leg curls, writing on my "programme sheet" he apologised as he scribbled the details in a corner, there was no room left on the sheet. I took this as a sign I might be doing too much.

Thursday - Went to see Avatar. Crammed in a quick session before my lift arrived. "Aerobic Power 1" (slightly shortened): 10 min warm up - 4 x (4min High Intensity (230-250W) + 2 min Low Intensity (100-120W)). Avatar in 3D was amazing. Yes, South Park was right, it is "Dances with Smurfs" but my word was it stunning!

Friday - Busy day, didn't get anything done. Boards beers, 'nuff said!

Saturday - Hungover football at 11am. 5-a-side turned out to be 3-a-side and while I still played pretty well and my sprinting pace or touch had not deteriorated, I could run for 5 minutes, feel like I was going to hurl for 1 minute and then start running again.

Sunday - Slept a lot today. Woke up, did nothing, watched West Ham v Chelsea and then went to Paul McCartney at the Point/O2. Epic!

This week I will be better! Yes, there is more going out and Christmas day, but I just have to put in the hours and get on with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Why are you listening to this gym guy? He sounds like a moron. Everyone should know that the first thing the girls notice when a cyclist takes his shirt off at the beach is his sunken chest and bizarre tan-lines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭The tax man

Is your instructor White Goodman by any chance?
    white-758546.jpg

Week 2 Review:

Nothing Done. Week 3 now goes back to being week 2 :(

New Week 2:

Monday: Decided not go to the gym, have a bit of a cold which always seems to go straight for my chest. Also, crappy weather has me pinned inside.

Tuesday: Aerobic Power 4: Only managed 3 of the 4 intervals. My room is not the place for a turbo, no air so even on the low intensity sections I couldn't cool down. Also think my lungs are not better yet.

10 min warm up.
    3 min High Intensity (250-260W)
    2 min Low Intensity (100-110W)
    3 x (6 min H.I.(230-260W) + 4 min L.I. (90-100W)).

Had to skip number 4 and the cool down, felt ill climbing off the turbo. My last interval was going between 200-230W. Need to either bring the turbo outside onto the deck or properly cool the room beforehand and open the windows for ventilation. Also, turn off screensaver on PC!

Wednesday: Went to bed last night around 11pm after half watching villa play liverpool. I didn't sleep properly the night before when I slept on two single seat armchairs pushed together, so I wasn't surprised when I collapsed in bed after the match. Unfortunately, I woke up at 1pm, chest feeling even worse (lying down seems to make it worse) and the howling wind and rain outside forced me to think twice about the gym this week. Kind of annoyed as I am getting into it. I have figured out that the trick involves a good playlist, sticking to the plan and not worrying about anyone else in the place. Probably should have gone to leopardstown, but the sandymount gym is familiar and "homely" now. Plus, no annoying under 18s!

May as well finish this week up right now:

Thursday: Nothing.

Friday: Nada.

Saturday: Zipp.

Sunday: Long spells of nothing with brief showers of Football Manager.

Arghh!

• Advertisement

Are you still ill? You'd better be.

Lumen wrote: »
    Are you still ill? You'd better be.

Yes, unfortunately. Luckily I have a back log of christmas video games to occupy me. Hopefully next week I will be back in business, but I think any potential silverware will have to wait until next season ;)

Hopefully next week I will be back in business

Get well soon. I'm sure you know this already, but it's important that you don't attempt to make up for lost effort when your epic plan recommences. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

New Week 2:

Monday: Decided not go to the gym, have a bit of a cold which always seems to go straight for my chest. Also, crappy weather has me pinned inside.

you and me both, sucks doesn't it?? :(:( get well soon dood.

Week 3 (so far):

Well, I took Lumen's advice and have used this week to try and ease myself back into it. Feeling fine, but my lungs are not use to any kind of strain yet and it is showing.

Monday/Tuesday: Rest days and Orwell sign up, finally a member and have the jersey!

Wednesday: Went to the gym, took the mountain bike. Journey took forever, wore LOTS of layers and still cold but felt good for it. Only managed about 2/3s of regular programme, place was pretty busy. Turned off a front light that was still on a bike, flashing away. Don't know how the guy missed it but that's my good deed for the week.

Thursday: Paying for yesterday, legs feel tired. Went into town and back to a friend's instead. Driving the defender in this weather is great fun!

Friday: Popped on the turbo for "Aerobic power 2". Only got 30 mins before a call came in that I had to go and perform taxi duties for the parents. Huzzah! Still, managed to keep the high intensity regions in 300-320W and recovery kept at 90-100W. Too bloody hot in the house. Chest started to tighten up toward the end, wouldn't have been able to finish the hour. Stupid lungs, I need to source a new set. Also got my brother to (reluctantly) take some snaps so I could have a look at various body angles and roughly see what my setup is like. He still needs to understand the concept of orthogonality:

101622.JPG
    (Hey, Lumen does it so now I am too! I have more, ladies PM me for the "Dirk on turbo" 2010 Calender ;))

According to GIMP they are nearly all pretty good. Thought I took a photo for fore/aft position but it's not there, oh well. I had to raise the saddle after he used my bike, it's still too low. The angle above between ankle, knee and hip is ~ 139 degrees when it should be between 145-150 degrees. Photos are too blurry, probably good though as it obscures the grow back. No comments about my clothing, I don't go euro indoors! Those adidas shorts are quite comfy though and I think they cost only 30 euro on CRC. Bought 2 pairs.

Saturday: Did nothing. Went out, blinded in a snowball fight, slept in friend's cold apartment, not a good idea.

Sunday: 35 mins on the TT, just mucking around. Did a few sprints but was just trying to keep the legs spinning rather than working in zones. Did some single leg workouts, I'm not sure how beneficial they are, I mean you pedal with both feet and that in itself should smooth out any deadspots. I would have thought high cadence work is better than single leg stuff, but who knows, I guess there is some reason Carmichael goes on about it. Sprints were limited by gearing (50x12) and a balancing act of not going too mad and rocking the bike all over the place. Prefer doing sprints on the road, might cut them out of my TT.

Pretty poor week, but I expected as much coming back from illness. Younger brother is able to start exercise again so he has promised to go gym with me, hopefully should motivate me. Looking forward to prospect of some snow biking next weekend, need to go out on real roads with real people to gauge improvements, if any.

Keep an eye on that ankle angle when you raise the saddle.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭short circuit

Keep an eye on that ankle angle when you raise the saddle.

That is sound advise .. 145- 150 at the knee is recommended for people with decent hamstring flexibility ... not sure where yours is .. but if its poor and you raise the saddle .. you will get the angle at the knee but end up with a severe angle at the angle because your leg can't drop as much ...

Still reading and trying to figure out my Irishfit report .. which is where this is coming from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭zzzzzzzz

Dirk, Just remember....

europolice2.jpg

Hamstring flexibility not amazing but slowly improving. Saddle will only be raised a few mm. Hopefully when I hire a better photographer I can get some more photos.

Week 4:

Monday – Went to the gym with my brother, we went to Leopardstown instead of Sandymount. Big mistake! There is no comparison between the two. Managed to get most of my routine in, I'm still not hitting the upper body stuff yet, I mean it's pointless isn't it? The core stuff really appears to be working, my bike position feels better, my back doesn't hurt anymore and for the first time in 26 years, I can nearly touch my toes! I reckon I'm a week or two away from achieving my dream.

Tuesday – Dicking around on the turbo. Left it quite late and forgot my brother was back to school in the morning, so I had to keep the noise down, which meant no big efforts. It felt good just be on it, watched some more mad men, love that show.

Wednesday – No gym, chilled out with some friends instead, watched Liverpool implode yet again. Contemplated going after the match (it's open till 11pm!) but I was a bit worried about dropping temperatures.

Thursday
    – Aerobic power 4. Warm up was 120-150W, 4 repetitions of 6 mins High Intensity (230-250W) + 4 mins Low Intensity (90-100W). Setup was better now, no annoying screensavers popping on, plenty of fluids and the window open for a bit of ventilation.

Friday – Went to the gym, tough old session. Cycle back I encountered that teenager on the hybrid, really felt like my (sporadic) workload was making me go backwards. I also need a new back wheel on my commuter.

Saturday – The boards “Epic Bickering” race. Great day out, felt like an eternity since I had been out on the road with everyone. The descent from Howth was great, I think “flight of the valkyries” should have been playing as everyone descened en masse to the crossroad. My initial idea at the east link was just to go for a little sprint to the end of the road and rejoin the group. When Blorg and Nietzschean came with me, we just kept on going, realizing that (with Blorg doing much of the work, me hanging on) we were opening something of a gap and the race was on. My efforts at the front were short and not very strong, I really started to fade as soon as we hit Killiney. I still don't have the power to compete on the flat, but hopefully that will improve before the racing starts.

Sunday – Went out last night, home early morning. I was pretty tired, not drinking much but not able for the bike today. Feeling good about the coming week though, just glad the snow is gone.

Week 5: It must have been love, but it's over now...

Monday: Swapped the gym for the return of football. 7v7, 1.5 hours, first game of 2010. Really happy with how I played, it was a low scoring game (25 minutes between goals at one point, playing "next goal wins" wasn't the 5 minute affair it normally is) but bagged 2, one was a sublime finish with a flick on the outside of my weaker right foot. Even better was the fact I was doing a lot of running and wasn't tired at all, felt really good.

Tuesday: Aerobic Power 2, 49 mins: 10 minute warm up @150W, 3x[5x(60 sec High Intensity @260-280W+20 sec Low Intensity @150W), 3 min recovery @ 90-100W], 1x[(60 sec High Intensity @260-280W+20 sec Low Intensity @150W), 5 min recovery], 5 minute cooldown (varying power output, just messing around).

Felt good after this, my legs were really stiff after football, especially the hip flexors. Always happens to me after hard running, i.e. fast sprinting. Cycling helped, but really need to start making use of all the plunge pools, jacuzzis, saunas, etc. and maybe invest in some recovery tights.

Wednesday: Disaster! An attack out of the blue: I woke up with no energy, feeling a little hot and just crap. Tried to go downstairs and have breakfast but after 30 minutes I crawled back to bed. I got the flu, spent the rest of the day in bed and happily slept away.

Thursday: Still crap, no temperature anymore but sore, tired and feeling like I might hurl at any moment. Only managed to eat a burrito (yes I know, no exactly light food) at around 11pm, first food in god knows how long.

Friday: Still crap, no change there. Still not eating, just trying to drink water and lucozade. Trying to keep away from everyone around the house, lots of hand washing.

Saturday: Woke up, feel fine! Still a bit weak (might be the lack of food) and resisting the temptation to just go to town on whatever is in the fridge. Drinking some 7UP, starving but at least I feel better. Working out when I can make a return to the bike, Probably next saturday. I reckon I went back to soon after the chest infection and my immune system was still run down, so unless I want this log to turn into "diaries from the boy in the bubble" I'm just going to have to take the hit and sit it out. I don't think I was this sick (bar hangovers) in all of 2009, really sucks! On the plus side (pure tongue in cheek, proper boards fashion) I just weighed myself and I have dropped 1.5Kg to a sporty 63.5Kg!

Sunday: Hopefully the new bars will arrive tomorrow so I can occupy myself with something. Will be sticking the old ones up for sale.

• Advertisement

I just weighed myself and I have dropped 1.5Kg to a sporty 63.5Kg!

WTF? I had no idea you were so light. That explains the climbing ability then.

Get well/fat soon.

WTF? I had no idea you were so light. That explains the climbing ability then.

Get well/fat soon.

I can't believe in all our conversations that weight never came up. I'm pretty sure I know you are 70-72Kg?

Obviously any climbing ability I have is not from rigorous training, as you can see :)

I saw an add for some 7 euro KFC chicken zinger meal last night, I have never had KFC (indeed when I have seen other people eat it it looks a lot greasier than on the telly) but I made a promise that I will get one of these meals next week. Then some abrakebabra, euro saver, double whopper.....

Then some abrakebabra

Don't do it. I ate a schwarma kebab from there in preparation for a turbo session a few days ago and felt so nauseous I had to skip the session and go to bed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Don't do it. I ate a schwarma kebab from there in preparation for a turbo session a few days ago and felt so nauseous I had to skip the session and go to bed.
    Come on, you're here long enough to know that the last thing you buy from abrakebabra is a kebab.

I just weighed myself and I have dropped 1.5Kg to a sporty 63.5Kg!
    Out of curiosity dirk what weight were you for W200 last year? I am guessing you are about 175cm, hard to judge a persons height when they are sitting on a bike. Always amazed when i meet people off the bike as they are always much taller than I imagined. Hope the flu has cleared

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

I can well believe you are that size. You need to eat more. One day you will fade into the ether.
    BTW, when you do start eating I recommend that you avoid the KFX thing. Of all the fast food it seems like a good idea but is actally vile.

Whereas with Abbers and Supermacs, at least they never see like a good idea.

178cm, 65Kg...I think I may have been a bit lighter last year, but over my life my weight has never really fluctuated much despite how much or little I eat. I think the 1.5Kg has mostly been due to dehydration.

My appetite has now returned, going to make some scrambled eggs after the Leinster match then order some take out, (don't worry ROK ON not KFC, saving that for next week :))

Taller than I thought and as ROK ON said don't drop too much below that weight 65kg (unless you are planning the Marmotte) When you start racing you will find most races are relatively flat so you will need all the power you can muster but then I think you know that anyway. Did you join a club?

Cheers Sy,

Yeah no plans to drop weight, I was hoping to build up some muscle with the gym work. That was going fine until this week, I guess I will be starting off from square one after this week. Ideally I would like to keep it around 65-66Kg while getting rid of any untoned mass, imcreasing leg strength, flexibility and core strength.

Oh, I joined Orwell, looking forward to starting but any grand plans will have to wait for next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭rottenhat

Oh, I joined Orwell, looking forward to starting but any grand plans will have to wait for next year.

It IS next year. Get it together, Dirk.

• Advertisement
Advertisement