Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pet monkey in free ads.

Options
  • 03-12-2009 6:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭

so a few days ago i saw a capuchin monkey in the newspaper ads.
    I was really interested, so i went online and did some research.
    i have a few questions that I can't seem to find the answer to:
    don't you need a DWA license to keep one in Ireland?
    what are the cage requirements for 1 capuchin monkey?
    doesn't €300 for a monkey seem really odd?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Theres nothing odd about it, its a scam.

While you can get Monkeys in Ireland, you wont get one for €300.

If your looking for something different maybe you should look at a Sugar Glider.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

It's a scam. Those ads are on Gumtree sometimes too. I report them and they get taken off.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Perhaps do more research first it's cruel to keep monkeys eg capuchins on their own they are social animals and require a small family group and a lot of space plus when they mature they can be pretty aggressive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Perhaps do more research first it's cruel to keep monkeys eg capuchins on their own they are social animals and require a small family group and a lot of space plus when they mature they can be pretty aggressive.

I wouldn't worry too much, there's never an actual monkey on offer with these ads.

There was a hilarious thread on After Hours by a guy who decided to answer the ad in order to have a bit of fun with the scammer. Well worth a search.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭FAYESY

The sad thing is I know people who fall for these scams & they have lost almost €1000!

Primates are always over €1000 in price - you need a pair at least of 3-5 in most groups only the dominate pair will ever breed. The bigger the primate the more they cost - so a capuchin would be over €2000 maybe even close to €3000 - usually around €5000 per pair. No genuine breeder will advertise in the free ads - most breeders of rare exotics are very wary of advertising what they keep.

We have no DWA in the republic unlike Northern Ireland or the UK - which is silly! We should have some rules!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

FAYESY wrote: »
    The sad thing is I know people who fall for these scams & they have lost almost €1000!

Sorry, but I've no sympathy for anyone who falls for this. Anyone who thinks "Ooh, a pet monkey, that sounds like a great idea," quite frankly deserves to have bad things happen to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

Honey-ec wrote: »
    Sorry, but I've no sympathy for anyone who falls for this. Anyone who thinks "Ooh, a pet monkey, that sounds like a great idea," quite frankly deserves to have bad things happen to them.

Agreed. Monkey owners are selfish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭FAYESY

funkyjebus wrote: »
    Agreed. Monkey owners are selfish

So I AM SELFISH THEN - please explain!

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Satyr_The_Great

I know a number of people who keep monkeys as pets. Are they selfish? No they're not. Are people who keeps dogs selfish? Are people who keep cats selfish? Are people who keep any kind of pet selfish??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

I think perhaps what the poster meant by selfish, was people who are ill equipped to care for a monkey, or uneducated in the lifestyle and care needed for a monkey. Like people who think 'it'd be cute' to have a monkey, and have one on it's own and not feed it right or whatever.
    A lot of people think 'ooh I'd love one of those' (not just monkeys) and do not research or really look into how much time and effort and care goes into it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Easy on the ??? there buddy.

OP, def a scam. There was a similar thread a while back where we looked up the companies involved and showed them to be scammers.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055520426 agus http://www.face.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=59966377

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭yugimon121

thanks for the replies,
    i knew several people who all emailed this guy, and 2 of them were scammed on dating sites before for 400+.
    could a mod lock this thread, there is nothing more to be said.

Advertisement