Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Craughwell AC 10-Mile Road Race 14th March 2010

• 03-12-2009 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭

Okay - here goes my pimping!

craughwell-logo-sign-runner.jpg

When: Sunday, March 14th 2010 at 1:00 PM
    Where: Craughwell National School
    Details:
    - Flat accurate AAI Measured 10 mile course.
    - Incorporating AAI Galway 10 mile Club Championship (indiv + team)
    - Main cash prize is for MIXED TEAMS (3 Male/3 Female)
    - Individual and Category Prizes - Top 25 male, top 25 female T-Shirts
    - Gifts for all
    -Online entry fee 20 euro
    - Maximum entries: 500

Entry form on RunIreland.

Race info page on the club website.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Nice prep for Connemara half 4 weeks later.
    500 limit will fill up rapid I imagine. Hmmm will I won't I will I won't I:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

littlebug wrote: »
    Hmmm will I won't I will I won't I:confused:
    Ah you will you will you will :)

ok I did.. i'm in :D
    I just hope it's not tooo close to Connemara and I also hope to goodness there will be other slowbies running it and I'm not last :o

Nice touch on the mobile number bit ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭mrak

littlebug wrote: »
    ok I did.. i'm in :D
    I just hope it's not tooo close to Connemara and I also hope to goodness there will be other slowbies running it and I'm not last :o

Nice touch on the mobile number bit ;)
    It's a good prep for Connemara and don't worry about slowbies - most of our club will be doing it and fit4life is the biggest part of our senior club.

On the mobile.. easy known we read the boards!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Occamist

Great to see Craughwell having a club race. I'm looking forward to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

I'm in and passed the info on to a few of the lads. 6 of us registered so far. At 20euro this is great value and everyone I have spoken too reckons it will be a great event and very well organized. Looking forward to my maiden 10mile race. :cool:

At that price, coupled with it being a county cahmpionship event, I'd imagine it will fill fast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 08081967

I ran the 10 mile course this morning, it's a beautiful scenic course, the turlough looks great or has it been reclassified as a lake?

It should be a good day.It will be a good run prior to Connemaraton in April.

08081967 wrote: »
    I ran the 10 mile course this morning, it's a beautiful scenic course, the turlough looks great or has it been reclassified as a lake?

It should be a good day.It will be a good run prior to Connemaraton in April.

Hey - if you're from near Craughwell and up to running 10 miles you should consider joining.. unless you're in the club already of course which I suspect you might be. Re the course - hard to say how it will pan out in a race but it will be fine I hope - main danger is one part flooded in the recent rain so hopefully it was a freakish 1 in a 100 year thing so we might need to rebadge as a trathlon.

FYI we're about 25% full now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭ronanmac

Signed up and looking forward to it (provided my son's sibling-to-be doesn't arrive two weeks early!). Can't get over the amount of new races popping up for 2010, not just in the west but nationally. Next year's fixtures list is coming along nicely...

So far so good - 184 signups - if it keeps going at this rate we should hit our target.

http://www.craughwellac.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=558&Itemid=70

Main prize is for first mixed team 3 male/3 female - I wonder if there'd be any interest in a BAC team doing a smash and grab 2 hours from Dublin..?

• Advertisement

As this race is starting to fill up (260 entries now), had some feedback from folk that just don't like online entry (probably not too many of those on this forum!).

We put a paper entry form on the site to cater for those that don't like sending their credit card information to the evil russian nigerian hacker enclave that operate runireland.

http://www.craughwellac.com/images/attachments/craughwell10entry.pdf

By the way we'll also be taking entries at Tuam 8k this weekend and at Athenry 10k on the 23rd if you want to bring an extra 20 squids with you.

Cheers!

Mark.

disclaimer: runireland is not actually run by evil russian nigerian hackers afaik - they are evil french galway hackers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 101 ✭✭a123

ooh be careful one of them is from a little known village in the wilds of the west called "Craughwell" sometimes pronounced Crawell or even Crockwell!!! - hmm why does that place sound familiar:D
    They are evil people them.;)

I'll keep posting the figures here in case people are like me and leave registration till the last minute "in case they get injured".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

Nice one mrak, I'm in. Thanks for the heads up.

Just adding to the heads up - about 90 slots left. I know it's a pain limiting numbers but we want to make sure it's manageable while we learn the ropes.

sold out yesterday. Hard luck to those that didn't make it in. Those that did - see you on March 14th!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,713 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Alright, nearly there now. Hoping to beat my only other 10 miler time (1.32 from adidas race last summer). Should be okay since i managed 35 mins in raheny 5 there a while ago. Anyone else got targets this weekend?

Ol' Donie, a PB coming up so. I think I'm good for a PB myself 70min at Frank Duffy and I think I'm good for 63:??. However the real goal is Rotterdam marathon 4 weeks later so I'm still not sure if I'll go all out. Will see.

I'm looking forward to this. Haven't been to Galway in a while....lets hope the weather stays as it has been.

From met.ie
    Saturday and Sunday will both continue mostly dry with varying amounts of cloud; however, a few light showers may affect coastal districts of the north and northwest. Winds will be light to moderate, west to southwest, over the weekend and temperatures by day will be near normal for mid-March

Too early for a detailed regional forecast but it looks good :)

My goal is to finish in one piece feeling confident that going the half marathon distance in connemara is possible. Time is irrelevant (if I say that often enough I'll believe it).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

Will be my first 10 miler so PB on the way :) not lookign for anything too fast though. Its a build up race to the Connemara Half for me.
    Anything in the high 70s and I will be happy.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the weather forecast littlebug! I hope things will go well - I have been mad with work so there are tons of loose ends but will be all right on the day hopefully :-) !

If anyone asks you to help in organising a race don't agree lightly - t'aint easy!

Best of luck to everyone taking part - pb's will be run.

Mark.

Def PB for me too as I've never done a 10 miler before! Am going to use Craughwell as a tester for the Connemara half, pace-wise. Good luck with the big day, mrak, hope all goes well and smooth!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Been out with injury for an eternity so this is the big comeback race. Id love to go 59mins but that could be wishful thinking. At the very least it'll let me know where I stand. Aint gonna be pretty, blood and guts all the way I reckon.

Not a massive standard on the first year I'd say glancing through the entrants, probably due to the unavoidable proximity to BallyC. I'd say if you break 59 you'll be top 10 maybe top even 5. Good luck!

mrak wrote: »
    Not a massive standard on the first year I'd say glancing through the entrants, probably due to the unavoidable proximity to BallyC. I'd say if you break 59 you'll be top 10 maybe top even 5. Good luck!

In another life for sub 60 - maybe! :P

Looking forward to Sunday. PB assured also as it's my first race over the disance.

Who's the favourite for the race?

pgibbo wrote: »
    In another life for sub 60 - maybe! :P

Looking forward to Sunday. PB assured also as it's my first race over the disance.

Who's the favourite for the race?

I don't know the lads from outside connaught but this is my predicted top 3:

Male
    1. Gerry Ryan 51:48
    2. John Byrne 53:55
    3. TJ McHugh 55:53

Female:
    1. Catherine Conway 59:45
    2. Regina Casey 61:02

Mark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 467 ✭✭Mick Rice

Really, really looking forward to this now. This'll be my first real test of how things are going with the Conne Ultra in mind. It'll be head down from the gun and a case of die dog or sh!te the license...

Mick Rice wrote: »
    Really, really looking forward to this now. This'll be my first real test of how things are going with the Conne Ultra in mind. It'll be head down from the gun and a case of die dog or sh!te the license...

You'll go very well - enjoy and thanks again for all the help with equipment, etc.

Actually top 3 boardsies prediction:

1. Mick Rick: 57:44
    2. Tunguska: 58:46
    3. Aburke: 59:12

You'll go very well - enjoy and thanks again for all the help with equipment, etc.

Thanks for the vote of confidence mrak, I'll try live up to your prediction!
    Are you running yourself?

• Advertisement

tunguska wrote: »
    Thanks for the vote of confidence mrak, I'll try live up to your prediction!
    Are you running yourself?

Not this week - I'll be working the timer. I'll be stepping out in east Cork next week though :)

Not this week - I'll be working the timer. I'll be stepping out in east Cork next week though :)

Im down to do that myself. Dont know if I can make it though, Im having a few transportation issues. Hopefully though, heard theres a seriously strong field entered. Even Mark keneally has thrown his hat into the ring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭aburke

Brutes: 57:00

I'll be doing very well to go under the hour - it would be almost 2 mins off a PB set in Ballycotton last year.

There must be some more runners lurking here though!

aburke wrote: »
    Brutes: 57:00

I'll be doing very well to go under the hour - it would be almost 2 mins off a PB set in Ballycotton last year.

There must be some more runners lurking here though!

How could I have missed Brutes. Yeah - he and Mick and Martin c and Timmie Glavey will have a right old battle. Nice to be watching for a change..!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭aburke

Uncanny Mark! My stopwatch has 59:11.5
    Rice has 57:56 on the results at
    http://www.craughwellac.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=602&Itemid=78

Great show by Craughwell AC! Top notch organisation. Take a bow!

Great stuff - I think all went well.. ! The weather helped of course. Provisional results up here and the full will be available later in the week - we're off out now!

http://www.craughwellac.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=602

• Advertisement

Great stuff Mrak.... absolutely top notch! Some tough hills but I really enjoyed it and beat my time goal. I wasn't last ( I think- I didn't really care at that point as all my energies were focussed on just being alive :o )

But hey I've a lovely shiny new 10 mile pb to go with my lovely shiny new medal :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 467 ✭✭Mick Rice

Just want to add my congratulations here. A simply great race - all you could ask for an more. If you weren't there today make sure you are next year.

I had a kinda funny race I struggled more and more as the race went on and was in trouble before halfway, but managed not to slow down too much. Now that I look at them my splits were fairly steady but that bdoesn't reflect how much 'cr4per' I felt as the race went on (5:40, 5:49, 5:46, 5:50, 5:43 (28:49), 5:50, 5:46, 5:48, 5:55, 5:47) (57:56)

Room for me to improve next week in Ballycotton - not sure I could say the same for the race organisers - a classic in the making.

Mick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

Just to add in another well done. brilliantly organised event from start to finish. Course was tougher than I expected but very enjoyable. and I managed to give my target time a good kicking :)
    Very nice finishers medal as well.
    As for the food and drink at the end there was enough to feed an army.

Well done to all. Definitely a date for the diary next year.

BrokenMan wrote: »
    Well done to all. Definitely a date for the diary next year.

Yeah hopefully nobody is reading ;) I'm booking early next year. A cracker of a race today. Faultless.

Was tough enough with all those small hills but I loved the course.

Hey Mrak, congrats to you and the club.

I managed to get the last top 25 male finisher t-shirt :D:D:D Delighted with a pb of 62:13.

Congratulations, mrak and Craughwell AC, that was one fantastically-organised event. I'm pretty new to club events, most races I had done until this year were commercially-organised events. Every time I enter a club race, though, I'm struck by the high level of organisation, and Craughwell has really raised the bar! From the parking at the start to the food at the end, everything was really well-organised, and the race itself was fantastic, despite the fact that I wasn't expecting that hill at 5.5 miles! Fair play, and I'm looking forward to next year.

• Advertisement

+1 on all the congrats being offered. It was a fantastic event and the organisation was unreal. A fantastic show of hospitality by the locals too. The smbos, cakes and buns were awesome. Serious kudos to Craughwell AC and all that chipped in to help yesterday.

Didn't see you there yesterday mrak. No doubt you were beavering away in the background. COngrats again to you all.

Hi Pgibbo - yeah - I got to watch the first 40 or so finishers and after that I was cooped up in the office for the day.! A few minor glitches on the results to sort out but happy enough with things. The race director was a chap called Peter O'Sullivan and he did a smashing job of pulling everything together.

There were a bunch of photographers around the course. Were they from racepics or for some local paper or something? Anyone know where the pics can be seen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,713 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Just wanted to add to all the well deserved praise here. Really enjoyed the day. Couldn't fault it in any way. Everything was perfectly well organised. The tea and sambos were great, and i really like the medal. A couple of little touches put the icing on the cake - the kids with buckets of celebrations at the end, the text message with my result, and (unless i imagined this) my name being called out as i approached the finish line. Big thanks to mrak and everyone else at craughwell ac. Brilliant. Managed to knock 17 mins off my pb, finishing in 1h 15 mins.

There were a bunch of photographers around the course. Were they from racepics or for some local paper or something? Anyone know where the pics can be seen?
    They'll come out in time misty but a few are here.

If races were cars the aware 10k(9k)would be a skoda and The Craughwell 10 mile would be a Rolls Royce.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Murraythree

Excellent event and well done to all concerned. One question Mrak, just wondering why there was first, second and third place awarded in some age categories i.e. M40 and only first and second in other age categories i.e. F40?

Excellent event and well done to all concerned. One question Mrak, just wondering why there was first, second and third place awarded in some age categories i.e. M40 and only first and second in other age categories i.e. F40?
    Hi there Murraythree - that actually was a copy paste error from me. There were only two awarded in the M40 cat. The results were only done on the day up to the 1st 300 finishers due to time however I'll be getting F60, etc medals and prizes and publishing the full list once the results are finalised. Next year we will use chip timing so it will be quicker to work out the results.

I didn't do too bad - 3 seconds out on average!

Name|Predicted|Actual
    Gerry Ryan|00:51:48|00:50:35
    John Byrne|00:53:55|00:53:10
    TJ McHugh|00:55:53|00:56:17
    Catherine Conway|00:59:45|01:00:34
    Mick Rice|00:57:44|00:57:56
    Tunguska|00:58:46|00:59:42
    Aburke|00:59:12|00:59:06
    Average|00:56:43|00:56:46

Tunguska would argue that the timing was a second or two out which would have made me bang on - I can't go messing with the result times though as the man working the timing clock is a pro!

I didn't do too bad - 3 seconds out on average!

Name|Predicted|Actual
    Gerry Ryan|00:51:48|00:50:35
    John Byrne|00:53:55|00:53:10
    TJ McHugh|00:55:53|00:56:17
    Catherine Conway|00:59:45|01:00:34
    Mick Rice|00:57:44|00:57:56
    Tunguska|00:58:46|00:59:42
    Aburke|00:59:12|00:59:06
    Average|00:56:43|00:56:46

Tunguska would argue that the timing was a second or two out which would have made me bang on - I can't go messing with the result times though as the man working the timing clock is a pro!

Sure we wont fall out over a few seconds.
    Besides, the great caca milis myself and misty enjoyed post race more than made up for any miscarriages of timing justice

• Advertisement
Advertisement