Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do I have a PCI-Express slot??

• 03-12-2009 8:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I don't know my away around the insides of my old Dell Optiplex 3000 but having upgraded to Windows 7, Im getting error messages that I need to upgrade my graphics card. Unfortunately I think I have only one free PCI slot, and I cant find a simple PCI graphics card.

However.. I ran a programme that says I have a PCI-Express slot somewhere. I thought these were the latest thing and I'm not sure if I do have one. The PC was bought in Jan 06.

Can anyone tell from the pic of my board whether I have a slot and so what Graphics card would suit?

Thanks!!

97960.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,532 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Trotter wrote: »
    Hi all,

I don't know my away around the insides of my old Dell Optiplex 3000 but having upgraded to Windows 7, Im getting error messages that I need to upgrade my graphics card. Unfortunately I think I have only one free PCI slot, and I cant find a simple PCI graphics card.

However.. I ran a programme that says I have a PCI-Express slot somewhere. I thought these were the latest thing and I'm not sure if I do have one. The PC was bought in Jan 06.

Can anyone tell from the pic of my board whether I have a slot and so what Graphics card would suit?

Thanks!!

Looks like a 1x PCI-E slot there (the small black one). Video cards are available for this, but they're rare and usually very crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 209 ✭✭noodletop

from your pic both slots look like pci slots
    pci-e slots have the small space on the opposite end of the slot to pci:D

i could be wrong and if i am im sure someone else here will tell me so:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Spear wrote: »
    Looks like a 1x PCI-E slot there (the small black one). Video cards are available for this, but they're rare and usually very crap.
    isnt that agp

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,532 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

guil wrote: »
    isnt that agp

No, it's nothing like an AGP slot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 209 ✭✭noodletop

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,230 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

are you sure its telling you upgrade the graphics card and not saying you need to update the graphics driver?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Its telling him to upgrade his graphics card as it dosent support aero.

And FYI thats 2 x pci slots, and a 1x pci-e slot

You can also get 1x pci-e graphics card, but they are as rare as rocking horse shit

albatron_9500gt.jpg

Thats a albatron 9500GT 1x pci-e card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Realistically its a PCI I'm after so. Media centre won't work at all. Its telling me the video files aren't available and a seperate error saying I haven't got 64m graphics and to upgrade. I'll just get the bare minimum. I wasn't expecting to have to upgrade it at all.

Here's the first error...

97853.jpg

And the other one I got..

errorscreenshot.jpg

Would this be suitable and just a case of slotting into the available PCI?

http://www.dabs.ie/products/pny-geforce-6200-256mb-pci-dvi-tvo-4CQQ.html?refs=41600000-11

yes and yes

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

It will work but its 4/5 generations old. You should try and hunt down a newer generation pci or 1x pci-e as it will have added support for newer features like takign the strain from the cpu when watching media and encoding. It will also most likely have support for HDMI, and be more power efficient.

Anti wrote: »
    It will work but its 4/5 generations old. You should try and hunt down a newer generation pci or 1x pci-e as it will have added support for newer features like takign the strain from the cpu when watching media and encoding. It will also most likely have support for HDMI, and be more power efficient.
    Yeah but if you start spending any more money on this then you may as well have bought a new PC, Assuming you just got the Family pack or something youve still dropped 50 on new software and now youre ready to put 50 to 100 more into it, and its a 4 year old machine. it barely seems worth it, particularly for such a - frankly- poorly specced machine to begin with. The whole thing cant be worth more than 250, before any upgrades.

This is the dilemma. I don't have 600 quid for a decent PC but if I can get another year out of this one by putting 60 quid into it, I'll give it a go. If this doesn't work, I'm going to raid the new garden shed fund :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Overheal wrote: »
    Yeah but if you start spending any more money on this then you may as well have bought a new PC, Assuming you just got the Family pack or something youve still dropped 50 on new software and now youre ready to put 50 to 100 more into it, and its a 4 year old machine. it barely seems worth it, particularly for such a - frankly- poorly specced machine to begin with. The whole thing cant be worth more than 250, before any upgrades.

250?? In fairness, you'd be lucky to get €50 for it.

OP - if you could find a PCI-E x 1 card (such as the one linked to above) it would be far better than any PCI card you could buy.

I would actually recommend you build a new machine (or check on adverts, you can get pretty decent machines for around €200 if you look).

I wouldn't bother installing Win7 on it, as it will CRAWL.

And to confirm again, the small black slot is a PCI-E x1 slot.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭garethmc

Exact same problem... Anyone know where I can purchase a PCIe X1 card....

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭garethmc

Just having the same problem also... Anyone know where I can buy one of these cards or any 1x pci-e graphics card?

albatron 9500GT 1x pci-e

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

You'd be doing very well to find one. To be honest, you'd better getting a new motherboard and new graphics card, which you could do for 100 euro.

Advertisement